Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm not comparing it to the flu. No shit this is worse than the annual flu. I'm saying that certain countries have had huge successes in preventing hospitalizations and deaths with certain countermeasuers. Maybe the entire globe can try and implement practices akin to what SK did and we can avoid some of the larger death/hosp. estimates?

look, one of the reasons SK had so much success is the size of the country.

the United States is literally 99x larger than South Korea. Italy is 3x larger than South Korea. Iran is 17x larger than South Korea. Spain is 5x larger than South Korea. Germany is 4x larger than South Korea.

South Korea was very effective at testing, identifying those who had it and getting them quarantined. they started out very quickly with testing and were doing it early on before it was everywhere.

that time has passed for the rest of the world. 

• Like 1

Schools and university closures have rolled across Europe.  Many workplaces shuttered.

Today on the company message board they *suggested*, not enforce, that people should stay at home.  All the fucking corporate brownnosers be like "wow this is proof our company cares about safety!!!" "So proud to work for a responsible employer"

I couldn't find an emoji that rolls its eyes hard enough

• Like 1

Fairfax County Schools closed today.  They had a press conference yesterday defending their decision to stay open and their was overwhelming criticism from parents so they caved and closed.

Apparently Starbucks is considering shutting it down.  End of the world shit right there.  

Jesus Christ, the CV19 task force is making the rounds on the news this morning and they're continuing to refuse to answer questions or give hard numbers. They're all very focused on "well your site predictions haven't happened yet" and then when they lay our numbers next to Italy's, shifted back a week, lining up EXACTLY, and continue to praise the UNPRECEDENTED action of closing borders... Tonight?

The entire response team doesn't know what the fuck they're doing. They're giving us platitudes instead of useful information. 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

lol I wonder how many of my coworkers were there  and will be at work today 

Yeah, I've been morbidly amused by some of my Facebook friends posting earnest messages about how we all need to take this more seriously and flatten the curve, and then a few hours later those same people posting pictures of themselves on vacation in Mexico and the Bahamas.  

Schools and university closures have rolled across Europe.  Many workplaces shuttered.

Today on the company message board they *suggested*, not enforce, that people should stay at home.  All the fucking corporate brownnosers be like "wow this is proof our company cares about safety!!!" "So proud to work for a responsible employer"

I couldn't find an emoji that rolls its eyes hard enough

My firm sent out a lengthy "your safety is our first priority" email. Real estate, so we do a lot of travel, air and ground, for site visits. In no way was curbing this discussed.

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Jesus Christ, the CV19 task force is making the rounds on the news this morning and they're continuing to refuse to answer questions or give hard numbers. They're all very focused on "well your site predictions haven't happened yet" and then when they lay our numbers next to Italy's, shifted back a week, lining up EXACTLY, and continue to praise the UNPRECEDENTED action of closing borders... Tonight?

The entire response team doesn't know what the fuck they're doing. They're giving us platitudes instead of useful information. 

One of the task force members was on Fox News yesterday, asked point-blank if there would be enough ventilators, and dodged the shit out of the question.    

Like an okie avoiding a DNA test when his sister has her baby.    “It’s not important whether I’m the father, what’s important is that the baby is healthy and my girlfriend, I mean the baby’s momma, is also doing fine.”

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The problem is not developing the vaccine, per se.  It's testing it for safety/effectiveness.  Even on an accelerated schedule, it will take months to insure that it isn't more harmful than helpful.

I know of several people we should teet it on.  High powered people.

Holy shit.   Austin Public Health.  What a fucking joke.  “We don’t have any cases in Travis County” because they weren’t testing.
 There’s a shitload of people, from the county and city level up through the federal government, who need to lose their jobs and be publicly shamed for their incompetence or negligence.  It’s almost criminal.   

To be fair, that's the story for a lot of PH departments nationwide due to federal/ state guidance. And it goes back to lack of testing capacity, which is ultimately on the feds. They can't test these people. I know criticizing the federal government is a no no in this thread, but I'd direct your anger there.

Thread here: 

he included this correction after the fact: Important correction: Reed Caldwell (who I spoke to) is Assistant Professor of Emergency Health at NYU Langone not the head of it!

Full text from threadreader  below:

Spoiler

So tonight I spoke w the head of Emergency Medicine at Langone NYU and I want to pass along some important takeaways from our segment about What To Do If You Feel Ill... 

Naturally, people feeling they have flu-like symptoms that may be COVID-19 want to be tested, but the reality is: at this point that is neither a realistic possibility nor a medical priority. 

His advice: if you're in a low-risk group and feel symptoms, self-isolate. Monitor your temperature. Drink plenty of fluids and take ibuprofen. Stay away from people and just rest up as if you had the flu. 

If your conditions worsen, seek contact with your doctor, ideally through telemedicine of some kind. But don't expect a test, and DO NOT go to medical centers seeking one, unless you have concern you need urgent care or emergency medicine. 

If you're in a high risk group -- 60+, immune compromised, other pre-existing conditions and comorbitidies -- self-isolate and immediately contact your physician.

The only people who should be going to the ER are people who have urgent symptoms (including by not limited to trouble breathing). We need to keep the ER's clear and right now testing simply is not a priority for the path we're on, in terms of managing the virus. 

7 hours ago, naija said:

cancellation of elective medical/surgical procedures being discussed

Back in January, I made an appointment to get a vasectomy on the first Friday of the NCAA tournament so I could take maximum advantage of the recovery process. 

For the entire procedure to be canceled would be a real kick in the balls. 

• Like 2

Axios Vitals on the Coronavirus Testing delay: link

Some of the nation’s best academic laboratories wanted to begin developing their own coronavirus diagnostic tests early last month, but were blocked by federal rules about test development.

Why it matters: The U.S. is woefully behind in mass deployment of tests to detect coronavirus, determine its spread and isolate hot spots. Once given the go-ahead to develop tests under more relaxed terms, some of these labs were able to get tests up and running in a matter of days.

Even though their testing capacity is usually limited, academic labs are particularly crucial to coronavirus testing because they’re attached to hospitals. That means that providers treating patients at these hospitals can receive tests results much more quickly than those who have to send samples to commercial, state or CDC labs.

• Part of the overall problem with testing right now isn’t just that there aren’t enough tests available, but also that there can be long delays in determining whether patients are infected or not.

“They followed the standard process, but what needed to be in vision was that this was a once in a generation pathogen — a once in a generation epidemic,” former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb told me.

and

The bottom line: As of yesterday, the U.S. has the capacity to test about 22,000 people a day, although it's unclear how many people are actually being tested. South Korea — which has a significantly smaller population — is testing nearly 20,000 people a day, the BBC reports.

Spoiler

Data: AEI; Table: Axios Visuals

Some of the nation’s best academic laboratories wanted to begin developing their own coronavirus diagnostic tests early last month, but were blocked by federal rules about test development.

Why it matters: The U.S. is woefully behind in mass deployment of tests to detect coronavirus, determine its spread and isolate hot spots. Once given the go-ahead to develop tests under more relaxed terms, some of these labs were able to get tests up and running in a matter of days.

Even though their testing capacity is usually limited, academic labs are particularly crucial to coronavirus testing because they’re attached to hospitals. That means that providers treating patients at these hospitals can receive tests results much more quickly than those who have to send samples to commercial, state or CDC labs.

• Part of the overall problem with testing right now isn’t just that there aren’t enough tests available, but also that there can be long delays in determining whether patients are infected or not.

“They followed the standard process, but what needed to be in vision was that this was a once in a generation pathogen — a once in a generation epidemic,” former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb told me.

The approval process for the academic labs highlights the clash between bureaucracy — which is in place for a reason — and the need to move quickly in the face of an emerging pandemic.

• “I do understand the FDA’s viewpoint, which is there’s really a need to standardize testing and make sure test results are accurate,” said Charles Chiu, associate director of the University of California at San Francisco Clinical Microbiology Laboratory. But “this is something that probably should have been discussed from the get go when we first knew about the outbreak in China.”

Yes, but: Less than a dozen academic labs are currently running tests, although others have said they’re working on developing them.

• The FDA posted relaxed testing guidelines on Feb. 29. Major commercial labs — like LabCorp and Quest — and smaller, non-academic private labs have also gotten tests prepared for operation since the announcement, in addition to academic labs — a total of more than 30 private labs, per the FDA. 16 were testing patients as of yesterday.
  • State public health labs are also running tests, but like the CDC and commercial labs, aren’t directly connected with care sites.
  • “The spread of the virus — it basically outstripped the guidance provided by the FDA,” Chiu said.

The other side: “In the U.S., we have policies in place that strike the right balance during public health emergencies of ensuring critical independent review by the scientific and public health experts and timely test availability,” FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn said in a speech earlier this month..

• “The CDC test is a high-quality test, and it’s important to remember that false negatives or positives can be detrimental to making sure we are treating patients early, without delay, and also not quarantining healthy individuals.”

How it happened: Benjamin Pinsky, Medical Director of the Clinical Virology Laboratory at Stanford, told me that his lab began working on a test in early February, following the FDA guidelines at the time. After the FDA posted its more relaxed guidance, it took the lab only days to validate its test.

• “We were waiting for the FDA to make a decision about how they would handle clinical laboratory testing,” Pinsky said. “My goal was to be prepared as soon as they were ready to allow clinical labs to start testing.”
  • Stanford got permission to begin testing on March 2 and began doing so on March 4. By the end of the day, Santa Clara County had already confirmed 14 cases, meaning that community spread was already underway.

The lab in San Francisco asked in early February if it could develop its own lab test under less extreme requirements, but the FDA said that the lab would have to instead go through the more stringent emergency use authorization process, per regulation.

• “We were trying to submit a clinical [lab-developed test] or develop a clinical [test] for [emergency-use authorization] approval, and the issue with it was it was delayed and that was because the FDA’s requirements were quite stringent,” Chiu said. “The FDA was making it too laborious…it would take too long to actually get approval.”
  • And at that point, with the more severe requirements in place, the lab felt that it would make more sense to wait for commercial labs to develop tests rather than creating their own.
  • “I think that it would have been helpful had some of the new guidance come out earlier so that laboratories would have had more time, whereas now we’re scrambling to meet demand,” Chiu said.

And on the East Coast, Karen Carroll, director of the Division of Medical Microbiology at Johns Hopkins, said that her lab had tried to get the CDC testing kit, but was denied access.

• “The CDC said we were not a public health laboratory and they were only making the kits available to public health” labs, Carroll said. It was eventually discovered that the kits weren’t working.
  • The lab eventually made its own test after the requirements were relaxed. It took four days.

As reported by the New York Times, the University of Washington had also wanted to develop its own test, and around mid-February, grew frustrated with the FDA’s process.

The bottom line: As of yesterday, the U.S. has the capacity to test about 22,000 people a day, although it's unclear how many people are actually being tested. South Korea — which has a significantly smaller population — is testing nearly 20,000 people a day, the BBC reports.

this is basically the chart that pasted weird above:

ES8CnLRWsAEK2JA.jpg

Edited by NoName
added charts

Not trying to cause panic, but I took an arrestee to Parkland last night (not for medical reasons) and I spoke to a charge nurse who said they have about 60 people in the ER the they suspect to have the virus. They are waiting on tests. 

I think we are all generally on the same alert level, don’t take this as panic info. I’m sure they probably have more than what she thought. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Constant said:

Not trying to cause panic, but I took an arrestee to Parkland last night (not for medical reasons) and I spoke to a charge nurse who said they have about 60 people in the ER the they suspect to have the virus. They are waiting on tests. 

I think we are all generally on the same alert level, don’t take this as panic info. I’m sure they probably have more than what she thought. 

Where is Parkland, or where are you based?  Not trying to be pedantic, but not everyone around here knows the names of specific areas within larger metros where they don't live and I'm definitely interested to know what town/city/region you're referring to that potentially has 60 CV19 cases in ER.  Thanks!

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Where is Parkland, or where are you based?  Not trying to be pedantic, but not everyone around here knows the names of specific areas within larger metros where they don't live and I'm definitely interested to know what town/city/region you're referring to that potentially has 60 CV19 cases in ER.  Thanks!

Parkland is in Dallas. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Parkland is in Dallas. Where they took JFK.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Parkland is a 850+ bed, Level I trauma center (highest level) in Dallas that has almost 250k ER visits / year and more than 72k discharges / year

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Parkland is a 850+ bed, Level I trauma center in Dallas that has almost 250k ER visits / year and more than 72k discharges / year

That's almost comparable to the number of bed visits and discharges for south Austins mom

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

so at this point, the best hope is a vaccine from outside the US ?

big pharm has to be drooling at the thought of being first to market with this vaccine 

Lol.  In pharma, the vaccine side of the business is akin to septic tank servicing.  Companies don’t make shit for a return with vaccines and several of the big players got out of the vaccine business a few years ago.

• Like 1

The stages of an individual's crisis coping.

1) Don't know a dang thing about it.  I read about CV around the 1st of the year.  This thread started on January 22.  The first text on my phone discussing it was Feb 5.  It was Monday when people outside my small circle of friends started saying, "Have you heard about Coronavirus!  LOL this is CRAZY!"

2) Denial.  This is where your average idiot is right now.  Loading up on TP and bottled water but not things like...food.  They don't have more than a week of food on hand.  And when school is cancelled for their kids they're surprised on the outside and getting weird feelings on the inside.

3) Panic.  The herd will flip from denial to panic in an instant.  Something random will trigger it and about half of the Country will flip out.  We can monitor this on our neighborhood Facebook group.

IMHO, we'll go from Denial to Panic sometime Sunday evening.

Edited by Parliament

7 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

With the limited testing, you have to think actual numbers are many times this. Hospital bed crisis will be here in a week.

If you listen to the CV19 task force, you're part of the problem for noticing actual points of concern. Stop causing a panic, or something

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

And where Doctor Red Duke was on duty that day, and worked on Governor Connally.  

I only remember him on TV saying:

"From the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston... I'm Doctor Red Duke."

• Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away