Silicon Valley season 5 hbo

Bogeywon

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

lol i like this show, but i have to disagree. the characters are mostly lame.

Original casting seemed just fine, but they kept getting dumber and less interesting instead of more complex. They're just really thin stereotypes now.

8 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

one thing about this show that stands out is the casting.  if casting ever deserved an emmy this show should win it.  every character is extremely unique and the actors portraying them are excellent at that character - big head, jin yun, richard, laurie, jared, gilfoyle.  you forget they're acting.   you know how in other shows you can't ever forget they're acting.  either they suck at acting, or their personalities just can't pull off the role.  you're not quite buying it, they're not believable, so your brain never lets you forget they're acting.  not the case with this show.

Cannot agree here. Parks and Rec, Always Sunny, Community, Arrested Develoment, etc come to mind when I think of brilliant/perfect casting. This show has been meh in that department for me. Too many inlikable characters, not enough characters where you could only picture one person ever playing the role, e.g. Dwight and Michael on The Office. 

Guest Lobo

adversity is a great teacher.  Like cigarette burns.  It worked on two levels with the lowly assistant running for his life as you saw Jared reliving some childhood shit in the same moment.  Weak episode, but he was brilliant.  

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

adversity is a great teacher.  Like cigarette burns.  It worked on two levels with the lowly assistant running for his life as you saw Jared reliving some childhood shit in the same moment.  Weak episode, but he was brilliant.  

Did he tell you to say how good that sandwich was?😂

the jared line definitely salvaged all the bad jokes - the richard dancing, the assistant screaming, laurie talking, the weird mouth effect on the driving, etc.  they tried to replicate the season 2 finale, which was fantastic.  wasn't up to that standard, but the plot made it watchable.

hbo needs to fucking stop with these 8 episode seasons.  already happened with divorce, now this and barry, and i have a bad feeling about the upcoming veep season.  this isn't the uk.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I think it said Alec Berg wrote and directed the finale.  I thought he had basically left the show?   Hopefully he and Judge will get more involved.

Agree with the comments.  Loved Jared’s line, and I thought the plot in general was in a better direction.  I enjoy the subtle douche touches in Gavin’s character, too.  He tries to weasel into the deal with Laurie and Yao by floating the idea of a 20% partnership interest, and then when he thinks he has a chance to double cross them he acted offended that they were only offering 20%.

The new assistant and Tesla stories didn’t have much of a payoff, though.  The K-Hole guy  “camping” by playing video games in an RV was good, but the side plots/jokes don’t measure up to the first couple of seasons. Those used to be things like the Blaine SWOT board, not someone’s face looking exaggeratedly blown back in a car.

i would assume berg is contracted to write/direct a certain amount per season, and chose the finale, which was good for us.  also good that the seasons are so short, so he can work on this and barry and still have time leftover.  i've been told that he is completely removed from the day-to-day/showrunning duties (i think clay tarver got upped), which makes sense, as it would be downright cruel to make someone do that for two shows at once.

The Jared line was incredible. I liked the finale, I think.

Anyway, back to the character discussion I still love the Silicon Valley bro tech lawyer that crops up a couple of times per season. They haven't killed that one for me yet.

On 5/19/2018 at 12:38 PM, Jimbaround said:

Also, Big Head wasn’t as big of an idiot.

That's true of nearly every character. They gradually got "Jethro Bodined" as the series went on, for lower hanging fruit humor.

On 5/19/2018 at 12:38 PM, Jimbaround said:

I am re-watching episode one right now. Wow, I forgot how much better Peter is than Lori. Also, Big Head wasn’t as big of an idiot.

They really need an Erlich character on this show. Stupid TJ Miller.

Este. Lori (or Laurie) flat-out sucks.

we've discussed it to death, but they fucked up trying to make her the female version of peter.  he wasn't an all-time great character by any stretch, but he seemed to pull off eccentric like a natural (i have no idea what the actor was like in real life).  laurie on the other hand has terrible lines, isn't funny, and when she potentially is involved in a funny scene, has horrible timing.

she should've either had her character go in a completely different direction, or just slowly removed her from the show.  monica's barely been in it as well, so it's not like laurie was integral.

2 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

Ok I’ll say it. Thank God Monica’s involved directly again with the team. Because Amanda Crew needs more damn screen time.

dick’s gonna bang her in season 6

or gilfoyle I guess.  but she’s getting drilled

Edited by futureman