CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

37 minutes ago, smoky said:

Sorry if this is beyond the statute of limitations for a reply, but tapa isn't good at notifying posters when you're mentioned or have a dm...

This is the slide that produced the original story:

link: MI COVID response Data and modeling update (michigan.gov)

What I'm still unclear on is their methodology.  Based on the footnote in the lower left, it seems as though they're counting cases from the 5-18 age group and then applying it to the public school area that those cases are originating in.  So, in ATX terms, if a 10 year old in zip code 78758 gets sick, they'd see that as a case for a school with "masks required" even if that kid went to private school with a lax mask policy or was home schooled.

So the article was printed based on that slide.

Michigan then continued the study, as it's relatively easy to do once you have the dataset set up.  Through 12/6 here is the same slide.

link:  MI COVID response Data and modeling update (michigan.gov)

And this was presented really before Omicron took off.  I'd suspect they'll update it again in the near future and the lines will still overlap.

The second graph doesn't mean masks don't work, just like the first graph doesn't mean that masks do work.  The study was flawed in their data collection.  

After doing some digging on why they weren't pulling data directly from school district data, I found my answer when I ran across this article:

How many COVID cases are in Michigan schools? State has no idea anymore | Bridge Michigan

Basically, if you really want to present an argument as gospel, there's a dataset out there that will support your claim (which is why we have crazies everywhere).

Community transmission has always been the strongest factor associated with school based cases. Failure to account for background transmission rates explicitly in the analysis is a significant limitation. 

11 hours ago, Captainant said:

man, Falling Down really is one of those touchstone movies for the malcontent right wing extremist. It's kinda crazy to watch it with fresh eyes nowadays - a subpar white dude who's slipping down the scale of societal importance taking it out on everyone else

He just wants a godamned breakfast. 

Defense engineer, per wiki. 

11 hours ago, Captainant said:

man, Falling Down really is one of those touchstone movies for the malcontent right wing extremist. It's kinda crazy to watch it with fresh eyes nowadays - a subpar white dude who's slipping down the scale of societal importance taking it out on everyone else

He kills a Nazi. Right wing extremist in a different way.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:42 PM, Neonmoon said:

I would break it down further

Chemical Engineers - angry dorks

Structural Engineers - mute dorks

Mechanical Engineers - BTK killers

Petroleum Engineers - fake engineers 

Hey fucky, where are the civil engineers who are boring dorks?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Normal doctor doing normal doctor stuff.

I have no issue with his full response.  He didn’t want to be limited to a yes or no answer to a relatively broad question.  He should have said the last part first (the 2 US vaccines have been shown effective at preventing hospitalization).

47 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I have no issue with his full response.  He didn’t want to be limited to a yes or no answer to a relatively broad question.  He should have said the last part first (the 2 US vaccines have been shown effective at preventing hospitalization).

Yeah, he didn't say anything wrong at all.  She was trying to box him in with a broad question narrowed down to a yes/no answer and he wasn't taking the bait.  She asked the question 3 times and each time the question was slightly different.

He didn't say the last part first because she didn't specifically ask about prevention until the third time she asked.  Prior to that, "effective at what exactly?" would've been an appropriate rebuttal if you want me to answer with only a Yes or No.

40 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Yeah, he didn't say anything wrong at all.  She was trying to box him in with a broad question narrowed down to a yes/no answer and he wasn't taking the bait.  She asked the question 3 times and each time the question was slightly different.

He didn't say the last part first because she didn't specifically ask about prevention until the third time she asked.  Prior to that, "effective at what exactly?" would've been an appropriate rebuttal if you want me to answer with only a Yes or No.

Oh come the fuck on, the first question and answer:

Q. Do you believe that vaccines in fighting against a pandemic like Covid-19 are effective?

A. Thank you for your question Senator. Again, I would say that the question is a scientific one and is one that is answered with data. So uh, the question is informed on, you know, on specific outcomes and specific therapies. So maybe that is the scientific question.

The answer to that was an easy yes, and here is why. Instead he fucking dodged and weaved because Desantis doesn't want him actually talking about the benefits of vaccination. 

She only tried to box him after he refused to answer that simple fucking question. He could have easily said the last part first and you fucking know it: "The most commonly used vaccines, which would be the Pfizer product and the product developed by Modern [it doesn't seem like he actually knows much about them], have been shown to have relatively high effectiveness for the prevention of hospitalization."

At least that is an actual fucking answer, even if it appears to take pains to minimize the importance of vaccination. 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Oh come the fuck on, the first question and answer:

The answer to that was an easy yes, and here is why. Instead he fucking dodged and weaved because Desantis doesn't want him actually talking about the benefits of vaccination. 

She only tried to box him after he refused to answer that simple fucking question. He could have easily said the last part first and you fucking know it: "The most commonly used vaccines, which would be the Pfizer product and the product developed by Modern [it doesn't seem like he actually knows much about them], have been shown to have relatively high effectiveness for the prevention of hospitalization."

At least that is an actual fucking answer, even if it appears to take pains to minimize the importance of vaccination. 

I admit that I made the incorrect assumption that the state senator asking the question was a republican and trying to put him in a tough spot.  Those questions coming from a democrat seem odd and I would've expected more specific questions that make him look even worse if he was to answer No.

If an alien came down to earth and asked me "yes or no, are the vaccines effective against Covid 19?" I'd have to answer "that's not a yes/no question.  They are very effective in these ways but less effective in these, you're going to need to be more specific."

What's odd to me is that I think he could've answered her first two questions with a yes, but her specific phrasing ("do the vaccines work against preventing Covid 19, yes or no?) the third time, he could've accurately said no if he wanted to.  The answer that y'all like (with regards to reducing hospitalization) didn't really answer her specific yes/no question about prevention.

Edited by Don Johnson

4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

What's odd to me is that I think he could've answered her first two questions with a yes, but her specific phrasing ("do the vaccines work against preventing Covid 19, yes or no?) the third time, he could've accurately said no if he wanted to.  The answer that y'all like (with regards to reducing hospitalization) didn't really answer her specific yes/no question about prevention.

I agree with this. Frankly, it wasn't clear to me that either of them really knew the material that well or how to carefully craft questions/answers.  I don't think she realized she changed her question by specifically asking about prevention. And I don't think he did either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Well duh. But it’s not like I came up with the term 100 years ago. 

Interesting how comfortable you are with expressions of racism as long as it is particularly distal to the modern day. 

I am sure that there is no relation to that observation and your boating expeditions. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Anastasis said:

Interesting how comfortable you are with expressions of racism as long as it is particularly distal to the modern day. 

I am sure that there is no relation to that observation and your boating expeditions. 

Nice try Annie. Do you not realize when you’re being obvious with your bait trolling? Well I do. Maybe you’ve had a few and are just having your fun. Hope it’s cathartic.

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Nice try Annie. Do you not realize when you’re being obvious with your bait trolling? Well I do. Maybe you’ve had a few and are just having your fun. Hope it’s cathartic.

Of course he's had a few.  It's Friday night.  (Me too.)

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Sorry that you don't appreciate your latent racism. Be better JDS. 

17 minutes ago, Bravo said:

WTF are you talking about? What is this 3 to 1 ratio you speak of? I have more Pos reps than posts. I have a 1:1 ratio just like you my friend. 

This is obviously the most important question to be answered of the night.

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Sorry that you don't appreciate your latent racism. Be better JDS. 

If you say so. I do appreciate the fact when sometimes I’m in discussion with people who while smart, think they are smarter than they are. Unless you’re actually a psychic. That I can appreciate. 

Edited by JimmyJames

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Of course he's had a few.  It's Friday night.  (Me too.)

He’s still mad about that night a met his mom back in the 90s at tangerines, took her out for a nice seafood dinner, and then never called her again.

Hell I’d be pissed at me too.

One full week after confirmed Coflu-Flurona diagnosis. Tested positive again for COVID yesterday. Ongoing nagging cough and off and on congestion and headaches. 

Really more of an annoyance than anything from symptoms, but being being stuck in personal lockdown is a bitch. 

Had a judge give me shit yesterday for requesting to appear remotely. Thankfully opposing counsel appeared to a reset in a couple weeks. 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have felt the same, know I was in contact and just decided to isolate. I postponed a dental procedure just to be on the safe side. Was not an emergency, but was going to be in a lab for about 7 hours.

Of course recovering from a concussion so the cough makes my head hurt. Not fun, but yes, more of an annoyance.