Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, 936horn said:

Look if it was joe pa or Sandusky or even briles I’d agree with you. Those guys shouldn’t be around kids anymore (two of them can’t be). But Meyer? Are you shitting me? Because he had some thugs on his WINNING teams? Does everyone forget we had Sergio Kindle driving cars through west campus apartment walls under Mack? But it didn’t matter because we were winning. How is it any different? This moral high ground bullshit is pussy shit for people who don’t like to win

Agreed. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and say college aged Florida males arrest rate in general is higher than Texas males. Not sure about Ohio. I'm way too lazy to do the research. 

1 hour ago, quigley said:

Just to be clear, sports are a part of any university. Take away sports, the university will still be there. College presidents PRIMARILY care about sports not embarrassing the university, believe it or not.

I'll explain it two ways. UT sports brings in about $300m per year. About 15 yrs ago, UT science direct research grant funding was $3b per year (indirects would add 50-80% on top of that). So UT's added a med school since then so it'll be so much more than that now. UT sports are huge, but they are never going outpace the capacity of the academic portion of the university.

Sports also has the potential to really embarrass the school. My wife knows nothing about sports but knows that Penn St is where the kept a child rapist on staff for a generation. When school presidents forget this, they end up where LSU is now, Baylor was a few years ago, or almost in jail, like the Penn St president.

Does your wife know about Barry Switzer, Dusty Dvoracek, Justin Chaisson, Joe Mixon, etc.? Do ou’s presidents not PRIMARILY care about sports embarrassing your university?

• Hook 'Em 1

@quigley I’d like to see the numbers of where you get the 3 billion in grants. The entirety of the UT budget is $3 billion of which 18% is grants and contracts. 

Remember, athletics is self supporting, so the more successful the athletics program is, the more money they generate which bleeds over into the general fund. 

3 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

athletics is self supporting

football is self-supporting.  all other sports with the exception of basketball (at certain schools) hemorrhage money.  all of women’s sports is essentially taking huge amounts of money and burning it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

football is self-supporting.  all other sports with the exception of basketball (at certain schools) hemorrhage money.  all of women’s sports is essentially taking huge amounts of money and burning it. 

Well yes but football supports the other athletics, but that’s still the point

• Hook 'Em 2

I used to think Dabo was a good coach but then I learned that Dabo has had 9 former players arrested including 2 for armed robbery! He also hired a assistant coach that said racist shit.  He should never be allowed to coach kids again !

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2018/03/29/arrests-clemson-football-players-havent-been-commonplace-under-coach-dabo-swinney/469844002/

It turns out when you coach hundreds of football players and hire dozens of assistants , some of them end doing bad things.  The only logical outcome would be to abolish football... and all sports for that matter.  While we are at it, all professors who taught these students should be banned as well since they were complicate in creating this immoral environment, even if the crime occurs year later.  We must insist on a morally pure environment in order to watch and enjoy our underachieving sports teams.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fondren & Main said:

Mack had plenty of thugs sling dope and whoopin ass.  We had our own brushes with sexual assault too.  Sanders and the other guy were just innocent.  I’m ready to win.  Let’s get the gangsters back on the team and start whooping ass again.

Didn’t case McCoy film some sex escapades at an Alamo bowl?

• Hook 'Em 1

Off topic but I forgot the Egg Bowl was on today in a few. Fucking SEC network.

as a woman, I do care that women can play sports,. Having said that (and to be fair, the women have won more shit than the men in the major three sports at UT in the last decade) we all know football pays for pretty much everything. Unless you have a great basketball program.  So @futureman is correct. I was reading somewhere that the travel budget for some non-P5 schools for football is around $300k. That’s insane. This year has been a beating with the COVID for a lot of schools. 

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Off topic but I forgot the Egg Bowl was on today in a few. Fucking SEC network.

as a woman, I do care that women can play sports,. Having said that (and to be fair, the women have won more shit than the men in the major three sports at UT in the last decade) we all know football pays for pretty much everything. Unless you have a great basketball program.  So @futureman is correct. I was reading somewhere that the travel budget for some non-P5 schools for football is around $300k. That’s insane. This year has been a beating with the COVID for a lot of schools. 

Don’t do that...his ego is big enough lol

25 minutes ago, futureman said:

because nobody gives a shit about women's sports.  I wonder if they could get around title IX by just saying that there are no men’s sports.  just open rosters regardless of gender.

No.  In the end all Conpliance cares about is the number of scholarship athletes by gender.

1 hour ago, quigley said:

That's the wrong interpretation.

UT made bad hires which led to poor performance. Yet, they still lead the nation in revenue.

This means that football performance doesn't impact revenue based on available data at UT.

It does after an extended period.  Fan fatigue of mediocrity.

1 hour ago, cdain3 said:

Urban has had 2 months to tell us to fuck off.giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7swsgywi0b1focedj7t80wd5jc2pjkjax1hh0xq8k&rid=giphy.gif

This is kind of my line of thinking. He could’ve said actually no thanks a long time ago.

On the flip side if he really hates Herman and wanted to see him fired then the best way to assure that is to act like you’re interested until the very end then drop out. 

46 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

and to be fair, the women have won more shit than the men in the major three sports at UT in the last decade

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you put volleyball against football - the women have 1 compared to the men's zero. So, good for them I guess?

Holistically speaking, men's sports have done much more to keep UT relevant in the past decade, with a golf title, tennis title and 4 swimming and diving titles.

2018-19 (1)
Men's Tennis

2017-18 (1)
Men's Swimming and Diving

2016-17 (1)

2015-16 (1)
Men's Swimming & Diving

2014-15 (1)

2012-13 (1)
Volleyball | Feature

2011-12 (1)
Men's Golf | Feature

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that the women suck and underachieve just as much as the men do and haven't buoyed anything. That decade of volleyball probably should have produced 2 titles as a conservative estimate. It's nice that they got their 1. 

The women at UT USED to clean up - like in the 80s and 90s - with track being good through 2005.

The Andre Jones / Robert Joseph / James Henry armed home invasion robbery followed by witness intimidation that happened on Mack’s watch was about as bad as any criminality I can think of in recent college sports outside of Baylor and Penn State.   And Mack Brown is thought of as a nice grandpa figure for purposes of mainstream optics.    So, please just stop.

Everyone of them was kicked out of school. Not sure what the point is here.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you put volleyball against football - the women have 1 compared to the men's zero. So, good for them I guess?

Holistically speaking, men's sports have done much more to keep UT relevant in the past decade, with a golf title, tennis title and 4 swimming and diving titles.

2018-19 (1)
Men's Tennis

2017-18 (1)

2016-17 (1)

2015-16 (1)
Men's Swimming & Diving

2014-15 (1)

2012-13 (1)
Volleyball | Feature

2011-12 (1)
Men's Golf | Feature

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that the women suck and underachieve just as much as the men do and haven't buoyed anything. That decade of volleyball probably should have produced 2 titles as a conservative estimate. It's nice that they got their 1. 

The women at UT USED to clean up - like in the 80s and 90s - with track being good through 2005.

The points you are making are valid. I meant the women have won a championship in the last decade over the big three men’s sports. I wrote poorly. The big three sports (basketball, baseball, football) 0 to women’s volleyball. It’s a lame point I made. It was just to illustrate that we should be better in the big three sports. Currently, we are not. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

Urban legend just took a flight from Fox studios strait to DKR direct and bought a house across the street!

Seriously though I was wondering this while working at UT on dell medical school... What the heck is this house?

Screenshot-20201128-133816.jpg

Anybody know what this random vacant house is doing right here?

Kind of related but there was an old house on north campus in the mid 90s that was extremely out of place on seemingly UT property that looked like it was owned by some old cat lady that may or may not been abandoned.  

Ring any bells for anyone?

Keeping it Urban related. He's hiding in there if it's still around. 

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The points you are making are valid. I meant the women have won a championship in the last decade over the big three men’s sports. I wrote poorly. The big three sports (basketball, baseball, football) 0 to women’s volleyball. It’s a lame point I made. It was just to illustrate that we should be better in the big three sports. Currently, we are not. 

I guessed what you meant correctly and you weren't wrong. Just pointing out that it's kind of depressing either way.

8 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Hey I ran a couple pick-up games with RT at Gregory back in the day. Sure, he was a ball hog, but I don’t remember him being that bad of a shooter...

This is a nice subtle humblebrag to show you had enough skills you could play in some of those games he would've been in.

I saw some of those games from afar and if I ever had a thought I could maybe  hang the next thought would've been, "nope, not going to get and-one mixtape clowned today. Nope."

13 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Everyone of them was kicked out of school. Not sure what the point is here.

Benson wasn't in 2003 when he pled robbery down to criminal trespass.

And let's not forget Mack making Romance Taylor and Cedric Griffins prime suspects in armed robbery and assault on 6th street before the national championship game go bye bye.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

This is kind of my line of thinking. He could’ve said actually no thanks a long time ago.

On the flip side if he really hates Herman and wanted to see him fired then the best way to assure that is to act like you’re interested until the very end then drop out. 

I’m pretty sure Urban hates Tom’s guts. Not only does Urban dislike Tom, he is very close to Charlie Strong. That’s the root of Urban’s “pixie dust” comment and bringing up that Maryland scored 51 points on Tom.

So Urban will either take the Texas job to fuck with Tom’s ego, or he’ll jerk us around because he’s pissed that Charlie was fired for Tom Herman. Tom also acted like a bitch when Garrett Wilson committed to OSU. 

I’m pretty sure Urban hates Tom’s guts. Not only does Urban dislike Tom, he is very close to Charlie Strong. That’s the root of Urban’s “pixie dust” comment and bringing up that Maryland scored 51 points on Tom.
So Urban will either take the Texas job to fuck with Tom’s ego, or he’ll jerk us around because he’s pissed that Charlie was fired for Tom Herman. Tom also acted like a bitch when Garrett Wilson committed to OSU. 

It sounds fun for Urban to string Texas along just to get back at Tom, but that really wouldn’t fly for a guy representing a network like Fox. He jerks us around, the university can then turn that shit around and start denying different access etc... to that network he works for in the future.

Not saying Urban doesn’t have it in him, it’s just not a very professional look.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Well he acted like that because she is a bitch. 

7 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I got the feeling Urban’s hate started after Herman had been at UT for a while

36 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Who doesn’t hate Tom Herman?

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic