Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

f54c207493267d2d2db83484cb4d06ce.jpg

In 2020 I can see pictures of my own car in my own driveway from space. I can see my neighbors pile of leaves from space. On my phone. For free. 
I expect the military and nasa can see a tiddly bit more detail than that. 

Send this headline back to the 1970s where it came from. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

We need millions of basic face masks to distribute as soon as humanly possible.  Having mass community distribution of masks outside of grocery stores would kill 3 birds with one stone - get them on faces, reduce total number of trips, masks on faces before going into crowded grocery stores.  We can cancel games and rodeos, but people still have to get food.  With extreme social distancing, i.e. limiting social contact by 80%, reserve the outside of home time to food gathering and pharmacy.

it is significantly more important to have them for healthcare workers vs the general public

Edited by NoName
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

One of my neighbors said if they run out of toilet paper they can just rinse off in the shower and it would be like a bidet.  I responded, "people don't stand in their fucking bidets when they are using them".

When in doubt, waffle stomp it out.

31 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

spacer.png

As an introvert, I'm ready for the Introversion-olution due to Coronapocolypse. While extroverts go crazy with minimal interaction, we grow stronger. 

Yep.  Doesn't bother me at all as an introvert.  However, I didn't marry an introvert. Quite the opposite.  

You should've seen her reaction when I told her she shouldn't go out with friends Monday night.

We have 2 dozen offices in the U.S.  Only these have gone "virtual"  today (WFH):

·         Phoenix - 9 cases in Arizona

·         Nashville - 18 cases in Tenn

·         Boston - 100+ in Mass

·         Seattle - 400+ in Wash

·         Kansas City - 2 in Missouri / 5 in Kansas

·         New York - 300+ in New York

Yet Denver (49 cases), Houston/Dallas/Austin (38 cases) and all our CA offices (200+) keep chugging along. 

6 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

One of my neighbors said if they run out of toilet paper they can just rinse off in the shower and it would be like a bidet.  I responded, "people don't stand in their fucking bidets when they are using them".

Can I use the water hose outside then?

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

it is significantly more important to have them for healthcare workers vs the general public

Considering we don't really have enough PPE for even our healthcare workers nationwide to sustain the onslaught, what that scale of difference vs our population not having masks suggests:

Spoiler

tenor.gif?itemid=13174976

2 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Yep.  Doesn't bother me at all as an introvert.  However, I didn't marry an introvert. Quite the opposite.  

You should've seen her reaction when I told her she shouldn't go out with friends Monday night.

You and I are in the same boat.  It truly is a case of "She will be the death of me".

• Like 1

Same. Mine doesn't know how to wrap her head around this yet. I've been following this thing for a couple months and have had time to digest it all. 

18 minutes ago, The University said:

we've rigged a garden hose to act as a bidet.

My shower's right next to my shitter so I'm all good.

But really, I have an Amazon Prime order for 16 pallets of Charmin to be delivered today.  I'm watching my front porch like a hawk, to ensure nobody steals it when it's delivered.

That score is going to make me the Toilet Paper Czar of Cedar Park.  You guys up here in the 78613 need anything, you're gonna have to come talk to ME.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Considering we don't really have enough PPE for even our healthcare workers nationwide to sustain the onslaught, what that scale of difference vs our population not having masks suggests:

Reveal hidden contents

tenor.gif?itemid=13174976

it's huge. it isn't like hospitalizations are going to stop due to COVID-19, you are still going to have people getting surgeries, being admitted for COPD, pneumonia, etc and coming into the ER for everything from MVA's to snake bites.

stopping the spread at the healthcare level is extremely important. they can very easily spread it within their group (nurses, EVS, etc) then to community.

plus the fact there is already a high demand for daily things like surgeries and patients who are on isolation for a huge number of non-COVID-19 reasons

14 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Everything is a bidet if you're brave enough.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

Corona didn’t really hit Seoul, it was rampant in Daegu. Density there is 2767 per sq km.

And to expand on this, Qom was the epicenter in Iran, and its pop density is ~100 per sq km.  I dont know that population density matters as much as social density.  The big spreader in Daegu was the church where thousands of parishioners all cram together for hours.  The big spreader in Qom was the mosque where sick people come to get healed.  Italy is full of jam packed piazzas, and they church it up pretty hard.  The common factor there is likely age (church is generally full of an older crowd) and a bottleneck of people all in close contact / touching a lot of the same surfaces.  

SK pulled off a miracle by keeping it largely out of Seoul through super aggressive testing and social distancing.  Iran went the exact opposite route, initially dismissing the disease, and in Qom's case, thinking the mosque would make things better by flocking to it.  Italy is somewhere in the middle.  They tried to do the bare minimum to reduce impact on day to day life, and it ramped up out of their control quickly.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We have 2 dozen offices in the U.S.  Only these have gone "virtual"  today (WFH):

·         Phoenix - 9 cases in Arizona

·         Nashville - 18 cases in Tenn

·         Boston - 100+ in Mass

·         Seattle - 400+ in Wash

·         Kansas City - 2 in Missouri / 5 in Kansas

·         New York - 300+ in New York

Yet Denver (49 cases), Houston/Dallas/Austin (38 cases) and all our CA offices (200+) keep chugging along. 

We just shut CA office altogether and announced WFH for everyone else

12 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Same. Mine doesn't know how to wrap her head around this yet. I've been following this thing for a couple of months and have had time to digest it all. 

I told her after listening to the guy on the Joe Rogan Podcast that stuff was about to change. It took about 24 hours but she's all about not going out in public.  She's smart and reasonable.  I got lucky

Let's see what she sounds like in a week.  I'll want to strangle her 

Edited by Post Oak
  • Like 1

Haven't heard a peep from my company yet, I have a feeling they won't do anything unless they receive some guidance from state or federal government. They are a small business with about 400 employees, 300+ of which are welders and shop workers (steel fabricator). Not very adaptable to just working at home. Probably can't shut those people down until GC's and construction sites start shutting down. What a complicated mess. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I watched De Blasio's news conference earlier, and he was adamant about keeping NYC schools open.  They've got it far worse than Houston or Dallas.  I wonder what the reasoning is.

Children are the lest susceptible apparently.  By shutting down schools you are pulling resources (parents) away from needed roles.  Nurses.  Doctors.  Etc.  

• Like 1

I told her after listening to the guy on the Joe Rogan Podcast that stuff was about to change. It took about 24 hours but she's all about not going out in public.  She's smart and reasonable.  I got lucky

Let's see what she sounds like in a week.

I had some birthday thing for a friend I didn't want to go tomorrow.

I cancelled my appearance.  I will, however, still go to Trivia Night on Monday.  The beer and shots counteract COVID, right? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I've been taking post-dump showers and conserving TP for years. 

IT'S ALL PIPES!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Children are the lest susceptible apparently.  By shutting down schools you are pulling resources (parents) away from needed roles.  Nurses.  Doctors.  Etc.  

To showing symptoms.  But the most likely to spread COVID to someone else.  

• Like 4

Thousands of cruise ship passengers will be notified that they could have been exposed to coronavirus at Port Everglades, nearly a week after it was revealed at least one worker there tested positive. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is determining how many passengers might have been exposed, and the range is somewhere between 6,000 and 30,000, said U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

Nice

Florida into the 50's but since they won't test anyone, who knows...

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-coronavirus-florida-events-and-confirmed-cases-20200311-3shlckv36fdnjh4dvy4kwcxbrm-story.html

Seems like the Springbreak crowd is getting into the action...

While young people haven’t been significantly known to have symptoms of the disease, up to five people in their 20s in the state have contracted it — including two people ages 25 and 29 in Broward. Another person in Broward is a 20-year-old from out of state.

Edited by Loco

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Least susceptible to hospitalization and death. Equal carriers and spreaders. We need to keep people out of incubating facilities as much as possible. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

kids spread it efficiently - they're not known for hygiene and hand washing, they touch everything, infection doesn't slow them down, they pass it around at school.  You have to attack the nodes of most rapid sharing of the virus first.  It's still a lose/lose, just have to minimize the steepness of the curve.

Our hospital healthcare workers will need to do what Italy is attempting - compartmentalize nurses, docs, and staff to coronavirus care or not.  And if staff is sick with it but able to stand and breathe, you still work with the coronavirus cases.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Think, man. Think what you are saying. Schools are cesspools. One adult gets the virus and passes it to his kid. Kid is a asymptomatic, goes to school and passes it to every other kid. Then every kid goes home and passes it to their parents.

There was discussion of Inovio's vaccine earlier in the thread, here is an article on it: 

How one company made $208 million on an untested coronavirus vaccine

relevant part:

In the meantime, Inovio is sticking by its promise to start a clinical trial of its coronavirus vaccine in April, and CEO Joseph Kim has told investors — and President Trump — that his company will be able to manufacture 1 million doses by the end of the year.

Those ambitious promises come with caveats and caution. The testing of the Inovio vaccine, called INO-4800, will be conducted only in healthy volunteers who have not been exposed to the coronavirus. The 1 million doses, if made, will be used for further clinical trials, not to protect the public against coronavirus infection, Inovio said.

Inovio’s approach relies on injecting synthetic DNA that codes for protective antibodies. The method doesn’t require administering a live virus and thus could be safer and faster to develop than traditional vaccines, the company has said.

But Inovio is one of about a dozen companies working on developing a coronavirus vaccine, and others appear to be receiving more government support. Moderna is using its mRNA technology to develop a coronavirus vaccine, partnered with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Johnson & Johnson’s coronavirus vaccine work is supported by the U.S. Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority.

Prior efforts by Inovio to develop a DNA-based vaccine against novel viral contagions, including MERS, Zika, and Ebola, have proved unsuccessful. Inovio has tended to issue a lot of press releases touting the potency and promise of its viral vaccine candidates, followed by some form of financing. But over time, progress stalls out and the vaccine programs go dormant. Inovio often blames outside factors for the lack of success, not its own DNA vaccine technology.

Inovio’s work in other areas has also failed to meet promised goals. The company’s most advanced product is a DNA-based immunotherapy to treat HPV-related cervical dysplasia. Twin Phase 3 clinical trials have been chronically delayed. In January, Inovio admitted that timelines for the program needed to be pushed out by 12 to 18 months because patients aren’t willing to enroll. Last July, the company laid off nearly one-third of its employees after shuttering a different cancer program.

With a market valuation now approaching $1.7 billion, investors are putting a lot of faith in Inovio’s ability to crack the coronavirus puzzle and develop a successful, protective vaccine. The company’s four-decade track record of drug-development futility and an accumulated deficit of $740 million suggest the task may be too much for it to handle.

Just now, XYZ said:

Think, man. Think what you are saying. Schools are cesspools. One adult gets the virus and passes it to his kid. Kid is a asymptomatic, goes to school and passes it to every other kid. Then every kid goes home and passes it to their parents.

I'm not advocating for it.  Just entertaining what their rationale is.  No docotor or nurse or LE officer is going to prioitize others over their own.  

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

AISD closed down now. Out here in the land of MILFs and honey, kids already get off friday before spring break.  I expect that we will see a 1 week extension of sb, at least. 

https://www.kut.org/post/2-test-positive-coronavirus-austin-aisd-schools-and-offices-will-close-friday

AISD holding classes at the Houston rodeo

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

And to expand on this, Qom was the epicenter in Iran, and its pop density is ~100 per sq km.  I dont know that population density matters as much as social density.  The big spreader in Daegu was the church where thousands of parishioners all cram together for hours.  The big spreader in Qom was the mosque where sick people come to get healed.  Italy is full of jam packed piazzas, and they church it up pretty hard.  The common factor there is likely age (church is generally full of an older crowd) and a bottleneck of people all in close contact / touching a lot of the same surfaces.  

SK pulled off a miracle by keeping it largely out of Seoul through super aggressive testing and social distancing.  Iran went the exact opposite route, initially dismissing the disease, and in Qom's case, thinking the mosque would make things better by flocking to it.  Italy is somewhere in the middle.  They tried to do the bare minimum to reduce impact on day to day life, and it ramped up out of their control quickly.  

Any talk within the TXSG on deployment for this?

6 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

So where can we get accurate up to date comprehensive numbers?

Seems like the Johns Hopkins thing is busted

this is at least the second time and maybe the third time you have posted this

it isn't down, it isn't "busted" - it is getting fucking SLAMMED hit/visitor wise and at some point it looks like the "paused" the updates (833a this morning) likely to try and keep it up and keep it from breaking

it has been a vital source for updates since basically the start 

i said it yesterday in response to your same type of comment - it is going to keep getting slammed in the mornings because it is seen as a central source of truth. think about how many millions of people are checking it in the mornings these days. 

edit: looks like they may have "frozen" it to update it - now showing last updated time (bottom left) of 913a and it fixed the other locations (bottom right) curve.

actually after a second refresh, it's bouncing back and forth between the 833a and 913a updates, in an attempt to stay up im guessing.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

Just now, NoName said:

this is at least the second time and maybe the third time you have posted this

it isn't down, it isn't "busted" - it is getting fucking SLAMMED hit/visitor wise and at some point it looks like the "paused" the updates (833a this morning) likely to try and keep it up and keep it from breaking

it has been a vital source for updates since basically the start 

i said it yesterday in response to your same type of comment - it is going to keep getting slammed in the mornings because it is seen as a central source of truth. think about how many millions of people are checking it in the mornings these days. 

Yeah man, just get on the email list and stop trying to visit the website every damn minute.  Daily update is all you need, from a data perspective.

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

I have no clue, my name is short for texas gator. 

Username definitely does not check out, but thanks for the clarification.  Was curious if there was an 8th Regiment that I wasn't familiar with...haven't followed closely in many years.

New test being implemented

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/new-coronavirus-test-10-times-faster-is-fda-approved/ar-BB118ePt?li=BBnb7Kz

U.S. health regulators have approved a new coronavirus test that will speed up by tenfold the ability to test patients, helping solve a significant obstacle to American efforts to contain the virus.

The Food and Drug Administration granted “emergency use authorization” to the test, which runs on Roche Holding AG’s cobas 6800/8800 systems. The 8800 system is capable of testing 4,128 patients a day, and the 6800 version can test as many as 1,440. The tool also is available in Europe and countries that accept its CE marking for medical devices.

Roche shares traded 11% higher at 1:29 p.m. in Zurich, the steepest intraday increase since 1997.

“We are increasing the speed definitely by a factor of 10,” Thomas Schinecker, head of the Swiss drugmaker’s diagnostics unit, said in an interview.

Testing is crucial to stem the spread of Covid-19 because it allows health care workers to identify the infected and quarantine them, even if they’re not experiencing many symptoms. That can potentially reduce the overall number of infections and buy time for drugmakers to come up with better treatments and, ultimately, a vaccine.

This is the third test -- and first commercially available one -- granted emergency approval by the FDA. The agency in February cleared diagnostic tools brought forth by the CDC and the New York State Department of Public Health.

The U.S. and much of Europe have been criticized for testing their populations too slowly, allowing the virus to proliferate. Roche’s cobas systems, launched in 2014, are widely available globally, with 695 of the 6800 instruments and 132 of the 8800 systems already installed.

There are 110 of these tools in the U.S., and Roche has installed a “significant amount” of new ones in key locations in the U.S. in recent weeks, Schinecker said. Roche declined to specify how many of those units are 8800 and how many are 6800 models.

“We definitely extended the capacity of the testing significantly throughout the U.S,” Schinecker said.

The cobas 8800 system can test patients about 10 times faster than Roche’s existing test for the coronavirus, which runs on its MagNA Pure 24 and the LightCycler 480 devices. While those instruments require more human attention, there are more of them in labs and hospitals around the world. They’ll continue to play a crucial role in testing people, especially outside the U.S., Schinecker said.

The cobas 6800/8800 instruments provide test results within four hours. Roche can provide millions of tests every month for the systems and is “going to the limits of its production capacity,” the company said. Roche declined to comment on pricing for the tests.

The tests analyze nucleic acids extracted from patients’ saliva or mucus, and compare them against sequences found in coronavirus strains, including SARS and the one that emerged in Wuhan, China.

• Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away