Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Jesus christ people. Its been rapidly established that fomites (ie surfaces and intermediaries) are the main way this thing spreads

avoid anything but your house if u can. I swear to god our population is fucking retarded

Would you stop leaking vaginal fluid all over this thread.....

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Loco said:

Let me know when herd immunity wipes out the common cold ...

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus-resource-center

Can a person who has had coronavirus get infected again?

While we don't know the answer yet, most people would likely develop at least short-term immunity to the specific coronavirus that causes COVID-19. However, you would still be susceptible to a different coronavirus infection. Or, this particular virus could mutate, just like the influenza virus does each year. Often these mutations change the virus enough to make you susceptible, because your immune system thinks it is an infection that it has never seen before.

When viruses mutate (or really any disease), it is usually to something less lethal. Mutation would prevent immunity from coming into play completely, but there is a very good chance it would also result in a less deadly disease, something more akin to the standard flu/cold that we all know. Also, influenza is more adept at mutations than most viruses. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Friend who lives in Midtown texted me last night that nearly every bar was full full full like it was a typical Friday night.  

If enough people just don’t bother because they are low risk, all the cancellations and changes are pointless.  I guess enough people will take it more seriously AFTER hospitals get overwhelmed. Hope it doesn’t come to that. 

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

So I’ve actually been going to the gym all week, but I have a system that I’m hopeful is working. 

- check my health before I go meaning if I have anywhere close to a fever or feel off in anyway, I don’t go.  

- I’ve changed the time when I go. I’ve either gone ass early (4am) or very late (9 or 10pm) so that I’m there with the least amount of people possible.  I went to HEB yesterday at 9:30am and wanted to check out the gym parking lot just to see what it was like.  It was packed as if it was Saturday morning or a Monday at 5pm.  

- I wash my hands before I start my workout, after every exercise completed, and immediately after ending my workout.  For example, last night was back, biceps, and traps meaning 11 exercises all total in my routine.  I sure as fuck washed my hands damn near 15 times in that 2 hour span. 

- I wipe down everything before I handle it.  Crazy part, the gym is FULL of hand sanitizing wipes.  I mean, full off it.  So I’ll wipe down benches, handles, plates, even parts of the machine I know my body won’t even touch. 

- I used those same wipes to wipe down my water bottle and phone periodically. 

So while I probably shouldn’t really be going because I don’t trust those fucks at my gym, I’m doing everything I can when I get there.  However, I do realize that it feels like I’m quickly coming upon a time where i have to tell myself that I can no longer keep going.  

Yeah this has pretty much been me. Going at lunch time with no one around. Just getting to the point where taking that kind of risk is hard to justify now. My mom is old and frail as hell so I'm really trying to curtail my exposure. I'd probably keep going for another week or so if it wasn't for her.

This thread is getting hard to follow. Should we just have a COVID-19 subforum where people can create multiple threads for individual topics? I know there’s already a handful of threads across the existing boards.
No! That is not the Surly/Shaggy way! If anything we need to get rid of all the different forums and their multiple threads and just have one thread about everything.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Fify.

Anyway, I actually kinda like these two options:

1) lock down anyone over 60 and drop supplies for them while having the rest of society take moderate precautions (e.g., hygiene and self-isolation if sick). I also think Singapore's system of having everyone take their temperature at public points throughout the day makes sense. Or, maybe just have everyone take their temperature at night and in the morning. You could even have self-reporting to a government databases OR take advantage of the IOT with devices that report it for you. 

2) 3 week to 1 month shutdown of everything but grocery stores and pharmacies. The goal here being to completely isolate the virus and eliminate from has many communities as possible (follow it up with proper testing and isolation until vaccine/treatment is developed). And then we turn this to a positive going forward and have a national vacation/shutdown every single year. May even have a beneficial effect on family dynamics, and work-life balance for us. And, if you made the period sometime during flu season, it would also reduce flu season severity. This would obviously need changes to our employment system and safety nets.  

cool...

where exactly in the entire world is this bullshit working besides your head? 

So about that...  I have been laughing my ass off at everyone worried about buying disinfectant ...  OMG it's sold out!
meanwhile I went to the pool store yesterday and picked up 7 gallons of liquid chlorine.  Yes it will kill the ever loving shit out of covid-19, 20, 21 etc.
Mix a bucket of water with some pool chlorine (my guy said a cup) and you have a sanitation station.   ezpz
Growing up, I had a Lebanese friend whose house always smelled like chlorine. Shit would burn your eyes just walking in. This explains a lot.

1 minute ago, Bevo Num1 said:
1 hour ago, Loco said:
So about that...  I have been laughing my ass off at everyone worried about buying disinfectant ...  OMG it's sold out!
meanwhile I went to the pool store yesterday and picked up 7 gallons of liquid chlorine.  Yes it will kill the ever loving shit out of covid-19, 20, 21 etc.
Mix a bucket of water with some pool chlorine (my guy said a cup) and you have a sanitation station.   ezpz

Growing up, I had a Lebanese friend whose house always smelled like chlorine. Shit would burn your eyes just walking in. This explains a lot.

for the record I am not a woman, but I do like women

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

It's a shame that you aren't running the response to this.  Quarantining the most vulnerable while allowing everyone else to pretty much go about their lives would protect the health care system, reduce the impact on the economy, and allow time to develop herd immunity, effective treatments, and a vaccine/vaccines.  

And thanks.  My wife (no, dammit, no pics) is over 60, and I have two of the elevated risk factors.  I'm going to see if I can get set up to work from home, and see what we can do about her work.  It's going to be tough, because this part of the world is populated with a lot of "it's just the flu" types.

100% agree with this.  Of course then remember the people who make all the decisions are the generation who would go on lock down and they would be locking down the people who put them in office.    

At some point though if the numbers continue to hold that the real danger of this is to the older population there is going to be the issue of younger people continuing to forgo their right to liberty and the pursuit of happiness to enable older people to pursue their right to life....and how valuable is that right to a 90 year old etc.  It's messy

1 minute ago, Moby Ric said:

I am siting here thinking about what to make for dinner and then it hit me that the fucking retards probably cleaned out the HEB of any decent meat. 

The thing about the panic buying is that 80% of those idiots are just buying up groceries with no plans to change their daily routine.  It’s one thing if people stock up and then use those supplies to stay away from stores and restaurants for a while (which is the whole point of stockpiling food in this case).  But these idiots won’t do the latter.  They converged on the Costcos because everyone else was doing it and they panicked.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Thanks.  Please keep reporting what you are seeing.  I was curious how seriously people are taking this.  Was dismayed to see a decent amount of the more popular restaurants don't have reservations available for peak times on opentable.   More available than normal but obviously several places still operating at peak (good for local economy I guess but bad for the spread). 

This is going to happen when the govt isn't actively testing so the numbers look like this:

Dallas County: 3 cases

Colin county: 3 cases

Tarrant county: 2 cases

The vast majority of people aren't critically thinking and know the reason the numbers are low is because the tests aren't available. They see those numbers and think 1) it's a hoax. Or 2) it hasn't gotten here yet so I'll go out and have fun now while I can. 

The lack of preparing adequate testing from the get go is such a massive disadvantage that will probably make this worse down the road than it had to be. Most people won't stop and isolate until scared into it or everything is shut down and they can't go anywhere. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The thing about the panic buying is that 80% of those idiots are just buying up groceries with no plans to change their daily routine.  It’s one thing if people stock up and then use those supplies to stay away from stores and restaurants for a while (which is the whole point of stockpiling food in this case).  But these idiots won’t do the latter.  They converged on the Costcos because everyone else was doing it and they panicked.

That I think is my source of irritation.  Most of that food will probably go bad and be wasted.  While I am sitting here wanting to go buy some  flank steak and make fajitas tonight.  But no, some asshole has bought it all up and it will sit in his freezer for 6 months and then he will forget about it and throw it out.

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Exact same reason everyone in Lubbock (and the rest of the state outside of SE Texas) was buying out the gasoline during Harvey two years ago. One stupid MF'er started panicking and next thing you know everyone else is doing the same thing.

There were no production shortages and no one driving more than usual, they just started buying it out because everyone else was doing it too and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Everyone's worried that the stations are out of gasoline because they're buying it all as soon as it is delivered.  

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

Hmm that might be a more traveled corridor. I'm up by 635 between 75 and the toll way and there straight up hasn't been a rush hour for the last few days. 

Well, generally speaking, that's probably a more affluent corridor.  More likely to be aware of the issues and able not to work, to stock up on essentials, and stay home.

6 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

For all the shit you guys give the Sooners, they seem to be immune, according to that map. 

Pretty sure West Virginia has won the national championship.  It was down to them and Idaho yesterday and I think Idaho got taken off the board last night.

• Fuck You 1

It seems the consensus has gone from it's not a big deal at all, to now it's a big deal but only for old people.

I don't know, but that seems like cause for concern.  The "mild" form many non-elderly will contract is still nothing to sneeze at, and may cause long term health issues after recovery. 

Even if it doesn't result in death, isn't a week or two long hospital stay pretty catastrophic?  I realize that's not most, but isn't it still bad if it's 10%?

I am very aware most cases in otherwise healthy, non-elderly people can recover at home, and will end up with no long-term issues.

But what percentage will still be serious?  What percentage will never fully recover?  What percentage will in fact die?  There is data showing the death rate is substantially higher in every age group except children.  Sure, it's a small percentage, but what if half the country's infected?

There is data which shows even healthy 30 somethings can be seriously impacted.  There is data showing it is much more serious than the flu in 30-40 year olds.

Should we continue blowing off millions of prime working years, child-rearing age adults catching this virus?

I do not believe so.  While it is worst for those 60+, it is a mistake to downplay it's effects on the rest of the adult population in my opinion.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Also something that has been amusing so far.  Italy and Germany and their respective numbers.  It's almost as if stereotypes ya know....exist for a reason.  One country is seeing case count go up but seems to generally be handling so far with their long noted efficiency.  Their sisters over the mountains to the south are being the typical shit show that they are.  

Could change...probably won't.  History beat goes on.

Also, one thing to consider before listening to the "we are going to end up just like Italy" crowd.  Up until a decade or so ago Italy allowed smoking in their ICU units.  Which means they pretty much allowed smoking anywhere else in the country.  This is a respiratory illness and given the cultural norms of the recent past it shouldn't be surprising that the virus is hitting them hard.   A significantly less percentage of this country has been using two ashtrays to breathe with most of their lives.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Somnio said:

It seems the consensus has gone from it's not a big deal at all, to now it's a big deal but only for old people.

I don't know, but that seems like cause for concern.  The "mild" form many non-elderly will contract is still nothing to sneeze at, and may cause long term health issues after recovery. 

Even if it doesn't result in death, isn't a week or two long hospital stay pretty catastrophic?  I realize that's not most, but isn't it still bad if it's 10%?

I am very aware most cases in otherwise healthy, non-elderly people can recover at home, and will end up with no long-term issues.

But what percentage will still be serious?  What percentage will never fully recover?  What percentage will in fact die?  There is data showing the death rate is substantially higher in every age group except children.  Sure, it's a small percentage, but what if half the country's infected?

There is data which shows even healthy 30 somethings can be seriously impacted.  There is data showing it is much more serious than the flu in 30-40 year olds.

Should we continue blowing off millions of prime working years, child-rearing age adults catching this virus?

I do not believe so.  While it is worst for those 60+, it is a mistake to downplay it's effects on the rest of the adult population in my opinion.

Everyone should take this seriously.  If you're young and you actually get sick from this there could potentially be long term health effects from damage to the lungs.

3 minutes ago, Somnio said:

There is no data for anything because nobody has a real good clue of how many people have truly had it.  THAT is the main problem and why the testing shit show and giving up on it around the world is such a bad decision.  Data and knowledge is power and we and most other nations have gone to the "welp fuck it" approach to getting our arms around that power in a quick manner. 

Edit and that is NOT to say that there may not be data that yes as a young person you can be harmed but this (there obviously is) BUT there is A SHIT TON of things that as a young person can hurt you illness/activity/etc wise and the difference there is that you have a good sense of the risk and you choose whether or not to take it.  

Put it this way if people didn't do things that may pose a risk to them people wouldn't do a whole fucking lot past MAYBE getting out of bed in the morning.  The difference here is you can't make a good judgment call on the potential risk to you as a 30 year old like you can about say driving to work.

Edited by Surly Bevo

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

Also, one thing to consider before listening to the "we are going to end up just like Italy" crowd.  Up until a decade or so ago Italy allowed smoking in their ICU units.  Which means they pretty much allowed smoking anywhere else in the country.  This is a respiratory illness and given the cultural norms of the recent past it shouldn't be surprising that the virus is hitting them hard.   A significantly less percentage of this country has been using two ashtrays to breathe with most of their lives.

Nobody is saying we're necessarily going to end up like Italy. People are saying we need to modify our behavior appropriately as soon as possible so we don't end up like Italy. Yes, there are factors that will prevent our spread from being as dangerous as Italy's, but that's no reason not to take it seriously.

Your transition from "this isn't really a big deal here and we are still the model for the rest of the world" to "well we're better off than Italy" in less than 3 days is noted.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Also something that has been amusing so far.  Italy and Germany and their respective numbers.  It's almost as if stereotypes ya know....exist for a reason.  One country is seeing case count go up but seems to generally be handling so far with their long noted efficiency.  Their sisters over the mountains to the south are being the typical shit show that they are.  

Could change...probably won't.  History beat goes on.

What fascinates me is that northern Italians generally are considered more Germanic/Teutonic than their southern Italian countrymen.  Yet its the northerns that are getting pounded into Bolivia.

I guess dago gon dago, north or south.

Also, WHO had Italy rated as the number 2 health system in the world, behind France.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away