Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

6 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Just to be clear Urban Meyer is a scum bag and will run a shady football factory like OSU and Alabama.  If we win everyone will turn a blind eye to that but if we lose it will just make things that much lower.

What in Urban coaching history has said that we will lose? 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Just going to quote this so CTJ has to read it. 

Joke's on you he has you on ignore too. In fact, he has everyone on ignore. He just comes here to read his previous posts and add another to the mix. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t have any answers that you should trust. There’s allegedly an ongoing back and forth and that’s been the case for a while. It’s gone from hypothetical to real now and that means people are going to have to actually get to the bottom of what they really want and believe. 

Beyond that, my biases are straightforward regarding what I believe and how that impacts my posts and positions. Large organizations have a pathological need to fuck things up, driven by self interests associated to those in some fiefdom of control or those with egos who put their personal glory above the greater good. UT is exemplary of this on every level. 

My God you should go into politics. I feel like I think I know what you mean, but you could say I never said that, and I couldn't prove otherwise. Well done. Where do I send my 9.95?

• Haha 1

On 11/23/2020 at 12:45 PM, troph said:

Y’all know Texas is more likely to muck this situation up? Anyone banking on Meyer coming to Texas right now is a fool. And fools can be right (like a broken clock or a blind squirrel), but the odds favor us falling back on our “we’re Texas” pedigree and being the laughing stock of big time programs in this debacle (along with Michigan).

I think this is right.  But I do feel like the AD is in the best hands it has been in in 40+ years, even taking into account the extension.  So that may be a reason for hope.  That's only about 1/3 to 1/2 the equation, although it is possible that CDC establishes that he's more like 1/2 or more than previous formulations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Everyone knows we don't prioritize winning football games. We like to think of ourselves as being up there academically with Cal and Stanford.

We're Texas.

This is such nonsense.  I hear this from the same people who insist that Texas went after Nick Saban and was prepared to give him everything he wanted to make it happen, till somehow Mack Brown fucked it up.  You don't go after the multiple-championship-winning coach of fucking Alabma with both barrels loaded if you don't prioritize winning football games.

Furthermore, Texas didn't want to hire Charlie Strong, he was nowhere near the top of the list, but that's who they ended up with. Nevertheless they paid 5 million a year to a G5 head coach with 4 years' experience.  

Texas definitely wanted Tom Herman, as he was the flavor du jour when Texas fired Strong, and Texas won a bidding war with LSU for his services, and LSU absolutely does prioritize winning football games--this time paying 5 million a year to a G5 head coach with TWO years' head coaching experience.  It was a rash decision and the demand for him was manufactured to a large extent by the fact that both those schools wanted him, but Texas wanted him and was willing to do what was necessary to make sure he came to Austin and not Baton Rouge.

You don't outbid LSU for a coach with 2 years' experience at Cougar High and pay him stupid money (relative to his experience and lack of skins on the wall due that limited experience) if you're priority isn't winning football games.

And if Texas eats the buyout for Herman and his staff amidst everything that's gone down this year, including pay cuts and layoffs at the university, simply so they can hire a coach who wins more games, then nothing could make it clearer that Texas doesn't prioritize anything ahead of winning football games.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Yea, there's no way we're only offering a 3 year deal. Not only that, to get Meyer, the annual average would need to be at least 9-10 mil a year. 

He might only coach 4-5 years but it will be a fantastic 4-5 years and then he'll leave somebody the keys to a fucking Ferrari.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I'm not arguing this is definitely the case in respect to that specific coach, but generally speaking:

Results at a smaller school with limited resources--compared to a school like Texas--aren't necessarily indicative at all of that coach's ability.

One example:  Dan Mullen.  In 9 seasons at Mississippi State, his SEC conference record was 33-39.  He took over a Florida team that had gone 4-7 the year before he arrived, and had lost 4 games or more in all but one of the seasons under Muschamp and McElwain in the previous 7 seasons.

Mullen went 10-3 in year one, and 11-2 last season.  They're currently 6-1, ranked 6th in the CFP poll, and have gotten better as the season progressed.  

Saban was 34-24-1 in 5 seasons at Michigan State, and you know what he did when gifted the resources of LSU and Bama.

Les Miles at Okie State vs Les Miles at LSU.

Kliff Kingsbury had a losing record at Tech, and in his second year at Arizona his team is one game out of first place in the NFC West.

This is one of the reasons I believe Urban Meyer is the best coach in college football.  He didn't just do it at UF and OSU, but Utah as well.

Anyway, I hate seeing fans dismiss a coach's potential because he's not setting the woods on fire at some small school with little resources and no history to speak of.  These guys aren't fucking magicians.

PTSD is a hell of a thing, mang

41 minutes ago, Augustus said:

This is such nonsense.  I hear this from the same people who insist that Texas went after Nick Saban and was prepared to give him everything he wanted to make it happen, till somehow Mack Brown fucked it up.  You don't go after the multiple-championship-winning coach of fucking Alabma with both barrels loaded if you don't prioritize winning football games.

Furthermore, Texas didn't want to hire Charlie Strong, he was nowhere near the top of the list, but that's who they ended up with. Nevertheless they paid 5 million a year to a G5 head coach with 4 years' experience.  

Texas definitely wanted Tom Herman, as he was the flavor du jour when Texas fired Strong, and Texas won a bidding war with LSU for his services, and LSU absolutely does prioritize winning football games--this time paying 5 million a year to a G5 head coach with TWO years' head coaching experience.  It was a rash decision and the demand for him was manufactured to a large extent by the fact that both those schools wanted him, but Texas wanted him and was willing to do what was necessary to make sure he came to Austin and not Baton Rouge.

You don't outbid LSU for a coach with 2 years' experience at Cougar High and pay him stupid money (relative to his experience and lack of skins on the wall due that limited experience) if you're priority isn't winning football games.

And if Texas eats the buyout for Herman and his staff amidst everything that's gone down this year, including pay cuts and layoffs at the university, simply so they can hire a coach who wins more games, then nothing could make it clearer that Texas doesn't prioritize anything ahead of winning football games.

So we ended up with Strong because Mack scuttled Saban?  that's the story?  i call bullshit.

and we hired Herman because he was flavor du jour and LSU wanted him?

We hired both these idiots, because we have/had idiotic(sensing a theme) leadership, at all levels, who don't have a plan and we did that because...wait for it...WE DON"T PRIORITIZE WINNING.  Maybe CDC will change that. remains to be seen.

oh yeah side note...we hired Shaka Smart because we don't prioritize winning.   There are things we prioritize but winning hasn't been one of them for about 15 years.  We are Cal.

4 hours ago, futureman said:

actually my opinion is a combination of common sense and a long relationship with one of the biggest donors in the program.  he was never a realistic option  but his name got $9.95 more clicks.  that’s all it ever was.  sorry to everyone who wanted to believe. 

This sounds familiarly baseless, gracias for the vindication 

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

So we ended up with Strong because Mack scuttled Saban?  that's the story?  i call bullshit.

and we hired Herman because he was flavor du jour and LSU wanted him?

We hired both these idiots, because we have/had idiotic(sensing a theme) leadership, at all levels, who don't have a plan and we did that because...wait for it...WE DON"T PRIORITIZE WINNING.  Maybe CDC will change that. remains to be seen.

oh yeah side note...we hired Shaka Smart because we don't prioritize winning.   There are things we prioritize but winning hasn't been one of them for about 15 years.  We are Cal.

I didn't say your leadership wasn't idiotic.  Winning can be your number one and only priority, but that doesn't automatically mean you're good at it.

But you're not making any sense.

You don't outbid LSU for a guy like Herman (a whopping 2 years' experience and field of red flags) unless you're convinced he's THE ONE.  You let LSU have him and hire somebody for less money with more experience and more accomplishments.  

As far as Mack scuttling Saban being "the story," that's y'all's story, not mine.  I've read it on this board 100 times.

This very thread has repeated instances from guys like CTJ and quotes from Nahlin assuring you that if Urban doesn't come to Texas, it's not because Texas didn't do everything in its power to make it happen.  You don't do everything in your power to hire Urban Meyer--knowing full well there's gonna be some loud voices crying DOMESTIC ABUSE ENABLER--unless winning is your first priority.  

And as I already mentioned, you don't eat however many tens of millions of dollars it is to buy out Herman and his staff, in addition to forking over whatever's necessary to hire a guy like Urban Meyer, if you don't prioritize winning.  You'd keep Herman and make a bunch of public statements about how far the program has come, is headed in the right direction, etc.  

This whole narrative is stupid on its face, and is just some kind of attempt to rationalize away all the losing, while implicitly equating Texas to Stanford and Cal.

You should be thanking God that Texas does prioritize winning and is therefore firing Herman and going after Meyer.  

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Augustus said:

I didn't say your leadership wasn't idiotic.  Winning can be your number one and only priority, but that doesn't automatically mean you're good at it.

You don't outbid LSU for a guy like Herman (a whopping 2 years' experience and field of red flags) unless you're convinced he's THE ONE.  You let LSU have him and hire somebody for less money with more experience and more accomplishments.  

As far as Mack scuttling Saban being "the story," that's y'all's story, not mine.  I've read it on this board 100 times.

This very thread has repeated instances from guys like CTJ and quotes from Nahlin assuring you that if Urban doesn't come to Texas, it's not because Texas didn't do everything in its power to make it happen.  You don't do everything in your power to hire Urban Meyer--knowing full well there's gonna be some loud voices crying DOMESTIC ABUSE ENABLER--unless winning is your first priority.  

And as I already mentioned, you don't eat however many tens of millions of dollars it is to buy out Herman and his staff, in addition to forking over whatever's necessary to hire a guy like Urban Meyer, if you don't prioritize winning.  You'd keep Herman and make a bunch of public statements about how far the program has come, is headed in the right direction, etc.  

This whole narrative is stupid on its face, and is just some kind of attempt to rationalize away all the losing, while implicitly equating Texas to Stanford and Cal.

You should be thanking God that Texas does prioritize winning and is therefore firing Herman and going after Meyer.  

I forgot who I was responding to...I know its a bit tough to understand but you have to have a plan if you want to prioritize winning.  We prioritize firing losing/fading coaches without a plan.

Yes outbidding LSU for Herman was stupid because we didn't have a plan to fire Charlie until he lost to Kansas.  we have dumbass boosters who act like Jerry Jones.

just firing shitty coaches after a losing season doesn't mean you are prioritizing winning.  prioritizing winning is not 8 and 9 win seasons.

6 minutes ago, Augustus said:

All of this sounds great, but the BMDs are done with Herm.  They won't donate if he's still the coach.  That stuff matters to CDC.  So, whether we get Meyer or not is immaterial.  Herman needs to go

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I forgot who I was responding to...I know its a bit tough to understand but you have to have a plan if you want to prioritize winning.  We prioritize firing losing/fading coaches without a plan.

Yes outbidding LSU for Herman was stupid because we didn't have a plan to fire Charlie until he lost to Kansas.  we have dumbass boosters who act like Jerry Jones.

just firing shitty coaches after a losing season doesn't mean you are prioritizing winning.  prioritizing winning is not 8 and 9 win seasons.

It was stupid in hindsight but he was groomed at Ohio State and put in the work at Houston. Yes,  there were a couple blips after it seems like he took the Texas job, but it looked like a home run at the time. No one could have known he was a fraud turtle. 

That being said,  fuck Herman. GTFO. 

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic