Silicon Valley season 5 hbo

Bogeywon

Quick question that may have been answered, but I don't feel like looking for an answer:

Why is Lori investing in a decentralized internet that Richard has already stated isn't it to take your money "like Gavin Belson" is trying to do? Seems like a poor return on investment. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I liked the Gavin in China scenes.  “If I wanted all that shit (read: humane treatment of workers) I would have stayed home or gone to Denmark.  We come to China to get away from that.” 

Dinesh is worse than Richard, though, and Guilfoyle is also pretty tiring now.  I think I’d even be ok with writing those two off the show and just making it Richard, Jared and Bighead in the Pied Piper group vs. Hooli.

funny.  last night was the first time i actually said to myself "dinesh is a worse character than richard."

he wasn't really funny before, but early season fat dinesh was way better.  this self confident tesla owning skinny douchebag is really hard to watch.  there's nothing funny about a physically fit man.  also the story didn't even make sense.  they went out of their way to say those two were senior mgmt, and wouldn't be subjected to all the public scrutiny to maintain the respect from the rest of the office.  but then everyone went on screwing with them and betting on outcomes of their slapfight.

I'm in for Russ Hanneman return, and I'm curious to see how he handles Erlich being gone, even though he never realized Erlich in the first place. Does he suddenly ask about him, or just keep moving on like before? Kinda like, listening to the notes the musician is not playing

/ shoves myself into a locker

Richard, Crazy Guy, Al-Queda, He Fucks, and (quick blank stare before moving on) was one of the higher water marks of the show.

14 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

This episode was one of the worst of the series.   Tearing apart the robot in front of Jared was funny though.

yes i did lol when they suddenly ripped fionas face off, jared face was priceless...always love the one off references to jareds shady past.  something about working the streecorner brought the lulz...

2 hours ago, Mileslong said:

yes i did lol when they suddenly ripped fionas face off, jared face was priceless...always love the one off references to jareds shady past.  something about working the streecorner brought the lulz...

"That's what the oxy is for."

On 5/1/2018 at 12:42 PM, Mileslong said:

he had a funny line at beginning of episode 5 about your role models letting you down.  can’t remember it but I laughed.  

The whole montage with Dinesh insulting Gilfoyle was just unfunny on every level, from it being a tired obvious thing to happen to the individual jokes/insults not having any kind of impact.

Sucks, because they used to be great. And it’s making Kumail Nanjiani really unlikable. Scale of 1-10, how punchable is this face:

e623c41ea0e78d4443f9b1c36ee923a6.jpg

The Dinesh vs Gilfoyle thing only worked when they were somewhat equal in capability and savvy. But they turned Dinesh into a dipshit, just like they did Erlich. And Gilfoyle is more of a dry cardboard cutout instead of a gifted logical guy with a quirky dark side. The Bitcoin thing seems contradictory to his original character. None of the main characters really work when you make them stupid.

But some of it sort of got back on track. It's still an OK show, with a couple of really crappy episodes mixed in.

Somebody that knows the Valley better than me explain the people on Oracle HQ roof partying in the opening credits.  It seems like every piece of that has some meaning.  Is it the equivalent of the Hooli acquirees being put out to pasture but staying on salary?

7 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Liked the episode; been a good season. Would yall say it's a comeback season for yalls tastes?

i'd say it's been right in line with last season.  the first 3 seasons were probably a-/a+/b and the last two have been d+ to c-

i've also come to the conclusion that laurie and likely monica by association fucking suck at their jobs.

no erlich means they needed someone to fulfill the douche quota.  with russ only bouncing in for a minute (and not being funny doing it), they clearly sacrificed dinesh on that alter.  sucks for him, because it's really bad, and when the rest of the show isn't clicking, it's a real bummer.

was there some sort of backstory to the jared feud?  it wasn't funny, and took away from jared's typical role, which is by far the best thing this show has going.  i'm not ok with that, but i guess it's almost over.

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

maybe monica comes on as cfo and jared can go back to being richard's assistant.   i agree with the previous poster that thinks the rivalry between jared and the new assistant is boring and adds no value.

i just don't really understand it.  jared becomes coo and promptly deals with the gavin/fridge lawsuit like a boss.

now he spends his day stalking and quibbling with the lowest level employee at the company.  he comes from hooli corporate culture, and was never really "richard's assistant".  having some infrastructure around should be something jared is used to more so than any of the others.

if anything, they should've made it to where dinesh and gilfoyle couldn't get direct access to richard anymore and it bothered them to deal with the corporate environment.

one thing about this show that stands out is the casting.  if casting ever deserved an emmy this show should win it.  every character is extremely unique and the actors portraying them are excellent at that character - big head, jin yun, richard, laurie, jared, gilfoyle.  you forget they're acting.   you know how in other shows you can't ever forget they're acting.  either they suck at acting, or their personalities just can't pull off the role.  you're not quite buying it, they're not believable, so your brain never lets you forget they're acting.  not the case with this show.

yeah, i'm not really sure what you were trying to say there.  the casting is clear, and the characters are unique, so good on the casting director.  that said, the vast majority of the characters are a fucking beating, so that's really on the writers.

outside of the primary cast, i would say russ is great (in small doses, as his schtick gets kinda old).  his lawyer is decent, and the felon lawyer is fucking great.  i personally don't like gavin's security guy, but you guys seem to.  laurie, the doctor, gavin's spiritual guide - all are absolutely brutal.  jin yang hasn't been funny at all since erlich left, and i've never liked monica at all.

who am i missing?