CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Easiest and smartest business decision you can ever make.  Fish symbol, "XYZ Plumbing is a Christian-owned business," any variation of that shit.....run away as fast as you can.  The comic strip captured it pretty accurately:

ve77aoko51331.jpg

Jesus fish are the original virtue signaling.

I follow your same strategy with contractors. Faith should be evident or you’re doing it wrong.

I didn't mean to, I was just young and hungry; but shortly after we got married and I joined my wife's Catholic church, I told a guy we were chatting with after mass that he could call me if he wanted to talk about investing (I think I gave him my card).  

My wife told me after they walked away that it's in really poor taste to pitch business at church in Catholicism.  I felt kinda bad about it.  Then I looked at the back page of the bulletin in my hand and it was all parishioners' business names and logos.  And so, like a dick, I asked her on the way home..."Sorry about pitching that guy, but what about all these people soliciting business at church with the bulletin?"  And with no sense of irony, she said, "That's different sweetheart.  Those people have to pay to get to do that." 

15 years and how many hundreds of masses at that church later........I still have no fucking idea how these people justify this shit.  

59 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

COVID is especially tough on obese people. Obese people like their sugar. Therefore COVID likes sugar. Any fool can see the correlation there.

And now some people want to push sweet tea on us?  I smell a conspiracy!

Waco Mayor held a PC today. Said hospitals are on the brink of collapse and morgue are overflowing. 
So we've got that going for us which is nice.  
I have family in Waco, most unvaxinated. Its infuriating. This was sent to me today by another family member who is equally frustrated.

IMG950866.thumb.jpg.802c8c48e98db7e29336420e89f9d977.jpg

They've now got refrigerator trucks in Waco, TX to store all the bodies. Maybe they should just refrigerate the silos.
  • Rage+1 2

https://www.thedailybeast.com/like-tuskegee-deep-south-jail-treats-covid-with-drug-fda-says-is-dangerous

The head doctor at an Arkansas jail has been treating inmates suffering from COVID-19 with ivermectin, a drug commonly used to treat parasites in animals. A version of the same drug has been approved by the FDA for topical diseases in humans, but warned against by the agency as completely unproven—and downright dangerous—in treating the coronavirus.

Still, the drug has been prematurely and widely hyped by conservatives and far-right types—some of whom oppose vaccines—as a sort of latter-day pandemic miracle drug. As The Daily Beast reported, this recently set off a wave of disturbing prescriptions and even calls to poison-control centers, in some cases over people who apparently took the “horse paste” version of the drug intended for animals.

Eva Madison, a Justice of the Peace in Washington County, told The Daily Beast she found out about the treatments of the inmates on Tuesday, which were first reported by the Northwest Arkansas Democrat Gazette.

According to Madison, a county employee had been sent to the jail to get a COVID test, which turned out to be negative. Nonetheless, Robert Karas, a doctor who has overseen treatment and testing of inmates throughout the pandemic, allegedly prescribed the employee with 50 tablets of ivermectin, with a recommended dosage of 10 tablets per day. The pharmacy where the prescription was sent, Live + Well Pharmacy, confirmed to The Daily Beast that Karas has been filling out prescriptions there for ivermectin for both inmates and other patients.

Karas did not immediately respond to a request for comment for this story.

According to Madison, the county employee instead told his primary care physician about the prescription and his doctor told him to “throw it in the trash.”

Madison said she is concerned that the more than 600 inmates rotating in and out of the Washington County Detention Center don’t have the same ability to get a second opinion or question the treatment they’re given. “Our inmates do not have that choice,” she said.

Spoiler

Madison said she brought the issue up to Washington County Sheriff Tim Helder on Tuesday, who she said she’d always had a good relationship with. She expected Helder to handle the situation or at least express concern. But instead, she said, he defended Karas.

“I was shocked,” Madison told The Daily Beast.

A spokeswoman for Helder initially declined to answer questions about the treatment or when it began to be used on inmates. “Dr. Karas with Karas Correctional Health is the medical provider contracted to care for the needs of the detainees, so I will have to refer you to him,” she told The Daily Beast. 

Later, the spokeswoman told The Daily Beast that Helder only learned about Karas treating inmates who had tested positive for COVID with ivermectin on Tuesday afternoon. The Democrat Gazette reportedHelder was informed about the use of ivermectin on inmates in July by Karas, but the spokeswoman said that was incorrect. 

Madison said she spoke to Karas directly about the treatment on Tuesday, but that the doctor seemed unmoved and told her that he and members of his family have been taking the treatment to prevent against COVID. When questioned about the fact that the FDA has been adamant in warning against the use of the drug for COVID treatment, she said Karas cited a National Institutes of Health study to make his case.

But when Madison said she pointed out that the NIH concluded in a February report that there was “insufficient evidence” to recommend for or against the use of the drug for COVID treatment, Karas cited a web page published by the Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance that purports to contain the “scientific rationale that justifies the use of ivermectin in COVID-19.”

According to The Scientist, the FLCCC wrote a paper arguing the benefits of ivermectin as a treatment that had been provisionally accepted and posted by the journal Frontiers in Pharmacology in January. However, by March, the paper was rejected and removed because editors found that it contained unsubstantiated claims. Nonetheless, the outlet reported, the paper had been widely viewed and shared by that point.

“So you take a website over the FDA?” Madison said of Karas’ defense. “It was just bizarre.”

210825-ivermectin-embed_dzhc7c

Last week, the FDA tweeted out a page with information about ivermectin, mentioning that they had received multiple reports of patients requiring medical support and getting hospitalized after self-medicating with ivermectin intended for use on horses. The information they release said the drug, even when prescribed to humans to treat skin conditions or lice, is not an antiviral drug.

“Taking large doses of this drug is dangerous and can cause serious harm,” the FDA said.

At a county budget meeting on Tuesday evening, in which representatives from the Sheriff’s Office were requesting a larger budget for the next year—including a 10 percent increase in the budget for Karas and his staff to bring the total to over $1.5 million—Madison brought up the information she’d learned about the treatment.

But representatives from the Sheriff’s Office during the budget meeting defended Karas and his team, saying they’d been “fantastic” throughout the pandemic. Sheriff Helder later spoke to the board in their defense, too, calling them “amazing partners.”

“Whatever a doctor prescribes, that is not in my bailiwick,” he said, discussing the ivermectin treatments. “I haven’t been to medical school.”

Nonetheless, he said he believed that whatever Karas’ team had been doing was working. “As far as our morbidity rate,” he said, “it is zero.” He said that out of over 500 people infected in the detention center, only one was hospitalized for a brief stint. “I will stack their record against any medical provider in a correctional institution anywhere in the United States,” Helder added.

Clint Schnekloth, the pastor of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Fayetteville, said he learned about the treatments from his followers on Facebook who sent him screenshots of Karas allegedly defending the treatment. Schnekloth then posted the images on his page, he said, to expose the doctor.

According to the screenshots, Karas pushed back about the lack of studies showing the drug’s effectiveness: “I got experience and don’t really need more studies.” He also suggested that he may have treated as many as 350 patients at the jail with ivermectin.

Schnekloth said that although he believes taking ivermectin when it isn’t approved is “dumb,” he also believes people who aren’t in jail have the ability to make their own medical choices. But he said the one doctor prescribing experimental drugs to a jail population that doesn’t have those same liberties is entirely different.

“That starts to look like Tuskegee,” he said. “I have a lot of moral concerns about that.”

“He’s got all this control over people, unilaterally,” he said.

The pastor added that he’d be fine with inmates taking the treatment if they had access to other options, too, or if they’d requested it personally. “I don’t know that prisoners have that same ability to be informed. They probably feel some pressure.”

Anna Hively, a technician at the pharmacy in Lowell, Arkansas, told The Daily Beast Karas works closely with the pharmacy and confirmed that he sends prescriptions of ivermectin to be filled there.

“There’s no incentive or anything like that he gets from the prescriptions,” she said, adding that Karas’ prescriptions of ivermectin often vary depending on weight and whether someone has tested positive or not.

She also said he has been prescribing a “preventative” dose for people who are not COVID-19 positive.

Lawrence Gostin, director of the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University and the World Health Organization’s Collaborating Center on National and Global Health Law, told The Daily Beast he was alarmed by the treatments being prescribed. 

“It’s very dangerous to treat somebody with a drug that isn’t approved for the use that you’re treating the person for,” he said. Since the pandemic began, Gostin said, the medical community has dealt with “bogus treatments” that have caused real harm and “raised false hopes” with no evidence that they’re effective.

But he said the use of ivermectin on inmates was particularly egregious and bordered on negligence. “Prisoners have no choice. They’re not free to choose their own doctors and make decisions about their own treatments,” he said. 

Holly Dickson, executive director of the ACLU of Arkansas, called the treatment “medical experimentation” in a statement on Wednesday. 

Dickson added that the use of the treatment by the detention center “illustrates the larger systemic problem of mistreatment of detainees and over incarceration in Arkansas that has persisted—even in the midst of a pandemic.”

• Rage+1 4

https://www.thedailybeast.com/like-tuskegee-deep-south-jail-treats-covid-with-drug-fda-says-is-dangerous

The head doctor at an Arkansas jail has been treating inmates suffering from COVID-19 with ivermectin, a drug commonly used to treat parasites in animals. A version of the same drug has been approved by the FDA for topical diseases in humans, but warned against by the agency as completely unproven—and downright dangerous—in treating the coronavirus.
Still, the drug has been prematurely and widely hyped by conservatives and far-right types—some of whom oppose vaccines—as a sort of latter-day pandemic miracle drug. As The Daily Beast reported, this recently set off a wave of disturbing prescriptions and even calls to poison-control centers, in some cases over people who apparently took the “horse paste” version of the drug intended for animals.

Eva Madison, a Justice of the Peace in Washington County, told The Daily Beast she found out about the treatments of the inmates on Tuesday, which were first reported by the Northwest Arkansas Democrat Gazette.
According to Madison, a county employee had been sent to the jail to get a COVID test, which turned out to be negative. Nonetheless, Robert Karas, a doctor who has overseen treatment and testing of inmates throughout the pandemic, allegedly prescribed the employee with 50 tablets of ivermectin, with a recommended dosage of 10 tablets per day. The pharmacy where the prescription was sent, Live + Well Pharmacy, confirmed to The Daily Beast that Karas has been filling out prescriptions there for ivermectin for both inmates and other patients.

Karas did not immediately respond to a request for comment for this story.
According to Madison, the county employee instead told his primary care physician about the prescription and his doctor told him to “throw it in the trash.”
Madison said she is concerned that the more than 600 inmates rotating in and out of the Washington County Detention Center don’t have the same ability to get a second opinion or question the treatment they’re given. “Our inmates do not have that choice,” she said.

Spoiler

Madison said she brought the issue up to Washington County Sheriff Tim Helder on Tuesday, who she said she’d always had a good relationship with. She expected Helder to handle the situation or at least express concern. But instead, she said, he defended Karas.
“I was shocked,” Madison told The Daily Beast.
A spokeswoman for Helder initially declined to answer questions about the treatment or when it began to be used on inmates. “Dr. Karas with Karas Correctional Health is the medical provider contracted to care for the needs of the detainees, so I will have to refer you to him,” she told The Daily Beast. 
Later, the spokeswoman told The Daily Beast that Helder only learned about Karas treating inmates who had tested positive for COVID with ivermectin on Tuesday afternoon. The Democrat Gazette reportedHelder was informed about the use of ivermectin on inmates in July by Karas, but the spokeswoman said that was incorrect. 
Madison said she spoke to Karas directly about the treatment on Tuesday, but that the doctor seemed unmoved and told her that he and members of his family have been taking the treatment to prevent against COVID. When questioned about the fact that the FDA has been adamant in warning against the use of the drug for COVID treatment, she said Karas cited a National Institutes of Health study to make his case.
But when Madison said she pointed out that the NIH concluded in a February report that there was “insufficient evidence” to recommend for or against the use of the drug for COVID treatment, Karas cited a web page published by the Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance that purports to contain the “scientific rationale that justifies the use of ivermectin in COVID-19.”
According to The Scientist, the FLCCC wrote a paper arguing the benefits of ivermectin as a treatment that had been provisionally accepted and posted by the journal Frontiers in Pharmacology in January. However, by March, the paper was rejected and removed because editors found that it contained unsubstantiated claims. Nonetheless, the outlet reported, the paper had been widely viewed and shared by that point.
“So you take a website over the FDA?” Madison said of Karas’ defense. “It was just bizarre.”
210825-ivermectin-embed_dzhc7c
Last week, the FDA tweeted out a page with information about ivermectin, mentioning that they had received multiple reports of patients requiring medical support and getting hospitalized after self-medicating with ivermectin intended for use on horses. The information they release said the drug, even when prescribed to humans to treat skin conditions or lice, is not an antiviral drug.
“Taking large doses of this drug is dangerous and can cause serious harm,” the FDA said.
At a county budget meeting on Tuesday evening, in which representatives from the Sheriff’s Office were requesting a larger budget for the next year—including a 10 percent increase in the budget for Karas and his staff to bring the total to over $1.5 million—Madison brought up the information she’d learned about the treatment.
But representatives from the Sheriff’s Office during the budget meeting defended Karas and his team, saying they’d been “fantastic” throughout the pandemic. Sheriff Helder later spoke to the board in their defense, too, calling them “amazing partners.”
“Whatever a doctor prescribes, that is not in my bailiwick,” he said, discussing the ivermectin treatments. “I haven’t been to medical school.”
Nonetheless, he said he believed that whatever Karas’ team had been doing was working. “As far as our morbidity rate,” he said, “it is zero.” He said that out of over 500 people infected in the detention center, only one was hospitalized for a brief stint. “I will stack their record against any medical provider in a correctional institution anywhere in the United States,” Helder added.
Clint Schnekloth, the pastor of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Fayetteville, said he learned about the treatments from his followers on Facebook who sent him screenshots of Karas allegedly defending the treatment. Schnekloth then posted the images on his page, he said, to expose the doctor.
According to the screenshots, Karas pushed back about the lack of studies showing the drug’s effectiveness: “I got experience and don’t really need more studies.” He also suggested that he may have treated as many as 350 patients at the jail with ivermectin.
Schnekloth said that although he believes taking ivermectin when it isn’t approved is “dumb,” he also believes people who aren’t in jail have the ability to make their own medical choices. But he said the one doctor prescribing experimental drugs to a jail population that doesn’t have those same liberties is entirely different.
“That starts to look like Tuskegee,” he said. “I have a lot of moral concerns about that.”
“He’s got all this control over people, unilaterally,” he said.
The pastor added that he’d be fine with inmates taking the treatment if they had access to other options, too, or if they’d requested it personally. “I don’t know that prisoners have that same ability to be informed. They probably feel some pressure.”
Anna Hively, a technician at the pharmacy in Lowell, Arkansas, told The Daily Beast Karas works closely with the pharmacy and confirmed that he sends prescriptions of ivermectin to be filled there.
“There’s no incentive or anything like that he gets from the prescriptions,” she said, adding that Karas’ prescriptions of ivermectin often vary depending on weight and whether someone has tested positive or not.
She also said he has been prescribing a “preventative” dose for people who are not COVID-19 positive.
Lawrence Gostin, director of the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University and the World Health Organization’s Collaborating Center on National and Global Health Law, told The Daily Beast he was alarmed by the treatments being prescribed. 
“It’s very dangerous to treat somebody with a drug that isn’t approved for the use that you’re treating the person for,” he said. Since the pandemic began, Gostin said, the medical community has dealt with “bogus treatments” that have caused real harm and “raised false hopes” with no evidence that they’re effective.
But he said the use of ivermectin on inmates was particularly egregious and bordered on negligence. “Prisoners have no choice. They’re not free to choose their own doctors and make decisions about their own treatments,” he said. 
Holly Dickson, executive director of the ACLU of Arkansas, called the treatment “medical experimentation” in a statement on Wednesday. 
Dickson added that the use of the treatment by the detention center “illustrates the larger systemic problem of mistreatment of detainees and over incarceration in Arkansas that has persisted—even in the midst of a pandemic.”

1f2c029871d24de330d4eaedb40daa9d.jpg
Taken yesterday at my local Tractor Supply in WilCo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

If 90+% of people at an event are vaccinated, only a tiny fraction of them are likely to be infected. Yes those few are infectious. Early reports are they are less infectious than unvaccinated who are covid infected, but for argument’s sake let’s say they are equally infectious. The people around them whom they expose, being vaccinated as well, have a very small chance of contracting the virus. 

Contrast that with almost no one vaccinated. The numbers for Lollapalooza were right there in the story you linked

This shit is not difficult. If you passed 9th grade Health class you should get it

image.gif.8948620545e52b7aec83a0d5884b3367.gif

He's just fucking with you. He asks the same stupid questions over and over.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I have family in Waco, most unvaxinated. Its infuriating. This was sent to me today by another family member who is equally frustrated.

IMG950866.thumb.jpg.802c8c48e98db7e29336420e89f9d977.jpg

They've now got refrigerator trucks in Waco, TX to store all the bodies. Maybe they should just refrigerate the silos.

Sorry, they are not refrigerator trucks.  They are FREEDOM FRIDGES.  We need them because we are so freedom, much patriot flag eagle gun!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Shedding intestinal lining?

Oh there's more. So much more

While the comment regarding 'being born with hooves' is inaccurate since a nursing baby is already born, it does make me wonder when someone is going to get the *checks notes* notion that ingesting Boudreaux's Butt Paste will work if you run out of dewormer.

• Haha 1

Our friends in health care have seen plenty to impale the heart in this COVID-19 pandemic, but nothing more tragic than this: the sight of guilt-ridden young children who believe they’ve killed an unvaccinated parent by bringing the virus home.

“And as they’re dying, the kids are at the bedside apologizing,” a hospital nurse tells me.

“You’ve actually seen that?” I ask her.

“Multiple times,” says the nurse.

Of course it isn’t the kids’ fault they got sick and may have gotten their unvaccinated father or mother deathly ill. While Dad or Mom could’ve easily gotten vaccinated, the children could not have. “But they still just feel terrible, because they feel like they killed their parent,” she says.

This is the tragedy tucked inside COVID’s calamity. As if our heroes in health care need more on their shoulders, they must deal with hostility toward them and toward the hard-won medicine that could’ve saved even the quarrelsome — and perhaps saved their young children a lifetime of groundless guilt for having brought the virus home that killed daddy.

“If that story doesn’t make you change your mind, I just don’t really care to talk with you at all,” my nurse friend says, matter-of-factly. “If that doesn’t bother you, I don’t know what will.

“It’s mind-blowing to all of us. We just can’t fathom it.”

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/michael-ryan/article253707348.html

I do feel sorry for the children left behind by their idiot parents.  The idea of the kids carrying guilt over it forever had not even crossed my mind.  

• Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

If 90+% of people at an event are vaccinated, only a tiny fraction of them are likely to be infected. Yes those few are infectious. Early reports are they are less infectious than unvaccinated who are covid infected, but for argument’s sake let’s say they are equally infectious. The people around them whom they expose, being vaccinated as well, have a very small chance of contracting the virus. 

Contrast that with almost no one vaccinated. The numbers for Lollapalooza were right there in the story you linked

This shit is not difficult. If you passed 9th grade Health class you should get it

image.gif.8948620545e52b7aec83a0d5884b3367.gif

And the people who have antibodies but are not vaccinated? What does 9th grade health class say about that? You didn't address the segment of the population who knowingly or unknowingly have antibodies from prior infection. Please clear this up for me. 

Edited by lmao
  • Fuck You 7

Just now, lmao said:

And the people who have antibodies but are not vaccinated? What does 9th grade health class say about that? You didn't address that segment of the population who knowingly or unknowingly has antibodies from prior infection.

Well that’s not really measurable but you are correct; the number of people at sturgis with antibodies either from recovered infection or vax is above zero. But it’s not near 90% either. The delta variant has been compared with chickenpox in terms of transmissibility. Meaning an exposure in a person with no immunity will result in infection about 9 times in 10. Let’s be generous and say the sturgis crowds, between vaxed and recovered illness, have about 60% of people with immunity. That’s best case scenario and I doubt it’s even close to that. But say it is. Up to 9/10 of the other 40% can get it, plus maybe 3/10 of the immune. So yeah way fucking worse. 

• Hook 'Em 7

51 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

50 buckaroos.  They will give you fifty bucks to not die a horrible death.  Must be a catch.

I went to the free Kelly & Bruce concert in the San Marcos city park last week, and the organizers were offering free T-shirts to the first nine people who got vaccinated there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

I see people with a high school level understanding of science are still arguing with a physician about disease and medicine.

Okay, I've gone back 3 pages and still have no idea what this comment is referring to.

Attorney John Pierce, who represented Kyle Rittenhouse and at least 17 other insurrectionists, is on a ventilator. On August 17, Pierce tweeted, "The entire 82nd Airborne couldn't make me get an experimental government vaccine stuck in my arm."  On July 4, he called the Army vaccine mandate "a final-phase designed-purge of Patriotic Americans from the Army."

https://www.newsweek.com/anti-vaccination-lawyer-capitol-rioters-now-ventilator-covid-19-1623155

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

On the bright side, probably get a nice side benefit of reducing parasitic infection in rural America.

E9oodfMWQAA6tpz?format=jpg&name=large

wtf-redneck.gif

3 hours ago, lmao said:

And the people who have antibodies but are not vaccinated? What does 9th grade health class say about that? You didn't address the segment of the population who knowingly or unknowingly have antibodies from prior infection. Please clear this up for me. 

les-grossman-fuck-your-own-face.gif

36 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Attorney John Pierce, who represented Kyle Rittenhouse and at least 17 other insurrectionists, is on a ventilator. On August 17, Pierce tweeted, "The entire 82nd Airborne couldn't make me get an experimental government vaccine stuck in my arm."  On July 4, he called the Army vaccine mandate "a final-phase designed-purge of Patriotic Americans from the Army."

https://www.newsweek.com/anti-vaccination-lawyer-capitol-rioters-now-ventilator-covid-19-1623155

I'd be willing to bet he's getting all kinds of experimental treatments right now -- shit like Regeneron's cocktail.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, brakeman said:

have we reached merica's Rome moment in tine?

this is my brother's kinda b/s line. 

where are we gonna go? 

Mars?

Jupiter?

maybe, we can fix up our own old jalopy and stay here.

Edited by brakeman