2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

19 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Hand, Giles, and Drayton the only holdovers.   Need to find WR, TE, DL, LB, and DB coach.

I'm a little surprised Warehime isn't sticking around - but I guess Herman has to allow Yurcich at least a couple of hires.

Belmont Plumbing Dept is thankful!!

Listened to FCB podcast so you don’t have to give that fucker clicks/listenership

-Mentions Elijah Robinson for DT coach, stealing him from aggy

-Heard Rob Smith, former Arkansas and Minnesota DC for LB coach(aggy analyst right now)

-heard Emmett Jones for receiver as well as Carrier 

-if I have to hear Bobby Burton called The Godfather by FCB one more fucking time....

-FCB loves the Yurcich hire and is meh on the Ash, Burton is the reverse

-Penn state and Notre Dame both wanted Yurcich per FCB

-Burton says to watch for Akina to come back to coach CBs 

Edited by RGBIII
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Emmett Jones and Tyron Carrier have been names mentioned for WR coach.

Frank Okam and Charlie Partridge have been talked about at DL.

Any names for TE (besides the one obvious) or on the defensive side at LB & DB?

Ash seems likely to coach safeties. Bringing Akina back is the name that keeps popping up for CBs 

• Like 1

Just now, RGBIII said:

Listened to FCB podcast so you don’t have to give that fucker clicks/listenership

-Heard Rob Smith, former Arkansas and Minnesota DC for LB coach(aggy analyst right now)

-heard Emmett Jones as well for receiver as well as Carrier 

-if I have to hear Bobby Burton called The Godfather by FCB one more fucking time....

That would be incredible - but Akina is a west coast guy and basically has it made at Stanford.  Considering Ash's reliance on man coverage from his corners - would be a great hire.  Wonder if this is just wishful thinking or if Burton has actually heard something.

Hopefully Emmett Jones and Carrier are both on staff, as wr and te coaches. 

te coach should spend 99% of the time recruiting and 1% of the time making sure the tes know when to report to the wr coach and when to report to the ol coach.  

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

-heard Emmett Jones as well for receiver as well as Carrier 

I think Robinson is up for a couple of jobs - including a possibly re-uniting with Rhule if he goes NFL.

I had to wiki Robb Smith.  He spent a year in the NFL coaching LB's for Tampa.  Also spent some time coaching at Rutgers (well before Ash got there).

Carrier and Jones would do a good job locking down Houston and Dallas.

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

Yes I am aware of the rule change but I prefer the chances of a big return over accepting touchbacks.

How many other teams around the country are fair catching kickoff returns at the 10 yard line?

Perhaps it was because we were so fucking bad at special teams that it was the best option?

Lol holy shit. You’re actually complaining about taking the ball at the 25, not the dropped fair catches. 

There were a shotload of things to bitch about regarding our special teams. Taking the ball at the 25 is not one of them. kicks were caught at the 10 because the kickers were putting extra height on them to bait teams into returning so they’d get worse average starts than the 25. Taking the ball at the 25 every time is absolutely the best strategy. 

30 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Hand, Giles, and Drayton the only holdovers.   Need to find WR, TE, DL, LB, and DB coach.

I'm a little surprised Warehime isn't sticking around - but I guess Herman has to allow Yurcich at least a couple of hires.

Maybe because Warehime absolutely fucking sucks at every aspect of his job?

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

What else does Surly want Herman to change besides some of the assistants??

Video below (4min mark) mentions Herman's August practices as too physical... Might have lead to this 2019 team having more injuries.  I hope Mensa's Damn burnt toast and powdered eggs Bullshit goes away!!

Lulz. The injuries had nothing to do with physical practices in August. Our roster was healthy going into the season other than RB, which was due to too thin of a depth chart. Most of the injuries that actually hurt us were due to bad coaching: terrible tackling technique and putting our guys in bad spots. 

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That would be incredible - but Akina is a west coast guy and basically has it made at Stanford.  Considering Ash's reliance on man coverage from his corners - would be a great hire.  Wonder if this is just wishful thinking or if Burton has actually heard something.

Have you seen how many players are fleeing that program? Something’s not right there, and I bet Akina can recognize it’s even more of a sinking ship than Texas. Whether he decides Texas is the best place for him to go is another matter. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Hopefully Emmett Jones and Carrier are both on staff, as wr and te coaches. 

te coach should spend 99% of the time recruiting and 1% of the time making sure the tes know when to report to the wr coach and when to report to the ol coach.  

Jesus man. You’re making greenspoint look smart with this post. 

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

Yes I am aware of the rule change but I prefer the chances of a big return over accepting touchbacks.

How many other teams around the country are fair catching kickoff returns at the 10 yard line?

Perhaps it was because we were so fucking bad at special teams that it was the best option?

I prefer players be coached to make good decisions. They should fair catch if they judge they'll be swarmed at the catch. They should catch and return if the coverage won't be all over them AND they see good potential for a return. All that requires good judgement and the odds won't always work in their favor, but fine tune the coaching to the player as required. And if a player continually exercises bad judgement, he loses that job. One or two mistakes shouldn't lose them the position permanently, but it might lose them that duty for the rest of a game.

Edited by sith_horn

13 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Herman has been given the opportunity to do what should have been done three years ago, hire some coaches with worthy of their title at the University of Texas. Regardless of what we think of our douchebag head coach, the coaches he’s hired so far have a track record, in the positions they’ve been hired for, which make them worthy of the title they now hold. 

I don’t give a shit about their head coaching tenures at some shitty ass schools because that’s not what they’re being hired for. I can think of multiple failed of failing HCs that would be an absolute steal as coordinators or position coaches. 

In theory, they have the tools to compete for the conference next year as well.

I prefer players be coached to make good decisions. They should fair catch if they judge they'll be swarmed at the catch. They should catch and return if the coverage won't be all over them AND they see good potential for a return. All that requires good judgement and the odds won't always work in their favor, but fine tune the coaching to the player as required. And if a player continually exercises bad judgement, he loses that job. One or two mistakes shouldn't lose them the position permanently, but it might lose them that duty for the rest of a game.

I can agree with this but there were a lot of times that when it was waves there was no defenders close.

Just now, Bevo VIII said:

I get the analytics side of it but the analytics also told Mensa to go for it on 4th down in field range multiple times.

The analytics didn’t tell Mensa to run shitty plays all the time when he went for it, like QB power into a loaded strong side or that awful QB run against OSU when he had Smith wide open on the bubble screen. And good analytics didn’t always dictate he go for some of the ones he went for. 

• Like 1

-heard Emmett Jones for receiver as well as Carrier 

As disliked as FCB is, he has developed some sources for content inside Belmont since the Herman regime started. Mixed in with his bs is sometimes some real intel. The hard part is distinguishing real from fantasy.

Burton doesn't like either hires really, surprised Surly isn't supporting him lol

side note.. FCB got done with propping up the 247 network with Taylor adlibbing in the background.. Then he goes to the guest segment and the guest has left the 247 network and is on another competing one lol

Edited by Thiefery

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Just listened to the podcast - I get the impression that Burton was putting his name out there as someone who should be up for the job - not necessarily someone Herman has already reached out to.

Yep, but also heard smoke from Rod Babers on longhorn blitz as well

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Yep, but also heard smoke from Rod Babers on longhorn blitz as well

Barbers would be someone who could have inside info on Akina. They’re still close.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Do we want Akina back?

Fuck yes. With the caveat that we’re assuming he’s good with being just the CB coach and no sort of co-DC role.

He’s about as good of a coach as you could find at teaching fundamental CB technique, especially in press man. He’d be exactly what Ash needs to have his scheme succeed in the Big 12. 

• Like 9

Burton doesn't like either hires really, surprised Surly isn't supporting him lol

side note.. FCB got done with propping up the 247 network with Taylor adlibbing in the background.. Then he goes to the guest segment and the guest has left the 247 network and is on another competing one lol

I’m told we shouldn’t
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Yes I want Akina back on the 40 acres. Why not let Beatty coach TE's?

Why not let Beatty stay fucking unemployed? People think he might be a good recruiter but we already have candidates likely as good or better than him being thrown around the board. Fuck it, is it too late to get Fedora back too? Maybe you can entice Tim Beck and Mehringer back personally for us. Fuck. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why not let Beatty stay fucking unemployed? People think he might be a good recruiter but we already have candidates likely as good or better than him being thrown around the board. Fuck it, is it too late to get Fedora back too? Maybe you can entice Tim Beck and Mehringer back personally for us. Fuck. 

Bring back Bedford and Shawn Watson!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

We obviously want a staff full of failed head coaches, including our current head coach.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Yes I want Akina back on the 40 acres. Why not let Beatty coach TE's?

Oh I don’t know. Maybe because he’s never coached TEs before, he failed horribly as a HC, he has minimal position coaching experience at a big time P5 program, he has a reputation of being kind of an asshole, and his reputation as a recruiter is drastically overrated due to two years where he got to sell Manziel Heisman hype  during a time when Texas sucked. 

On the other hand, if we can get Beatty and Partridge combined with Ash and maybe Charlie Weis as the TE coach plus bring back Greg Robinson, then we could have the worst combined HC record of any college football staff ever. 

So I’d say it’s pretty much a wash. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

and his reputation as a recruiter is drastically overrated

I remember a *little bit of hype about him #onhere around the time he was brought on, but ya, he probably is a bit overrated and it appears we can do a lot better there. 

*I said "a lot" pre-EDIT, but I'm probably misremembering. 

Edited by UncleBuck