Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

No one who passed 6th grade math is blowing off 1% when there's talk of 40+% of the country getting it at some point. 1% for something as contagious as this is a huge fucking number.

Oh trust me, people are blowing off that number.  Go hit up the Facebook pages of 10 or 15 of your relatives.  

• Like 2

https://people.com/health/italian-medical-chief-roberto-stella-dies-coronavirus/

The president of the Medical Guild of Varese, Roberto Stella, has died of coronavirus. He was 67.

Stella died on Tuesday in Como, Italy, after being hospitalized following his coronavirus diagnosis, CNN and ABC News reported, citing a local Italian outlet.

The Italian medical chief was hospitalized for respiratory failure, stemming from the disease, CNN reported.

Italy’s National Federation of Doctors and General Practitioners issued a statement following the news mourning Stella’s death.

“He was the example of the capability and hard work of family doctors. His death represents the outcry of all colleagues who still today are not equipped with the proper individual protection needed,” the federation’s secretary Silvestro Scotti told CNN.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Manhattan is 70k/sq mile based on residential density alone. But since its the largest business district in the world, its about 3 to 4 times that density on the average weekday.

Today, it was a ghost town compared to what it usually looks like. 

I work in mid-town. It was eerie seeing how empty it was when I left work at 5. The N train had maybe a quarter of capacity on it. I transferred at Lexington to the 6 going to Spanish Harlem and it was maybe 1/3 full. Manhattan is going to be like that for a good long while I think. 

Edited by UpperWestside

5 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Lamar CISD (our schools in Greatwood) added another week to this week's spring break. My guess is that they will add more days after that as well. 

All Texas East Little League activities in all districts and all leagues have been suspended until at least April 6. We sent out the email today and there are knucklehead LL dads already responding that they would rather play their games and asking if they can still practice if there are no games. 

All LL across the world is suspended until 4/06, at the earliest. That was one of the more sobering shitheaps to deal with today.  Explaining it, while “coronavirus” was a known thing for a few days to my 4 little kids was simultaneously difficult and not fun. 

5 hours ago, RollLeft said:

@closetojumping were you and the fam able to make it to Disney before closing?  If so, how were the crowds?  

We were set to go next Wednesday and come back on Sunday. My wife is a start-up chick and fearless. I started planting the seed that, “maybe, i don’t know, perhaps?” we couldn’t make the run like 2 weeks ago and she wouldn’t hear it. Even tonight, she’s pissed that we’re heading to the vacation home in Galveston this weekend and making me talk about fun stuff this weekend.  

She’s smarter than almost all of you idiots and me, so I don’t know, I usually am reluctant to reset her. 

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Close friend works for the DA

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Cancelling spring sports might be net neutral or even positive for a lot of schools depending on how much can be recouped, since they lose money. 

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Id legit estimate there are 1-2million people infected at this time

in a week, itll be 20 million

we need to quarantine For at least 3 weeks starting tomorrow, or else we become a bigger italy, where the fatality rate is now 8%

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I agree. I have a sliver of hope.
Of course, I also see plenty of people yammering about how this is media hype and a hoax. So maybe not.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Plenty of them have a herd mentality of some sort, no matter how contrarian they may act.  Seeing shit empty out in stores, seeing people like Rita Wilson and her husband getting it, seeing pretty much all pro and college sports shut down.  

These things are going to lodge in their heads.    May take a day or two or four  to coalesce into thoughts of “okay, this is something I should be concerned about.”

And when that testing dam breaks and we start  seeing 500-1000 cases a day, you’re going to see them go into full bunker mentality.  

I’m sorry, but the “everyone in America is a clown” routine has to end with posters here. The overall population has decided to fuck themselves financially, or take the fucking, for the greater good. At some point, declaring everyone stupid and wishing everyone poorly needs a breath of fresh air and reality. Most of you have nothing else to ask short of “shelter in place” which would further crush the economy in the next 2 months and might not matter. Find a new trope to bawl about because you fished your wish with regard to destroying the economy and watching the world burn. 

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Doubt it.  He’s been remarkably silent this whole time, or at least happy to defer to the feds.   Same with our Lt. Gov.   they seem happy to leave all of this up to the cities and counties.  

3 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

It posted this in the markets thread.  All these cancellations are going to bankrupt many businesses.  Many of these companies are maxing revolving credit lines and withdrawing the cash from bank accounts.  This is going to crash the banking system.  I would begin to prepare for bank runs and bank closures in the near future if this panic narrative is allowed to continue.  I am almost entirely out of the system, phew.  After tomorrow, I am free.

2 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Once the bankruptcies start....  there is no stopping complete systematic failure.  These places have no patrons.  If they have revolvers (revolving credit), they have been pulling out the cash and will default.  It's already started.

Stick with reposting links to news or fake news. What you’ve written here is nothing more than fiction and silliness. Just silly noise on a thread trying to keep up. Thanks for wasting our time. 

2 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

FIL is a director at a small business bank. Assets around $700 million. He said they stress test for scenarios like this and have processes in place to assist lendees. Also there are multiple tools from the fed to provide needed liquidity in a situation like this. 

Anyway he didn’t seem concerned and is the only person I know who is not freaked out by the market decline. Actually seemed excited. Just another great buying opportunity like 08. I want to believe. 

I appreciate those with a cool head right now. I’m involved with trying to do the same. The issue now is that the uncertainty with the future is truly unknown. We all want to believe we know everything we need to, but we know we don’t.  Too many unknowns and unknown outcomes are available right now. 

2 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

No, it's a band-aid on a knife wound.  The businesses are going to lose confidence first.  The banking system is all a confidence game.  They are going to go to cash reserves instead of cash on account because they will understand the situation and want to be free at a moments notice. 

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

What’s the point of hoarding cash if cash will be worthless?

The idiot quoted above and your question are answered simply by the reality that the underlying assumptions are wrong and the following discussion from that is pointless. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, Tehran is 31k/sq mi.

Definitely a factor.  Not surprising, but worth considering.

A key underlying component to US issues with this is how we compare to elsewhere with physical coverage. I am guessing Manhattan and similar, smaller places have a pretty big proximity risk. Houston, Dallas, Denver, Phoenix - this is not an issue. Continues to cut through the cookie cutter style of analysis of how the US matches other places, or doesn’t. Hell, then think about weather. 

• Like 1

Unlike during SARS, China’s scientists are publishing openly and accurately on COVID-19.  
While China’s early reports on incidence were clearly low, that seems to trace to their data management systems being overwhelmed, not to any bad intent.

From the 'wall of words' up the page, those two lines jumped out.  This has all happened so fast, and those on the frontline who are further along than the US is in this pandemic have been so overwhelmed that they are just now organizing and getting out their experiences, treatments, and other data.  I'm hopeful that we learn more about why SoKo has suppressed their relative CFR.  I suspect a medicine cocktail will emerge that SoKo can point to as being clearly a cut above.  I first saw some of those protocols linked here this morning with some antiviral drugs but also that oldie chloroquine.  Sometimes answers seem to be hiding in plain sight, and appear when repurposed.  If we could take their lead and dial it in further, maybe we make some real short to medium term progress reducing illness severity.  It's priority one for the whole world, China included.  China does not have anything approaching herd immunity and also doesn't want to endure long term pressure to isolate.  No one is past this and everyone needs to collaborate as completely as possible.

Edited by triplehorn

54 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

so at this point, the best hope is a vaccine from outside the US ?

big pharm has to be drooling at the thought of being first to market with this vaccine 

Why do you think they have any desire to cure the virus?

https://babylonbee.com/news/nations-nerds-wake-up-in-utopia-where-everyone-stays-inside-sports-canceled-social-interaction-forbidden

Nation's Nerds Wake Up In Utopia Where Everyone Stays Inside, Sports Are Canceled, Social Interaction Forbidden

U.S.—The nation's nerds woke up in a utopia this morning, one where everyone stays inside, sporting events are being canceled, and all social interaction is forbidden.

All types of nerds, from social introverts to hardcore PC gamers, welcomed the dawn of this new era, privately from their own homes.

"I have been waiting my whole life for this moment," said Ned Pendleton, 32 -- via text message, of course -- as he fired up League of Legends on his beefy gaming PC. "They told me to take up a sport and that the kids playing basketball and stuff were gonna be way more successful than us nerds who played Counter-Strike at LAN parties every weekend."

"They all laughed at me. Well, who's laughing now?"

To prepare for the onslaught of the deadly disease, nerds are changing absolutely nothing and are expected to rise up to rule the post-Coronavirus society, as they are the ones best adjusted to being sheltered in a basement, garage, or room for many days at a time marathoning HaloHalf-Life, The Legend of ZeldaRed Dead Redemption, or Horizon Zero Dawn. They're also ready for any post-apocalyptic wasteland, as they've played many, many hours of Fallout and are adept at killing bloatflies and collecting bottlecaps.

Of course, many nerds are running out of hygienic products, but they say that's "not an issue."

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

News conference regarding two presumptive positive cases of coronavirus in Austin-Travis County set to begin soon.

Two cases were a 60 something year old man who is in the hospital and a 30 something year old woman who is quarantined at home. Both got it from outside Austin. 

Fauci stating on MSNBC right now that 4 million tests are coming in the next few days. 

EDIT:  Okay, I'll take out this gif after hearing Fauci finishing that interview.  He gave me hope, actually, that this will get under control.  

Edited by Pancho

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

All LL across the world is suspended until 4/06, at the earliest. That was one of the more sobering shitheaps to deal with today.  Explaining it, while “coronavirus” was a known thing for a few days to my 4 little kids was simultaneously difficult and not fun. 

We were set to go next Wednesday and come back on Sunday. My wife is a start-up chick and fearless. I started planting the seed that, “maybe, i don’t know, perhaps?” we couldn’t make the run like 2 weeks ago and she wouldn’t hear it. Even tonight, she’s pissed that we’re heading to the vacation home in Galveston this weekend and making me talk about fun stuff this weekend.  

She’s smarter than almost all of you idiots and me, so I don’t know, I usually am reluctant to reset her. 

I’m sorry, but the “everyone in America is a clown” routine has to end with posters here. The overall population has decided to fuck themselves financially, or take the fucking, for the greater good. At some point, declaring everyone stupid and wishing everyone poorly needs a breath of fresh air and reality. Most of you have nothing else to ask short of “shelter in place” which would further crush the economy in the next 2 months and might not matter. Find a new trope to bawl about because you fished your wish with regard to destroying the economy and watching the world burn. 

Stick with reposting links to news or fake news. What you’ve written here is nothing more than fiction and silliness. Just silly noise on a thread trying to keep up. Thanks for wasting our time. 

I appreciate those with a cool head right now. I’m involved with trying to do the same. The issue now is that the uncertainty with the future is truly unknown. We all want to believe we know everything we need to, but we know we don’t.  Too many unknowns and unknown outcomes are available right now. 

The idiot quoted above and your question are answered simply by the reality that the underlying assumptions are wrong and the following discussion from that is pointless. 

A key underlying component to US issues with this is how we compare to elsewhere with physical coverage. I am guessing Manhattan and similar, smaller places have a pretty big proximity risk. Houston, Dallas, Denver, Phoenix - this is not an issue. Continues to cut through the cookie cutter style of analysis of how the US matches other places, or doesn’t. Hell, then think about weather. 

Keeping track of that many quotes to respond to would put me past your username.   No wonder you’re so uptight.  

so, turns out CDC has changed their methodology as of yesterday and changed the number of tests from the last few days.

this is the update: 

† Non-respiratory specimens were excluded. For state public health labs, the date represents the date of sample collection, if available, or the date tested. For CDC labs, the date represents the date specimen was received at CDC. Results reported as of 4:00 pm ET on March 11 were included.

starting on 3/8 (they previously had zero reported for this date)  - and they have been going back and updating a ton of these.

they still don't have totals...

this is maddening. 

22 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Fauci stating on MSNBC right now that 4 million tests are coming in the next few days. 

EDIT:  Okay, I'll take out this gif after hearing Fauci finishing that interview.  He gave me hope, actually, that this will get under control.  

Not to piss in your Cheerios, but we were told by the CV19 task force they'd have 1 million tests a week ago. So far we've tested in the ballpark of 10k. I wouldn't take anything they say about testing with any level of seriousness. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Keeping track of that many quotes to respond to would put me past your username.   No wonder you’re so uptight.  

You should thank CTJ.  He remains thoroughly on the edge, so that you and I don't have to.  

• Like 1

Probably up thread 2 days ago but this thing is a shit show. Here this article previewed our first Austin positive.  TLDR: They went to Italy in January, got sick with Corona when they got back, tested neg for Flu, saw what was going on in Italy and stayed home from work, but sent their kids to preschool anyway bc they weren’t showing symptoms. Now young daughter has symptoms. Blames entire situation on lack of testing and not them being selfish dumbasses who infected their kids’ school and families from there. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-testing-numbers/607714/

“I have no clue if we could have already or could be now spreading this to others,” a 38-year-old woman who lives near Austin, Texas, who asked not to be identified for privacy reasons, told us.

After returning from Western Europe in late January, the woman and her husband came down with a mysterious illness, which sent them in and out of week-long fevers. She and her husband would wake up coughing in the middle of the night, their ribs aching so badly that they needed to vomit. She has tested negative for the flu, twice, and also tested negative for strep. She has been diagnosed with pneumonia.

On her trip, she had frequently been in large, international crowds, where she could easily have been exposed to the coronavirus. But despite having all the symptoms, she has not been tested for it. When she called Austin’s public-health department to ask for guidance, she was told that unless she was hospitalized or had traveled to China, she could not be tested for COVID-19.

“The woman who I talked to said, ‘There aren’t any cases here [in Travis County],’” she told us. “And I said, ‘There hasn’t been any testing, so how do you know?’”

Without a firm answer about whether she has the virus, she has agonized over how to act responsibly. When is she overreacting? When is she being reckless? She and her husband have stayed home since they became ill, but their son and daughter, both younger than 5, attended school until her daughter ran a fever last week.

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

From that wall of words:

Where do you find reliable news?
The John Hopkins Center for Health Security site.  Which posts daily updates.  The site says you can sign up to receive a daily newsletter on COVID-19 by email.  [I tried and the page times out due to high demand.  After three more tries I was successful in registering for the newsletter.]  

direct link: http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/newsroom/newsletters/e-newsletter-sign-up.html

edit: yes, they are getting hammered and it's timing out...

edit2: still timing out 10 min later

edit3: just now got in - just keep trying

Edited by NoName

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

this is maddening. 

But not surprising.  The way this thing has been mismanaged since late January, while much smaller countries got their shit together and set a high standard, will be taught in caves, using crude stick figure drawings, for decades to come.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Not to piss in your Cheerios, but we were told by the CV19 task force they'd have 1 million tests a week ago. So far we've tested in the ballpark of 10k. I wouldn't take anything they say about testing with any level of seriousness. 

10k tests... You’d think we are Uganda and not the United States of America. 

4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Probably up thread 2 days ago but this thing is a shit show. Here this article previewed our first Austin positive.  TLDR: They went to Italy in January, got sick with Corona when they got back, tested neg for Flu, saw what was going on in Italy but sent their kids to preschool anyway bc they weren’t showing symptoms, now young daughter has symptoms. Blames entire situation on lack of testing and not them being selfish dumbasses who infected their kids’ school and families from there. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-testing-numbers/607714/

Hide contents

“I have no clue if we could have already or could be now spreading this to others,” a 38-year-old woman who lives near Austin, Texas, who asked not to be identified for privacy reasons, told us.

After returning from Western Europe in late January, the woman and her husband came down with a mysterious illness, which sent them in and out of week-long fevers. She and her husband would wake up coughing in the middle of the night, their ribs aching so badly that they needed to vomit. She has tested negative for the flu, twice, and also tested negative for strep. She has been diagnosed with pneumonia.

On her trip, she had frequently been in large, international crowds, where she could easily have been exposed to the coronavirus. But despite having all the symptoms, she has not been tested for it. When she called Austin’s public-health department to ask for guidance, she was told that unless she was hospitalized or had traveled to China, she could not be tested for COVID-19.

“The woman who I talked to said, ‘There aren’t any cases here [in Travis County],’” she told us. “And I said, ‘There hasn’t been any testing, so how do you know?’”

Without a firm answer about whether she has the virus, she has agonized over how to act responsibly. When is she overreacting? When is she being reckless? She and her husband have stayed home since they became ill, but their son and daughter, both younger than 5, attended school until her daughter ran a fever last week.

Yeah, I'd say they spread the shit out of it.  Austin cluster emerging soon.

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Appreciate the post but this is a pretty big assumption. SK already got the death rate below 1%. Recently read Canada is working on a vaccine. I might be totally wrong to put some faith in medical science in 2020 but there's a chance we figure this thing out much more quickly than 18 months from now. 

everyone is working on a vaccine.

vaccines are REALLY hard to create - if it is done in the next 12 months it is superhuman. even the next 18 is a tremendous accomplishments 

5 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Probably up thread 2 days ago but this thing is a shit show. Here this article previewed our first Austin positive.  TLDR: They went to Italy in January, got sick with Corona when they got back, tested neg for Flu, saw what was going on in Italy but sent their kids to preschool anyway bc they weren’t showing symptoms, now young daughter has symptoms. Blames entire situation on lack of testing and not them being selfish dumbasses who infected their kids’ school and families from there. 

Reveal hidden contents

Holy shit.   Austin Public Health.  What a fucking joke.  “We don’t have any cases in Travis County” because they weren’t testing.

There’s a shitload of people, from the county and city level up through the federal government, who need to lose their jobs and be publicly shamed for their incompetence or negligence.  It’s almost criminal.   

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

One thing I notice.  The places hit hard are very population dense.

For example, Milan's population density is 20k/sq mi, while the City of Dallas is 3900.  Seoul's is 42k.  Hong Kong's is less than Milan's.  Wuhan's is closer to Dallas'.

So maybe that bodes well for a slowed/reduced infection rate out here in the hinterlands now that we're doing some stuff.

Corona didn’t really hit Seoul, it was rampant in Daegu. Density there is 2767 per sq km.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away