Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

18 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Can’t we just get Urban by offering a few dozen extra million per year, offering his son-in-law a spot on the coaching staff, guaranteeing his son a scholarship spot on the football team, and selling Shelley Meyer on the fact that Texas is a no lockdown state? Is that too much to fucking ask for a championship winning coach? 

If we can get him in here tomorrow, he can hire Zach Smith as the Public Relations Manager for all I care. 

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, you have done a great job of authoritatively stating something people already know, just like RapGameLarry.

I get the skepticism.  This is just a dumb message board.  Just passing along what I've heard and posters can choose to ignore it or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

Via TFB:

I have to hedge a little because there can misdirection with these things but a source passed along the following regarding the possibility of Urban to Texas…

***Am told Urban is not currently looking for a coaching job.

***Source also said he does not believe it’s just a play for money.

This does line up with what I noted fairly recently about the Urban Meyer to Texas possibility diminishing.

I’ll continue to check on this. I have a pretty good additional source to Urban’s camp and I’m going to see what I can find out from said source this week.

I’ll also obviously be looking out for some other names – should Texas make a move.

A few weeks ago those names were Mario Cristobal and PJ Fleck. Don’t imagine that will remain though.

well..that aligns with what I heard.  Sigh.

Every decision Herman made in the last ten minutes was a disaster. Fourth and one, go to shotgun? Instead of taking the three. Sam taking a fucking loss right before that FG attempt. Weren't they coming off a timeout? Does Herman give instructions to his QB? It's like Herman was trying to give this game away. THat alone should cast enough doubt on his commitment that CDC needs to can his ass. This was small-time fucking coaching in a big-time game.

31 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

Via TFB:

I have to hedge a little because there can misdirection with these things but a source passed along the following regarding the possibility of Urban to Texas…

***Am told Urban is not currently looking for a coaching job.

***Source also said he does not believe it’s just a play for money.

This does line up with what I noted fairly recently about the Urban Meyer to Texas possibility diminishing.

I’ll continue to check on this. I have a pretty good additional source to Urban’s camp and I’m going to see what I can find out from said source this week.

I’ll also obviously be looking out for some other names – should Texas make a move.

A few weeks ago those names were Mario Cristobal and PJ Fleck. Don’t imagine that will remain though.

Don’t believe this. It’s happening. Smokescreen. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Gotta make a run at Matt Campbell.

Why? Go get Urban. Someone actually proven.Campbell seems like another Strong or Herman type. Loses so often to teams he should beat. Occasionally beats superior teams to create the effect he is a really good coach. I want someone consistent. 

I have no idea where CDC goes now. Every other coach out there either has baggage or question marks about winning it all: Christobal, Fleck, Pederson, Stoops, Campbell, etc.

I wonder if OU lucked into RIley or knew his potential.  It would be great to pick up a coordinator or obscure head coach that is the next genius, but I don't see that person out there. And even if CDC went that direction, people would complain it's not a big enough name, possibly damaging recruiting.

Edited by Dbeasy

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm pretty apathetic at this point. We've had Charlie and Tom. Can we go lower? Tune in to find out in December, kids. 

I hope Urban comes, but I'm not letting myself get excited because...well...we've seen how the last two hires went. 

I have a feeling we are going to get another "fresh up and comer" ala Herman or Strong. Urban Meyer scares CDC too much.

I see the name Campbell thrown around. But why? He's another Herman or Strong. A guy that sometimes will beat a better team but so often loses to inferior competition. You might as well keep Herman here if Campbell is your guy. The point of the new hire is to get better, not stay stagnant. 

• Hook 'Em 2

lulz.  oh now it comes out that he isn’t interested.  did it occur to any of you that $9.95 just wanted that money for the last two months?  CUM was never coming, he is never coming, and all of it was all conjured out of thin air from day one; complete and total bullshit from the word “go.”  surly and all of the other longhorn internets are sad, gullible assholes.  sorry none of you get to watch a grown man stick his hand in his ass, I know you wanted to, you sick fucks. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

I have a feeling we are going to get another "fresh up and comer" ala Herman or Strong. Urban Meyer scares CDC too much.

I see the name Campbell thrown around. But why? He's another Herman or Strong. A guy that sometimes will beat a better team but so often loses to inferior competition. You might as well keep Herman here if Campbell is your guy. The point of the new hire is to get better, not stay stagnant. 

Exactly.  Pretty much anyone we hire, just puts us in the same place we are now.

Except for Urban.

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

I absolutely agree with your Campbell point. It would be the dumbest thing on the planet to get a guy exactly like Tom. Beats people occasionally, but will never get to the top (as of right now). 

I can see your point about CDC being a little put off by Urban, but damn, I can't see anyone else who would be a sure thing. Another up and comer is so stupid. That's what schoolls like Louisville and Berkeley do. 

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I have no idea where CDC goes now. Every other coach out there either has baggage or question marks about winning it all: Christobal, Fleck, Pederson, Stoops, Campbell, etc.

I wonder if OU lucked into RIley or knew his potential.  It would be great to pick up a coordinator or obscure head coach that is the next genious, but I don't see that person out there. And even if CDC went that direction, people would complain it's not a big enough name, possibly damaging recruiting.

Not a great year for alternatives but would think it starts with Cristobal (who I don't see leaving), Campbell, and Fickell. Fleck and Franklin have taken themselves out of contention. Brian Kelly seems like a major longshot but would be as good as any other choices imo

I worry about Campbell because he's always had Purdy but he does seem to instill good fundamentals and discipline plus a solid, balanced O. With UT-level talent instead of ISU, that may be enough to be a contender. Cristobal has a pretty short track record too tbh and was gifted Justin Herbert

I don't believe CDC is scared of shit.  He knows he has to go big or go home.  Big money donors sitting on their wallets during Covid times is his worst nightmare .  He will do what has to be done or he will be kicking rocks down 15th street.  

Edited by lemonandaturd
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, futureman said:

lulz.  oh now it comes out that he isn’t interested.  did it occur to any of you that $9.95 just wanted that money for the last two months?  CUM was never coming, he is never coming, and all of it was all conjured out of thin air from day one; complete and total bullshit from the word “go.”  surly and all of the other longhorn internets are sad, gullible assholes.  sorry none of you get to watch a grown man stick his hand in his ass, I know you wanted to, you sick fucks. 

I believe most on this board in the back of their mind agrees with you. But after 10 years of mediocrity ya gotta hold out for some kind of hope the football gods are gonna smile down on you eventually.

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Theoretically, CDC getting wary about Urban could be true, because the about face by Urban on coaching again was a big suprise.  I don't have visibility of the Texas side on this, but if true I'll be incredibly pissed off.  That means we not only screwed up the Saban hire but also Meyer.

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Anyone we hire resets the expectations, the place we are right now is with a guy whos proven he isn't the guy. So almost any hire is better than where we are now.

No. 

Every guy being mentioned on this thread, whose name is not Urban Meyer, leaves us exactly where were are now.  Unable to win an average-to-poor conference with a team full of talented veterans.

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic