Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

Hmm. I mean context does matter when it comes to language.

Many years ago I worked as a recording engineer. I recorded and mixed a lot of hip hop. Many artists wanted multiple edits of a song, such as a radio edit with no offensive language. I would often say the n word while editing and mixing with the artists and producers (all black). They didn’t care. I am willing to give Rogan a pass.

But not for the planet of the apes comment or the COVID bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

I will say this about white comedians. I mean, comedians in general HATE that they can’t say XYZ because it’s taboo. In fact, it makes them want to say it more. There are BIG names in the comedy world that would drop the N word in their acts either to illustrate some point about language, in a funny way, but deep down you know they were doing it because they think it’s absurd they can’t use a word. And not a long time ago either. I remember Louis CK used to do it for sure. 

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Many years ago I worked as a recording engineer. I recorded and mixed a lot of hip hop. Many artists wanted multiple edits of a song, such as a radio edit with no offensive language. I would often say the n word while editing and mixing with the artists and producers (all black). They didn’t care. I am willing to give Rogan a pass.

He said it in context, but the frequency of his use of the word suggests that he’s intentionally steering conversations that direction because he enjoys saying it. It’s very Tarantino of him.

He said it in context, but the frequency of his use of the word suggests that he’s intentionally steering conversations that direction because he enjoys saying it. It’s very Tarantino of him.

I haven’t watched the compilation clip of him saying it, so I don’t know all the context. However, in the apology, saying the title of an album that contains the word is fine by me and is proper context. Hell, Jello Biafra using the word in Holiday in Cambodia is appropriate context (in my view). I was just taking his face value comment about context as true.

17 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I haven’t watched the compilation clip of him saying it, so I don’t know all the context. However, in the apology, saying the title of an album that contains the word is fine by me and is proper context. Hell, Jello Biafra using the word in Holiday in Cambodia is appropriate context (in my view). I was just taking his face value comment about context as true.

Here you go, 30 second video 

https://streamable.com/6wom91

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

denzel washington GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I will say this about white comedians. I mean, comedians in general HATE that they can’t say XYZ because it’s taboo. In fact, it makes them want to say it more. There are BIG names in the comedy world that would drop the N word in their acts either to illustrate some point about language, in a funny way, but deep down you know they were doing it because they think it’s absurd they can’t use a word. And not a long time ago either. I remember Louis CK used to do it for sure. 

Go back farther kid, re the use of the N word.  Think it was Bruce had some powerful stuff.  Maybe Carlin,  but think it was Bruce.  No fucking way it's findable anymore.  

14 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I agree. Well with that specific clip. I remember him using it in a another couple of bits, but it was in similar vein as that clip

There’s another bit where Louie talks about Mark Twain and his character N***** Jim, then segues into a story where a friend is distressed by his family’s repeated use of the N word in a story about a forklift operator who fell asleep on the job, and Louie uses the word multiple times. I thought both bits were well-crafted and delivered, but I know most people find any use of that word to be “problematic” in any context. 

7 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Go back farther kid, re the use of the N word.  Think it was Bruce had some powerful stuff.  Maybe Carlin,  but think it was Bruce.  No fucking way it's findable anymore.  

Spoiler

Are there any niggers here tonight? Could you turn on the house lights, please, and could the waiters and waitresses just stop serving, just for a second? And turn off this spot. Now what did he say? "Are there any niggers here tonight?" I know there's one nigger, because I see him back there working. Let's see, there's two niggers. And between those two niggers sits a kike. And there's another kike— that's two kikes and three niggers. And there's a spic. Right? Hmm? There's another spic. Ooh, there's a wop; there's a polack; and, oh, a couple of greaseballs. And there's three lace-curtain Irish micks. And there's one, hip, thick, hunky, funky, boogie. Boogie boogie. Mm-hmm. I got three kikes here, do I hear five kikes? I got five kikes, do I hear six spics, I got six spics, do I hear seven niggers? I got seven niggers. Sold American. I pass with seven niggers, six spics, five micks, four kikes, three guineas, and one wop. Well, I was just trying to make a point, and that is that it's the suppression of the word that gives it the power, the violence, the viciousness. Dig: if President Kennedy would just go on television, and say, "I would like to introduce you to all the niggers in my cabinet," and if he'd just say "nigger nigger nigger nigger nigger" to every nigger he saw, "boogie boogie boogie boogie boogie," "nigger nigger nigger nigger nigger" 'til nigger didn't mean anything anymore, then you could never make some six-year-old black kid cry because somebody called him a nigger at school.

My bad.  From the movie about Bruce with Hoffman. 

11 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

There’s another bit where Louie talks about Mark Twain and his character N***** Jim, then segues into a story where a friend is distressed by his family’s repeated use of the N word in a story about a forklift operator who fell asleep on the job, and Louie uses the word multiple times. I thought both bits were well-crafted and delivered, but I know most people find any use of that word to be “problematic” in any context. 

Hahaha that bit is fucking gold

Talking about it is one thing. Saying it and meaning it in a pejorative sense are different things. It’s really easy to tell the difference between people who talk about the word and racist white people who complain that they can’t use the word while others can. Because they just don’t understand that the fact that they think black people are inferior to white people is what makes them racists. It’s not about the words we use. It’s that the way we use them, or don’t use them, reflect what we really think.

People are people. They don’t get that. It’s not about the word we use, it’s what we know. It’s what we understand. People are people. And you dumbfuck redneck white klansmen are no better than the red, brown, yellow, or black person living next door. Nor the white ones who aren’t ignorant uneducated dumbfucks like you, either.

We are all the same. Our differences are to be celebrated and shared, and laughed at from time to time because life is a comedy as much as it’s serious business.

I’m constantly tempted to post Frank Zappa songs here and almost never do. I must have had a link to Jesus Thinks You’re A Jerk copied and ready to post a dozen times in the last week alone and never bothered. I haven’t started a Zappa thread in the music board because it would be too political and, honestly, I can go to Zappateers to discuss Zappa with other Zappa freaks. I feel like anything I can do here in that regard would just be a ministry, not that there’s anything wrong with that, per se, so I will go ahead and share this here:

(There’s just so much more going on in that song than you probably realize, like references to other songs, that you probably don’t get. If I’m going to take even a minute to minister about Zappa then I should tell you that you can spend hundreds of hours exploring his art and that time wouldn’t be wasted.)

23 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Now we're going after Rogan for quoting someone who said the N word? Thankfully we have a President who would never use that kind of language, especially on CSPAN in the Senate chambers

You can always count on Greenwald to conflate defense of Rogan for COVID misinformation and the attempted smear of Rogan for out of context n-word comments (although that Planet of the Apes shit was way out of line).  

Greenwald is, after all, the guy that has defended Julian Assange for basically everything, so sure let's take our cues from him.  He's zerohedge for fascists.

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, not a big deal. 

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

I agree. Well with that specific clip. I remember him using it in a another couple of bits, but it was in similar vein as that clip

3 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

I agree it’s well crated, but that’s the point. He created that bit so he could say the n word without getting in trouble for it. I also agree that Rogan’s use is on a different level, specifically the Planet of Apes comment. But why does Louis CK need to say the full word? It’s not necessary for the joke to work. 

Why is LCK’s use not a big deal? Why does he get a pass? Because he did not mean it maliciously? 

As for the Biden clip, it was 40 years ago and he was reading a quote to show people were being racists. Not the same thing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Why is LCK’s use not a big deal? Why does he get a pass? Because he did not mean it maliciously? 

I’m assuming so. What’s the rules for Tarantino? He’s been blasting that shit in his movies since Reservoir Dogs

Digging up old bits and times Rogan was quoting someone else using the N word is pretty fucking lame, but holy fucking shit using Glenn Greenwald as your "voice of reason." Some of these posters' bookmarks have to be a who's who of shittastic losers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

(although that Planet of the Apes shit was way out of line).  

I'm honestly surprised that it's gotten as little play as it has.  Yeah, him dropping the N-word at various times in various contexts, people can debate that all day long, but the Planet of the Apes/Africa comment when talking about a Black neighborhood, even if the movie they were going to see was Planet of the Apes, there's not a lot of ambiguity there.  And he was old enough to have known better.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I agree it’s well crated, but that’s the point. He created that bit so he could say the n word without getting in trouble for it. I also agree that Rogan’s use is on a different level, specifically the Planet of Apes comment. But why does Louis CK need to say the full word? It’s not necessary for the joke to work. 

As for the Biden clip, it was 40 years ago and he was reading a quote to show people were being racists. Not the same thing.

LCK has really got to be concerned about what this can do to his reputation!

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nah, the Right loves their cancel culture these days.

Jokes aside, he should have been publicly called out for the Planet of the Apes stuff long ago.  That's some pretty heinous shit.

the cancel thing is stupid and cuts both ways.

this weekend whoopi goldberg was put under the scalpel for saying “the holocaust wasnt about race because jews were white”.  people wanted her canceled on grounds of racism and anti-semitism. 

what she said could be painted as foolish, sloppy, ignorant, imprecise, un-PC….but theres no maliciousness or race-superiority in the intent, or any ever in her personal history to suggest that. 

sensibility is gone and the threshold for getting offended is too fucking low

• Hook 'Em 3

I wouldn’t lose one minute of sleep if Joe Rogan never recorded another podcast again but there is something disturbing about the release of this clip and the timing over the controversy of his vaccine comments. Of all of the criticisms of him, has anyone who knows or worked with him ever said he was racist? 

32 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

sensibility is gone and the threshold for getting offended is too fucking low

Are you honestly surprised?  We just had a President who spent four years on twitter getting offended over stupid shit on a near-daily basis, and tens of millions of people loved him for it.  

Think about that for a moment: tens of millions of Republicans thought it was perfectly normal that Trump would sit around and tweet about every stupid little thing that offended him, and they weren't embarrassed about it at all.

Hell, he's still getting offended on nearly a daily basis here in 2022 and putting out "official statements" on his https://www.donaldjtrump.com/news blog (and Liz Harrington's twitter account) that are nothing more than his airing of grievances over stupid shit.

You want a low threshold, Trump has publicly stated he'd be fine with the Republicans that offended him being booted out of Congress, even if it meant Democrats replaced them.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I wouldn’t lose one minute of sleep if Joe Rogan never recorded another podcast again but there is something disturbing about the release of this clip and the timing over the controversy of his vaccine comments. Of all of the criticisms of him, has anyone who knows or worked with him ever said he was racist? 

Because its not really about his character - of which there are 5000 hours of recorded material to credibly portray - but just about the mob wanting blood on their pitchforks 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Are you honestly surprised?  We just had a President who spent four years on twitter getting offended over stupid shit on a near-daily basis, and tens of millions of people loved him for it.  

Think about that for a moment: tens of millions of Republicans thought it was perfectly normal that Trump would sit around and tweet about every stupid little thing that offended him, and they weren't embarrassed about it at all.

Many more millions globally loved the hilarity of his broadcasting his lunacy in real-time out into the world. 

They took this away from us (tm) :(

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Digging up old bits and times Rogan was quoting someone else using the N word is pretty fucking lame, but holy fucking shit using Glenn Greenwald as your "voice of reason." Some of these posters' bookmarks have to be a who's who of shittastic losers.

From a group of motherfuckers who circle jerked for four years about Trump Russia collusion and gave Hugo Stilitz 30,000 pos reps.  You sumbitches are everything you accuse others of being.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

From a group of motherfuckers who circle jerked for four years about Trump Russia collusion and gave Hugo Stilitz 30,000 pos reps.  You sumbitches are everything you accuse others of being.

45 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Also, find me one post that I've ever made about Russia being a worthwhile investigation. In fact, find a single post of mine in the shaggy or surly cloak rooms pre-Nov 4, 2020. Hint: you won't. Fuck your lazy ass for lumping me in with Hugo because it's convenient, and "But Russia!" is literally the only excuse that you shit heels have left to play to ignore the smoldering ruin of detestable morons that the GOP has become.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

So….I mean…..WHAT IN THE BLUE FUCK WAS THAT?

Rogan is nodding along with a dude peddling the “black people are innately more violent cuz genetics” bullshit? WTF?

Also, that’s one that has particularly cracked me up ever since I first heard about it. Hundreds of millions of dead white Europeans, slaughtered in centuries of constant warfare and violence, would like to quibble with any “black people are innately more violent than white people” claim. It’s not that it’s obvious racist bullshit, it’s that it’s fucking dumb bullshit that runs counter to millennia of evidence (because the Romans aren’t to keen on giving up their claim to the title either).

• Haha 1