Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

8 minutes ago, landman said:

Why is it assumed hospitals are going to get overwhelmed?  The percentage of those that have been diagnosed and sent to the hospital is infantile.  Unless there's an underlying condition, they are sent home to self quarantine. 

We have 5,000 hospital beds in Austin.   They run 85-95% full normally.    They are built around a normal max stay of 5-6 days, and after that you are sent home or sent to a long-term facility   

Our healthcare system is not setup for an influx of people to each spend 2-3 weeks in the hospital, and each having to be on ventilators and treated in an isolated area by healthcare workers in full PPE   

We also do not have the ICUs, ventilators, PPE, etc. to handle more than a few hundred CV victims at a time.  

Here in Austin, I’ve seen a few estimate that we could get 500 beds With ventilators and PPE for staff setup for this in an emergency.    If only 5% need hospitalization, you can figure out how many 10s of thousands it will take before that 5% overwhelm our hospital.  

• Like 2

To the md’s on this site , how crazy would it need to get to ease the requirements for home O2. Seems like that would help if the shit hits the fan. 

of the 15-20% who need hospitalization, are the majority of those just on the floor with 2L nasal canula and q6 albuterol. Pretty sure lots can do this at home. 

9 minutes ago, B00M said:

What a cocksucker. Is he hoping a pic of his family garners some sympathy? If you want to avoid the NYT paywall just Google "17,700 sanitizers" ... I hope a local emergency declaration allows his inventory to be confiscated and distributed to hospitals.

yep. someone should introduce a bill that when a federal health emergency(not a national emergency because that usually takes longer and the panic buying has already set in) is issued gouging on certain items can lead to federal prosecution. similar to gas, water, etc.  maybe it already exists but I haven't heard of it. 

2 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

To the md’s on this site , how crazy would it need to get to ease the requirements for home O2. Seems like that would help if the shit hits the fan. 

of the 15-20% who need hospitalization, are the majority of those just on the floor with 2L nasal canula and q6 albuterol. Pretty sure lots can do this at home. 

A normal sized oxygen cylinder at 2L/min would only last you 2.75 hrs. You need wall/central oxygen hook up... or hundreds of cylinders at home

22 minutes ago, landman said:

Why is it assumed hospitals are going to get overwhelmed?  The percentage of those that have been diagnosed and sent to the hospital is infantile.  Unless there's an underlying condition, they are sent home to self quarantine. 

Yeah, it is small because young children usually don't get it too bad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Interestingly a NIV costs less than $2000. That would be a lot cheaper than a hospital stay and would free up the system and prevent needless infections.

yep. someone should introduce a bill that when a federal health emergency(not a national emergency because that usually takes longer and the panic buying has already set in) is issued gouging on certain items can lead to federal prosecution. similar to gas, water, etc.  maybe it already exists but I haven't heard of it. 

Agree they should make an example of this dude. It’s unreal what some people try to profit from.

11 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Clay Travis just posted a pic of Italy deaths by age without sources. Anyone have this information handy? I can't find it anywhere

That fucking moron is going to be directly responsible for a lot of deaths with his constant "not a big deal" tweets that his SEC SEC brain dead followers cheer on.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

A normal sized oxygen cylinder at 2L/min would only last you 2.75 hrs. You need wall/central oxygen hook up... or hundreds of cylinders at home

There are companies that make machines for laboratory purposes that separate water into H2 and O2 to replace gas cylinder use. You could conceivably use those to refill bottles at homes or stations with some adaptors to help achieve high pressures. Doesn’t seem like a great workaround for the masses, but some individuals might could make it work for them. Need the machines, power, and good clean distilled water. 

31 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Because our hospital system runs very lean and near capacity at all times, so it wouldn’t take much of a spike to create such a situation. Especially if most of the patients need help breathing. 

I can not over emphasize this enough.  Two months ago, My wife went in for a routine procedure at one of the better facilities in DC.  She need a day of recovery.  The bed never opened because they were at capacity, so she spent the full time in a temporary post op area.  

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Except for picking up meds at CVS, that is what we are dooing.

However, Mrs. Brat will probably insist on going to Mass tomorrow morning.... unless there is a “dispensation “ declared by the Austin Diocese bishop. He hasn’t done that yet in spite of all the warnings nationwide. Extremely frustrating for me.

Someone needs to step in.  That’s ridiculous.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

They're available on Amazon so I assume no script needed. They're not cheap though

Yup looks like you can get them on Amazon with no Rx as they are for daily health use. Now I have to ask myself how ridiculous it is for me to order one of these. My wife has asthma as do I so we have the albuterol here.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Someone's gotta get them food, meds, change diapers, etc. If you let the general public go about its business, it's going to get to them. Also olds in the context of this disease is like 60+. That's a lot of people would think they fall into the "general public" category.

If you replace the first/last hand sanitizer with a hand wash, don't touch your face at all, and go when it's dead so that there aren't any people within two machines of you it's no worse than the grocery store. That was my gym strategy this week but I think I'm just done with it for the foreseeable future.

This.

If you really want to go to the gym, swimming is probably the safest thing, with all the other caveats mentioned above. I probably wouldn't though. Do some pushups/sit ups/body squats/lunges at home and go for a couple brisk walks.

You set up a home health task force.  Seriously.  It’s going to get to them anyway.  It’s much easier quarantining 1/4 of the population vs everyone.  Of course it won’t be perfect, but much better than this.  

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  The food rationing has begun 

they are out of pasta, pasta sauce, beans, rice, water, toilet paper, many other products during the day that they might as well close at 8 to be able to restock for the next day. they are getting plenty of product trucked in now. they just need the manpower to stock the shelves.

Just now, po elvis said:

they are out of pasta, pasta sauce, beans, rice, water, toilet paper, many other products during the day that they might as well close at 8 to be able to restock for the next day. they are getting plenty of product trucked in now. they just need the manpower to stock the shelves.

I hear you.  But the problem is, there’s not much back stock right now either. 

2 hours ago, Loco said:

So about that...  I have been laughing my ass off at everyone worried about buying disinfectant ...  OMG it's sold out!

meanwhile I went to the pool store yesterday and picked up 7 gallons of liquid chlorine.  Yes it will kill the ever loving shit out of covid-19, 20, 21 etc.

Mix a bucket of water with some pool chlorine (my guy said a cup) and you have a sanitation station.   ezpz

Three packets of the shock and you have a 15,000-30,000 gallon sanitation station for 2-3 days, too.   Those 3" discs would probably work for a couple of tubs' worth each.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, generally speaking, that's probably a more affluent corridor.  More likely to be aware of the issues and able not to work, to stock up on essentials, and stay home.

Yeah I've been down in Plano and what is usually a rush hour madhouse on Friday at 5:30 looked like a Sunday afternoon. I guess the northern DFW suburbs are preparing more. Shit, should have thought about that and driven down to Redbird to go grocery shopping

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

There was a short discussion at some point about ACE inhibitors potentially causing the effects of COVID-19 to be much worse if you were to contract it. The poster had a question into their doc about weaning off them until this subsides — did you get an answer? I’m on an ACE inhibitor for BP. Wondering what you were told so I can follow up with my PCP on Monday.

I have not. I asked as a "non urgent" question. Frankly I dont really expect a straight answer. I expect a "no one really knows."

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I can not over emphasize this enough.  Two months ago, My wife went in for a routine procedure at one of the better facilities in DC.  She need a day of recovery.  The bed never opened because they were at capacity, so she spent the full time in a temporary post op area.  

Similar story with my 75 year old mother.  She's in OKC, which for a city it's size has a lot of hospitals.  She broke her hip a few months ago.  They kept her in the ER because they didn't have a room to transfer her to.

Yeah I've been down in Plano and what is usually a rush hour madhouse on Friday at 5:30 looked like a Sunday afternoon. I guess the northern DFW suburbs are preparing more. Shit, should have thought about that and driven down to Redbird to go grocery shopping

Maybe but spring break was this past week for many ppl

1 minute ago, bluto said:

Maybe but spring break was this past week for many ppl

Yea as somebody who lives in Keller and drives to 121/Tollway area between Plano/Frisco for work (well not now since we all got sent to the work from home yesterday) I can attest that pretty much all week traffic up there has been extraordinarily light morning and evening rush hours.  Maybe some Covid...more likely all the districts in the northern half of both Tarrant and Dallas County as well as Southern half of Collin and Denton County that were out on SB this past week.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away