Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sweden needs to be on this graph at this point. Just for contrast. 

Sweden isn't looking too great in comparison to its neighbors and most relevant comparisons to be honest.

sweden.jpg

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Deaths per 1 million persons
Sweden: 213
Denmark: 70
Norway: 36
Finland: 32

Other comparisons
Spain: 482
Italy: 423
France: 335
UK: 287
USA: 152
Germany: 67

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

I'd recommend clicking the above and checking individual countries to see the charts for each.  

For all of those posting "fuck China," here is the reason some of us are pushing back.  It has nothing to do with wanting to absolve the Chinese government for its transparent propaganda or culpability in failing to contain the outbreak in the first place (or causing it).

It's this.

Spoiler

The novel coronavirus pandemic has Americans across the country fearful for their personal health and well-being, but for Asian Americans, the virus has stirred up another threat: a wave of verbal and physical attacks.

Jeff Yang experienced what he calls his own “breathing while Asian” moment last week while shopping at his local grocery store in Los Angeles. Even as the host of a podcast about being Asian in America, Yang says he was taken aback when a woman leaving the store noticed him — the only Asian in line — and started shouting profanities.

“She pulled down her mask, coughed theatrically in my direction, pulled up her mask, walked away, got into a car and drove away,” Yang recalls. “I was too shocked to do anything.”

“It really was a bit of a gut punch,” Yang added.

For Jeni Erbes-Chan, an architect in New York, it was a trip on the subway on March 10, her last day in the office before the citywide stay-at-home order, that shook her.

“A man sort of lurched at me and shouted, ‘You people brought the virus. Go back to China.’ I was a little in shock,” Erbes-Chan said. “I just put my head down and tried not to make any eye contact after that.”

Like so many others, she went about her day and didn’t report the incident to law enforcement.

“You just bury your head and you move forward because no matter how hard you work, how successful you are, what friends you make, you just don’t belong,” she said. “You will always be looked at as foreign.”

Incidents like these have been on the rise in recent weeks, and some have escalated beyond these verbal assaults. A family of three were stabbed outside a store in Midland, Texas, last month. The FBI says the man who was arrested after that incident may face federal hate crime charges. The FBI is also warning local law enforcement around the country of a potential surge in hate crime incidents against Asian Americans because of coronavirus fears, according to an FBI analysis obtained by ABC News.

... (edited for DT)

Lee, the author of “America for Americans: A History of Xenophobia in the United States,” says fear of disease from immigrant groups has long been part of American history, going back to the Chinese Exclusion Act in the 1880s, which put severe restrictions on Chinese immigrants that she believes the country later came to regret.... (edited for DT)

“Future historians will look upon this period as the absolute high point of xenophobia in our history,” Lee said.

It was an increase in day-to-day accounts of shunning, spitting and other verbal and physical attacks in the wake of the pandemic that led some Asian American groups to create hate crime reporting websites to better document the unfolding situation on the ground.

Stop AAPI Hate, one tool created by California-based advocacy organizations, collects reports of hate incidents in seven languages. In the nearly three weeks since its launch, the website has received more than 1,200 reports, escalating to a rate of about 100 per day. Organizers say the rate of reporting is likely a severe undercount of the actual incidents taking place every day across the country.

“I’ve committed myself to read every single account. It’s hard to keep up,” said Cynthia Choi, the co-executive director of Chinese for Affirmative Action, one of the groups behind Stop AAPI Hate. “We knew things would start to get a lot worse before things get better. Unfortunately, our predictions are coming true.”

An analysis from the website’s second week found verbal harassment made up about two-thirds of the reports. Nearly ten percent were of physical assaults. More than a third of all incidents reported occured in California, where Asians make up about 15 percent of the state’s residents.

For Choi, the most upsetting accounts she’s read have targeted health care workers on the front lines battling the coronavirus. In one instance, a doctor on his way to work was told to “go back to f****** China.” In another, a nurse delivering medicine to a sick patient was spit on.

For Manjusha Kulkarni, the executive director of the Asian Pacific Planning and Policy Council, another organization that created the website, the attacks on children are among the most upsetting. Children are the target of about six percent of all reports, according to the analysis.

One of the worst incidents she recalls hearing about occured in the weeks before schools across the country closed en masse. A 12-year-old was taunted at school by a classmate who yelled at him to “go back to China,” Kukarni recalled. When the student protested, the bully punched him in the head 20 times.

“This is unfortunately part of our new reality, along with tremendous fears of contracting the virus,” Kulkarni said.

* * * * (edited for DT)

Kulkarni, a civil rights attorney in Los Angeles, has also had her own first-hand experiences with “racist rhetoric” in the weeks since the first cases of coronavirus were reported in California. During a trip to the hair salon, she says two women at the washing station next to her were blaming Chinese people — “these people” as she recalls them saying — for “what they eat” being the cause of the virus.

“I was shocked and visibly shaken, and I do this for a living,” she said.

The work of Stop AAPI Hate and two other reporting tools that have emerged in recent weeks has gained the attention of members of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus. Rep. Grace Meng, a Democrat whose district in Queens, New York, is near the current epicenter of the outbreak in the U.S., introduced legislation last month to condemn anti-Asian racism and require the government to collect data about coronavirus-related hate crimes.

“I’ve often thought of discriminatory actions and rhetoric as part of our American history, something that was in the past and not something that affected us today,” Meng said during a virtual news conference last week. “As we’ve seen today with what people are doing and saying against fellow Americans, there is a lot of fear in our communities.”

Even with increased awareness about the hate being directed toward their community and with more outlets to report anti-Asian incidents emerging, both Kulkarni and Choi worry about the lingering effects of the pandemic. They say the mental wounds exposed by the coronavirus may not heal until long after the virus’ threat has been mitigated and people return to work or school.

“I worry that our concerns mostly are about the fear of the contagion of the disease and that we’re not adequately afraid of the spread of racism,” Kulkami said. “Racism is a part of the fabric of American life.”

“When we return to normalcy, we know that stigmatization will continue,” Choi added. “Just because we are able to go back to our normal lives doesn’t mean that there’s no more resentment.”

Also, csb, my wife mentioned to me just this morning that the owner of the nail salon she uses (she's friends with outside of getting her nails done) has told her of several occasions over the last two months where she was spat at and given nasty looks or comments of "go back to China"  (she's Vietnamese).

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

As, I said, fuck them. I have no problem with that. I'm just perplexed by this idea that we need to assign 100% responsibility to someone for something that is at its heart a natural phenomena. I would also be interested in seeing the reports you mention. I find that conclusion hard to reconcile with the fact the US and other nations did have ample warning the virus was a real problem, and yet it still manifested into serious outbreaks all over. What would have materially changed with an earlier warning from China? At heart we just have a very contagious disease that has inserted itself it a very connected world, full of billions of people. 

I and others addressed  this upthread. The emergence of the disease was a natural, unpreventable, and not just predictable but extensively predicted event. It was going to happen, we knew it, and failed to prepare. We then also failed to respond with what resources we did have due to a combination of ignorance, incompetence and delusion. 

So to your point, you’re half right. The disease is a natural phenomenon. But the death and economic catastrophe we now face is a man-made disaster.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Sweden isn't looking too great in comparison to its neighbors and most relevant comparisons to be honest.

sweden.jpg

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Deaths per 1 million persons
Sweden: 213
Denmark: 70
Norway: 36
Finland: 32

Other comparisons
Spain: 482
Italy: 423
France: 335
UK: 287
USA: 152
Germany: 67

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

I'd recommend clicking the above and checking individual countries to see the charts for each.  

Tortoise and hare comparison.

Sweden hoping to pull the bandaid off quick and suffer the most as quickly as possible and then recover. Other countries trying to prolong at a slow but less painful per day path.

Only comparison of meaning won't occur for another year.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Hate said:

The nursing home where my Grandpa is had a parade today. The got all of the residents out in the parking lot and let the families drive by. My 99 year old Grandpa seemed to enjoy it. At least it was a beautiful day today.

6fdc56795d84c17278ec4e6a5c619fb9.jpg

Yes, that is a Members Only jacket and yes, at 99, he probably is the only member.

Beep the horn at him for me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Tortoise and hare comparison.

Sweden hoping to pull the bandaid off quick and suffer the most as quickly as possible and then recover. Other countries trying to prolong at a slow but less painful per day path.

Only comparison of meaning won't occur for another year.

I wasn't advocating a particular approach and was only responding to Sydney's question. Any of us can draw our own conclusions from the evidence available to us but, as you point out, we won't see the ultimate outcome for quite a while.

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The emergence of the disease was a natural, unpreventable, and not just predictable but extensively predicted event.

No matter which of the competing origin stories you prefer, this was preventable.

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

No matter which of the competing origin stories you prefer, this was preventable.

Probably not without changing our entire relationship with the natural world and having a few billion fewer people. 

And by the way- both of those would probably be good things in the grand scheme of things for all kinds of reasons, but aren’t really something a society can do or has ever done in a planned way. 

26 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

For all of those posting "fuck China," here is the reason some of us are pushing back.  It has nothing to do with wanting to absolve the Chinese government for its transparent propaganda or culpability in failing to contain the outbreak in the first place (or causing it).

It's this.

Reveal hidden contents

The novel coronavirus pandemic has Americans across the country fearful for their personal health and well-being, but for Asian Americans, the virus has stirred up another threat: a wave of verbal and physical attacks.

Jeff Yang experienced what he calls his own “breathing while Asian” moment last week while shopping at his local grocery store in Los Angeles. Even as the host of a podcast about being Asian in America, Yang says he was taken aback when a woman leaving the store noticed him — the only Asian in line — and started shouting profanities.

“She pulled down her mask, coughed theatrically in my direction, pulled up her mask, walked away, got into a car and drove away,” Yang recalls. “I was too shocked to do anything.”

For Jeni Erbes-Chan, an architect in New York, it was a trip on the subway on March 10, her last day in the office before the citywide stay-at-home order, that shook her.

“A man sort of lurched at me and shouted, ‘You people brought the virus. Go back to China.’ I was a little in shock,” Erbes-Chan said. “I just put my head down and tried not to make any eye contact after that.”

Like so many others, she went about her day and didn’t report the incident to law enforcement.

“You just bury your head and you move forward because no matter how hard you work, how successful you are, what friends you make, you just don’t belong,” she said. “You will always be looked at as foreign.”

Incidents like these have been on the rise in recent weeks, and some have escalated beyond these verbal assaults. A family of three were stabbed outside a store in Midland, Texas, last month. The FBI says the man who was arrested after that incident may face federal hate crime charges. The FBI is also warning local law enforcement around the country of a potential surge in hate crime incidents against Asian Americans because of coronavirus fears, according to an FBI analysis obtained by ABC News.

... (edited for DT)

Lee, the author of “America for Americans: A History of Xenophobia in the United States,” says fear of disease from immigrant groups has long been part of American history, going back to the Chinese Exclusion Act in the 1880s, which put severe restrictions on Chinese immigrants that she believes the country later came to regret.... (edited for DT)

“Future historians will look upon this period as the absolute high point of xenophobia in our history,” Lee said.

It was an increase in day-to-day accounts of shunning, spitting and other verbal and physical attacks in the wake of the pandemic that led some Asian American groups to create hate crime reporting websites to better document the unfolding situation on the ground.

Stop AAPI Hate, one tool created by California-based advocacy organizations, collects reports of hate incidents in seven languages. In the nearly three weeks since its launch, the website has received more than 1,200 reports, escalating to a rate of about 100 per day. Organizers say the rate of reporting is likely a severe undercount of the actual incidents taking place every day across the country.

“I’ve committed myself to read every single account. It’s hard to keep up,” said Cynthia Choi, the co-executive director of Chinese for Affirmative Action, one of the groups behind Stop AAPI Hate. “We knew things would start to get a lot worse before things get better. Unfortunately, our predictions are coming true.”

An analysis from the website’s second week found verbal harassment made up about two-thirds of the reports. Nearly ten percent were of physical assaults. More than a third of all incidents reported occured in California, where Asians make up about 15 percent of the state’s residents.

For Choi, the most upsetting accounts she’s read have targeted health care workers on the front lines battling the coronavirus. In one instance, a doctor on his way to work was told to “go back to f****** China.” In another, a nurse delivering medicine to a sick patient was spit on.

For Manjusha Kulkarni, the executive director of the Asian Pacific Planning and Policy Council, another organization that created the website, the attacks on children are among the most upsetting. Children are the target of about six percent of all reports, according to the analysis.

One of the worst incidents she recalls hearing about occured in the weeks before schools across the country closed en masse. A 12-year-old was taunted at school by a classmate who yelled at him to “go back to China,” Kukarni recalled. When the student protested, the bully punched him in the head 20 times.

“This is unfortunately part of our new reality, along with tremendous fears of contracting the virus,” Kulkarni said.

* * * * (edited for DT)

Kulkarni, a civil rights attorney in Los Angeles, has also had her own first-hand experiences with “racist rhetoric” in the weeks since the first cases of coronavirus were reported in California. During a trip to the hair salon, she says two women at the washing station next to her were blaming Chinese people — “these people” as she recalls them saying — for “what they eat” being the cause of the virus.

The work of Stop AAPI Hate and two other reporting tools that have emerged in recent weeks has gained the attention of members of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus. Rep. Grace Meng, a Democrat whose district in Queens, New York, is near the current epicenter of the outbreak in the U.S., introduced legislation last month to condemn anti-Asian racism and require the government to collect data about coronavirus-related hate crimes.

“I’ve often thought of discriminatory actions and rhetoric as part of our American history, something that was in the past and not something that affected us today,” Meng said during a virtual news conference last week. “As we’ve seen today with what people are doing and saying against fellow Americans, there is a lot of fear in our communities.”

Even with increased awareness about the hate being directed toward their community and with more outlets to report anti-Asian incidents emerging, both Kulkarni and Choi worry about the lingering effects of the pandemic. They say the mental wounds exposed by the coronavirus may not heal until long after the virus’ threat has been mitigated and people return to work or school.

“I worry that our concerns mostly are about the fear of the contagion of the disease and that we’re not adequately afraid of the spread of racism,” Kulkami said. “Racism is a part of the fabric of American life.”

“When we return to normalcy, we know that stigmatization will continue,” Choi added. “Just because we are able to go back to our normal lives doesn’t mean that there’s no more resentment.”

Also, csb, my wife mentioned to me just this morning that the owner of the nail salon she uses (she's friends with outside of getting her nails done) has told her of several occasions over the last two months where she was spat at and given nasty looks or comments of "go back to China"  (she's Vietnamese).

That's like boycotting Queen because of Iran's policies on whatever...

26 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

It's this.

Reveal hidden contents

... (edited for DT)

* * * * (edited for DT)

That's like boycotting Queen because of Iran's policies on whatever...

31 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

It's this.

Hide contents

... (edited for DT)

* * * * (edited for DT)

Yeah, no......

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Probably not without changing our entire relationship with the natural world and having a few billion fewer people. 

And by the way- both of those would probably be good things in the grand scheme of things for all kinds of reasons, but aren’t really something a society can do or has ever done in a planned way. 

Let's run with the wet market origin story.  H5N1, SARS, and COVID all emerged from an environment where live wild animals were kept in a wet market. After SARS, china restricted the practice.  Then the wildlife showed back up when they relaxed the restrictions.  Then COVID emerged in a wet market where live wildstock was kept.  

This is not really rocket science here Bozo. 

This was completely preventable. China had put the regulations in place to prevent it.  Then they relaxed those regulations. And here we are. 

I agree completely that we need to really think about how we interact with the natural world, commercial farms and ranch practices, etc.  But don't wave that shit around as a distraction when we have a very clearly preventable example right at hand.  

Here is an article from 2007.  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-foodmarket/china-market-may-be-breeding-ground-for-deadly-viruses-idUSHKG27143120071210

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Hate said:

The mental gymnastics that some go through to try to paint the picture that China isn’t 100% culpable in this pandemic is staggering. The “is just as easily could have started here” bullshit is ridiculous. When a virus originates in the US and then the government lies about it to the rest of the world for at least two months leading to thousands of deaths and the worst economic downturn in 90 years, then you can start a thread about it and say “fuck the US” all you want. Until then, fuck China (the country not the people for those of you that really really want to make this a race thing).

What I love is that we absolutely can and should talk about the culpability of the party that caused the fire to start and escape local containment (and there's clearly significant culpability there).....but it's taboo for us to talk about the culpability of the party responsible for preventing the arrival and spread of the fire on our shores.

Makes me chuckle a bit.  Do continue.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Hate said:

The mental gymnastics that some go through to try to paint the picture that China isn’t 100% culpable in this pandemic is staggering. The “is just as easily could have started here” bullshit is ridiculous. When a virus originates in the US and then the government lies about it to the rest of the world for at least two months leading to thousands of deaths and the worst economic downturn in 90 years, then you can start a thread about it and say “fuck the US” all you want. Until then, fuck China (the country not the people for those of you that really really want to make this a race thing).

China is not responsible for the response in the United States.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 8

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Let's run with the wet market origin story.  H5N1, SARS, and COVID all emerged from an environment where live wild animals were kept in a wet market. After SARS, china restricted the practice.  Then the wildlife showed back up when they relaxed the restrictions.  Then COVID emerged in a wet market where live wildstock was kept.  

This is not really rocket science here Bozo. 

This was completely preventable. China had put the regulations in place to prevent it.  Then they relaxed those regulations. And here we are. 

I agree completely that we need to really think about how we interact with the natural world, commercial farms and ranch practices, etc.  But don't wave that shit around as a distraction when we have a very clearly preventable example right at hand.  

Here is an article from 2007.  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-foodmarket/china-market-may-be-breeding-ground-for-deadly-viruses-idUSHKG27143120071210

This particular virus emerged from this particular place and time. That’s one type of the increasing tens of thousands of places and times where this kind of pathogen could emerge. 

• Like 1

Y’all should listen to the interview that the Epoch Times did with Kyle Bass. Pay attention to what he says about Chinese infiltration in the west. For example, Yu Meng, chief investment officer of CalPERS, and prominent member of the CCP. Wait, what? Yeah.

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

China is not responsible for the response in the United States.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What I love is that we absolutely can and should talk about the culpability of the party that caused the fire to start and escape local containment (and there's clearly significant culpability there).....but it's taboo for us to talk about the culpability of the party responsible for preventing the arrival and spread of the fire on our shores.

Makes me chuckle a bit.  Do continue.

Yeah, but it's all arm chair quarterbacking really.  There is plenty of blame to go around and of course there are things that could have been done better.  It's difficult when this virus had at least a one month head start on us.  Y'all were sitting back saying "listen to the science guy" (Fauci) when this began to erupt and the science guy was saying as late as January 31 that the risk of a pandemic was still low and nothing needed to change.  So the science guy that you praise caused us to have another delay of at least a couple of weeks (I, for one, do not blame Fauci I'm just making a point).  The fact of the matter is that the US was going to be screwed regardless because we were lied to for at least 2 months and nothing was going to change that regardless of who was in charge. 

Edited by Hate
  • Like 5

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

This particular virus emerged from this particular place and time.

...and was completely preventable. 

We can and should address the tens of thousands of other high risk situations.  I am not sure how we are going to get there though when some people refuse to acknowledge that this particular situation was easily preventable. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

It's this.

Reveal hidden contents

... (edited for DT)

* * * * (edited for DT)

TLDR: Fuck China

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hate said:

The fact of the matter is that the US was going to be screwed regardless because we were lied to for at least 2 months and nothing was going to chnage that regardless of who was in charge. 

See, we get to absolve the US response in one fell swoop in this forum.....but if any of us dare state a counterpoint to that conclusion -- ZOMG, the CR people have escaped!

Biggest "safe space" on the internet is this thread.  That y'all don't get the humor and irony just makes it funnier and more ironic.

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

We can and should address the tens of thousands of other high risk situations.  I am not sure how we are going to get there though when some people refuse to acknowledge that this particular situation was easily preventable. 

OK.

So now what? Wag a finger and tell the Chinese they were very, very naughty? 

We need cheap shit, bro.

• Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Tell you what. Try to shut down First Monday in Canton before there’s a public health problem that results.  Human culture and social structure doesn’t change because of what -could- happen.

Cool article on delivery robots and their rise during the pandemic. https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/04/the-pandemic-is-bringing-us-closer-to-our-robot-takeout-future/

Pretty clearly these particular robots will only work in denser urban areas, but still really cool. Anyone live in an area where these available? Try one out?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

See, we get to absolve the US response in one fell swoop in this forum.....but if any of us dare state a counterpoint to that conclusion -- ZOMG, the CR people have escaped!

Biggest "safe space" on the internet is this thread.  That y'all don't get the humor and irony just makes it funnier and more ironic.

What part of "plenty of blame to go around" and "we could have done things better" don't you get?  I didn't absolve the US response, but that response has been years and years in the making but you and the CR cabal really want to make it a 2 month issue.  The fact of the matter is that if China has been truthful about this from the beginning, we could have stopped all travel coming into the US and prevented this from ever reaching what it has. 

• Like 4

Just now, David Dennison said:

OK.

So now what? Wag a finger and tell the Chinese they were very, very naughty? 

We need cheap shit, bro.

We should treat them the same way that we would treat a rogue nuclear state.  Sanctions until they regulate the situation, international inspection regime, etc. Sorry that you won't have cheap dildos to chew on. 

• Like 4

Fresh pork prices did set back this morning with belly values down 24%, so we will see if run rates are coming back up with with the break today. Beef values were up again but seemed to slow down a little, and we should be getting one or two plants back today and another one on Monday. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Tell you what. Try to shut down First Monday in Canton before there’s a public health problem that results.  Human culture and social structure doesn’t change because of what -could- happen.

You mean what HAS happened. Twice. From the exact same situation.  I really don't get the push back on this.  

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away