Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

So Urban had some players that ran wild at UF? 

Mack had players running wild. Aaron Hernandez killed at least one person, and possibly three. He was a full on psychopath. That wasn't really UM's fault, but he did seem to help cover up some warning signs. Regardless, it was more than some players running wild. Though still well short of Baylor/Penn State level shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Texasrocks said:

Mack had players running wild. Aaron Hernandez killed at least one person, and possibly three. He was a full on psychopath. That wasn't really UM's fault, but he did seem to help cover up some warning signs. Regardless, it was more than some players running wild. Though still well short of Baylor/Penn State level shit.

Hernandez killed someone while at UF?

Just now, Texasrocks said:

He ran off Cam Newton after he stole another student's laptop, then threw it out his dorm window.

11 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

Never heard anything bad aboutUM at Bowling Green. Never heard a peep in Utah.  So Urban had some players that ran wild at UF?  Mack had his fair share of players who were boneheads.  Brock Edwards?  Robert Joesph?  Every big time school has it's share of guys that break rules.

Zack Smith is a piece of sh!t. UM had an unbelievable sense of loyalty to his grandfather.  That was his mistake.  I never heard a single statement about issues at a Florida involving women. It wasn't until ZS had his legal issues that things were said.  

If UM wants to coach again and go for a MNC at a 3rd school, I am all for it.  This team lacks leadership and player development,  Those are UM’s strongsuits.  Hire him, flip a couple of recruits and prepare to win. All the snowflakes and piss off.  

Yep. Mack Brown had players getting arrested seemingly every week in our prime in the mid 2000s. Did anyone care? Nope. The only time you pretend to care is when your team sucks and you try and stand on that moral ladder and look down on other programs who are actually winning because they aren't as "clean" as we are. Do you want an Art Briles situation or Paterno? Fuck no. Obviously. But Urban was nowhere near what they were. It is overblown how "out of control" his teams were off the field.

Is there a correlation between "bad boys" who cause a ruckus off the field and winning college games? Not sure but hell, sometimes I think there is a little bit. It sure was the truth here in the mid 2000s.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. Mack Brown had players getting arrested seemingly every week in our prime in the mid 2000s. Did anyone care? Nope. The only time you pretend to care is when your team sucks and you try and stand on that moral ladder and look down on other programs who are actually winning because they aren't as "clean" as we are. Do you want an Art Briles situation or Paterno? Fuck no. Obviously. But Urban was nowhere near what they were. It is overblown how "out of control" his teams were off the field.

Is there a correlation between "bad boys" who cause a ruckus off the field and winning college games? Not sure but hell, sometimes I think there is a little bit. It sure was the truth here in the mid 2000s.

"we gangsta" - Vince Young...make it so.

3 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

We have posters running sprints against each other? We might as well have a surly olympics.  100 yard dash, bench press, uncle rico football toss, etc.  It would be glorious.

Well, Festivus is coming up soon ...

24726205.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

We have posters running sprints against each other? We might as well have a surly olympics.  100 yard dash, bench press, uncle rico football toss, etc.  It would be glorious.

You forgot the "Paystub Challenge"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t think a picture of me has ever been posted. I beat that same poor bastard poster by more than 10 yards in a 100 yard sprint like a year ago. I’m 6’2”. Typical futureman nonsense. 

lulz.  you’re a short tubby bitch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, so I'm on the Urban train. I don't believe he's a good person, and I was very much saying he should be fired by OSU during the Zach Smith drama, but I'll compartmentalize that and enjoy the trophies if we hire him. 

I do want to hear the other side though. As far as I know, there was nothing else at OSU or pre-UF. I know he coached Aaron Hernandez and a couple other bad dudes at UF, but did he actively cover up for them? There's a big difference. This article goes over some stuff but I'm wondering if there's more. I watched the Carlos Hyde video and it's not terrible. Hitting women is bad but it's nowhere near Joe Mixon or Ray Rice. Being suspended a quarter of the season seems about right if the slap is all he did wrong. I read the Aaron Hernandez wikipedia page and it seems like Urban wasn't complicit in that. If Belichick doesn't get blame for that I'm not sure Urban should either. 

So if someone could summarize all the dirt on Urban I would really appreciate it. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Ok, so I'm on the Urban train. I don't believe he's a good person, and I was very much saying he should be fired by OSU during the Zach Smith drama, but I'll compartmentalize that and enjoy the trophies if we hire him. 

I do want to hear the other side though. As far as I know, there was nothing else at OSU or pre-UF. I know he coached Aaron Hernandez and a couple other bad dudes at UF, but did he actively cover up for them? There's a big difference. This article goes over some stuff but I'm wondering if there's more. I watched the Carlos Hyde video and it's not terrible. Hitting women is bad but it's nowhere near Joe Mixon or Ray Rice. Being suspended a quarter of the season seems about right if the slap is all he did wrong.

So if someone could summarize all the dirt on Urban I would really appreciate it. 

Who cares if he is a dirty bastard.  He will be our dirty bastard.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I do want to hear the other side though. As far as I know, there was nothing else at OSU or pre-UF. I know he coached Aaron Hernandez and a couple other bad dudes at UF, but did he actively cover up for them? There's a big difference. This article goes over some stuff but I'm wondering if there's more. I watched the Carlos Hyde video and it's not terrible. Hitting women is bad but it's nowhere near Joe Mixon or Ray Rice. Being suspended a quarter of the season seems about right if the slap is all he did wrong.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2018/08/02/urban-meyer-career-timeline-ohio-state-florida/891819002/

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

You don’t win championships with church boys.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, pops said:

Gruden could maybe do it.

Give Gruden 2 weeks of prep and he'd take this roster and tan OU's ass until they stained the linoleum in their trailers red.

Not sure if he would recruit worth a shit or even answer the phone when a BMD called, though, so there's that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Give Gruden 2 weeks of prep and he'd take this roster and tan OU's ass until they stained the linoleum in their trailers red.

Not sure if he would recruit worth a shit or even answer the phone when a BMD called, though, so there's that.

You know, as a Bucs fan I used to believe this, but after years of hearing his tough talk it gets old being mediocre. He would definitely do it in year one, tho. I'll give him that. 

50 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

I mean fuck Mack swept Sergio's repeated DUI issues under the rug. That was a disservice to Sergio ultimately. I know there was some more shit but I recall that players being kicked off the team. Robert Joseph or Henry James or whoever.

I'm not sure Ramonce (sp) Taylor ever attended a class at UT.

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

You know, as a Bucs fan I used to believe this, but after years of hearing his tough talk it gets old being mediocre. He would definitely do it in year one, tho. I'll give him that. 

For starters - it's much harder to win in the NFL.

And he has the Raiders playing pretty good football right now after a long hiatus.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

For starters - it's much harder to win in the NFL.

And he has the Raiders playing pretty good football right now after a long hiatus.

I agree it very much so is, but on the other hand can he identify with these kids? That's another thing you have to take into account. He's not a horrible coach, but he still has to connect with them, and his system is fucking hard as shit to learn, too. Regardless, it's hypothetical, so taking out the playbook he still has to recruit, he has to adapt to college, etc. It's just as hard to coach at a high level in college as the NFL, which is why you have coaches who can succeed at one and fail at the other. 

Also, I'm very impressed with how he has the Raiders playing. Derek Carr doesn't get the love he deserves, but he's a solid qb, which Gruden also didn't have in TB

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I agree it very much so is, but on the other hand can he identify with these kids? That's another thing you have to take into account. He's not a horrible coach, but he still has to connect with them, and his system is fucking hard as shit to learn, too. Regardless, it's hypothetical, so taking out the playbook he still has to recruit, he has to adapt to college, etc. It's just as hard to coach at a high level in college as the NFL, which is why you have coaches who can succeed at one and fail at the other. 

Also, I'm very impressed with how he has the Raiders playing. Derek Carr doesn't get the love he deserves, but he's a solid qb, which Gruden also didn't have in TB

we aren't seriously discussing Gruden to Texas, right?

5 minutes ago, fatheryeet said:

Mrs. Meyer liked this tweet saying CUM wouldn't coach at Texas

https://twitter.com/ztots1/status/1332481669446643713?s=09

while he is the only logical answer to fix this Titanic, I will be totally shocked if he is the next head coach at Texas.    I will be somewhat surprised if we actually fire Herman.  I have little trust in CDC to make the call. besides the tennis coach, he hasn't fired a coach yet, right?

6 minutes ago, fatheryeet said:

Mrs. Meyer liked this tweet saying CUM wouldn't coach at Texas

https://twitter.com/ztots1/status/1332481669446643713?s=09

I have a feeling we are going be very letdown. I remember this board was in similar spirits at the end of 2013 of getting Saban and then we get Charlie fucking Strong. Maybe the worst coach in UT history. Then we go get Herman.

Mack Brown, Strong, Herman were not these big time names and having prestige. Something tells me it won't be different this time around.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

while he is the only logical answer to fix this Titanic, I will be totally shocked if he is the next head coach at Texas.    I will be somewhat surprised if we actually fire Herman.  I have little trust in CDC to make the call. besides the tennis coach, he hasn't fired a coach yet, right?

Who fired the women's basketball coach, the softball coach, and the track coach?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TechTech said:

2020, where women and soft ass people make business decisions...no wonder this country is fucked

You think anyone who has gotten to the top hasn't fucked 10 plus people to get there. What do you not understand about the world being ruthless and cutthroat if you want to be the best. This isnt your smore fucking hand holding circle. People are pussies today and I I hope all of you simps get cucked.

Dad?

• Haha 2

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

I have a feeling we are going be very letdown. I remember this board was in similar spirits at the end of 2013 of getting Saban and then we get Charlie fucking Strong. Maybe the worst coach in UT history. Then we go get Herman.

Mack Brown, Strong, Herman were not these big time names and having prestige. Something tells me it won't be different this time around.

I agree.  I can only hope there is some realization that the game has changed and that our leadership doesn't want to be Cal/Stanford.  losing to TCU on the reg and aggy at 5 might help a bit with the pressure.  seems we don't really care that tOSU/OU/Bama clown us on recruits.  Losing to OU doesn't much bother us anymore either.  It seems we are happy if we can just be 2nd or 3rd which means we don't reeeaalllly need to sell our souls for Urban Meyer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

I agree.  I can only hope there is some realization that the game has changed and that our leadership doesn't want to be Cal/Stanford.  losing to TCU on the reg and aggy at 5 might help a bit with the pressure.  seems we don't really care that tOSU/OU/Bama clown us on recruits.  Losing to OU doesn't much bother us anymore either.  It seems we are happy if we can just be 2nd or 3rd which means we don't reeeaalllly need to sell our souls for Urban Meyer.

Yep. OU being better than us year in and year out is like water being wet sadly. Besides a few outlier years of when we were very good, OU has owned us. Even if we beat them at the Cotton Bowl, they still find a way to the Big 12 title game and get to the national championship game, 2008, 2018 come to mind.

But if aggy somehow found themselves into the playoffs before us, man, that is going to be rough for this fanbase and the donors. That could put serious pressure on CDC to turn on the heat and back up the Brinks truck for Urban. This actually could be the year it happens. Mond looks better than previous years and the SEC West is pretty shitty outside of Bama. And the whole covid thing has this season upside down. aggy does not even need to get to the SEC championship game. 

Losing the next game to Kansas could also make it happen. Although, Strong lost to Kansas in 2016 and we didn't shake anything up. We go and hire lame ass Herman.

1 minute ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

We're going to end up with something similar to Strong and Herman aren't we?  It's not going to be blockbuster I fear.  

spacer.png

I could easily see David Shaw if he thinks he's done at Stanford and believes he can win an NC here.   It makes too much sense and he's only 48.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic