CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Not sure exactly what you think you are arguing against, but I mention "local government" specifically in my response. 

You guys should really stop knee jerk strawmanning  to everything.

If you had comprehended what was written you might have noticed he was speaking about a virus that doesn't observe boundaries.  Thus local government doesn't work so well addressing the issues that spring from it. 

I know you want to be a brilliant conversationalist and all, but that looks to be a bridge too far.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

If 100 percent compliance or close to it were achieved by the people then it would be a lot easier to perform the economic reopening under these conditions. Having half the country be complete idiots makes any attempt at an economic reopening almost certainly doomed to failure. Especially when the testing/tracing/quarantine procedures aren't put in place. 

Adherence to universal proper safety protocols and opening up businesses in a safe manner aren't mutually exclusive. 

I agree.  I very strongly believe that everyone should wear masks in public places, not touch their face nor pick their nose, wash their hands, use hand sanitizer, etc. It's common sense, and I am not opposed to shaming of people who do not do those things. I also recognize that you are never going to get 100% compliance to anything.

1 minute ago, Bullneck said:

If you had comprehended what was written you might have noticed he was speaking about a virus that doesn't observe boundaries.  Thus local government doesn't work so well addressing the issues that spring from it. 

I know you want to be a brilliant conversationalist and all, but that looks to be a bridge too far.

Sorry dipshit.  I read it fast, and misread the intention.

Unlike what brisket tries to box me in with, I have never advocated a "local-only" approach to response.  

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I agree.  I very strongly believe that everyone should wear masks in public places, not touch their face nor pick their nose, wash their hands, use hand sanitizer, etc. It's common sense, and I am not opposed to shaming of people who do not do those things. I also recognize that you are never going to get 100% compliance to anything.

If seat belt compliance can be forced then In times of disaster this compliance should be forced.

Edited by Wanker Bob

2 hours ago, DigDug said:

Considering they just blew a guys head off for trying to keep store patrons safe, I would say thugs or pieces of shit would be pretty accurate.

Both descriptions will do. 

27 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Republicans not only accept, but are absolutely proud of Trump's, and their own fundamental and pathological dishonesty.

I think this is kinda true. They take pride in knowing they are getting away with shit that would never have stood in a different time. 

I'm just going to assume that this is being celebrated by some in our country.

https://this.kiji.is/630113317836637281?c=592622757532812385

A man was spotted wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood in a Vons in the San Diego County city of Santee on Saturday, igniting outrage from the mayor, the head of the Anti-Defamation League in San Diego and others.

A corporate spokeswoman said grocery clerks repeatedly asked the shopper to remove the hood or leave the store, located on Mission Gorge Road.

1619841-origin_1.jpg

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

What a dumb fuck.  Theologically a much better argument is made that the "sacrifice" of wearing a mask to prevent spread to the most vulnerable among us is a much better way to worship the image of god in each other. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

If seat belt compliance can be forced then In times of disaster this compliance should be forced.

I don't love the idea of cops going around writing tickets, but would tolerate citations or other similar measures under the circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't love the idea of cops going around writing tickets, but would tolerate citations or other similar measures under the circumstances.

I’m tempted to get a squirt bottle full of water, write Covid 19 on it in big bold letters, and spray anyone who isn’t wearing a mask in the face.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m tempted to get a squirt bottle full of water, write Covid 19 on it in big bold letters, and spray anyone who isn’t wearing a mask in the face.

Public shaming should be allowed, if not encouraged. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

The objective reality is that the data that the twatter shared are completely useless to supporting the assertion accompanying the twat.  Sorry for pointing that out. 

Weird . . . your reply is in ghost text for me.  Do we now have partial preemptive ignore feature happening?

44 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Sorry dipshit.  I read it fast, and misread the intention.

Unlike what brisket tries to box me in with, I have never advocated a "local-only" approach to response.  

That must have stung.

Hey, on the mask 'in public' thing.  Not really a political angle, just asking here as I've given up on the other thread.

Would you personally include "in public" to be things like walking/biking trails?  Or say, skateboarding through the neighborhood? Or is it more just for when I'm going into a store or picking up food?  

Masks where I'm at are more the rarity than the rule, whatever the answer.  Which brings my follow-up--if nobody around me is wearing a mask, and I'm wearing a non-N95 (or what not) mask, am I doing myself any good other than maybe not spreading it *if* I am somehow a carrier?

12 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Hey, on the mask 'in public' thing.  Not really a political angle, just asking here as I've given up on the other thread.

Would you personally include "in public" to be things like walking/biking trails?  Or say, skateboarding through the neighborhood? Or is it more just for when I'm going into a store or picking up food?  

Masks where I'm at are more the rarity than the rule, whatever the answer.  Which brings my follow-up--if nobody around me is wearing a mask, and I'm wearing a non-N95 (or what not) mask, am I doing myself any good other than maybe not spreading it *if* I am somehow a carrier?

I don’t wear one when I walk the dogs around the neighborhood. I think it’s more for places where 6 feet or so is harder to do consistently, such as grocery store or convenience store. I haven’t been inside anywhere else in two months. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don’t wear one when I walk the dogs around the neighborhood. I think it’s more for places where 6 feet or so is harder to do consistently, such as grocery store or convenience store. I haven’t been inside anywhere else in two months. 

I carry one with me when we do the dog walk, but that is due to stupid people who like to engage. I have no problem putting it on and glaring at them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

That is my take. I am fine walking around outside without one, though I often have a buff around my neck  which I can turn into a mask if needed.

I think the non-N95 masks do help protect you a little bit. It is not full protection, but better than nothing.

5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Can I ask a random question?  What is the strategy for preventing this from happening again?  Not just this particular virus but going forward, is there even a strategy to deal prevent it?

you mean like some sort of dedicated pandemic response team?  or, maybe, having an office of CDC experts embedded in country? 

i dunno, i don't think those sorts of things are possible. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

OK, so I'm not off base then.  Hopefully.

15 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Can I ask a random question?  What is the strategy for preventing this from happening again?  Not just this particular virus but going forward, is there even a strategy to deal prevent it?

Oh, I don't know.  Maybe spending a bit more of our GDP on potential pandemic issues, and a little less on national defense.  Or, just a wild idea, but bear with me here----the country actually ties in pandemic stuff with national defense spending.  That would be wild.

I'm sure Lockheed would be all over that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

This is what that apparently looks like in NYC.

https://apnews.com/fa0a3f060e3c19d5dfe157e6d880c48c

Bystander video showed the plainclothes officer, who was not wearing a protective face mask, slapping 33-year-old Donni Wright in the face, punching him in the shoulder and dragging him to a sidewalk after leveling him in a crosswalk in Manhattan’s East Village.

25 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

That is my take. I am fine walking around outside without one, though I often have a buff around my neck  which I can turn into a mask if needed.

I think the non-N95 masks do help protect you a little bit. It is not full protection, but better than nothing.

Yep. Buff for me too. 

20 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

There is no way to stop genetic mutation from happening. That's actually a good thing because we wouldn't be here without it. 

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Bystander video showed the plainclothes officer, who was not wearing a protective face mask, slapping 33-year-old Donni Wright in the face, punching him in the shoulder and dragging him to a sidewalk after leveling him in a crosswalk in Manhattan’s East Village.

was he not wearing a mask or was he selling cigs from jersey?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If you haven't been paying attention, this is why all the focus in the DT thread is on nuking China.

24 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It may have to wait since we are diligently working on our national global warming strategies.

18 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't think police abuse is good reason to not have laws or not enforce them. We should have laws, enforce them using reasonable means, and take actions to prevent/punish abuse. 

Edited by Dahobbs

I find it interesting that I live in a country where the average IQ is around 85, the average person has a 6th grade education to a 2nd or 3rd grade US level, and the emotional and intellectual maturity of a 14 year old, and yet, they are doing a much better job responding to this pandemic than Republicans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't think police abuse is good reason to not have laws or not enforce them. We should have laws, enforce them using reasonable means, and take actions to prevent/punish abuse. 

and NYPD isn't a good example: beating the shit out of people is what they do.

10 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

A fatass wearing cargo pants, a camo shirt and a white KKK hood, while shopping in a grocery store. That photo should go next to trump’s picture on Wikipedia. 

Forgot the Sooner in the background. 

Bunch of performance artist clowns.