Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

16 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So is going to the gym that bad if you use the hand sanitizer when you enter, hit one cardio machine which you wipe down with cleaning stuff, hand sanitizer again, work out, on your way out hand sanitizer again?  Asking for a friend.

Depends, does the guy running next to you have Corona?

9 hours ago, Constant said:

The drive into work was pretty discouraging. Road traffic was exactly the same. Bar parking lots, restaurants, drive thru lines....all full. Anecdotal, I’m sure, but holy hell people. It should be a ghost town, in theory. 

Thanks.  Please keep reporting what you are seeing.  I was curious how seriously people are taking this.  Was dismayed to see a decent amount of the more popular restaurants don't have reservations available for peak times on opentable.   More available than normal but obviously several places still operating at peak (good for local economy I guess but bad for the spread). 

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Thanks.  Please keep reporting what you are seeing.  I was curious how seriously people are taking this.  Was dismayed to see a decent amount of the more popular restaurants don't have reservations available for peak times on opentable.   More available than normal but obviously several places still operating at peak (good for local economy I guess but bad for the spread). 

I can post updates as people see fit. I mean, I only work one part of Dallas but it’s a look into how the common folk are taking it. First impressions: we are fucked. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I still cant believe this administration hasnt ordered a quarantine yet

weve learned nothing from the rest of the world

We're 1-2 weeks behind on every decision. There will be quarantines ordered in a week, weeks later than we should have. It's this constant delayed reaction that will make it as bad or worse than Italy and Wuhan.

10 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Jesus christ people. Its been rapidly established that fomites (ie surfaces and intermediaries) are the main way this thing spreads

avoid anything but your house if u can. I swear to god our population is fucking retarded

Colleges shut down:  the college kids immediately pack the bars.

Public schools shut down:  the kids pack together to hangout, play basketball, etc.

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I've said for a long time...the olds should all be quarantined.  Seriously.  It's much easier and makes much more sense than quarantining the rest of the public.  Also those with preexisting conditions.  Isolate yourselves like your life depends on it.  Because, yeah. 

Except for picking up meds at CVS, that is what we are dooing.

However, Mrs. Brat will probably insist on going to Mass tomorrow morning.... unless there is a “dispensation “ declared by the Austin Diocese bishop. He hasn’t done that yet in spite of all the warnings nationwide. Extremely frustrating for me.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Bad disks in neck and back make running not a great option.  Prefer using a ARC trainer at the gym to help with those issues.  Afraid to life weights or do multiple machines like I usually do.  My other choice is to sit around the house all day and watch TV and eat ice cream.

You said you were asking for a friend.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNZ3vPSveLtTpjiPIBURB

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Bad disks in neck and back make running not a great option.  Prefer using a ARC trainer at the gym to help with those issues.  Afraid to life weights or do multiple machines like I usually do.  My other choice is to sit around the house all day and watch TV and eat ice cream.

You can also eat pizza.

Just now, Shaggybevo said:

Public schools shut down:  the kids pack together to hangout, play basketball, etc.

Yep.  One of my co-workers has a daughter who attends a private high school in Dallas.  The school closed Friday "out of an abundance of caution to help reduce the spread of CoVID-19" ahead of spring break next week. How did a bunch of the high schoolers spend their Friday?  At NorthPark Mall. All day.

Jesus christ people. Its been rapidly established that fomites (ie surfaces and intermediaries) are the main way this thing spreads

avoid anything but your house if u can. I swear to god our population is fucking retarded

Here is what the CDC says about COVID-19 modes of transmission:

The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.

Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.

It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/transmission.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fabout%2Ftransmission.html

So yes, wash your hands and avoid touching surfaces. But even more importantly, avoid the risk of inhaling droplets that are in the air. Social distancing should reduce transmission either way, though.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I've said for a long time...the olds should all be quarantined.  Seriously.  It's much easier and makes much more sense than quarantining the rest of the public.  Also those with preexisting conditions.  Isolate yourselves like your life depends on it.  Because, yeah. 

It's a shame that you aren't running the response to this.  Quarantining the most vulnerable while allowing everyone else to pretty much go about their lives would protect the health care system, reduce the impact on the economy, and allow time to develop herd immunity, effective treatments, and a vaccine/vaccines.  

And thanks.  My wife (no, dammit, no pics) is over 60, and I have two of the elevated risk factors.  I'm going to see if I can get set up to work from home, and see what we can do about her work.  It's going to be tough, because this part of the world is populated with a lot of "it's just the flu" types.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I was looking at Florida's case count on the BNO site-68 cases and 2 deaths. Compared to Washington state (568/37) which is further along in spread, I hope Florida has their plan together. Wait, what am I saying? Is this where climate may become a factor in reducing the risk or has that been disproven?

narrator:  they don't

Broward leading the charge...  the whole state government here has been on team #denytillyoudie  Tourism is king

So these Spring Breakers should be returning home soon right?  Tons of kids still coming here and I heard some kids in the beer isle talking about staying longer since school is cancelled. Party on Garth!

Here is a subset of new cases just reported this am...

• A 20-year-old woman in Broward County has tested positive for COVID-19. This individual is isolated and will continue to remain isolated until cleared by public health officials. This is a travel related case and is associated with travel to Europe.
  • A 20-year-old woman in Broward County has tested positive for COVID-19. This individual is isolated and will continue to remain isolated until cleared by public health officials. This is a travel-related case and is associated with travel to Europe.
  • A 19-year-old woman in Broward has tested positive for COVID-19. This individual is isolated and will continue to remain isolated until cleared by public health officials. This is a travel-related case and is associated with travel to Europe
  • A 22-year-old woman in Broward County has tested positive for COVID-19. This individual is isolated and will continue to remain isolated until cleared by public health officials. It is currently unclear whether this was a travel-related case; the epidemiological investigation is ongoing.
  • A 19-year-old man in Broward County has tested positive for COVID-19. This individual is isolated and will continue to remain isolated until cleared by public health officials.

And they are only testing people that meet a VERY tight set of requirements.   You're welcome!

I avoided Costco yesterday and just hit my local Cub (think Kroger's of the Midwest, no HEBs here) and it was like a nursing home had just let out.  I'm 50 and I brought the average age in the place way down.  I think I saw armybrat's dad.

These people are fucked if they're out and about in this shit.

5 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

It's a shame that you aren't running the response to this.  Quarantining the most vulnerable while allowing everyone else to pretty much go about their lives would protect the health care system, reduce the impact on the economy, and allow time to develop herd immunity, effective treatments, and a vaccine/vaccines.  

And thanks.  My wife (no, dammit, no pics) is over 60, and I have two of the elevated risk factors.  I'm going to see if I can get set up to work from home, and see what we can do about her work.  It's going to be tough, because this part of the world is populated with a lot of "it's just the flu" types.

I was thinking about this.  Maybe from a macro 'herd immunity' perspective,  it's not a bad thing if all the college kids continue going to bars, etc. and spread among themselves as long as they stay away from their grandparents.   

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Is the gym close by so you could check out if it's busy? Do you have access to a pool--maybe swimming is an option? (I don't know how that works with respect to the virus, but pools have monitored chemical levels, correct?)

So about that...  I have been laughing my ass off at everyone worried about buying disinfectant ...  OMG it's sold out!

meanwhile I went to the pool store yesterday and picked up 7 gallons of liquid chlorine.  Yes it will kill the ever loving shit out of covid-19, 20, 21 etc.

Mix a bucket of water with some pool chlorine (my guy said a cup) and you have a sanitation station.   ezpz

This may be heretical, but I was starting to be concerned that people were locking down too early. You can only stay home for so long before people start to run out of money and starve and commit crimes and such. Point being that you can go on lockdown too early, and then when you're forced to abandon the TTP's that kept the virus at bay, you just have another outbreak and people just live with it since they don't want to starve to death or go bankrupt.

The ultimate answer is herd immunity, obviously.

So about that...  I have been laughing my ass off at everyone worried about buying disinfectant ...  OMG it's sold out!
meanwhile I went to the pool store yesterday and picked up 7 gallons of liquid chlorine.  Yes it will kill the ever loving shit out of covid-19, 20, 21 etc.
Mix a bucket of water with some pool chlorine (my guy said a cup) and you have a sanitation station.   ezpz

e914b3d747430c05369baf03ad6d8ce3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I was thinking about this.  Maybe from a macro 'herd immunity' perspective,  it's not a bad thing if all the college kids continue going to bars, etc. and spread among themselves as long as they stay away from their grandparents.   

People in their 20s are in grave situations from this in Seattle albeit at a lower rate than people over 40. This is some seriously nasty shit that should be taken seriously by everyone 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

This may be heretical, but I was starting to be concerned that people were locking down too early. You can only stay home for so long before people start to run out of money and starve and commit crimes and such. Point being that you can go on lockdown too early, and then when you're forced to abandon the TTP's that kept the virus at bay, you just have another outbreak and people just live with it since they don't want to starve to death or go bankrupt.

The ultimate answer is herd immunity, obviously.

1) You need to move to a better neighborhood

2) Yeah all the epidemiologists suggest waiting till the last moment to act, oh wait that's completely wrong

3) Herd immunity?  Tha fuck?  This is a virus literally NO ONE has had exposure to or immunity from

People are f-ing stupid. Local school got out yesterday for Spring Break and most people still left for their trips. I talked to 3 doctor clients in the last couple days and they were going to Chicago, NY, and Miami for the break. They all said they were getting it either way so it was business as usual for them.

We either need to say f it and everyone go kiss each other so we can all get it and get over it or restrict movement between places. Our school board is already discussing closing for the rest of the month or telling everyone that travelled to not come back for 2 weeks. It doesn’t do much good though with everyone being stupid. 

4 minutes ago, Brew said:

We either need to say f it and everyone go kiss each other so we can all get it and get over it or restrict movement between places. Our school board is already discussing closing for the rest of the month or telling everyone that travelled to not come back for 2 weeks. It doesn’t do much good though with everyone being stupid. 

The messaging has been muddled from the outset. People reasonably think that it's just a flu and we can weather a week or two and it'll go away. See: this thread and the terrible decision making by the public at large. 

It shouldn't be political to point out that people are just following the lead of our leaders in how seriously to treat the pandemic. But if you say anything less than perfect support for everything as it happens, you get a mob of people mad at you for disagreeing with their reality

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 4

38 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

However, Mrs. Brat will probably insist on going to Mass tomorrow morning.... unless there is a “dispensation “ declared by the Austin Diocese bishop. He hasn’t done that yet in spite of all the warnings nationwide. Extremely frustrating for me.

You already survived the Spanish Flu, the Black Death, and the Plague of Justinian.  This coronavirus shit should be a cakewalk.  

Masturbation gets your heart rate up

53 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Has it? CDC guidance says contact with contaminated surfaces is "not thought to be the main way the virus spreads." I've also read elsewhere that close contact with infected people, be it physical contact or coming close enough to catch it through the air.

Not that any of that is gospel or anything, so if you've got a source(s) that'd be appreciated. And your main point stands - regardless of how it spreads, the less time you spend out in public with others, the better.

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So is going to the gym that bad if you use the hand sanitizer when you enter, hit one cardio machine which you wipe down with cleaning stuff, hand sanitizer again, work out, on your way out hand sanitizer again?  Asking for a friend.

So I’ve actually been going to the gym all week, but I have a system that I’m hopeful is working. 

- check my health before I go meaning if I have anywhere close to a fever or feel off in anyway, I don’t go.  

- I’ve changed the time when I go. I’ve either gone ass early (4am) or very late (9 or 10pm) so that I’m there with the least amount of people possible.  I went to HEB yesterday at 9:30am and wanted to check out the gym parking lot just to see what it was like.  It was packed as if it was Saturday morning or a Monday at 5pm.  

- I wash my hands before I start my workout, after every exercise completed, and immediately after ending my workout.  For example, last night was back, biceps, and traps meaning 11 exercises all total in my routine.  I sure as fuck washed my hands damn near 15 times in that 2 hour span. 

- I wipe down everything before I handle it.  Crazy part, the gym is FULL of hand sanitizing wipes.  I mean, full off it.  So I’ll wipe down benches, handles, plates, even parts of the machine I know my body won’t even touch. 

- I used those same wipes to wipe down my water bottle and phone periodically. 

So while I probably shouldn’t really be going because I don’t trust those fucks at my gym, I’m doing everything I can when I get there.  However, I do realize that it feels like I’m quickly coming upon a time where i have to tell myself that I can no longer keep going.  

6 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Just buy them a PS4/Xbox 1/switch or of they have them then buy them a shit load of new games. Instant 2 week babysitter

I ordered myself a new Xbox last night.  I decided there were going to be sports on my TV even if I had to make them myself.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Loco said:

3) Herd immunity?  Tha fuck?  This is a virus literally NO ONE has had exposure to or immunity from

Fify.

Anyway, I actually kinda like these two options:

1) lock down anyone over 60 and drop supplies for them while having the rest of society take moderate precautions (e.g., hygiene and self-isolation if sick). I also think Singapore's system of having everyone take their temperature at public points throughout the day makes sense. Or, maybe just have everyone take their temperature at night and in the morning. You could even have self-reporting to a government databases OR take advantage of the IOT with devices that report it for you. 

2) 3 week to 1 month shutdown of everything but grocery stores and pharmacies. The goal here being to completely isolate the virus and eliminate from has many communities as possible (follow it up with proper testing and isolation until vaccine/treatment is developed). And then we turn this to a positive going forward and have a national vacation/shutdown every single year. May even have a beneficial effect on family dynamics, and work-life balance for us. And, if you made the period sometime during flu season, it would also reduce flu season severity. This would obviously need changes to our employment system and safety nets.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Friend who lives in Midtown texted me last night that nearly every bar was full full full like it was a typical Friday night.  

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Fify.

Anyway, I actually kinda like these two options:

1) lock down anyone over 60 and drop supplies for them while having the rest of society take moderate precautions (e.g., hygiene and self-isolation if sick). I also think Singapore's system of having everyone take their temperature at public points throughout the day makes sense. Or, maybe just have everyone take their temperature at night and in the morning. You could even have self-reporting to a government databases OR take advantage of the IOT with devices that report it for you. 

2) 3 week to 1 month shutdown of everything but grocery stores and pharmacies. The goal here being to completely isolate the virus and eliminate from has many communities as possible (follow it up with proper testing and isolation until vaccine/treatment is developed). And then we turn this to a positive going forward and have a national vacation/shutdown every single year. May even have a beneficial effect on family dynamics, and work-life balance for us. And, if you made the period sometime during flu season, it would also reduce flu season severity. This would obviously need changes to our employment system and safety nets.  

Let me know when herd immunity wipes out the common cold ...

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus-resource-center

Can a person who has had coronavirus get infected again?

While we don't know the answer yet, most people would likely develop at least short-term immunity to the specific coronavirus that causes COVID-19. However, you would still be susceptible to a different coronavirus infection. Or, this particular virus could mutate, just like the influenza virus does each year. Often these mutations change the virus enough to make you susceptible, because your immune system thinks it is an infection that it has never seen before.

44 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Someone's gotta get them food, meds, change diapers, etc. If you let the general public go about its business, it's going to get to them. Also olds in the context of this disease is like 60+. That's a lot of people would think they fall into the "general public" category.

If you replace the first/last hand sanitizer with a hand wash, don't touch your face at all, and go when it's dead so that there aren't any people within two machines of you it's no worse than the grocery store. That was my gym strategy this week but I think I'm just done with it for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, Hawndoh said:

If all you're going to do is a cardio machine why not just jog around your block a few times and not risk it?

This.

If you really want to go to the gym, swimming is probably the safest thing, with all the other caveats mentioned above. I probably wouldn't though. Do some pushups/sit ups/body squats/lunges at home and go for a couple brisk walks.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away