Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

14 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I didn't say your leadership wasn't idiotic.  Winning can be your number one and only priority, but that doesn't automatically mean you're good at it.

But you're not making any sense.

You don't outbid LSU for a guy like Herman (a whopping 2 years' experience and field of red flags) unless you're convinced he's THE ONE.  You let LSU have him and hire somebody for less money with more experience and more accomplishments.  

As far as Mack scuttling Saban being "the story," that's y'all's story, not mine.  I've read it on this board 100 times.

This very thread has repeated instances from guys like CTJ and quotes from Nahlin assuring you that if Urban doesn't come to Texas, it's not because Texas didn't do everything in its power to make it happen.  You don't do everything in your power to hire Urban Meyer--knowing full well there's gonna be some loud voices crying DOMESTIC ABUSE ENABLER--unless winning is your first priority.  

And as I already mentioned, you don't eat however many tens of millions of dollars it is to buy out Herman and his staff, in addition to forking over whatever's necessary to hire a guy like Urban Meyer, if you don't prioritize winning.  You'd keep Herman and make a bunch of public statements about how far the program has come, is headed in the right direction, etc.  

This whole narrative is stupid on its face, and is just some kind of attempt to rationalize away all the losing, while implicitly equating Texas to Stanford and Cal.

You should be thanking God that Texas does prioritize winning and is therefore firing Herman and going after Meyer.  

Dude you're talking about like 3 different presidents and 4 different ADs and acting as if it's been the same leadership for the past 8 years.

i.e. you basically just added nothing to this thread despite penning a well articulated wall of text.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, pops said:

It was stupid in hindsight but he was groomed at Ohio State and put in the work at Houston. Yes,  there were a couple blips after it seems like he took the Texas job, but it looked like a home run at the time. No one could have known he was a fraud turtle. 

That being said,  fuck Herman. GTFO. 

Nah, man. Plenty of us called it at the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, pops said:

It was stupid in hindsight but he was groomed at Ohio State and put in the work at Houston. Yes,  there were a couple blips after it seems like he took the Texas job, but it looked like a home run at the time. No one could have known he was a fraud turtle. 

That being said,  fuck Herman. GTFO. 

A G5 coach is a coin flip.  Anyone who thought it was a home run had PTSD from Charlie.  Zero in his resume said he was going to be successful in a P5 conference but we had to hire someone because the Head Fucking Football Coach at Texas had just completed his 3rd straight losing season while losing to....................................................................Kansas.  

we fired 8/9 win Mack and hired a coin flip. I was like many people who thought any Texas coach should win 8-9 games a season given the talent so sure hire the coin flip.  holy shit was I wrong, apparently you can be a shitty enough coach to have 3 losing seasons in a row at Texas in the Big 12.    Herman is the 8-9 win guy but he's just competent enough to do that.  if he wins KSU/KU and you give him the cancelled cupcake and a loss to LSU(which this year could have been a win). he'd be at 8(or 9) wins.

He's shitty late era 2011-2013 Mack. who we fired because he was never going to win the conference again and recruiting had started to slip.

Its time to move on, have a plan to hire an actual home run, and stop being Cal.

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

A G5 coach is a coin flip.  Anyone who thought it was a home run had PTSD from Charlie.  Zero in his resume said he was going to be successful in a P5 conference but we had to hire someone because the Head Fucking Football Coach at Texas had just completed his 3rd straight losing season while losing to....................................................................Kansas.  

we fired 8/9 win Mack and hired a coin flip. I was like many people who thought any Texas coach should win 8-9 games a season given the talent so sure hire the coin flip.  holy shit was I wrong, apparently you can be a shitty enough coach to have 3 losing seasons in a row at Texas in the Big 12.    Herman is the 8-9 win guy but he's just competent enough to do that.  if he wins KSU/KU and you give him the cancelled cupcake and a loss to LSU(which this year could have been a win). he'd be at 8(or 9) wins.

He's shitty late era 2011-2013 Mack. who we fired because he was never going to win the conference again and recruiting had started to slip.

Its time to move on, have a plan to hire an actual home run, and stop being Cal.

You're probably right. I guess it comes down to there are maybe 3... maybe 4 guys that can actuality coach blue bloods. Dabo, Saban and Meyer. Then maybe Kelly. Maybe stoops. Gruden could maybe do it. After that everyone is a coin flip. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How is Kelly and stoops a maybe?

I was thinking the same thing lulz. Stoops kicked Mack’s ass all over the big 12 for 15 plus years. I hate that bastard but he absolutely can coach a blue blood. Fuck I’d take his smug ass right now except that joe mixon video haunts my soul. 

The way 90% of the board seems all-in on the idea that it's uniquely challenging to win at Texas is baffling to me.

It's like I'm on a Washington State or Vanderbilt board or something.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 3

No hire that we could possibly make is going to please 100% of the fanbase. There was a contingent who wanted Gary Barnett when Mack was hired.

What people fail to realize is that it is an AD's job to hire winning coaches. Not to be woke, or make a place for women's voices, or any other social issue. Right now, CDC is doing his job. Hiring the best coach available, one that will energize the fanbase, goose donations, and bring Texas back to the national spotlight. If he gets this hire, the rest of his job becomes easier, and he may settle in to be the next DeLoss if he gets the program headed in the right long term direction with clear succession should Urban step down. You can't realistically ask for more from a college football program or from an AD.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, pops said:

You're probably right. I guess it comes down to there are maybe 3... maybe 4 guys that can actuality coach blue bloods. Dabo, Saban and Meyer. Then maybe Kelly. Maybe stoops. Gruden could maybe do it. After that everyone is a coin flip. 

hiring Urban is the price we must pay to make up for the complete fucking Mack Brown and Steve Patterson gave us such that we had to eventually knee jerk and hire Herman.  He's the only option.  we can't afford another failure.  we need a guy that can compete against patterson, riley, and apparently Matt F'in Campbell on the football field and Bama/tOSU/LSU on the recruiting field.  slowing aggy's roll would be nice as well.

give him 5 years and Brinks truck and get this fucking trainwreck back on the track.  We don't have anyone with football knowledge anymore to save us from hiring Gary Barnett. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

You know this Amanda chick is right.  We need to hire a head football coach that is sweet, innocent and nice to everybody.  I for one really enjoy rooting for a shitty football team as long as the coach is a nice guy.  I am sure all the Alabama fans are sick to their stomachs rooting for a team coached by a piece of garbage.  Oh wait, they aren’t?  I mean the job of a football coach is to get wins and at places like Texas actually compete for a national title once in a while.  Maybe we should hire someone that fits that criteria instead of acting like we don’t want to be viewed as a football school.  Sorry, but we are a state school (a good one academically) that can also have good sports teams.  Once we straighten out the football mess we can fix the basketball mess we have on our hands and then you know what?  We will still be a good academic institution but actually have enjoyment from watching football and basketball teams that represent the fine university.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Is there a better breakdown of Meyer being a shit head behind the scenes?

The only information I could find was, at Florida, he allegedly had a "circle-of-trust" of star players that got to pretty much do whatever the fuck they wanted and this pissed off some other players. At Ohio State he knew about Zach Smith being a dip shit and didn't do much anything about it. I think I had heard that Smith had a legacy connection to the university so Urban may have had some trouble getting rid of him, I don't know.
I didn't seem to find anything about Urban having issues at Bowling Green or Utah. Does anyone have any additional information on what Urban was directly responsible for at Florida? At Ohio State?

2 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

The only information I could find was, at Florida, he allegedly had a "circle-of-trust" of star players that got to pretty much do whatever the fuck they wanted and this pissed off some other players. At Ohio State he knew about Zach Smith being a dip shit and didn't do much anything about it. I think I had heard that Smith had a legacy connection to the university so Urban may have had some trouble getting rid of him, I don't know.
I didn't seem to find anything about Urban having issues at Bowling Green or Utah. Does anyone have any additional information on what Urban was directly responsible for at Florida? At Ohio State?

That’s the gist of it. Oh if you want to get into the deep conspiracy side of it, he knew Aaron Hernandez killed someone and helped cover it up. 

38 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude you're talking about like 3 different presidents and 4 different ADs and acting as if it's been the same leadership for the past 8 years.

i.e. you basically just added nothing to this thread despite penning a well articulated wall of text.

I intimated no such thing, nor is that relevant in any way to my point.

Not sure why you think it is.

I appreciate the compliment within your criticism.  Cheers.

2020, where women and soft ass people make business decisions...no wonder this country is fucked

You think anyone who has gotten to the top hasn't fucked 10 plus people to get there. What do you not understand about the world being ruthless and cutthroat if you want to be the best. This isnt your smore fucking hand holding circle. People are pussies today and I I hope all of you simps get cucked.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

Smith was Ear Bruce's nephew or something like that

8 minutes ago, TechTech said:

2020, where women and soft ass people make business decisions...no wonder this country is fucked

You think anyone who has gotten to the top hasn't fucked 10 plus people to get there. What do you not understand about the world being ruthless and cutthroat if you want to be the best. This isnt your smore fucking hand holding circle. People are pussies today and I I hope all of you simps get cucked.

tommy wiseau denny GIF by The Room

That’s the gist of it. Oh if you want to get into the deep conspiracy side of it, he knew Aaron Hernandez killed someone and helped cover it up. 
So maybe there was an issue at Florida but nothing concrete or details. Allegedly no issues at Ohio State until Zach Smith.

The AD went down for that as well didn't he?

I'm not hearing Art Briles levels of gross misconduct unless there's a lot of shit we aren't aware of that's been swept under the rug after all these years.

I mean fuck Mack swept Sergio's repeated DUI issues under the rug. That was a disservice to Sergio ultimately. I know there was some more shit but I recall that players being kicked off the team. Robert Joseph or Henry James or whoever.

41 minutes ago, pops said:

yes those 6 easily.  there are more.  the problem is we dug our fucking  hole so deep that there is really only one logical option that has a long enough rope.

Edited by dcar00

1 hour ago, TexasMan said:

Looo forward to Texas hiring some ruthless motherfucker that wins and these broads being first in line to talk about how great texas football is. You only play the moral high ground card when you can’t actually win on the field.

If we wanna be fucking Stanford then go all in and hire a dude for a million bucks and be happy when we win 8 games. If you want a big time, winning program - and these broads clearly do - then accept you’re probably not gonna hire a choir boy to get that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChemicalHorn said:

Looo forward to Texas hiring some ruthless motherfucker that wins and these broads being first in line to talk about how great texas football is. You only play the moral high ground card when you can’t actually win on the field.

If we wanna be fucking Stanford then go all in and hire a dude for a million bucks and be happy when we win 8 games. If you want a big time, winning program - and these broads clearly do - then accept you’re probably not gonna hire a choir boy to get that.

cracks me up they think Herman is some kind of saint...par for the course.

Urban should have fired Zach Smith,  do they know who Herman hired?  let me guess, probably not...

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic