CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

36 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

The country will get to test and see which way is best to transition. State by state. Anyone that says they’re 100% sure on best way forward is not being honest. 

I’ve repeatedly said, if data shows otherwise we’ll need to reverse course. Initially I was a mega alarmist about coronavirus, but my view has changed somewhat. My thinking is actually more flexible than the absolutists on this thread. 

That's a really stupid way to do it in a nation that has free movement between states.

But whatever.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Still haven't answered the question. How long do you use your ppe?

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/hcwcontrols/recommendedguidanceextuse.html

Has links if you’re interested. 

I use each N95 for five days. There’s techniques to sterilize them at home. Haven’t had to do them yet. I also bought a P100 mask that I use on days I’m at higher risk. 

As for quoting hospital sources I’ll pass. CMOs at sizable metro hospitals here. You’ll have to trust me, or not. IDGAF. This has grown tiresome. 

It’s Friday afternoon. I hope all y’all have a great weekend. 

35 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

CDC guidelines state in some situations you can use N95s for extended use, up to 8 hours, and reuse, up to 5 reuses. You place an extra mask over the N95 to minimize surface contamination. 

The hospitals that follow these guidelines say they have enough. I’m not sure what else you want. 

Some situations up to 8 hours.....how's that work when nurses work 12 hour shifts? 

Also, I'm pretty sure that CDC page didn't exist until hospitals needed an authoritative "evidence-based" reference to be able to tell their employees to put themselves in danger or hit the bricks. You should see the amount of paperwork we have to fill out every time we don/doff PPE and enter a COVID room, all so our administration can say "See? They were following safety checklists and being monitored while donning and doffing previously contaminated PPE and obv they agreed to it because there is their signature!"

Another note: nurses are being told that if they will not be rehired if they quit, even if it is to go volunteer in NYC or other COVID hotspots (where they are still needing nurses, btw). Several of my close friends are already there or about to be traveling.

Edited by trauma babe
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Anyone that says they’re 100% sure on best way forward is not being honest. 

One thing that's 100% certain is that people are stepping up with half-baked, ill-informed plans willing to risk tens of thousands of lives based on politicized information. I guess some of us are also 100% certain that that's a sorry ass approach and akin to the "hunch" following that landed us as the worst western nation in dealing with this virus. 

I suppose we can also be a 100% certain that the death and infection rates are profoundly deflated due to political decisions not to test adequately. Those tragic people drowning in plague alone in their homes won't be counted.

I'm not a scientist. You seem to claim to be in a scientific field, but you're no scientist, either. Your thinking and planning is all based on gut.

Gut-based policy is not any better than policy based on conventional wisdom. 

15 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/hcwcontrols/recommendedguidanceextuse.html

Has links if you’re interested. 

I use each N95 for five days. There’s techniques to sterilize them at home. Haven’t had to do them yet. I also bought a P100 mask that I use on days I’m at higher risk. 

As for quoting hospital sources I’ll pass. CMOs at sizable metro hospitals here. You’ll have to trust me, or not. IDGAF. This has grown tiresome. 

It’s Friday afternoon. I hope all y’all have a great weekend. 

So you're wearing it for how many hours a day? 8? 3? At any rate it's worn out long before Friday. 

I can take your word or traumababe. That's not a hard decision to make. 

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

And it's that easy.  The GOP is the party willing to kill people in order to get an electoral advantage.*

* Punchline: it didn't even work to their advantage.  So they killed people....for nothing.  Now THAT'S perfectly on-brand.

3 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

So....my hope about testing (you know, THE thing we need to make happen for all of this "re-opening" to have legs) was - as suspected - utterly in vain.

There is ZERO national strategy or effort to make this happen.  The administration has utterly abdicated all duty here.  That's why we have multiple independent "confederations" of states, banding together to what the Federal Union they ACTUALLY belong to refuses to do.

What an inexcusable clusterfuck.  No, it's not a clusterfuck.  A clusterfuck implies action.  This admin is all talk, tweets, and zero action.  It's not wrongful action, it's utter INaction that is killing us here.  Fucking pathetic.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

So....my hope about testing (you know, THE thing we need to make happen for all of this "re-opening" to have legs) was - as suspected - utterly in vain.

There is ZERO national strategy or effort to make this happen.  The administration has utterly abdicated all duty here.  That's why we have multiple independent "confederations" of states, banding together to what the Federal Union they ACTUALLY belong to refuses to do.

What an inexcusable clusterfuck.  No, it's not a clusterfuck.  A clusterfuck implies action.  This admin is all talk, tweets, and zero action.  It's not wrongful action, it's utter INaction that is killing us here.  Fucking pathetic.

Well hopefully the DOD and NSA are hot on the trail of finding the source of the outbreak, along with Hunter Biden's crowdstrike server.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

To your point, here's a good thread on how Trump vacillates between acting like a strongman and then acting incredibly weak.

Edited by Message Board User
  • Like 2

We just needs a business man in office to fix it. They know how to take charge, take responsibility, and make decisions. Unlike those swampy fucks who cannot survive in the real world.
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Trump says he's a wartime president fighting an invisible enemy. A REAL leader would take action -- determine the scope of the enemy's threat, use intelligence to plot a course of action, marshal resources and troops to fight, and create unity as we sacrifice. Instead we get a buffoon who relies on his common sense and "smarts," refuses to get actual data on the problem, takes no action to beef up gear or ammo to fight the war, and creates division while pointing fingers. Blame instead of action.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, honolulu horn said:

Trump says he's a wartime president fighting an invisible enemy. A REAL leader would take action -- determine the scope of the enemy's threat, use intelligence to plot a course of action, marshal resources and troops to fight, and create unity as we sacrifice. Instead we get a buffoon who relies on his common sense and "smarts," refuses to get actual data on the problem, takes no action to beef up gear or ammo to fight the war, and creates division while pointing fingers. Blame instead of action.

He's not a leader in any sense of the word.  He's a spokesperson.  That's it.  And even worse, the product he's selling isn't even "The USA."  The product -- because it's the ONLY product that matters to him -- is "Donald Trump."  He's a fucking huckster.  That's all he is.  But enough people buy it (and they always have -- snake oil made MONEY) to fuck the rest of us.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

So, you are currently re-using a PPE during a pandemic (which is a bit like reusing a condom with multiple partners), a practice which is against the standard because it increases the rate of infection, and you think that means we should increase activities which will further strain the supply of PPE and increase the number of COVID patients?  Did I get that all correct? 

It needs to be looked at city by city.  Chicago has enough PPE.  Some electives will likely be started in May.  The truth is some nursing homes are being cheap af and not buying PPE, but acting like it's not available.  I know because we offered them to buy a bunch - the same suppliers that had already delivered to Northwestern, but they said no.  There's 200+ empty beds at NW...there's a shitload of vent capacity.  It's stupid in this particular area to hold off on surgeries electively.  I have several patients that need 'elective' surgeries like lumbar decompression.  Yes, that's elective but the patients are living in pure hell.  And to be clear, I see them in rehab so I don't make more money off surgeries...I'm just telling you 'elective' covers a lot of shit that isn't boob jobs and we need to at least get those procedures going where we can. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It needs to be looked at city by city.  Chicago has enough PPE.  Some electives will likely be started in May.  The truth is some nursing homes are being cheap af and not buying PPE, but acting like it's not available.  I know because we offered them to buy a bunch - the same suppliers that had already delivered to Northwestern, but they said no.  There's 200+ empty beds at NW...there's a shitload of vent capacity.  It's stupid in this particular area to hold off on surgeries electively.  I have several patients that need 'elective' surgeries like lumbar decompression.  Yes, that's elective but the patients are living in pure hell.  And to be clear, I see them in rehab so I don't make more money off surgeries...I'm just telling you 'elective' covers a lot of shit that isn't boob jobs and we need to at least get those procedures going where we can. 

Ya but we need to move the boob jobs to the front of the line.

• Like 1

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/texas

This is interesting.  The previous update had Texas peaking around 4/26 I believe.  Today’s update now shows we are 2 days past the resource peak.  Also went from a projected death toll of about 2,800 to less than 1,000 with a peak in 2 days.  Also talks about relaxing social distancing after 6/1, which is a new element to this page I think. Anyone smarter than me that can add anything meaningful to this?

Edited by TexEx15

3 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

This is interesting.  The previous update had Texas peaking around 4/26 I believe.  Today’s update now shows we are 2 days past the resource peak.  Also went from a projected death toll of about 2,800 to less than 1,000 with a peak in 2 days.  Also talks about relaxing social distancing after 6/1, which is a new element to this page I think. Anyone smarter than me that can add anything meaningful to this?

Just that those projections on peak resource usage are on our current curve, and we will have a couple of weeks of latency until we learn if we jumped the gun on reopening things when we do in May. That is a great sign that the social distancing was effective and worth tolerating 

Edited by Captainant

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The action is the political decision to keep numbers down by not testing to find them. Same with establishing cause of death for the poor souls who believed Trump and drowned in their own fluids at home.

Again, it's not passive inaction. It's murderous policy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I think relying solely on this projection is foolhardy. It hasn't proven itself reliable, at all. And the underlying methodology is suspect. It is an interesting experiment and data point, but it really shouldn't be the basis for national or local policy. 

Using current CDC recommendations to justify using lower grade PPE or rewearing PPE is absolute bullshittery.

The CDC has updated it’s PPE guidance 3 or 4 times as the virus got more widespread and stories of doctors and nurses going without went viral.

The changes were NOT made based on science or evidence of a lower rate of transmission - they were made based on availability.

Now hospitals and clinics can point to those recommendations from the CDC to keep staff in line and to try an avoid HCP walkouts and liability.

Reusing the same PPE on multiple patients much less for an entire shift is NOT normal and not fucking adequate.

It’s what we have right now and it sucks but it’s not the safest or best practice. Not even close.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That tweet upthread from that guy that said this administration isn't interested in policy, especially if it is difficult and politically risky is right. They only care about political ramifications. He put out the vague guidelines and told the governors that opening their states is on them and attacked them to show he is on the pro-business side and the side of the people hurting financially from not working.  His narrative is he is fighting against the bad governors that want to keep them shut in.

The fucker doesn't care if it causes riots, more rona cases or anxiety and confusion among us. He only cares about how he can say he was FOR business and helping people financially. Oh, and that he saved so many lives from the initial 2 million projections with his perfect guidelines. He is a cynical twisted animal and now all the responsible caring governors are going to have to catch the flying shit this monkey flings at them for trying to save lives. It is fucking bizarre world. 

I want off this carnival ride, I'm dizzy and fixing to puke. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

No one could have seen that coming.

Yep. The president trying to rally the cult to disavow his own proclamations which he will at the same time both support and disavow whenever the politics suit him.

Trump is the virus killing America right now.

• Like 2