Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

10 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Yeah, the market took a beating this week. It’s a good time to buy. 

Go for it.  I tend to go for long term winners and honestly, streaming music is a low margin business.  I get why they are turning to podcasts, just won't put my money  there.

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

My moron joe rogan stoner friend tried to bring up how doctors were making money of of covid earlier and I shut him down real quick.  This is a fairly normal guy most of the time, but when the moment strikes and he is able to launch into bullshit like this, it just shows how this stuff is always just bubbling under the surface with these morons.

This is why I think we are truly fucked.  There are enough "smart" people out there that are able to hide their conspiracy nonsense most of the time, but when it comes down to it, they will pull the lever (if inclined to vote) for some batshit crazy nonsense.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You know Pearl Jam has to be right behind them.  They are a big fish.  When the numbers equal or exceed Rogan, Spotify will cave.

Let’s see one is a middle aged grunge band. The other has 11M listeners and enough cultural pull to have a 34 page CR thread. I can’t wait to see who wins. 

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Let’s see one is a middle aged grunge band. The other has 11M listeners and enough cultural pull to have a 34 page CR thread. I can’t wait to see who wins. 

You may actually be right.  That will say way more about you and your ilk than it does about Pearl Jam fans. 

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

You may actually be right.  That will say way more about you and your ilk than it does about Pearl Jam fans. 

Holy fuck, no shit. I don't give a fuck about Joe Rogan one way or the other, but imagine choosing him over Pearl Jam. Jeremy would be pissed.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is why I think we are truly fucked.  There are enough "smart" people out there that are able to hide their conspiracy nonsense most of the time, but when it comes down to it, they will pull the lever (if inclined to vote) for some batshit crazy nonsense.

These idiots mask this nonsense behind "hey I'm just asking questions" or "people are talking about this, and asking questions" like when Rogan was doing the Apollo truther bullshit, and people pointed out to him that if we had faked it, the Soviets would have made damn sure everybody knew.  These types are probably on the road to Holocaust denial, and you will end up having to point out to them that the German government has never denied the Holocaust and still pays out reparations to this day.

But I gotta admit, Rogan has these "just asking questions" idiots dialed in.

And the reason why they are "just asking questions" is because they are too chickenshit to straight up publicly declare that they support whatever stupid fucking conspiracy theories" they are "just asking questions" about, and they don't believe they can rationally defend it.

But that brings up another point - when they are too chickenshit to support a conspiracy theory, but think that they should be asking questions about it, that at least tells you that on some level, consciously or subconsciously, they know there is a decent chance that the conspiracy theory is bullshit, and they are afraid of being mocked for it. At the very least, they recognize that if they straight-up say they believe it, that they think their argument will get destroyed by you or somebody else. They are just trying to hedge their bets.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I think one reason people are susceptible to crazy covid bullshit is the abuse that pharma, and to a lesser extent medicine more broadly, has heaped on the American people for so long.

That is, otherwise quite sane people are skeptical of what pharma peddles, how doctors subscribe to what pharma peddles (i.e. the opioid crisis, but many smaller scandals), and the ever-changing general advice from the medical community. That skepticism is not wholly unjustified.

A lot of this crap feeds into that and becomes a full-blown conspiracy theory.

I would guess that more people without prior tendencies to subscribe to conspiracy theories have subscribed to this particular one.  And then there are the general-purpose conspiracy nuts, and voila, here we are.

• Like 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

I think one reason people are susceptible to crazy covid bullshit is the abuse that pharma, and to a lesser extent medicine more broadly, has heaped on the American people for so long.

That is, otherwise quite sane people are skeptical of what pharma peddles, how doctors subscribe to what pharma peddles (i.e. the opioid crisis, but many smaller scandals), and the ever-changing general advice from the medical community. That skepticism is not wholly unjustified.

I would guess that more people without prior tendencies to subscribe to conspiracy theories have subscribed to this particular one.  And then there are the general-purpose conspiracy nuts, and voila, here we are.

My Gf has been sick. I took her yesterday for a COVID test.  He idiot son, who literally has fought in pro MMA fights (Bellator) said to her "if you got tested, you're sure to be positive.  They say everybody is positive to fake the numbers".  Yep, he's a big Rogan guy. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's not wholly unjustified, but it's also the realm of the dumbest motherfuckers amongst us.  I come from and married into a medical family, so I'm biased as fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It's not wholly unjustified, but it's also the realm of the dumbest motherfuckers amongst us.  I come from and married into a medical family, so I'm biased as fuck.

Well, yeah, militant stupidity is all the rage these days.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Counterpoint: A lot of these folks know somebody who has died from COVID, and if they thought about it for a moment, the number of people they have known who died from COVID, even if that was only 1 or 2 people, is probably greater than the number of people they know who have died from the flu.  

Hell, even if they didn't know anybody personally who died from COVID, it's easy to pop out a list of celebrities who died from it, and that list of COVID deaths is going to be far larger than the number of celebrities they know of who died from the flu.

So they can be skeptical all they want, but most of them know somebody personally who died from it, or they have friends/in-laws/etc. who have lost relatives from it.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

So why are they asserting that hydroxychloroquine, which is made by Sanofi, and Ivermectin, which is made by Merck, are valid treatments for COVID? I mean you couldn’t have picked two medications that are more Big Pharma than those. Mere skepticism doesn’t drive that kind of idiocy. That’s driven by an overconfidence in an ability they do not actually possess. “Everyone in the CDC is wrong, but I’m not!”

Again, it’s not so much the skepticism, it’s their idiotic alternative suggestions. It’s not enough to cast doubt on what mainstream medical communities are recommending. To actually prove they’re wrong, you also have to suggest valid alternatives, and they fail rather spectacularly at that. The whole entire premise behind what they’re saying is the ugly cousin of the God of the gaps fallacy: “I don’t believe science provided by Big Pharma, therefore magic (which again is also attributed to Big Pharma)”

And again, I mean no disrespect to you directly, but it’s been my observation that lawyers are the hardest peddlers of this Ivermectin/hydroxychloroquine/anti-vaccine drivel. But regardless of their actual profession, the output is the same: they are cosplaying doctors and medical professionals in general. You cannot justify skepticism with make believe and demand respect for such positions.

Science basically works like a game of king of the hill. Something assumes the role of king, and everyone else has the absolute right to, within certain guidelines, knock it off and if they succeed, they’re the new “king” unless and until someone else knocks them off. Much as the Joe Bros want to believe it, Ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine haven’t even come close to knocking off monoclonals. Vaccination has never come close to being knocked of by non-vaccination. You don’t win king of the hill by declaring yourself king from the bottom of the fucking hill.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Understandable, but more often than not they're the very free market voters that make those big pharma abuses more likely than less. 

"We’re currently getting a lot of contacts so may be slow to respond,” a large red banner has read on the support page. Options to message the company, which have previously included live chat with a customer support agent or a chat bot, are now limited to an email address link."

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/01/spotify-support-buckles-under-complaints-from-angry-neil-young-fans/

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bravo said:

FYI those 2 drugs you mentioned are generic and can be produced by any company. They're not super profitable branded drugs anymore. 

…which is why most companies don’t allocate manufacturing resources to produce them. If they did have value for something like Covid, you’d see smaller generics makers jumping on board and the price would rise, as happens with the free market- until supply caught up. Just like with nitrile gloves, n95 masks, and hand sanitizer 2 years ago. 

Quite besides the point, but you knew that.
You also know that nearly a year ago, Merck issued a statement about it https://www.merck.com/news/merck-statement-on-ivermectin-use-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/
Merck (NYSE: MRK), known as MSD outside the United States and Canada, today affirmed its position regarding use of ivermectin during the COVID-19 pandemic. Company scientists continue to carefully examine the findings of all available and emerging studies of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19 for evidence of efficacy and safety. It is important to note that, to-date, our analysis has identified:
No scientific basis for a potential therapeutic effect against COVID-19 from pre-clinical studies; 
No meaningful evidence for clinical activity or clinical efficacy in patients with COVID-19 disease, and; 
A concerning lack of safety data in the majority of studies.”
So they called bullshit on uses of their own product for those purposes, but that’s…what, ok because any company can make a generic?
You do realize that while there are some small differences between name brands and generics, the active ingredients are the same and definitely not different to the point where the name brand is telling you “do not use this drug for that purpose” while the generic can be telling you “no, you can.”
And if that wasn’t your contention, I’m not sure what your point is. 
To repeat, those medications were brought into the mainstream by two major pharmaceutical companies. They are not holistic alternatives to western medicine, and pointing out that generics exists literally does nothing to change that. My whole point with that was to show that wagging the illusory “follow us or you’re just sheeple who just blindly follows Big Pharma” stick and carrot is a stupid person’s idea of a smart thing to say.

And generic companies, while much of the time produces cheaper to the consumer products, are just as predatory and a part of “Big Pharma” as the Mercks and Pfizers of the world.

19 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

And generic companies, while much of the time produces cheaper to the consumer products, are just as predatory and a part of “Big Pharma” as the Mercks and Pfizers of the world.

Generic companies are more predatory. They don’t invest in r&d, they wait for patent expirations and then undercut the company that spent the time and money on drug development. At least until they make enough of a profit and get greedy enough that they can start funding some research because they want their own patented drugs with the high margins.  

but, if they do end up with some valuable IP it’s just as likely as not that Pfizer or another giant buys them up to gain control of the IP.  I saw that while working with hospira.  Main product was IV, had the large market share, developed some biosimilars, Pfizer noticed, bought them, kept the innovative IP, parted out the rest.  The IV operation went to a competitor, IC medical I believe. 

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Snowball effect coming. Bigger and Bigger names will join. Secretly I bet some will enjoy doing it because Spotify doesn’t pay shit to these artists. 

this is exactly what I've been thinking. it's not just about Rogan and his covidiocy, many big artists think Spotify sucks for old school music business reasons as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1