Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

On 3/30/2024 at 8:29 AM, Dnaguy said:

Had no idea Cali did things like that.

That west coast is all kinds of wack-a-doo

Yeah it totally sucks that I don't know what my property tax is gonna be next year.

My property tax is 1.1% of the purchase price, which includes some local water, school and other minor taxes. I think by law, it can only go up 2%. So next year it might go up to 1.12%.

What sucks is older folks are reluctant to sell and then buy a new home because their property tax is going to be higher, so there is a shortage of cheaper homes in CA.

I don't know how people can afford homes nowadays. I purchased my home 8 years ago, and it has gone up 100%. My next door neighbor listed his house at $1.8M, and he's already gotten a few full asking price offers. There were a lot of people who came to the open house yesterday - all of them driving Land Rovers, Teslas or Mercedes. For context, if you put 20% down, with and interest rate of 6.5%, your monthly mortgage payment is $9,100/month.

• Rage+1 2

On 3/30/2024 at 10:29 AM, Dnaguy said:

Had no idea Cali did things like that.

That west coast is all kinds of wack-a-doo

It's the one thing Cali does right, property taxes.  They make up the difference in income taxes for sure.

Took kiddos to the zoo today:

1. adults repeatedly tossing food at the animals, despite endless signs prohibiting it. 

2. adults at the childrens playground part, chain smoking cigarettes, despite even more signs prohibiting it. 

and the people doing this…lets just say theyre an extremely stereotyped group of people and these actions dont help that image

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Took kiddos to the zoo today:

1. adults repeatedly tossing food at the animals, despite endless signs prohibiting it. 

2. adults at the childrens playground part, chain smoking cigarettes, despite even more signs prohibiting it. 

and the people doing this…lets just say theyre an extremely stereotyped group of people and these actions dont help that image

I'll bite.  What group of people feed zoo animals and chain smoke cigs in a playground?  Women?  

5 hours ago, retsevlys said:

I'll bite.  What group of people feed zoo animals and chain smoke cigs in a playground?  Women?  

Wikipedia describes them as “traditionally living an itinerant, nomadic lifestyle”. 

24 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Over-stuffed, tight as Dick’s hat band paper napkin dispensers where one can’t pull out a napkin without tearing it to shreds. 

IMG_0124.jpeg

And they’re usually loaded backwards, where the half-fold isn’t in front and you have to pull out 10 just to get one. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Slacks said:

The MFer in 8D who is loud as fuck. I can hear every word he says... Loudly. 

And enjoys conversing with his new friend Professor Dei.

Well, give the professor a break.  He's getting laid off soon.

12 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

Well, give the professor a break.  He's getting laid off soon.

The professor was ok. The other dude was away too happy to talk loudly.

He was a really nice guy, but damn, bro. Take a nap.

It's 3:50AM, and I am writing / re-writing part of a proposal that I was assigned 14 hours ago. I told the marketing manager I'd get it done by midnight, but here I still am. The person who originally wrote it did a decent job, but language was too "flowery" for a construction proposal, and he missed some sections due to inexperience.

The fucked up part is I found out I'm part of the interview team when on Wednesday 5-6PM, I received 5 meeting invites, one of which is a 6 hour interview prep on Sunday. In LA.

Of course I can't say no, since they listed me as the cost lead without telling me... I'll be a fucking zombie, but just needed to vent because this is bullshit.

Oh, and one of my project leads is out sick, so I ran a few meetings in his absence. Working on 3 projects concurrently (for probably the nth time) sucks.

• Rage+1 5

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

It's 3:50AM, and I am writing / re-writing part of a proposal that I was assigned 14 hours ago. I told the marketing manager I'd get it done by midnight, but here I still am. The person who originally wrote it did a decent job, but language was too "flowery" for a construction proposal, and he missed some sections due to inexperience.

The fucked up part is I found out I'm part of the interview team when on Wednesday 5-6PM, I received 5 meeting invites, one of which is a 6 hour interview prep on Sunday. In LA.

Of course I can't say no, since they listed me as the cost lead without telling me... I'll be a fucking zombie, but just needed to vent because this is bullshit.

Oh, and one of my project leads is out sick, so I ran a few meetings in his absence. Working on 3 projects concurrently (for probably the nth time) sucks.

My favorite is getting a call from the New Zealand office at the close of their day. So that means tomorrow. "Hey, we have a project due in (insert African Country) that is due at this time. Mind giving it a read over?"

Well no one told me about said project and read it to find out some dickhead SME wrote their thoughts on paper, no checking the documents, and it is all fucked up. Great, I get to go to work at 11PM and crash until the morning to get in this damn thing.

Or when pricing team forgets little things, like work hours on rotation.

Fun times..... Some days I wish I was a florist.

Untitled.jpg.0df44f5a9ced19f19ce3e44e739549c0.jpg

18 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Something about negative pressure deltas and laminar airflow and coriolis effect and reynolds numbers 

I understand there are words in that sentence. 

• Haha 1

Sat down at my desk and got a call at straight up 8:00 on the dot. What in the actual fuck, people??? I need to ease into this bullshit.

Many days, my phone starts ringing, call after call, before 8:00. As in, I’m not even at the office yet, and my phone is already blowing up. I’m on with one call, trying to get out the door, and two more are coming in. WTF? Again, let me get fucking started before you inundate me with “Brisket, this happened, what should we do?”

Flies on our back porch that have shit all over it. Before this house, I didn't even consider that flies shit nor noticed it since it's typically one fly, one speck and then they're gone.

Well, put a few dozen of them together day after day and they shit, folks. They shit a lot. They're like a daily gathering of old men chatting at the country store, if those old men were pantsless and dropping daily deuces all over the porch.

I'd like to thank the cows in the pasture behind us for ensuring our windows, window sills, patio furniture and doorknobs are caked in fly excrement.

Does bug a salt make a nuclear equivalent device?

• Rage+1 1

On 4/5/2024 at 5:54 AM, Superhero said:

Well hell Hero, you got any friends in Methlahoma that could help you out?

Went with a frozen pizza for dinner.  Pulled it out of the oven and cut it into 8 pieces.  Turns out the amount of Cholula left in the bottle was only enough for 7 slices.  Managed to push through the pain and consume the last piece.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

People are so goddamn disgusting. Walking my dog around a gas station and restaurant, where lidded trash containers are plentiful. 

and around the bushes there are endless cups and cans and tissues and even a goddamn filled diaper.

Straight to jail for these people. Right away. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

On the early calls topic, my office phone is forwarded to my cell phone for when I work remotely. I don't get a lot of calls so usually not a problem. Occasionally one particular person calls me at 6:30 AM. It's never urgent and I never answer. I'm always up around 5:30 AM so it's not waking me up, but why would anyone ever call anybody at that hour unless it was a medical emergency?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, ScottS said:

Went with a frozen pizza for dinner.  Pulled it out of the oven and cut it into 8 pieces.  Turns out the amount of Cholula left in the bottle was only enough for 7 slices.  Managed to push through the pain and consume the last piece.

Get some crushed dried peppers to put on your pizza. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, 52-80 said:

People are so goddamn disgusting. Walking my dog around a gas station and restaurant, where lidded trash containers are plentiful. 

and around the bushes there are endless cups and cans and tissues and even a goddamn filled diaper.

Straight to jail for these people. Right away. 

Have posted a few times that litterbugs should be fair game to be shot. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Wife’s Volvo has midget cupholders, convenient for people who keep their drinks in thimbles.

Saw this funny badge on a volvo this weekend

image.jpeg.33eb918202721830d6fe84b5d492a19b.jpeg

also a cherry red fiat 500 with a novelty license plate “TOMATO”.  contemplated slowing down to take a photo

2016-red-fiat-500-front-side-view-50389-

• Hook 'Em 1

1 of 1000 small reasons why Windows sucks

This is a lockscreen. With MacOS, if you put your finger on the fingerprint reader, it logs into the laptop. With Windows, if you put your finger on the fingerprint reader…absolutely nothing happens . 

You have to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to get into log on mode. And THEN itll listen to the fingerprint reader. Why the extra step? Isnt it obvious if the reader is triggered, what user wants to do?IMG_5866.jpeg.d5c6fd6d10af6f2090c59a324be85c09.jpeg