Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Meanwhile OU's last 2 hires were coaches with no HC experience, and that worked out pretty well.  Ohio State.  Clemson.

HC experience is overrated, IMO. 

I don't disagree that HC experience is somewhat overrated but let's keep some context around those citations. Ohio State elevated someone already on the staff of a program operating at its peak. OU did the same with Lincoln Riley. And Dabo Swinney was a battlefield promotion, initially-- good for them that they stuck with him long enough to build them into what they've become. Stoops is your best example but that was 22 years ago now. 

On top of that, who really knows? We would all have been just fine with Mack retiring in January 2010 and handing the reins to Will Muschamp.

I think we're a significant rebuilding job, not in the sense of "we're 1-10 and have 1-10 talent" but in the sense of, recruiting is short-term fucked, the talent on the roster is Charmin soft and spoiled, and this program's culture is absolute shit. We've come full circle to 1997 (although regrettably there's no analog to Ricky Williams on the roster). 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Day and Riley were handed programs running at a high level. So half of your examples are not applicable to the actual job at hand. 

Perhaps, but 4 years in they both seem to have not had a drop off at their respective programs. And both have winning records against their rivals, and conference titles. That ain’t bad.

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That would be a hell of a choice to make.  Firing a guy with a winning record and replacing him with a coordinator who has never been a head coach at any level.

*I should add that I don't think its a bad choice - just not what would usually be expected.

It'd be out of character for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Right. Texas didn’t make a full court press for Urban Meyer and Texas has not been talking to potential candidates other than Meyer. Literally nothing has happened. Jesus fucking Christ people get ahold of yourself. 

Guess we will see but never forget that good intentions and poor performance is.....poor performance.  

43 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Those last three conference records show that Harsin knows how to be the big fish in a little pond. He may not know how to win championships but we have to move away from Herman.

Unless I read that wrong, Harsin won or shared the conference championship in every year he was a head coach aside from one.  That would be a nice change of pace around here.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Not one this year other than UM. Harsin in the same boat with about 5-10 other “prospects”. Yes, better than Herman, just not enough to where they’d turn Texas around instantly like UM would.

Keep Herman, give him and his coordinators a full offseason to get it together and start your vetting process now for his replacement next year in case we stumble again.  No Covid excuse, smaller buyout = easier firing. 

Negged for in case they stumble? In addition to worries of buyout size.

2 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Seriously? Ou is going to the title game with a QB that still has spots. Drop off my ass. 

Because Herman wouldn’t let his senior QB go for 2 and win during regulation.  Sam probably would have scored but even if he didn’t, he earned the right to go for the win.  Fuck Herman

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I have friends laughing at me for thinking Herman gets fired. Sending me articles/tweets titled "Herman to return in 2021". 

There better be a really good fucking reason we've chosen to handle this this way. 

Because from the outside looking in it appears that unless Urban Meyer changes his mind, Tom Herman will be the coach next year.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

His son was a decent poster and the creator of one of the funniest fucking things I’ve ever followed on the Internet. 

In fact, there was a point in this thread in which someone had a buddy at the Horseshoe Bay airport tracking a plane from Columbus. He snapped a photo of the passenger and sent it in and the poster posted it. It was a fucking Property Brother. When I saw that, I laughed out loud because it reminded of when, somehow, Louie Anderson entered the fucking Ponzi Scheme Involving Gold thread. Outstanding shit in both threads. 

@closetojumping

I should probably disclose that I don't go to or near airports.  Maddenbus only.  And refuse to be buddies with plane trackers and curtain analyzers.  Too many liars, trolls, scalawags, and catfishers. 

Also, that pic of the Property Brother may or may not have happened recently.

@closetoSearchGoogleForImage

Edited by clapclapclap
Allegedly alleged I cannot confirm at this time

15 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

It doesn’t matter what coach gets suggested, someone’s gunna have a problem with some aspect(s) of hiring them. Maybe it’s warranted, but other than Urban, we might have to hold our noses a bit and let it play out. A lot of us ain’t know shit about how some of these guys would work out.

Most on this board knew Watson and Beck were not going to work and the new coaches had stumbled out of the gates with their hires. There is a difference between warts and guys that would fail here. I put Cristobal on my list of folks that would fail.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

Most on this board knew Watson and Beck were not going to work and the new coaches had stumbled out of the gates with their hires. There is a difference between warts and guys that would fail here. I put Cristobal on my list of folks that would fail.

I didn’t know if Watson or Beck would work. But the optics suggested they were both lazy hires.

• Hook 'Em 1

There are going to be obvious bad choices, but just about every gotdamn option under the sun has been mentioned on this thread or that one, and every damn one of them have been met with multiple “no” and reasons whys. Not sure if I wasn’t clear enough.

1 minute ago, Horn80 said:

What’s the white square chunks?  Onions?

Our family has always cubes a couple of small potatoes into chili.  Dad says it helps with the indigestion.  I'm not sure about that but it adds a bit to the taste.  Of course there is onions and bell pepper.

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Especially after watching Gators lose at home to a bad LSU team last night.

I mean, the only P5 head coaches without a dumb loss this year are....Saban/Meyer/Day/Fitzgerald/Dabo/Kelly/Jimbo/Helton? And they've all got dumb losses at point or another. And they've all been debated at one point or another. I think judging coaching candidates on one bad loss is gonna leave a bunch of y'all disappointed with whomever the new hire might be.

(Multiple dumb losses is a different story, and yes, I'm looking at you Tom).

1 minute ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Our family has always cubes a couple of small potatoes into chili.  Dad says it helps with the indigestion.  I'm not sure about that but it adds a bit to the taste.  Of course there is onions and bell pepper.

Interesting addition but looks awesome.

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I have friends laughing at me for thinking Herman gets fired. Sending me articles/tweets titled "Herman to return in 2021". 

There better be a really good fucking reason we've chosen to handle this this way. 

Yeah, I am texting one of my best friends that is an Auburn grad about how jealous I was that his school could actually fire an underperforming coach without talking about it for 2 months.  He asked what we were doing and if we were really keeping Herman.  I just told him we were being Texas.

4 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Yeah, my mom makes a Mexican stew that looks just like that. It's delicious. It also isn't chili (at least not in this state).

1 hour ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I'd go all in for Urban or Eric Bieniemy, the OC for KC Chiefs.    It won't be long before the NFL makes Eric a HC, unless we got to him first.  However, about anyone or anything would be better than TH.

Bieniemy had some success as the vikings RB coach with Adrian Peterson. Now he has success as Chiefs OC with Mahommes and Andy Reid calling plays. I'm gonna take a hard pass on that one. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Day Crew: Here's why Urban's not coming and we'll be lucky to settle for Bronco Mendenhall.

Night Shift: Here are all the reasons Urban is coming and it will be glorious.

Swing Shift: Meh. Let's hope for the best but expect the worst.

Team Swing Shift it is then

7 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Your potato soup looks pretty good

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure if a hispanic or mexican deal, but have had it that way a few different places. One friend’s mother simply called it “con papas.” Some picadillos are similar.

Some are more just hamburger meat soupy, some more like chili, just depends on who makes it.

4 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Bieniemy had some success as the vikings RB coach with Adrian Peterson. Now he has success as Chiefs OC with Mahommes and Andy Reid calling plays. I'm gonna take a hard pass on that one. 

Whatcha say is true....some success.  My thinking is he knows the dynamics of the college game and recruiting.  Worked with twice now with Reid and should have learned something.  Probably could be signed on without breaking the bank.

Edited by Bevo&Pevo

6 minutes ago, Octavian said:

@closetojumping I think you mentioned that you heard that the push for Meyer was not 100% dead right? Or is it now the case that Meyer would need to be the one to come back and say he reconsidered as the administration/donors have moved on to other candidates?

CTJ Address that question here

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, jinx said:

Unless I read that wrong, Harsin won or shared the conference championship in every year he was a head coach aside from one.  That would be a nice change of pace around here.

National Championships. Also, by big fish in little pond I meant he would not treat the TCUs of this world as if we were an underdog.

Not sure if a hispanic or mexican deal, but have had it that way a few different places. One friend’s mother simply called it “con papas.” Some picadillos are similar.

Some are more just hamburger meat soupy, some more like chili, just depends on who makes it.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic