Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Hays County. SIAP

https://smcorridornews.com/breaking-hays-county-announces-first-coronavirus-case/

Edit:

The patient was admitted to a local hospital and is currently recovering there. At no time did they expose any Hays County residents to this disease.

I'm not sure how you can make this claim with asymptomatic transmission.
They developed the symptoms while traveling and went to the hospital as soon as they got back into town.

So, Will grocery stores be back to normal soon? I mean I can see how hand sanitize and clorox wipes might be awhile. But meat and produce should be normal in a couple of days right?

I was at my grocery store earlier today and all meats were pretty much stocked. TP too. But I live in one of the chillest parts of the country which does no good to you probably 1200 miles away
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Ace inhibitors cause cells to increase the number of receptors on the cell surface. These receptors are the same ones that COVID-19 uses to enter the cell.

Sure people could get off ACE inhibitors but the receptors on the cell surface wouldn't immediately disappear.

I took my first dose a week ago Thursday.  

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Well hallelujah! The Bishop of the Austin Diocese has issued a dispensation for Catholics from attending their Mass obligation.... Mrs. Brat said she will stay home and watch it on TV..

I shall probably live long enough to consume the six DQ M&M Blizzards I have hoarded in the freezer (see prepper thread). :)

You realize that there won’t be any medical facilities available to put stints in your heart or remove your diabetic foot?

• Like 1

Well hallelujah! The Bishop of the Austin Diocese has issued a dispensation for Catholics from attending their Mass obligation.... Mrs. Brat said she will stay home and watch it on TV..
I shall probably live long enough to consume the six DQ M&M Blizzards I have hoarded in the freezer (see prepper thread).

Nice! Good to have you around for a few more days at least

4 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Flower Mound has joined in the craziness. Kroger mostly out of Milk, bread, and meats. Same with Market Street. 

Probably been suggested, but many recommend Asian supermarkets. Not sure how the Old Denton/Bush Tollway stores are looking

57 minutes ago, Deej said:

You could always take her body past the pet sematary, over the dead fall, and up to the old Micmac burial ground.

A dead body was discovered yesterday on the conveyor belt at the Austin recycling facility, so that appears to be another option.

I normally don't use foul language, but fuck these guys:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html

Dudes drove around Tennessee and Kentucky early in the crisis, hitting up every place they could find and buying all of the hand sanitizer and wipes they had.  Now they have 17,700 bottles of hand sanitizer in their garage and self-storage, hoping to sell it on Amazon for multiples of what they bought it for.

“It’s been a huge amount of whiplash,” he said. “From being in a situation where what I’ve got coming and going could potentially put my family in a really good place financially to ‘What the heck am I going to do with all of this?’”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html
Dudes drove around Tennessee and Kentucky early in the crisis, hitting up every place they could find and buying all of the hand sanitizer and wipes they had.  Now they have 17,700 bottles of hand sanitizer in their garage and self-storage, hoping to sell it on Amazon for multiples of what they bought it for.
“It’s been a huge amount of whiplash,” he said. “From being in a situation where what I’ve got coming and going could potentially put my family in a really good place financially to ‘What the heck am I going to do with all of this?’”

Yea smart move getting your name, location and stash on the internet. Especially something small like The NY Times. He’ll be robbed and empty by tonight

5 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Couldn't he just sell it for like a $1 more and still come away pretty good?

4 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Couldn't he just sell it for like a $1 more and still come away pretty good?

His shipping is about $10, plus he has to take orders and individually mail them to people.

So .... he went into a store where the cost of producing, delivering and staging these items was completely paid for, took everything they had Grinch-style, and built his horde.

Now, he either has to give it away or sell to a local population, or increase the cost of delivery 10x by sending small packages all across the country.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

The state should confiscate it, pay FMV (ie retail price), distribute it to hospitals and others, and smack those fuckers upside the head with a nightstick.  

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

The state should confiscate it, pay FMV (ie retail price), distribute it to hospitals and others, and smack those fuckers upside the head with a nightstick.  

Depending on local law, maybe they could pay him market value and then fine him coincidentally the exact same amount for price gouging. 

Dammit too slow

Edited by Huckleberry

20 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I laughed thinking of Joe Q Public strolling into an Asian market. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Asian markets is what kicked this whole thing off!!!

I laughed.  Also the Chinese sanitizing entire cities...you've seen the youtube videos...aimlessly blasting antiseptic into the atmosphere, all the while prepping to reopen the wet markets.  This isn't fucking racist, that shit needs to be outlawed.  There were entire lectures on this shit in med school.  

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I laughed.  Also the Chinese sanitizing entire cities...you've seen the youtube videos...aimlessly blasting antiseptic into the atmosphere, all the while prepping to reopen the wet markets.  This isn't fucking racist, that shit needs to be outlawed.  There were entire lectures on this shit in med school.  

I wonder how Mother Earth responds to the mass sanitation taking place over there?

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I was approached to buy a million dollars worth of N95 masks with our group.  I was like is this some sort of charity drive, because several groups are banding together to stock the make shift triage centers we'll soon have up...nope - "we have buyers for double the price - here's a deck".  I'm like GTFO and never call us again.  This shit is going on and it's a large scale operation.  Fucking people...the worst. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

There are companies that make machines for laboratory purposes that separate water into H2 and O2 to replace gas cylinder use. You could conceivably use those to refill bottles at homes or stations with some adaptors to help achieve high pressures. Doesn’t seem like a great workaround for the masses, but some individuals might could make it work for them. Need the machines, power, and good clean distilled water. 

We had one of these on the submarine for use when we weren't going to surface for a while. We refered to it as "The Bomb"

One spark in the wrong place near the pure H2 and pure O2 it produced was bad juju.

We typically only ran it to perform maintenance and make sure it worked. We would do anything we could to not have to run it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

So, Will grocery stores be back to normal soon? I mean I can see how hand sanitize and clorox wipes might be awhile. But meat and produce should be normal in a couple of days right?

Define “soon.”

I’ll post more on this later in this thread and the market thread.

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I wonder how Mother Earth responds to the mass sanitation taking place over there?

I mean who the fuck knows what they're spraying.  I'm assuming not well.  Seems like a safe assumption. 

Not to go CR but I love how we pressure poor countries but the fucking Saudis and Chinese do whatever the fuck they want.  Every administration fucks this up.  Embarrassing.  But more dangerous than embarrassing. 

2 minutes ago, blacklab said:

We had one of these on the submarine for use when we weren't going to surface for a while. We refered to it as "The Bomb"

One spark in the wrong place near the pure H2 and pure O2 it produced was bad juju.

We typically only ran it to perform maintenance and make sure it worked. We would do anything we could to not have to run it.

Yea a bunch of olds making their own mini versions of the Space Shuttle's external fuel tank.....what could possibly go wrong.

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Wife is blonde with green eyes and speaks great mandarin.  She also has nice headlamps...no pics assholes.  Anyways, seeing their eyes when she does this shit is a whole other level.  If I ever need to grovel for money I'll post those vids on YouTube. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Johns Hopkins gonna have to rescale the size of their red bubbles. 

It will soon be easier to have the bubbles represent where we don't have extensive spread/cases.  Seriously.  And that's fine...keep the curve flat.  The more cases we see while keeping hospitals open with capacity is actually good.  

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

They did outlaw them again.  VOX had a really good video explainer that has been posted here at least twice.  (included below)

tl/dr the Wildlife industry is a tiny% of China's GDP but they have a very strong lobby.  Only the very wealthy are eating these animals, not the general public.  But those very wealthy folks are very influential and got the markets reopened after the closures after SARS but prior to this outbreak.  The markets have been closed again and it seems like this time there is a lot of public anger in China about those markets and they want them closed for good.  Here's hoping they do.

Also need the wet markets in Africa and South America closed too.

Also Asian Grocery stores in the US are awesome field trips.  Who knew there were so many types of rice noodles?  Ai ya!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Loco said:

They did outlaw them again.  VOX had a really good video explainer that has been posted here at least twice.  (included below)

tl/dr the Wildlife industry is a tiny% of China's GDP but they have a very strong lobby.  Only the very wealthy are eating these animals, not the general public.  But those very wealthy folks are very influential and got the markets reopened after the closures after SARS but prior to this outbreak.  The markets have been closed again and it seems like this time there is a lot of public anger in China about those markets and they want them closed for good.  Here's hoping they do.

Also need the wet markets in Africa and South America closed too.

Also Asian Grocery stores in the US are awesome field trips.  Who knew there were so many types of rice noodles?  Ai ya!

Always learning things here...that's kind of scary.  But thanks, good to know. 

5 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Jesus christ people. Its been rapidly established that fomites (ie surfaces and intermediaries) are the main way this thing spreads

avoid anything but your house if u can. I swear to god our population is fucking retarded

The first year tamu grads outnumbered UT grads was the beginning of the end.   

Peter Attia has a new podcast up I listened to today during my kid's nap time that I recommend for those interesting getting in the weeds (Guest is MD from Texas (Vaccine scientest),  Peter Hotez: https://www.bcm.edu/people/view/peter-hotez-m-d-ph-d/b1846a47-ffed-11e2-be68-080027880ca6 ) .  Recorded Friday night. Probably would need another listen to get everything but some highlights:

1.  Potential for using antibodies from recovered people.  1 recovered would only potentially treat a severe case on a 1 to 1 basis but could use small doses to help prevent healthcare workers and front line workers from contracting Covid (1 recovered could treat dozens).  This isn't a new 'trick".  Has been used successfully with other diseases before.  Thinks it makes sense to try to ramp up to see if helpful while waiting on potential new drugs.

2.  Redemsivir (Ebola Drug) being tried currently as treatment.  Not enough data yet to know how effective.

3.  Disagrees with assertions China not providing access or relevant data.  Doctors/scientist definitely sharing what they know.  Overall frustrated with vaccine progress.

4.  Ace 2 Receptor (per discussion in thread above).  Hard to follow, need to listen again, but big picture is still confusing exact reason cardio patients are suffering (noted many deaths are heart attacks).  Need to 'buy time' to figure all of this out.

5.  Transmission - new data Friday  is pretty significant survival on surfaces (72 hours plastic, 48 cardboard, 24 on steel, 8/24 on copper).  Still think between 2.4 and 3.5 R0 (2 or 3X more transmissible than flu).  Fatality still unclear but somewhere between 4 and 20X more than flu.   Chinese told us all this early on but we weren't listening.

6.  Who knows what it will look like here next week.  Maybe 10X current numbers or more if testing actually ramps up with private labs online. The horror this week was realizing community transmission and next week more of that except thinks we'll see reports of hospital beds filling up.  Need to really start pushing the antibody treatment (point #1 above).  Next 2 weeks is critical period.

7.  We don't have lots of excess hospital capacity because built to run efficiently.   Are we going to build tent city hospitals?  We did make sacrifice of shutting down NBA, rodeo, etc. and thinks that was very important.  

8.  No evidence yet warmer weather going to slow things down.  Can't count on it.  We just don't know.

9.  Model that within 2 years over 50% of world population has been infected with .05% fatality rate absolutely plausible.  But modest tweaks to model can have massive impacts.  Still lots of opportunity to change things.

10.  Federal and State govts need to bring groups of experts on specific issues to solve problems (i.e., the large general panel that the administration put together isn't going to be able to solve specific issues, need sub-committees of various experts on issues).

11.   Laughed about how different he has to act going on the different networks to talk (on one network have to say something nice about the president, on another, have to say something negative, in order for them to let you get your points across).

12.  Would probably be embarrassed at what he said on interviews 2 or 3 weeks ago.  This thing is moving so fast.   Answers and insights are going to be constantly changing.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I took my first dose a week ago Thursday.  

No one is going to overrule your PCP. Just let him know that you would rather take something besides an ACE inhibitor. He should give you the pros and cons of different meds and together you can decide on an alternate treatment.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

9.  Model that within 2 years over 50% of world population has been infected with .05% fatality rate absolutely plausible.  But modest tweaks to model can have massive impacts.  Still lots of opportunity to change things.

Yes, higher transmission but lower fatality than originally thought seems to be where this is trending. But for those who are terrible at math, those numbers still add up to 1.875 million global deaths from this virus in the next two years. 82,500 American deaths if the numbers were to be real and also hold true in the US.

5 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Jesus christ people. Its been rapidly established that fomites (ie surfaces and intermediaries) are the main way this thing spreads

avoid anything but your house if u can. I swear to god our population is fucking retarded

No, avoid elderly/compromised people.  Because you're likely gonna get it...as you said, they're everywhere.  Whatever final number on the totals for those infected comes out...it will have been 10x that because of all the people that will have mild symptoms and never get tested.  Actually right now, even those with severe symptoms aren't getting tested. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

To clarify you also insist SHE not go. 

My wife is livid with me I’m being so controlling not letting her take my kiddos to see her parents or my parents. All in their 70s. I said I’m sorry but this will be one time I put my foot down. We’re not getting near olds. We are staying at home. She is pissed. Don’t give a fuck. 

They cancelled mass.  He updated us.  But yes, insisting would have been the right move.  We are in talks with CMS with our group to move as much coverage to telehealth as we can. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away