CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

59 minutes ago, RayDog said:

I find it interesting that I live in a country where the average IQ is around 85, the average person has a 6th grade education to a 2nd or 3rd grade US level, and the emotional and intellectual maturity of a 14 year old, and yet, they are doing a much better job responding to this pandemic than Republicans.

Duterte went on a killing spree of citizens who partake in scheduled substances - and remains the leader of that nation with US support. I am not surprised Filipinos are complying with his orders. 

Edited by washparkhorn
spelling

49 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump Admin: “China misled and covered up information about the dangers of the coronavirus.”

Also Trump Admin:  “Our scientists, paid for by the tax payers, will not be allowed to publicly testify about the coronavirus.”

How is he able to stop them from testifying if they want to and/or are subpoena’d by Congress?

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

which, as I'm sure you know, is not the same as healthcare.

It's probably the single most important component of the healthcare system relevant to a discussion of COVID healthcare capacity. 

Just now, Anastasis said:

It's probably the single most important component of the healthcare system relevant to a discussion of COVID healthcare capacity. 

i agree. but part of the reason we're in this mess is because we do not have healthcare in this country. only instance care.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

i agree. but part of the reason we're in this mess is because we do not have healthcare in this country. only instance care.

I don't disagree that there are basic and fundamental problems with our healthcare system. We generally don't have incentives aligned around health and well being and preventative care. We generally have incentives aligned around encounter/procedure quantity and complexity. As far as COVID, our infrastructure appears suitable.  We are financially crippling, at least in the short term, a good number of providers and facilities in the process, which is a whole other discussion.  But I think that we have still measured up well compared to the other western nations. 

31 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

What an interesting bug. 370 workers, asymptomatic. 

Getting tested tomorrow for work. Looking forward to it. 

They weren't all asymptomatic.  They just hid it and went to work because they needed the more or were undocumented.

Just in case everyone thinks vaccines will end this...

Fox News correspondent today saying that no one should be forced to take a vaccine and only old people and immune comprised people should get the vaccine. 

So we got that going for us 

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Fox News correspondent today saying that no one should be forced to take a vaccine and only old people and immune comprised people should get the vaccine. 

Even if they produce a vaccine, that's how it will shake out just from sheer numbers.  Let's say they can produce 100M for the United States.  That means 2/3 of the country doesn't get one.

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Even if they produce a vaccine, that's how it will shake out just from sheer numbers.  Let's say they can produce 100M for the United States.  That means 2/3 of the country doesn't get one.

Yeah. There is going to have to be a staged roll out. 

Hey, on the mask 'in public' thing.  Not really a political angle, just asking here as I've given up on the other thread.
Would you personally include "in public" to be things like walking/biking trails?  Or say, skateboarding through the neighborhood? Or is it more just for when I'm going into a store or picking up food?  
Masks where I'm at are more the rarity than the rule, whatever the answer.  Which brings my follow-up--if nobody around me is wearing a mask, and I'm wearing a non-N95 (or what not) mask, am I doing myself any good other than maybe not spreading it *if* I am somehow a carrier?

Outdoors you're probably fine if you're not in a crowd and can reasonably walk/run/ whatever past someone at a safe distance. I don't wear one on a run or walking the dog in the neighborhood. My zip is one of the highest risk in Austin just because I live amongst the olds, and still most aren't masked up in that situation. If it's lady bird lake or whatever where there can be a crowd I'd wear one.

As for what good you're doing, minimizing the risk of spreading is a good on its own, but the protection goes two ways. You're reducing your risk of contracting as well.

I find it interesting that I live in a country where the average IQ is around 85, the average person has a 6th grade education to a 2nd or 3rd grade US level, and the emotional and intellectual maturity of a 14 year old, and yet, they are doing a much better job responding to this pandemic than Republicans.

I thought Republicans had Oklahoma on lock?

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

get a copy of  his driver's license and tell him that if he ever comes  back they'll have him arrested for trespassing.

also, they might want to do something about the guy with the KKK hood.

Say what you will about the Confederate veterans who founded the original Klan, at least you could take them on a 20-mile route march without them stroking out.

28 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Surly CR- Trump is the worst president in history. He and his Administration are so incompetent that they cannot be trusted to be handle anything. 

Also Surly CR- Anyone who balks at a minimally tested and hastily approved vaccine pushed through by something called “Operation Warp Speed” is a rube. 

I know that’s not exactly what you’re saying, but we’ll get there. It’s just a funny contradiction. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Fuck You 3

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Surly CR- Trump is the worst president in history. He and his Administration are so incompetent that they cannot be trusted to be handle anything. 

Also Surly CR- Anyone who balks at a minimally tested and hastily approved vaccine pushed through by something called “Operation Warp Speed” is a rube. 

I know that’s not exactly what you’re saying, but we’ll get there. It’s just a funny contradiction. 

I’m castigating the anti-vaxx rhetoric being parroted by a major news network that actively works against eradicating the virus 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Quote any posts here from anyone not a trump sycophant saying a vaccine should be rushed through without proper trials. 

• Like 6

Using covid-19 as an excuse to broadcast from a national monument to own the libs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/us/politics/trump-lincoln-memorial.html

As President Trump’s aides ran down the list of possible backdrops for his latest Fox News event, they eventually landed on their favorite: the Lincoln Memorial, an iconic tribute to an American life, and one of Mr. Trump’s preferred places to add a prime-time touch of drama to his presidency.

There was just one catch: While Mr. Trump and many other presidents have hosted inauguration concerts and gatherings on the memorial’s steps, any event meant to draw an audience inside the interior near Daniel Chester French’s sculpture of a seated Lincoln is prohibited. The area beginning with the marble staircase where the columns start constitutes a boundary protected by federal law.

So on Sunday, when the president sat down with two Fox News anchors at Lincoln’s marbled feet during a coronavirus-focused virtual “town hall,” it was because a directive issued by David Bernhardt, the secretary of the interior, had allowed them to do so.

Mr. Bernhardt, a former oil lobbyist whose Senate nomination was contested by Democrats who pointed to multiple accusations of conflicts of interest and ethical violations, ordered the memorial temporarily closed for the event, citing the coronavirus.

“Given the extraordinary crisis that the American people have endured, and the need for the president to exercise a core governmental function to address the nation about an ongoing public-health crisis,” Mr. Bernhardt wrote in an order issued Friday, “I am exercising my authority to facilitate the opportunity for the president to conduct this address within the Lincoln Memorial.”

The directive surprised officials at the National Park Service, who are used to scrambling to fill requests from the Trump White House, including making sure Army tanks can safely be parked on the National Mall, as they had to do last summer for an Independence Day celebration the president presided over using the Lincoln Memorial as a backdrop.

What country do you live in? Thats terrible. Because if you are making up shit about America a simple Google search proves you wildly incorrect.

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:
2 hours ago, RayDog said:

What country do you live in? Thats terrible. Because if you are making up shit about America a simple Google search proves you wildly incorrect.

Well, considering he's in the Philippines, he may not be so off-base.

2 hours ago, RayDog said:

Also bar girl physical maturity appears to run about a 14 year old level if we judge by your accounts. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

How many times did you change your mask last week?

4 minutes ago, markstanco said:

What about you last year? Did you wear a mask to protect others from getting Pneumonia? I absolutely know you didn't.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Pneumonia killed almost 30k more this year and infinitely more last year.

Facts are fun arent they?

Viral pneumonia or bacterial pneumonia? I get a pneumonia vaccine every year per my doctor's orders.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Good thing about that, the unvaccinated are the ones getting COVID.

Bacterial and typical Viral Pneumonia's aren't nearly as contagious as C19.  And almost nobody with either is walking around and asymptomatic - like the main issue with C19 spread.  So what is your point? 
You are a doc and know way more than me on this. My point? Do you think destruction of a global economy was worth it? For something like the the flu or Pneumonia that happens yearly?

Viral pneumonia or bacterial pneumonia? I get a pneumonia vaccine every year per my doctor's orders.

Vaccine works against the viral. Bacterial not. Saw something earlier that over 50% of the deaths of covid are from secondary bacterial pneumonia that explodes upon a weakened immune system. Bacterial pneumonia deaths were huge factor for death totals with Spanish flu combined with antibiotics not being created until 1928

24 minutes ago, markstanco said:

What about you last year? Did you wear a mask to protect others from getting Pneumonia? I absolutely know you didn't.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Pneumonia killed almost 30k more this year and infinitely more last year.

Facts are fun arent they?

You want to bet? My job deals with lots of particulate matter. Sometimes it's chemicals that will make you bleed from your eyes. He's a doctor. Or at least claims to be. Says there's plenty of PPE, but likes to reuse his mask. If I go in the store I'll throw on the bandana. 

How about you hoss?

I missed that infinitely more part. If an infinite number of people died last year then why am I still here? 

Facts be damned. You don't give a shit about sneezing all over the buffet do you? 

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Like 1

Just now, babysdaddy said:

Vaccine works against the viral. Bacterial not. Saw something earlier that over 50% of the deaths of covid are from secondary bacterial pneumonia that explodes upon a weakened immune system. Bacterial pneumonia deaths were huge factor for death totals with Spanish flu combined with antibiotics not being created until 1928

I believe that one can also acquire (aside from having the virus and/or its related pneumonia) pneumonia from being on a ventilator.

You want to bet? My job deals with lots of particulate matter. Sometimes it's chemicals that will make you bleed from your eyes. He's a doctor. Or at least claims to be. Says there's plenty of PPE, but likes to reuse his mask. If I go in the store I'll throw on the bandana. 
How about you hoss?
How many years have you been wearing face protection in the grocery store, hoss.

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:
18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:
Bacterial and typical Viral Pneumonia's aren't nearly as contagious as C19.  And almost nobody with either is walking around and asymptomatic - like the main issue with C19 spread.  So what is your point? 

You are a doc and know way more than me on this. My point? Do you think destruction of a global economy was worth it? For something like the the flu or Pneumonia that happens yearly?

There’s a fine line.  I agree and want to open up.  None of us knows where that line is.  Reality is blindly opening like Georgia wasn’t smart.  At least Texas seemed somewhat measured.  

And yes I think the total shutdown was worth it.  Zero doubt.  Because a few hundred thousand more would have died if you did nothing.  And the entire hospital system in many major metros works have collapsed.  

The question is what now?  When to open?  Your random pneumonia comparison made no sense to me.  That’s all.  

• Like 2

Just now, GRHorn said:

Once a day. Just like the last 6 weeks. 

1 minute ago, markstanco said:
8 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:
How about you hoss?

How many years have you been wearing face protection in the grocery store, hoss.

Try again. I shop at the grocery store same as you. If I worked there I'd have a proper mask. Come on down to the dirt and I'll send you out with a backpack full of restricted chems you can't buy.

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Once a day. Just like the last 6 weeks. 

Well, that's a step in the right direction. Did we shame you into it? I can go get your quotes from earlier. You're going to stick with this I suppose. 

21 minutes ago, markstanco said:
29 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Not only are you arguing from a false premise you are presenting your argument to a fucking medical doctor.

Stop drinking and go to bed.

There’s a fine line.  I agree and want to open up.  None of us knows where that line is.  Reality is blindly opening like Georgia wasn’t smart.  At least Texas seemed somewhat measured.  
And yes I think the total shutdown was worth it.  Zero doubt.  Because a few hundred thousand more would have died if you did nothing.  And the entire hospital system in many major metros works have collapsed.  

The question is what now?  When to open?  Your random pneumonia comparison made no sense to me.  That’s all.  

Here is where we agree(I think this is your point) If we would have went life as usual would it be similar death tolls or way more? What is way more? 3 million or 30,000? Is 3 million deaths worth a stay at home? Yes. 30k and destroying an economy? No, sadly it isn't. There actually is a price on things.

5 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Try again. I shop at the grocery store same as you. If I worked there I'd have a proper mask. Come on down to the dirt and I'll send you out with a backpack full of restricted chems you can't buy.

Well, that's a step in the right direction. Did we shame you into it? I can go get your quotes from earlier. You're going to stick with this I suppose. 

What are talking about? I wear the same mask all day. Take it off and count the number of uses. I use them each 5 days. That’s what I’ve always said. 

Hospitals do offer fresh N95s to OR staff each day though.