Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Bad disks in neck and back make running not a great option.  Prefer using a ARC trainer at the gym to help with those issues.  Afraid to life weights or do multiple machines like I usually do.  My other choice is to sit around the house all day and watch TV and eat ice cream.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Nobody is saying we're necessarily going to end up like Italy. People are saying we need to modify our behavior appropriately as soon as possible so we don't end up like Italy. Yes, there are factors that will prevent our spread from being as dangerous as Italy's, but that's no reason not to take it seriously.

Your transition from "this isn't really a big deal here and we are still the model for the rest of the world" to "well we're better off than Italy" in less than 3 days is noted.

Actually, that UCSF document that ChiTown posted and has gotten play elsewhere essentially states that we are a week away from Italy.

Thankfully it didn't say a week away from Milan/Lombardy.

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Your transition from "this isn't really a big deal here and we are still the model for the rest of the world" to "well we're better off than Italy" in less than 3 days is noted.

It's going to be interesting to go back and see how many posters have come to Corona Jesus

Edited by Loco
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain mama
Take me home, country roads

They're just getting around to indoor plumbing.  Testing is going to be a minute

34 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

At some point though if the numbers continue to hold that the real danger of this is to the older population there is going to be the issue of younger people continuing to forgo their right to liberty and the pursuit of happiness to enable older people to pursue their right to life....and how valuable is that right to a 90 year old etc.  It's messy

Shit man 90 year olds? We’re giving up sports for 90 year olds?

Where was the vote for this?

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

What fascinates me is that northern Italians generally are considered more Germanic/Teutonic than their southern Italian countrymen.  Yet its the northerns that are getting pounded into Bolivia.

I guess dago gon dago, north or south.

Also, WHO had Italy rated as the number 2 health system in the world, behind France.

too funny(US is #1 far and away) of course WHO would do that.  Big question is if France is gonna put it on the arc de triomphe?

There was a short discussion at some point about ACE inhibitors potentially causing the effects of COVID-19 to be much worse if you were to contract it. The poster had a question into their doc about weaning off them until this subsides — did you get an answer? I’m on an ACE inhibitor for BP. Wondering what you were told so I can follow up with my PCP on Monday.

55 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If enough people just don’t bother because they are low risk, all the cancellations and changes are pointless.  I guess enough people will take it more seriously AFTER hospitals get overwhelmed. Hope it doesn’t come to that. 

Why is it assumed hospitals are going to get overwhelmed?  The percentage of those that have been diagnosed and sent to the hospital is infantile.  Unless there's an underlying condition, they are sent home to self quarantine. 

If people want to take the chance going out, they have that right. If people dont want to, then dont. I'm not going to stop living.  The typical Friday hour long wait at Matt's was only 15 minutes last night. Very nice. 

• Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

If he's right then it's  inevitable even if there was zero spread going forward as I believe I read average of 9 days from infection (or was it onset?) until hospital admission.

Based on our numbers and our curve and timeline, we mirror Italy almost to a T. 5-10 days is about all we have left until shit really hits the fan

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

There was a short discussion at some point about ACE inhibitors potentially causing the effects of COVID-19 to be much worse if you were to contract it. The poster had a question into their doc about weaning off them until this subsides — did you get an answer? I’m on an ACE inhibitor for BP. Wondering what you were told so I can follow up with my PCP on Monday.

My guess is honestly nobody really knows. RCTs aren’t focusing on stuff like that right now.

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I've been keeping an eye on this for family on Ace inhibitors.  I've followed twitter discussions among cardiologists and still just a hypothesis at this point - nothing definitive.   I'll post in thread if I see any good info.  

17 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Are we a week behind Italy or 2-3 weeks?  Again not saying this isn't the case but this is where because we don't really know shit because we don't test there is so much confusion out there

Tough to decipher. Even if we started a week behind Italy, factors like cheek kiss greetings, % of smokers, population age demographics, overall population density, might all be working in our favor to slow the growth factor here. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Are we a week behind Italy or 2-3 weeks?  Again not saying this isn't the case but this is where because we don't really know shit because we don't test there is so much confusion out there

Comparing our infection rates with Italy, we're around 10 days behind them. Each country collecting data has a super consistent logarithmic chart for the spread of the disease, so it's at least a pretty well-supported guess that we're 10 days behind em. 

Next couple of weeks will be the hockey stick portion of the chart for us, if it spreads the same here as it has everywhere else

7 minutes ago, landman said:

Why is it assumed hospitals are going to get overwhelmed?  The percentage of those that have been diagnosed and sent to the hospital is infantile.  Unless there's an underlying condition, they are sent home to self quarantine. 

If people want to take the chance going out, they have that right. If people dont want to, then dont. I'm not going to stop living.  The typical Friday hour long wait at Matt's was only 15 minutes last night. Very nice. 

Seriously? Are people still not getting this? The percentage diagnosed that have to be hospitalized is like ten to fifteen percent. How is that "infantile?" Again, do this very basic math: if only 10 million (super low ball estimate) get infected, how many hospitalizations do you get? How about 30? 100? Ok, now ask yourself, how many spare hospital beds do we actually have in this country. Hint: not enough even for the super low ball estimate. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

What a cocksucker. Is he hoping a pic of his family garners some sympathy? If you want to avoid the NYT paywall just Google "17,700 sanitizers" ... I hope a local emergency declaration allows his inventory to be confiscated and distributed to hospitals.

Just now, Captainant said:

Comparing our infection rates with Italy, we're around 10 days behind them. Each country collecting data has a super consistent logarithmic chart for the spread of the disease, so it's at least a pretty well-supported guess that we're 10 days behind em. 

Next couple of weeks will be the hockey stick portion of the chart for us, if it spreads the same here as it has everywhere else

That chart can only use data provided. #tested affects the data provided. Have we tested enough to be accurate?

18 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I looked into this some. From what i could gather, use of ACE inhibitors apparently increases the expression of ACE2 (ACE2 is different than ACE). CV apparently binds to target cells through ACE2, which could be why high BP and diabetes are risk factors with CV. 

Edited by B00M

8 minutes ago, landman said:

Because our hospital system runs very lean and near capacity at all times, so it wouldn’t take much of a spike to create such a situation. Especially if most of the patients need help breathing. 

28 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

His new book (out in May) will sell well.

As will Lawrence Wright’s, which is straight up about a pandemic.

When this is all over, I'm going to want to settle down with a nice book about a global pandemic. 

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away