CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

6 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Dr. McKinsey retweeting Jordan Peterson retweeting the Daily Mail is just [chef’s kiss].

That shit is like patently false.  Holy furk.

6 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

You mean the last 400 years that have been the best 400 years of the billions this plant has existed?  The 400 years where our country became a superpower and the greatest place to ever live?  

Let's tear that all down.

“Main Street is the climax of civilization. That this Ford car might stand in front of the Bon Ton Store, Hannibal invaded Rome and Erasmus wrote in Oxford cloisters. What Ole Jenson the grocer says to Ezra Stowbody the banker is the new law for London, Prague, and the unprofitable isles of the sea; whatsoever Ezra does not know and sanction, that thing is heresy, worthless for knowing and wicked to consider.”

— Sinclair Lewis

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Dr. McKinsey retweeting Jordan Peterson retweeting the Daily Mail is just [chef’s kiss].

Who is this Peter Attia guy and why would I believe anything he says after saying that?  It's exactly what it is.  I bet they also have a requirement that he not be a nicotine user as well, but he's not bitching about that one, probably because he was never a smoker, or was willing to give it up.

• Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

“Main Street is the climax of civilization. That this Ford car might stand in front of the Bon Ton Store, Hannibal invaded Rome and Erasmus wrote in Oxford cloisters. What Ole Jenson the grocer says to Ezra Stowbody the banker is the new law for London, Prague, and the unprofitable isles of the sea; whatsoever Ezra does not know and sanction, that thing is heresy, worthless for knowing and wicked to consider.”

— Sinclair Lewis

Call me crazy, but I think there might be a valid opinion about Western civilization somewhere between its being the worst thing that ever happened to humanity and the best thing that ever happened. Such a take probably won’t get many retweets though

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Wait, so you posted a table indicating that police officers are the fifth-most ethical profession and this didn't ring any alarm bells to you?

Which profession below them, taken as a whole, would you move up

12 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Which profession below them, taken as a whole, would you move up

Clergy, judges, journalists at least. I would at least consider lawyers as well. There are obviously bad actors in any of these professions, and while there is some systematic cover-up in terms of Catholic church etc., I still think they do not uniformly consider those outside their profession as sub-human.

• Hook 'Em 3

50/50 on the pigs doesn't surprise me at all.  That's actually a low point for them on such polls over the last thirty years.

I think that you probably need to break that table down into buckets based on three or four groups.  There is a 19pt gap between 4 and 5.  That hole is far bigger than the gap between lawyers and used cars sales people.

I'd bucket the top 4 (~20pt spread), and then the pigs through journalists (24 pt spread). Lawyers through members of congress go in the third bucket (13pt spread).  Approximates tertiles of the distribution, high, moderate, low perception of ethics/honesty. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

50/50 on the pigs doesn't surprise me at all.  That's actually a low point for them on such polls over the last thirty years.

I think that you probably need to break that table down into buckets based on three or four groups.  There is a 19pt gap between 4 and 5.  That hole is far bigger than the gap between lawyers and used cars sales people.

I'd bucket the top 4 (~20pt spread), and then the pigs through journalists (24 pt spread). Lawyers through members of congress go in the third bucket (13pt spread).  Approximates tertiles of the distribution, high, moderate, low perception of ethics/honesty. 

Where do you put pharma bros? 

And I strongly suspect that you realize this but it's also important to acknowledge that this is perception of ethical behavior, not any measure of actual ethical behavior. Either way I do believe that doctors will have thought more about bioethics so I agree with @Anastasis's thought, but I'm not sure this is a good way to demonstrate that.

• Like 1

Is this the thread where professionals shit on each other’s industry?

Lawyers, sales people, finance, business executives, Insurance types  - sociopaths

Law enforcement - wife beaters

Nurses and doctors - You're cool but Nurses are cooler.

Dentists - Do we have any dentists?

Engineers - angry dorks and have the personality of the BTK killer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Ana, can you explain what this guy is saying like I'm a five year old?

You realize the first guy isn't a medical doctor, right?  And the second guy  seems to be suggesting the immune response to disease can be similarly desensitized as the immune response to an allergen (which is essentially what allergy shots do). I'm not an expert, but I'm not aware of any evidence that supports that conclusion and frankly it would be baffling if the body got weaker at responding to an illness because it got repeatedly infected. I'm fairly confident the second post is complete bullshit. The first is just out of context data with a misleading spin.  

25 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Ana, can you explain what this guy is saying like I'm a five year old?

"Israel has a robust testing program deployed to a relatively small population and I am too stupid to look at per capita death numbers, so I talk about about allergy shots."

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You realize the first guy isn't a medical doctor, right?  And the second guy  seems to be suggesting the immune response to disease can be similarly desensitized as the immune response to an allergen (which is essentially what allergy shots do). I'm not an expert, but I'm not aware of any evidence that supports that conclusion and frankly it would be baffling if the body got weaker at responding to an illness because it got repeatedly infected. I'm fairly confident the second post is complete bullshit. The first is just out of context data with a misleading spin.  

I was definitely confused by the second dude, who just said that immune responses just turn off. I never heard of such a thing.

6 hours ago, Bravo said:

I'd agree. I'm not making any claims on this data. It does send up red flags though wouldn't you agree something odd may be happening? Perhaps deep investigation is needed as to why either the data is showing a huge spike or is it due to increased testing. Did testing in Israel go way up? 

Israel's daily new covid deaths per capita are 1/10th of the US's. Further, Israel did drastically increase testing in January:

Figures from Our World in Data show rates of testing increased dramatically in Israel in January, and the country is now among nations carrying out the highest levels of tests per 1,000 people in the world (bit.ly/33YHGSC). Moreover, the percentage share of positive tests is lower in Israel than in countries such as the United States. Higher percentages of positive tests suggest that there is greater transmission within a community than is being picked up by testing 

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-israel-covid-idUSL1N2U40PD

And only 6% of it's population has received a 4th booster. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Maybe that is not what he is saying, but that is what I hear. 

Maybe the idea of “original antigenic sin”?  But I doubt he’s smart enough for that.  I don’t have time to explain it to you peons.  Google it if you like.  But it’s been shown to not be a concern with SARS-CoV-2

• Hook 'Em 3

The tweet also falsely implies that Israel is the most vaccinated country. While it's ahead of the US, it is behind a number of countries.

Doses per 100 people (Examples, not full listing):

• Chile - 241.33 (mostly Sinovac)
  • Denmark - 224.29
  • South Korea - 220.33
  • Italy - 208.36
  • Portugal - 207.11
  • Ireland - 206.81
  • Canada - 201.88
  • UK - 201.69
  • France - 200.61
  • Norway - 198.61
  • Germany 194.33
  • Austria - 192.54
  • Israel - 191.67
  • United States - 161.79

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/israel

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I bet this guy was one of us as well:

FallingDown.jpg

Note:  Can't remember if the movie specified which branch of engineering he was in.  May have been an aeronautical kind of dude.

man, Falling Down really is one of those touchstone movies for the malcontent right wing extremist. It's kinda crazy to watch it with fresh eyes nowadays - a subpar white dude who's slipping down the scale of societal importance taking it out on everyone else

If you're referring to that Axios interview with the Aussie/Kiwi reporter, the contention he made that was mocked was the reporter was inquiring about our alarming deaths/million statistic and Trump said that deaths were rising because we had more cases, and we had more cases because we did more tests.  The Axios guy pushed back, "The deaths/million stat isn't related to more cases...it's based on dead bodies in a given population."  But Trump didn't understand and moved on.  

If somebody gave Trump shit over more tests=more cases reported, then that was just political.  But that Axios interview was just beyond bizarre (and again, you may very well be referring to something else).  But after that interview, I just stopped watching the President comment on Covid entirely.  He was a busy man with a lot going on in an already complex nation...didn't expect him to understand every statistical nuance of the pandemic at that early stage.  But when he didn't understand how death/million and total deaths were two completely different metrics and that you don't need a Covid test to die from Covid...and then he brought out his little four-color, four-barred graph to show cases with three other countries...I just thought, "Oh shit, if he doesn't understand percentages...what fucking chance do we have?" 

It gets into it at 0:28 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edQm2eMWYno&t=31s

Edited by Lobo

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

man, Falling Down really is one of those touchstone movies for the malcontent right wing extremist. It's kinda crazy to watch it with fresh eyes nowadays - a subpar white dude who's slipping down the scale of societal importance taking it out on everyone else

But he didn’t put up with the Nazi gun store owner’s bullshit.

2 hours ago, Bravo said:

Didn't Trump get a lot of heat when he said when you test more you're going to see more cases reported? 

The criticism wasn't of the the idea that more testing would result in more confirmed positive cases as that's practically tautological. Trump got heat because he thought the problem was public relations and the optics of having positive cases rather than all the sick and dying people.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/24/2022 at 6:15 PM, Anastasis said:

Link to the actual study?

On 1/24/2022 at 6:33 PM, Willfully Horn said:

My search skills are too poor. Maybe it hasn’t been released, though @smoky found an update, he says, which I also haven’t been able to find. But, the story is all over media in Michigan, and I have no reason to doubt it.

Sixty percent isn’t infinitesimal. There may be other factors than masks, and any of those variables which we can control ought be put in place. Within reason, and cost. Masks fall into both categories.

Sorry if this is beyond the statute of limitations for a reply, but tapa isn't good at notifying posters when you're mentioned or have a dm...

This is the slide that produced the original story:

image.thumb.png.11599ab93c66337f3534c8c7561b22f3.png

link: MI COVID response Data and modeling update (michigan.gov)

What I'm still unclear on is their methodology.  Based on the footnote in the lower left, it seems as though they're counting cases from the 5-18 age group and then applying it to the public school area that those cases are originating in.  So, in ATX terms, if a 10 year old in zip code 78758 gets sick, they'd see that as a case for a school with "masks required" even if that kid went to private school with a lax mask policy or was home schooled.

So the article was printed based on that slide.

Michigan then continued the study, as it's relatively easy to do once you have the dataset set up.  Through 12/6 here is the same slide.

image.thumb.png.9e42252659945e3499cd819d39a66bae.png

link:  MI COVID response Data and modeling update (michigan.gov)

And this was presented really before Omicron took off.  I'd suspect they'll update it again in the near future and the lines will still overlap.

The second graph doesn't mean masks don't work, just like the first graph doesn't mean that masks do work.  The study was flawed in their data collection.  

After doing some digging on why they weren't pulling data directly from school district data, I found my answer when I ran across this article:

How many COVID cases are in Michigan schools? State has no idea anymore | Bridge Michigan

Basically, if you really want to present an argument as gospel, there's a dataset out there that will support your claim (which is why we have crazies everywhere).

Edited by smoky
  • Like 1