Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

Don't listen to him that much unless an interesting guest is on, but the guy is:

Pro-Choice, universal healthcare & college, UBI, drug legalization, ending the drug war, anti-war, prison & police reform, etc. That puts him far to the left of the sitting president & most Democrats. 

Edited by Caponata

3 minutes ago, Caponata said:

Don't listen to him that much unless an interesting guest is on, but the guy is:

Pro-Choice, universal healthcare & college, UBI, drug legalization, ending the drug war, anti-war, prison & police reform, etc. That puts him far to the left of the sitting president & most Democrats. 

You sure that’s not the Democratic platform?

or rather, if that is left of most democrats then why are democrats the devil?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

13 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I heard him talk a few times and he seemed like he was correct from time to time.  But the fame and money made him think he was somehow smarter and more informed than others.   

3 minutes ago, Caponata said:

Far too often, he is whatever his current guest is.  If it's a liberal, he's a liberal.  If it's some dipshit pushing a right-wing view, he's agreeing with a right-wing view.  

2 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Am I the only American to have never listened to a podcast?  I’m not even sure on how to even access one of them.  

What a podcast is these days is pretty blurry - people consider Rogan's old shows that are/were on YouTube to be podcasts, since it's just video of him doing his podcast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I've never watched his show. If this is typical, he's a sack of shit. He's the swaggering, drooling voice of the anti-intellectual. I honestly don't know how anyone could listen to such a jerk.

So, never been to the United States?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I guess. I think they mainly chased the dollar signs and didn't consider something like this happening. 

They maybe SHOULD have foreseen it - just not sure they did. 

If they dropped $100 million without vetting his old stuff, then it's on them.

The problem for Spotify/him, is that in a pandemic, he started giving platforms to people who were pushing stuff that was harmful/making the pandemic worse/etc. People who had never listened to him either started listening to him and taking the advice of those on his show, or they realized he was pushing stupid shit and started digging into his background to see what kind of person he actually is.

The moon landing bullshit, the support of Alex Jones, etc. were huge red flags, but were easy to ignore. If this were 2019 and he was pushing fucking horse paste in place of Tamiflu or whatever for somebody with the flu, nobody gives a shit and he's laughed at for being a fucking moron.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Caponata said:

I'm all of those things and more! But you know what I'm not? Enough of a hollow-brained elk eater to invite alt-right white nationalists and straight up racists like Gavin McInnes, Stefan Molyneux, Milo Yiannolopoulos, Steven Crowder, Chuck Johnson, Jordan Peterson etc MULTIPLE TIMES for three hours plus of nodding discussion into my podcast studio to show the world what a truly open-minded liberal intellectual I am.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I'm all of those things and more! But you know what I'm not? Enough of a hollow-brained elk eater to invite alt-right white nationalists and straight up racists like Gavin McInnes, Stefan Molyneux, Milo Yiannolopoulos, Steven Crowder, Chuck Johnson, Jordan Peterson etc MULTIPLE TIMES for three hours plus of nodding discussion into my podcast studio to show the world what a truly open-minded liberal intellectual I am.

Gavin McInnes is not the only one in that group that has shoved a dildo up his ass to own the libs.

prove me wrong gordon ramsay GIF by MasterChef Junior

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Listen to how he handles the call from the female PhD primatologist - it’s a short clip above. He shouts her down, calls her names, doesn’t let her speak, and refuses to even allow the OPPORTUNITY to hear facts contrary to what he wants to believe. He’s a bad person. That’s what bad people do. He’s a fucking asshole.

read this comment then listened to that. what an asshole

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Listen to how he handles the call from the female PhD primatologist - it’s a short clip above. He shouts her down, calls her names, doesn’t let her speak, and refuses to even allow the OPPORTUNITY to hear facts contrary to what he wants to believe. He’s a bad person. That’s what bad people do. He’s a fucking asshole.

I'm not here to change anyone's opinion. I know who Joe Rogan is. I think he carries a lot more love in his heart than hate. I also think he's pretty douchey and needs to think for himself a bit more. 

He has certainly gotten himself into a sticky situation. His situation is especially interesting because he made himself extremely transparent through the podcast and then without closing himself off at all acquired a pretty ridiculous level of fame. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Rogan isn't a racist or a bad person - granted he's maybe had people like that on his podcast. He isn't the smartest dude and I think he's a bit naive and detached from certain aspects of society. What he's discovering now, however, is when you have thousands of free flowing, uncut hours of conversation with quite a few loose cannons and nut jobs in the mix there's always going to be stuff that can make you look bad. 

I think the most interesting aspect of this is what Spotify decides to do. They're seemingly going to lose millions of subscribers either way. 

Can you imagine yourself shouting down the primatologist in the way that Rogan did? Often that's how I make a judgment about someone; can I imagine myself doing that? No. 

You could run an uncut tape of me and my friends entire history and not have any of us shouting down someone with name calling and ridicule. There are all sorts of things I wouldn't want quoted, but no behavior like that. I'm sure the same is true for you.

It's an act that he's making millions on. Nothing is making him look bad; we're just seeing what he is. A slightly cunning meathead messiah for the meatheads.

Edit: I see this point has been already made multiple times. Not looking to pile on, z. 

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

Can you imagine yourself shouting down the primatologist in the way that Rogan did? Often that's how I make a judgment about someone; can I imagine myself doing that? No. 
You could run an uncut tape of me and my friends entire history and not have any of us shouting down someone with name calling and ridicule. There are all sorts of things I wouldn't want quoted, but no behavior like that. I'm sure the same is true for you.
It's an act that he's making millions on. Nothing is making him look bad; we're just seeing what he is. A slightly cunning meathead messiah for the meatheads.
Edit: I see this point has been already made multiple times. Not looking to pile on, z. 

Yep.
You know what’s making Joe Rogan look bad? Joe Rogan, and the way he looks/acts. Ztejas, check out the clip I pointed to. That’s just plain old 100% piece of shit asshole. Nobody did that to him. Nobody is mischaracterizing that. That’s just pure, unadulterated Joe being Joe. And Joe is a piece of shit.
If you like that, and like listening to people who engage that way, that PROBABLY means you’re a piece of shit too. Because I’m with Roma; any of my friends behaved that way, we wouldn’t be spending time together anymore. If you choose to spend time with that, your choice of association says things about you that are quite unflattering.

29 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Not really. I will say I think that video was from 17+ years ago as he mentions still hosting fear factor. That behavior is extremely out of character for him and I bet he'd regret it if prodded. 

That said I have seen him be pretty defensive in a pretty rude way at times - but I'm assuming he's mellowed out and matured a lot since then as it seems really out of character. My first thought was that it sounded like it was from a long time ago. 

He may be a sack of shit - he certainly isn't my favorite celebrity. Just never gotten that vibe. There's plenty of times he's impressed me with his demeanor or thoughts on certain subjects. Otherwise I'd not listen to his show at all instead of checking it out occasionally. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

The reason I know he isn’t smart is that he could’ve gotten away with all of the other shit until he became an active participant in politicizing a pandemic and ensuring we will never get past it by spreading lies (not “misinformation” but lies, intentional lies). I otherwise wouldn’t give a single shit what a meat head says on a podcast for other meatheads, including the racist and sexist shit, whatever, I can avoid it. But my family’s mental health and financial security have been significantly affected by the pandemic which we could end with the vaccines. The same fucking way we killed off smallpox and polio. But no, we’ll be mired in this one for the rest of all of our lives because of assholes like him. Fuck him, he’s a bad person, period.

• Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not really. I will say I think that video was from 17+ years ago as he mentions still hosting fear factor. That behavior is extremely out of character for him and I bet he'd regret it if prodded. 

Do you know him personally?

9 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Are you serious? No one here knows him personally. I'm judging his character a lot less than some of you. And I'm guessing some people here are just going off the posted tidbits. 

Anyways - I've shared what I felt like sharing. Y'all can have the CR back. 

Edited by ztejas

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Ah yes, Gavin McInnes, the Proud Boys founder who proudly shoved a dildo up his ass while live-streaming to own the libs.

Also, I only sporadically saw Rogan's stuff on YT, and some of it was definitely entertaining, but when he was entertaining the idea that the Apollo landings were faked, it was then I realized how much of a dumbass he was.

Tbf McInnes has been disovowed by the comic circles he ran with. Remember seeing a video on Twitter him bitching about David Cross & Rogan not answering his calls anymore and that he lost a lot of his friends. The people at Vice said he turned into right wing asshole & basically burned all of his bridges. Well, Bye. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

They listen because we live in a society where being an epic dick isn’t a negative, it’s a badge of honor and something to be emulated. World turned totally upside down.

Joe Rogan is a role model. An anti-intellectual meathead who believes the dumbest shit imaginable, disseminates it, and shouts down anyone with the gall to offer fact-based evidence contrary to his insane viewpoint…..is their hero. We are fucked not because we live in a world where Joe Rogan exists, but because we live in a world where he is a fucking “thought leader” to millions.

This isn't strictly true. I have listened to a lot of his podcasts, but almost exclusively when he has intellectuals on such as astrophysicists, wildlife biologists, etc. Shockingly, when he has them there in person, he does not challenge them when corrected about something, lets them speak on the topic, and just asks questions about things he's interested about. I loved it because it is very difficult to find a long-form conversation with someone like Forrest Galante, for example, outside of a podcast like Rogan's.

Of course, that doesn't happen anymore post-Spotify. It's all comics and/or cranks for the most part. Really disappointing.

Edited by Brian Fantana

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

now take a step back and realize that his behavior in that clip isn't even where all this recent heat is coming from.  it's just backstory.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The reason I know he isn’t smart is that he could’ve gotten away with all of the other shit until he became an active participant in politicizing a pandemic and ensuring we will never get past it by spreading lies (not “misinformation” but lies, intentional lies). I otherwise wouldn’t give a single shit what a meat head says on a podcast for other meatheads, including the racist and sexist shit, whatever, I can avoid it. But my family’s mental health and financial security have been significantly affected by the pandemic which we could end with the vaccines. The same fucking way we killed off smallpox and polio. But no, we’ll be mired in this one for the rest of all of our lives because of assholes like him. Fuck him, he’s a bad person, period.

I think this post says a lot about what's going on.

All of this fuss over a podcast. The only podcasts I listen to are the 30 year old episodes of Car Talk that NPR uploads a few times a week. Click and Clack still hold up with relevant advice, good humor, and enjoyable puzzlers. I wonder how the JRE will sound in 30 years.

• Hook 'Em 8

4 hours ago, Caponata said:

It’s been shown here over and over he’s not a thinker. Why are you surprised his politics follow the same line? 

So the Spotify CEO is having to put out comments on a Sunday night condemning the slurs/etc. but saying "they won't silence him."

Yeah, if the CEO of a billion-dollar company is having to put out comments on a Sunday night concerning what basically amounts to a (highly-paid) employee saying they won't silence him over past comments, but condemning what he's said, there's going to be some kind of leash.

Could Spotify replace Rogan's traffic with another person?  Not a single person, and Rogan knows that.  

Could they find 25 people and pay them $4 million apiece and replace that traffic?  Or 50 people and pay them $2 million apiece and replace it?

That's where it gets interesting.

I think he will survive this, but I'm thinking he will have to back way the fuck off on things like the COVID shit he spouts, and I think he'd better stop trying to be the best friend of most of his guests and start challenging them more when they push stupid shit (like the Black people have a violence gene), and/or have somebody in his earpiece telling them to shut down certain guests.

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think he will survive this, but I'm thinking he will have to back way the fuck off on things like the COVID shit he spouts, and I think he'd better stop trying to be the best friend of most of his guests and start challenging them more when they push stupid shit (like the Black people have a violence gene), and/or have somebody in his earpiece telling them to shut down certain guests.

However, I think there's a 50/50 chance he can't stop being a dumbshit and will let stupid conspiracy shit, etc. from his guests slide, including COVID shit.

fff34747-1d94-475f-b3e0-566b667bdee3_tex

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hpslugga said:

6 hours ago, hpslugga said:

Then it's beyond the scope for you to say that his behavior was "out of character."

Ah, so your point is none of you are qualified to speak about his character either?

By way thousands of hours of recorded conversation there's more material to characterize him than can be done for 99% of other popular figures, but people still get it wrong anyway.  A pretty good tell is something patently stupid as claiming that he "supports Trump"

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Ah, so your point is none of you are qualified to speak about his character either?

You’re really bad at this whole “paying attention” thing.

No one here really gives a shit about his character. He could be a saint, and he could be the biggest piece of shit on this planet. Neither one of those excuses or changes the fact that he peddles misinformation/lies either directly or indirectly via his guests who spew bullshit while he just sits there like a bump on a log saying “hmmm interesting.”

Whether that’s motivated by a shitty character or profit motive or identity politics or whatever really isn’t the point and I’m not about to let myself dabble in that pseudo-psychology falderal. What I judge him on is the output of his show, which contrary to what you believe, is not contestable. He peddles bullshit, and when he doesn’t, his guests peddle bullshit.

People are free to make whatever comments about his character either way, but 1) it’s dishonest to assert baseless speculation as if it were a matter of fact 2) the aforementioned things are exactly what he does. So nice try at that little “gotcha.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

You’re really bad at this whole “paying attention” thing.

No one here really gives a shit about his character. He could be a saint, and he could be the biggest piece of shit on this planet. Neither one of those excuses or changes the fact that he peddles misinformation/lies either directly or indirectly via his guests who spew bullshit while he just sits there like a bump on a log saying “hmmm interesting.”

Whether that’s motivated by a shitty character or profit motive or identity politics or whatever really isn’t the point and I’m not about to let myself dabble in that pseudo-psychology falderal. What I judge him on is the output of his show, which contrary to what you believe, is not contestable. He peddles bullshit, and when he doesn’t, his guests peddle bullshit.

Easily the 2 funniest claims since this thread is rife with attacks on him as a person, and the false equivalents to Trump driven exactly by all of your identity politics.  Some 90 mentions of it.  And why is it even in the CR if it's not politically motivated. 

The most predictable of all the heuristics in the world shown over and over again is "if you dont say something i like, you == trump"

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

And why is it even in the CR if it's not politically motivated. 

Candidly, threads in DT tend to get inflamed once you actually start to talk about the why and not just the what. And you're really tipping your hand with respect to honest good faith discussion when what you've internalized from this thread is "disagree with me, you're trump".

Stop working so hard to be an aggrieved victim. Shit is tired.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Easily the 2 funniest claims since this thread is rife with attacks on him as a person

And what I just told you is that you could strip all that away and it doesn’t detract one bit from the overarching point. Like I said, you’re not very good at this paying attention thing and now you’re grasping at straws to keep the hope for this puny little “gotcha” alive. It’s not working.

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

, and the false equivalents to Trump driven exactly by all of your identity politics. 

1. The word is “equivalence,”

2. My identity politics? That’s….cute.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

At a bare minimum, I mean if you didn't care to write a strongly worded email, who here has at least canceled their Spotify?

It was a pleasure.   Apple Music is a far superior Music quality for a little less money.  I was happy to have the push out the door.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

And what I just told you is that you could strip all that away and it doesn’t detract one bit from the overarching point. Like I said, you’re not very good at this paying attention thing and now you’re grasping at straws to keep the hope for this puny little “gotcha” alive. It’s not working.

1. The word is “equivalence,”

2. My identity politics? That’s….cute.

"all you have is a puny little 'gotcha'" --> "you misspelled a word"! 

very cute!

if you don't like him or his guests, change the channel.  move on.

the saddest thing is you don't have the reflection and honesty to accept that the political rot causes you to harbor reflexive, seething hatred for anything and anyone not aligned with you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

if you don't like him or his guests, change the channel.

I only listen when I come across something that indicates that he said some crazy shit or one of his guests did. I listen to it, and invariably it turns out that he/they did. That’s not even my issue. My issue is that a lot of people such as yourself take this falderal seriously.

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

the saddest thing is you don't have the reflection and honesty

You’re transparently projecting.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

I only listen when I come across something that indicates that he said some crazy shit or one of his guests did. I listen to it, and invariably it turns out that he/they did. That’s not even my issue. My issue is that a lot of people such as yourself take this falderal seriously.

You’re transparently projecting.

= "seething hatred for anything and anyone not aligned with you. "

It took just 1 post for you to prove me right.  Sorry to break it to you, you're gonna be a lot angrier when you realize even more people believe in more things that you agree less with. 

45 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

It was a pleasure.   Apple Music is a far superior Music quality for a little less money.  I was happy to have the push out the door.

I’m back to listening to music I paid for in whatever form: cd, cloud, iTunes, whatever. No more Spotify and haven’t missed it at all.

17 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

= "seething hatred for anything and anyone not aligned with you. "

It has nothing to do with alignment, and if you weren't so caught up in this transparent display of binary thinking and projecting that mentality onto others, you'd have caught onto that. You'd have caught onto the fact that our collective issue with Rogan is that his views on COVID-19 vaccinations, medicinal therapies for COVID-19, etc are flat out wrong to the point where they are dangerous. If people were to heed what he says about it, we'd be in a great deal of trouble and shit's not going to get any better. That has jack shit to do with what "team" he "cheerleads" for. You would know that if you yourself weren't so transparently caught up in that bit of falderal, which is also very likely why you deliberately refuse to address those points that have been put to you multiple times on just this thread. Instead off addressing them, you resort to diverting everything to the make believe side of things, mostly via pretending to be a psychologist, and even on that, avoiding the burden of proof like a vampire avoids garlic. 

If you don't give us a reason to believe you, we have no reason to believe you, and not having a reason to believe you is the best reason not to believe you. So come back when you actually have something worthy of consideration. You've not added anything worthwhile, and until you do, we're moving on.

6 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I’m back to listening to music I paid for in whatever form: cd, cloud, iTunes, whatever. No more Spotify and haven’t missed it at all.

Honestly I never used it, even well before I knew Rogan was on it. Had no need to.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Could Spotify replace Rogan's traffic with another person?  Not a single person, and Rogan knows that.  

Could they find 25 people and pay them $4 million apiece and replace that traffic?  Or 50 people and pay them $2 million apiece and replace it?

That's where it gets interesting.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't know about that.  But I admit not listening enough to know if that is in-character or out-of-character behavior for him.   I have been both kind and not so kind to people sometimes the latter was unwarranted.  

Counterpoint:  you fuck one goat.....

Edited by Nivek

12 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

It has nothing to do with alignment, and if you weren't so caught up in this transparent display of binary thinking and projecting that mentality onto others, you'd have caught onto that. You'd have caught onto the fact that our collective issue with Rogan is that his views on COVID-19 vaccinations, medicinal therapies for COVID-19, etc are flat out wrong to the point where they are dangerous. If people were to heed what he says about it, we'd be in a great deal of trouble and shit's not going to get any better. That has jack shit to do with what "team" he "cheerleads" for. You would know that if you yourself weren't so transparently caught up in that bit of falderal, which is also very likely why you deliberately refuse to address those points that have been put to you multiple times on just this thread. Instead off addressing them, you resort to diverting everything to the make believe side of things, mostly via pretending to be a psychologist, and even on that, avoiding the burden of proof like a vampire avoids garlic. 

If you don't give us a reason to believe you, we have no reason to believe you, and not having a reason to believe you is the best reason not to believe you. So come back when you actually have something worthy of consideration. You've not added anything worthwhile, and until you do, we're moving on.

That sweet, sweet, aroma of the savior complex.  What other persons, topics, and formats, and at what threshold do you deign to be dangerous?  

Don't kid yourself with the moving on stuff.  This is 48 pages of you not moving on, because of your fixation on what other people listen to.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I don't know about that.  But I admit not listening enough to know if that is in-character or out-of-character behavior for him.   I was a shit to a few people on a few occasions in person.  I was insulting and haughty towards them.   

Right, but did you tell someone who was an expert in their field that s/he was a dumbass idiot retard that didn't know what the fuck they were talking about when they clearly did and you clearly didn't? "Asshole" doesn't accurately describe that. That's what I'd call "ultracrepidarians with an attitude."

Edited by hpslugga