Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Talked to a buddy who works at HEB HQ. He said that yeah shit is crazy but the hoarding isn't new to them despite it happening on a bigger scale. They have protocols in place to keep the goods flowing but they need to get through this initial wave of hoarding first. Plenty of food to go around they just need people to stop buying a month's worth of toilet paper at one time. He also mentioned that the suppliers are throttling orders across the board but they are HEB so that shouldn't be a major issue.

Mentioned there is an effort to scale up curbside and other online services but the current hoarding is making things difficult.

1 minute ago, Tailgate said:

don’t rush into an emergency room spreading it if you think you have it as most people can be treated at home. 

And don't go to urgent care either. Toilet Paper and water hoarding people are the same people who run into a crowded waiting room as soon as little Janie gets a mild cough. I'm going to end up getting a complaint to the Texas Medical Board because at some point I won't be able to hold my tongue.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Yeah, but you never know - especially if this is a long term thing where you risk infection for a number of weeks.  After talking with my PCP, I went ahead and moved from Olmesartan to Norvasc just in case.  If there are problems with the Norvasc I will likely switch back, though.

Olmesartan isn't an ACE Inhibitor though so why the concern/move?  Just because they are in the same ballpark?

Edited by Surly Bevo

Just now, Newdoc said:

And don't go to urgent care either. Toilet Paper and water hoarding people are the same people who run into a crowded waiting room as soon as little Janie gets a mild cough. I'm going to end up getting a complaint to the Texas Medical Board because at some point I won't be able to hold my tongue.

Don't be salty just because you can't wipe your ass at home.

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Talked to a buddy who works at HEB HQ. He said that yeah shit is crazy but the hoarding isn't new to them despite it happening on a bigger scale. They have protocols in place to keep the goods flowing but they need to get through this initial wave of hoarding first. Plenty of food to go around they just need people to stop buying a month's worth of toilet paper at one time. He also mentioned that the suppliers are throttling orders across the board but they are HEB so that shouldn't be a major issue.

Mentioned there is an effort to scale up curbside and other online services but the current hoarding is making things difficult.

Pretty much the exact same behavior and results as the gasoline hoarding from last year.  Plenty of product in the supply chain, just can't be replenished quickly enough to stop the spot shortages due to hoarding.

I've enough food to last a couple weeks but I expect the initial surge will resolve itself by the end of the weekend and things will be back to normal by Tuesday or Wednesday.  

The first hoarding wave for the masses is only 48 hours in.  By mid-week, people who can afford to are going to run out of space in their freezer and fridge, at which point they will descend on the canned/dry stuff.  So, likely another 7-10 days before 90% of america can neither afford to nor have the space for storage of additional hoarding.

I was out today and was discombulatedly shocked by the number of families with young children and at-risk olds/comorbids out and around like a normal saturday.

Absolutely unbelievable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

We’ll be right behind them very soon. People In the US aren’t taking this seriously at all. I haven’t left my house since I got home Friday and I plan taking all PTO next week and staying bunkered down.

I thought this thing was a joke about 5 days ago, but fuck this it’s not worth the risk for me or anyone else. I’ve told my 70 yo parents to stay at home and do not leave.

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

The first hoarding wave for the masses is only 48 hours in.  By mid-week, people who can afford to are going to run out of space in their freezer and fridge, at which point they will descend on the canned/dry stuff.  So, likely another 7-10 days before 90% of america can neither afford to nor have the space for storage of additional hoarding.

I was out today and was discombulatedly shocked by the number of families with young children and at-risk olds/comorbids out and around like a normal saturday.

Absolutely unbelievable.

Wait till the govt announces a quarantine in a week... the hoarders will be back again

I have an idea for NYC or anywhere that is trying to flatten the curve.   Take some of the people that will be out of a job because places are shutting down, rent U-Hauls, Penske trucks, whatever and deliver meals to elderly and kids who are home but arent getting their breakfast sandwich at school.  Let's get something like the old CCC from the New Deal up and running and do some good.  Keep some people working and get food to those who need it. 

Let's start thinking outside the box. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, landman said:

Which puts the mortality rate where?  50,000 with 40 deaths is approaching flu mortality. 500,000 is below it. 

Your numbers are based on all those cases being resolved. 

That wild ass guess by the doctor certainly doesn't help matters any, though. 

4 minutes ago, landman said:

Which puts the mortality rate where?  50,000 with 40 deaths is approaching flu mortality. 500,000 is below it. 

There's at least a couple week lag between infection and the most serious effects including death, so there's no way to draw this conclusion.

But if you want to put a pin in a number of 50,000 or 500,000 infected, today, and look at the mortality rate 2-3 weeks from now, that would be a more informative exercise.  

8 minutes ago, landman said:

That's an incomplete picture because we don't know how many of these cases are going to result in deaths.

1 minute ago, bluto said:

Haven’t read last few pages but heard rumor of non essential (grocery) commercial trucking being shut down. Anybody else heard that?

My cousin is a lot lizard and this could really put a damper on her business.  She might have to take a second job at a second rest stop on I20.  This virus is really wreaking havoc on the small business owners.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Olmesartan isn't an ACE Inhibitor though so why the concern/move?  Just because they are in the same ballpark?

ARBs also increase expression of ACE receptors, or at least that's what the literature says.

Here's one doctor's opinion on the subject:  https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m810/rr-2

No idea how long it takes to reduce back to normal levels but I don't see the harm unless there are issues with the CCB.

15 minutes ago, F250 said:

They should go to only curbside and delivery.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluto said:

Haven’t read last few pages but heard rumor of non essential (grocery) commercial trucking being shut down. Anybody else heard that?

Why?  What good would that do?  If we can't shut down community spread by sheeple, what good would it do to halt the supply chain?  Transmission on surfaces?  let the cargo sit for 4 days on arrival.  Willing to listen to why but doesn't make any sense.

4 minutes ago, bluto said:

I did get an email that FMCSA is suspending regs for hours of service on anything transported related to Covid. Groceries and other consumer goods were included in the list. 

Oh and as for how the hoarding is going....   Stores are already starting to run low on canned goods.  I made one last trip early this morning to round out my stuff and the HEB nearest me was nearly bone dry of ramen, beans of almost any type,  maybe 2/3s of canned veggies,  bread was scarce.  I was there getting some spices and flavorings to use long term.  Most people had carts piled high with whatever they could get.  A lot of people are going to be eating canned corn with cereal for dinner I guess.

A friend was north of me in Porter and the Walmart was similar.  Totally different demographics for the most part between Kingwood and Porter but the stores are also only about 10 miles apart.  I assume that smaller cities and towns haven't hit the same panic levels but all of this hoarding in major cities just disrupts distribution everywhere else. 

1 minute ago, Telegraph_it said:

I did get an email that FMCSA is suspending regs for hours of service on anything transported related to Covid. Groceries and other consumer goods were included in the list. 

Great, so we get a bunch of truck drivers hopped up on No-Doz and Redbull driving on our roads.  It'll be like Russian roads out there.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And the new cases are finally enough to get a travel ban with the UK and Ireland.  

We need a domestic travel ban right now. And this is coming from an extreme libertarian. Americans are too stupid and stubborn to stay home.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, landman said:

Now realize that it takes a few days after coming down with the virus before you have symptoms, and then another 10-14 days (if you are lucky) to recover from it - so get back to us in a week or two when this initial spread has had time to run its course and tell us about the mortality rate .

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away