Haskins misses last play of the game to take a selfie

smwhorn

• 1 year later...

Head coaches In college and QB’s in the nfl should be treated the same. It’s a crapshoot 50/50 proposition that you never can tell, but if you have any sense you can tell what’s what way before the decision usually gets made. Spin the wheel, take your chance, and then start over if you don’t like the process/results. 

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

A Week 16 cut of a 2nd year 1st round QB who started for them yesterday...like, seriously, who did he kill? This isn't just performance based, or they would have waited for the off-season.

Not performance based. It's attitude/preperation/culture

He loves the perks of being an NFL QB. Doesn't love the game itself. 

Michael Lombardi and Pat McAfee talking about 

Edited by cam4mav

yuuuuup

I think it's 8 million or so. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30613088/washington-football-team-releases-qb-dwayne-haskins-sources-say

edit: 8.5 over two years is what's left on his contract.

Can't imagine there is a team that would possibly want to pick that up unless someone just loved him coming out of Ohio State. Not exactly a cheap option for a backup QB but I guess it's not crazy either compared to some of the better backups 

Edited by cam4mav

13 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

yuuuuup

I think it's 8 million or so. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30613088/washington-football-team-releases-qb-dwayne-haskins-sources-say

edit: 8.5 over two years is what's left on his contract.

Can't imagine there is a team that would possibly want to pick that up unless someone just loved him coming out of Ohio State. Not exactly a cheap option for a backup QB but I guess it's not crazy either compared to some of the better backups 

He'll be bankrupt shortly.  

SI:   I’d be stunned if Haskins was claimed on waivers. He’s got $1.81 million fully guaranteed on his deal for 2021 and $2.46 million fully guaranteed for 2022, and a team picking him up off the wire would be responsible for that. To me, that pretty much ensures he’ll clear waivers on Tuesday, and from there I believe his only avenue back into the NFL will be the route that Josh Rosen has taken.

Upon being cut by the Dolphins, Rosen signed with the Buccaneers’ practice squad, which gave him the chance to learn from Bruce Arians, Tom Brady and Byron Leftwich, and that led to him being plucked by Niners coach Kyle Shanahan. Rosen, of course, is guaranteed nothing going forward, but he’s at least shown a willingness to take a longer path to playing than his initial one—which implicitly addresses concerns about his passion for football.

Likewise, widespread concerns about Haskins’s maturity, passion for football and professionalism could be addressed through his being open to climbing back up from the bottom. That wouldn’t be an easy road, of course. But if he wants back in, it’ll likely be what he has to do. I don’t think Haskins is a bad guy at all, so here’s hoping he listens to those telling him stuff he probably doesn’t want to hear.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/28/monday-afternoon-quarterback-dwayne-haskins-cut

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, cam4mav said:

They literally are ok paying 8 million dollars so he doesn't come to work tomorrow lol.

yep.  this is a bet to make sure there are no distractions with him this week as they try to make the playoffs. Rivera doesn't have to waste time talking about him or explaining why he isn't getting reps.

its Smith if he's healthy or the other guy if he's not and the other guy takes all the #2 reps.

My guess is he already knows Smith is a go.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

A Week 16 cut of a 2nd year 1st round QB who started for them yesterday...like, seriously, who did he kill? This isn't just performance based, or they would have waited for the off-season.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Holy absolute fuck, but I'm sure there's a cut for cause out on the guarantee isn't there? 

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I think anyone with a brain and IQ above 70 knew Haskins was going to be a bust. 

I wonder if the violations of the Covid protocols are enough to invalid compensation components his contract. Not an NFL fan, but if I recall, knowingly putting you health and availability at risk is a boilerplate provision of pro athlete contracts. Washington may be using this episode to rid themselves of this albatross.

Speaking of which, his behavior has been pretty egregious. Harden is doing similar things, but James may be the best offensive player in the league. Haskins is a scrub.

At Ohio St, Haskins had several red flags, and benefited from the talent around him. One stat from the Buckeyes that I recall is that his length of passes from the line of scrimmage was the lowest of any top QB. Meaning that his yards per attempt, and therefore efficiency, was inflated by his receivers YAC.

He was drafted by his hometown team. This can be good or bad. High school has a sports wall of fame which honors basically every high D1 scholarship winner, but he wasn't on it. No one really talked about him there. One wonders if he'll do better away from the influences of his earlier years.

This is what’s fucked up about sports.
That guy gets 8 million dollars to do absolute jack shit.

Professional athletes are paid what the market will bear. If they weren’t such a huge draw they wouldn’t be getting paid what they are. It’s a reflection of societal priorities, not anything inherently fucked up about sports.
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Professional athletes are paid what the market will bear. If they weren’t such a huge draw they wouldn’t be getting paid what they are. It’s a reflection of societal priorities, not anything inherently fucked up about sports.

Oh shut the fuck up.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

Teams just need to wait a little longer.

The amount owed him dropped from $8.6 million to $4.3 million in the time it took to read this page. 

If Haskins clears waivers, any interested team can sign him to a new contract and Washington is still on the hook for his 2021, and 2022 money. 

(Dwayne Haskins is due $4.266 million in fully guaranteed base salary over the 2021 and 2022 seasons.)

Cleared Waivers.... Now a Free Agent

Dwayne Haskins already is drawing NFL interest

By Mark Fischer   December 29, 2020 

NFL teams reportedly are expressing interest in quarterback Dwayne Haskins, who officially became a free agent Tuesday after flaming out in Washington.  The 2019 first-round pick went unclaimed on waivers following his release Monday, which marked the end of a tumultuous tenure plagued by poor play, a reported lack of preparation and violations of COVID-19 protocol.

But now that Haskins has cleared waivers, teams will have the option of signing the 23-year-old for less than the $4.3 million he is owed by Washington the next two seasons, and that has sparked interest, according to ESPN.

Though it’s unclear which teams are intrigued by Haskins, there are several potential landing spots.  The Patriots, who have a history of taking on reclamation projects, could be an option. New England’s future at quarterback appears up for grabs after Cam Newton and Jarrett Stidham struggled taking over for Tom Brady this season.  Brady’s new team, the Buccaneers, also could bring in Haskins and have him develop for a year or two under the future Hall of Famer — who will be 44 by the start of next season.  A similar situation could unfold in Pittsburgh, where Ben Roethlisberger’s career, like Brady’s, is winding down.

Any change of scenery likely would do Haskins well.

He was drafted by a Washington franchise that, according to reports, was split internally as to whether select him with the 15th overall pick in 2019, and then played under two coaching staffs in two seasons.  In 16 total games, he threw for 12 touchdowns and 14 interceptions, and there was no shortage of off-the-field issues.

During his rookie season he famously took a selfie with a fan during the final play of his first win.  In October, the former Ohio State star who threw 50 touchdowns in the only season he started for the Buckeyes, was fined $5,000 for inviting a friend to the team hotel in October, in violation of the team’s COVID-19 protocol.

The final straw occurred last week when he was fined $40,000 and stripped of his captaincy after partying with strippers without a mask and benched Sunday for journeyman Taylor Heinicke after throwing two interceptions in a loss.  “I take full responsibility for not meeting the standards of a NFL QB,” Haskins wrote on Twitter following his release, and “will become a better man & player because of this experience.”

https://nypost.com/2020/12/29/dwayne-haskins-drawing-nfl-interest-after-washington-exit/

On 12/28/2020 at 8:06 PM, Horn80 said:

Wonder if Ron Rivera will bring Cam to Washington.

Doubtful...Sounds like Rivera knows Cam is damaged goods now. 

“In 2016, when [Newton] got hurt, we got a little bit back in 2017. We had an early start in 2018, but then the injuries just took a toll. And so I always wonder, just what would have happened? But that’s the nature of this game. You’ve got to be able to move on and unfortunately that’s where we are in terms of that. … 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/24/ron-rivera-sometimes-wonders-what-if-cam-newton-stayed-healthy-in-carolina/