2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

You forgot Allen Pink-ett. Another colored RB!

I read his wiki and saw that he is married. Back when he was playing, I talked to him for awhile at a bar near the medical center and I thought he was gay NTTIAWWT.

Per teh Googlez:

Valai played under Ash in his SR year at Wisconsin. Is from DFW and opened a training business there for a few years after graduating. QC for Kirby Smart at UGA for two years, 2016-17. Found a thread about him as a possible position coach hire at UGA last off season. They thought highly of his time there and evidently was a difference maker as a recruiter when he was sent on the road to recruit (https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Board/19/Contents/Jay-Valai-and-Philip-Daniels-127598678/). 2018 QC with the KC Chiefs before spending this past season at Rutgers. And it appears he was a backup plan after the CB coach Ash had just hired at Rutgers took a DB coach job with the NY Giants almost immediately (https://www.onthebanks.com/2019/2/15/18226291/report-rutgers-football-set-to-hire-jay-valai-as-cornerbacks-coach-chris-ash-big-ten-wisconsin-nfl).

Honestly, I'm as skeptical as anyone with the Rutgers thing but I wouldn't completely hate it. Coordinators tend to bring a guy or two they're familiar with. It's not like he's been tethered to Ash's hip his whole career. Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into it, but a guy who knows Ash's system, got to work on Kirby Smart's defensive staff for two years, and has shown the ability to be a plus recruiter and is a native Texan. No doubt I'd like to see Texas do better; the one year of position coaching experience can't be undersold as a red flag. You need a good teacher at CB coach. That said, we know Washington isn't very good. I think I'd be willing to take the chance but Texas should be able to get someone better. So I guess I'm torn if he's the guy. Could be a colossal mistake, could be buying low on a rising star.

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Have only seen good things recruiting-wise regarding Valai. Coaching on the field? Yikes, we'll see.

He was a personal trainer for NFL wannabies and based on video, it looks like he does a good job motivating. Hopefully, he knows how to coach (he says he is a football junkie).

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Has some reasonably encouraging resume points, but seriously we should probably be doing better here.

Maybe, but he is probably more accomplished than Frank Okam. The biggest problem is the same problem with Okam - It requires a little faith that he projects to a top tier program.

7 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Anwar also mentioned that Okam and Lupoi were the two names he's heard regarding the defensive tackle opening.  He went over Lupoi's resume in great detail in the article. Partridge out of contention for personal reasons.

Either one of those two would be a great choice. 

Its interesting - I found a few articles/threads speculating that Valai would be brought back to Georgia to fill the DB coach spot last season - and fans excited because of the work he had done as a recruiter/QC coach. Not sure what to think - I like the idea of at least one young coach on his way up being a member of this coaching staff. 

That said - if we end up with Valai, Carrier, and Okam - that’s not a whole lot of coaching experience. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Can any of you fuckers name 1 lb, rb, ol, coach on LSU this year?  

You can’t. HC, DC, OC are what matters. 
I wish I was an orthopedic surgeon and I could retire with the hand wringing going on here. 

LB - Aranda (DC), considered for a while as one of the best defensive coaches in all of CFB.  We hoped Herman would get him to come to Austin.

RB - Tommie Robinson (he coached at Texas).

OL - not sure - you can look it up.

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Either one of those two would be a great choice. 

Its interesting - I found a few articles/threads speculating that Valai would be brought back to Georgia to fill the DB coach spot last season - and fans excited because of the work he had done as a recruiter/QC coach. Not sure what to think - I like the idea of at least one young coach on his way up being a member of this coaching staff. 

That said - if we end up with Valai, Carrier, and Okam - that’s not a whole lot of coaching experience. 

I think Okam and Carrier have proven that they can be competent or better on-field position coaches in the B12. Okam getting Baylor firmly into the mix with Collins and Princely tells me he can recruit at least competently as well. He should have no trouble landing his share of DL talent at Texas. With the WR spot in general, but especially here given what's happened with Mehringer and the recruiting hits the program has taken at the position, the focus needs to be on a strong recruiter/relationship builder. I don't know enough about Carrier to say whether he fits the bill there. Valai has already been discussed.

I will say this, though I doubt it's a factor in Herman, Ash, or Yurcich's thinking, just kind of the way things are shaking out: Given that the pool of CFB players is disproportionately black, hiring multiple young, up and coming black coaches can only help in terms of team morale, which we've heard discussed as an issue throughout a tough year and obviously in certain position groups, as well as with prospects and parents on the recruiting trail. Representation and the ability to relate can be big.

• Like 3

Well, if we are hiring bagmen, then it means we are finally ready to win.  I’m down with being the most hated program in college football if it means crushing everyone on the way to the top.  Especially if it means breaking Saban along the way.  I hope this isn’t a fever dream.  I want to send Bama into their own fucking ten year death spiral.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Well, if we are hiring bagmen, then it means we are finally ready to win.  I’m down with being the most hated program in college football if it means crushing everyone on the way to the top.  Especially if it means breaking Saban along the way.  I hope this isn’t a fever dream.  I want to send Bama into their own fucking ten year death spiral.

How much can you break a man who's already won 6 national championships?

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

How much can you break a man who's already won 6 national championships?

I can remember his radio calls when I was in high school and he was at LSU.  The man hates winning ugly and really hates losing.  I’d like to maybe just knock their QB out and stomp on their fucking throats.  That’s still the only time we’ve lost to the motherfuckers in football.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Per teh Googlez:

Valai played under Ash in his SR year at Wisconsin. Is from DFW and opened a training business there for a few years after graduating. QC for Kirby Smart at UGA for two years, 2016-17. Found a thread about him as a possible position coach hire at UGA last off season. They thought highly of his time there and evidently was a difference maker as a recruiter when he was sent on the road to recruit (https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Board/19/Contents/Jay-Valai-and-Philip-Daniels-127598678/). 2018 QC with the KC Chiefs before spending this past season at Rutgers. And it appears he was a backup plan after the CB coach Ash had just hired at Rutgers took a DB coach job with the NY Giants almost immediately (https://www.onthebanks.com/2019/2/15/18226291/report-rutgers-football-set-to-hire-jay-valai-as-cornerbacks-coach-chris-ash-big-ten-wisconsin-nfl).

Honestly, I'm as skeptical as anyone with the Rutgers thing but I wouldn't completely hate it. Coordinators tend to bring a guy or two they're familiar with. It's not like he's been tethered to Ash's hip his whole career. Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into it, but a guy who knows Ash's system, got to work on Kirby Smart's defensive staff for two years, and has shown the ability to be a plus recruiter and is a native Texan. No doubt I'd like to see Texas do better; the one year of position coaching experience can't be undersold as a red flag. You need a good teacher at CB coach. That said, we know Washington isn't very good. I think I'd be willing to take the chance but Texas should be able to get someone better. So I guess I'm torn if he's the guy. Could be a colossal mistake, could be buying low on a rising star.

So we're hiring Ash's version of Mehringer? Fucking wonderful...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Less coaching experience, but with much better recruiting/personality reviews.

So pretty much nothing like Mehringer.

Sooo... young Jason Washington? OK, I guess. I sincerely hope the people posting about him being our bag man are correct if that's the case.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Lupoi appears to be interviewing with NFL teams as well so I would think his preference is to stay there.

The guy needs a job. His preference is getting the best job he can get. He has been in the college ranks all his career except for last year in Cleveland. That shit show probably did not provide a good impression of the NFL. So why would you say his preference is the NFL?

Edited by DanTheHorn

2 hours ago, RiceOwl said:

Don’t exactly understand the instinctual opposition to a coach just because he’s from Rutgers when the DL coach many are clamoring for went 4-20 in his last two years at Rice before “falling upward.”

Yep. The “DL coach” totally went 4-20. 

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

if he is a plus recruiter and a below average coach, maybe Ash is assuming he can spend more time with the CB’s to compensate.

Maybe Ash isn’t hiring him with the idea he’s a below average coach?

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

We just fired a bunch of below average coaches that were plus recruiters.

Actually, most of them weren’t even plus recruiters, which makes it even worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I think Okam and Carrier have proven that they can be competent or better on-field position coaches in the B12. Okam getting Baylor firmly into the mix with Collins and Princely tells me he can recruit at least competently as well. He should have no trouble landing his share of DL talent at Texas. With the WR spot in general, but especially here given what's happened with Mehringer and the recruiting hits the program has taken at the position, the focus needs to be on a strong recruiter/relationship builder. I don't know enough about Carrier to say whether he fits the bill there. Valai has already been discussed.

I will say this, though I doubt it's a factor in Herman, Ash, or Yurcich's thinking, just kind of the way things are shaking out: Given that the pool of CFB players is disproportionately black, hiring multiple young, up and coming black coaches can only help in terms of team morale, which we've heard discussed as an issue throughout a tough year and obviously in certain position groups, as well as with prospects and parents on the recruiting trail. Representation and the ability to relate can be big.

Oh, right, I remember when we did this under Strong and how well it worked out.

😐

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Based on the Athletic on the Baylor DL this year, it sounds like Okam is the teacher and the other DL coach is the personable one. That would lead me to believe the other guy is the recruiter, but it doesn't talk about recruiting in the article. 

So, Okam sounds like another Giles. Which is fine, imo. I'm a fan of bringing him on. I just don't know if he's the rainmaker DL recruiter we've been discussing for the last couple of years. 

2 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

I'm against rape but bagmen? Everyone else is doing it. If you're not cheating, you're not trying. I'm tired of losing.

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Like 3

Jai Valai seems like a potential recruiting ringer, which is fine in general, but this season Texas needs stud coaches on the field, especially at CB and LB, since if they don't win, how well they recruit won't matter much anyway, since they'll all be getting fired. Maybe he knows what he's doing, but one year as a field assistant is pretty shallow for this important spot. Or maybe Ash thinks he can help carry him where he's weak? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Based on the Athletic on the Baylor DL this year, it sounds like Okam is the teacher and the other DL coach is the personable one. That would lead me to believe the other guy is the recruiter, but it doesn't talk about recruiting in the article. 

So, Okam sounds like another Giles. Which is fine, imo. I'm a fan of bringing him on. I just don't know if he's the rainmaker DL recruiter we've been discussing for the last couple of years. 

McGuire was more of a second head coach who helped carry a lot of the load in general game planning and recruiting, and the second DL spot was a place to park him since he's a long time head coach who can coach pretty much every position; he'd never coached DL before

10 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

We just fired a bunch of below average coaches that were plus recruiters.

This.

I hope anyone who posts sincerely about wanting a "plus recruiter" gets randomly punched in the face today. 

How about we hire some actual fucking coaches who can develop talent and coach the sport?

• Like 1