Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So….I mean…..WHAT IN THE BLUE FUCK WAS THAT?

Rogan is nodding along with a dude peddling the “black people are innately more violent cuz genetics” bullshit? WTF?

Also, that’s one that has particularly cracked me up ever since I first heard about it. Hundreds of millions of dead white Europeans, slaughtered in centuries of constant warfare and violence, would like to quibble with any “black people are innately more violent than white people” claim. It’s not that it’s obvious racist bullshit, it’s that it’s fucking dumb bullshit that runs counter to millennia of evidence (because the Romans aren’t to keen on giving up their claim to the title either).

"Sound reasonable." - Johnny Sack

Edited by TheRealRonWeaver?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Rogan is nodding along with a dude peddling the “black people are innately more violent cuz genetics” bullshit? WTF?

Also, that’s one that has particularly cracked me up ever since I first heard about it. Hundreds of millions of dead white Europeans, slaughtered in centuries of constant warfare and violence, would like to quibble with any “black people are innately more violent than white people” claim. It’s not that it’s obvious racist bullshit, it’s that it’s fucking dumb bullshit that runs counter to millennia of evidence (because the Romans aren’t to keen on giving up their claim to the title either).

Hey! Joe Rogan doesn't necessarily agree with all of his guests. He just provides them a massive platform to say whatever heinous bullshit they so desire completely unchecked and unchallenged. Lay off!

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Hell, just on a personal level, my ancestors who moved to Virginia from Scotland back in the late 1600’s did it to escape British violence and oppression. So they thought the “red savages” of North America were less violent than the English. But sure, whoever that moron guest of Rogan’s was; go ahead and believe in some make believe and pretend bullshit about Europeans being less violent because “farmers and stuff.” 

Also, a quick Wikipedia search on the MAOA gene shows this.

”Several studies have found differences in the frequency distribution of variants of the MAOApromoter repeat between ethnic groups: 52-59% of African American men,[11][10] 48-62% of Chinese men,[12][10][13][14] 62% of Maori men,[9] 57% of Japanese men,[15] and 33-37% of European men[10][11] carried the 3R allele, while 5.5% of Black men, 0.1% of Caucasian men, and 0.00067% of Asian men carried the 2R allele."

Ok so by this dumbass’ rationale, Chinese and Japanese men should be as or more violent than African Americans.

Except…

“However, a large genome-wide association study has failed to find any large or statistically significant effects of the MAOA gene on aggression.[47] A separate GWAS on antisocial personality disorder likewise did not report a significant effect of MAOA.[48] Another study, while finding effects from a candidate gene search, failed to find any evidence in a large GWAS.[46] A separate analysis of human and rat genome wide association studies, Mandelian randomization studies, and causal pathway analyses likewise failed to reveal robust evidence of MAOA in aggression.[49] This lack of replication is predicted from the known issues of candidate gene research, which can produce many substantial false positives.[50]”

”The effects of MAOA genes on aggression have also been criticized for being heavily overstated.[56]Indeed, the MAOA gene, even in conjunction with childhood adversity, is known to have a very small effect.[57] The vast majority of people with the associated alleles have not committed any violent acts.[58][59]”

So is this what that fuckwad would qualify as “doing your own research?”

Just asking questions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

One of two things is going to happen: either Rogan gives up full editorial control to Spotify for his shows, or they are pulling the plug completely.    Maybe Stormfront can host his podcasts down the road.

Rogan's half hearted apology was the end; you don't make a hostage video like that unless you hope it saves your ass somehow.

13 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Many more millions globally loved the hilarity of his broadcasting his lunacy in real-time out into the world. 

They took this away from us (tm) :(

Correct. Trump and his followers used to think cancel culture was hilarious and loved to take credit for it. 

https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/20/politics/donald-trump-colin-kaepernick/index.html

• Hook 'Em 1

Rogan can call a timeout in his podcast if he wants to. If a guest starts to talk about how a certain group is genetically inclined to be violent (or any negative trait) Rogan doesn’t have to call the guest out. Instead he can toss that person out.

hell, release it with him telling the guy to get out of his studio. It would get more views in that way.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

One of two things is going to happen: either Rogan gives up full editorial control to Spotify for his shows, or they are pulling the plug completely.    Maybe Stormfront can host his podcasts down the road.

Rogan's half hearted apology was the end; you don't make a hostage video like that unless you hope it saves your ass somehow.

I think Spotify is going to end up dumping him.

Correct. Trump and his followers used to think cancel culture was hilarious and loved to take credit for it. 
https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/20/politics/donald-trump-colin-kaepernick/index.html

Like everything else, every accusation is a confession. The MAGAts are all about punishing people for their beliefs, freedom of choice, etc…..until they are applied to them. It is consistent with their view of the rule of law:

They support laws that protect them, but do not bind them (they must be protected from bad beliefs….see book bannings by govt entities. But don’t subject THEM to even market-based consequences for saying awful shit). But for everyone else, there should be laws that bind them, but do not protect them.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I do too, but if he's still with Spotify going forward, there's going to be some Spotify exec and a lawyer or two in the background constantly.  Meaning, his show will no longer appeal to those who have been listening to it.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah this is appearing to be the end game with the highest chance. How many more weeks does Spotify need to have a weekend where Rogan is apologizing for past content. And being a comic, Rogan will have plenty of content that will look bad in news clips or in writing. I disagree when this happens but I also understand that it happens.

most likely Rogan will come out ahead $-wise. He probably has an ironclad agreement and will still get paid. Now there is a decent chance that his show or anything resembling it wouldn’t be allowed. After all, Spotify didn’t just pay him $100m to produce content for Spotify, they also paid him to not produce content for others.  He may not even be allowed to be a guest of another podcast with spotifys permission.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Humans are inherently violent. Domesticated crops and beasts of burden allowed for larger populations and more time to devise new ways to be even more violent, and to kill and be killed in far larger numbers than in Hunter gatherer societies. Dude never read guns germs and steel (or Cain and Abel)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Like everything else, every accusation is a confession. The MAGAts are all about punishing people for their beliefs, freedom of choice, etc…..until they are applied to them.

Hell, they go batshit when anything gives that vague appearance. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read/heard the phrase “freedom of speech” or “first amendment” in connection with fucking Neil Young. It’s absolute insanity.

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It is consistent with their view of the rule of law:

They support laws that protect them, but do not bind them (they must be protected from bad beliefs….see book bannings by govt entities. But don’t subject THEM to even market-based consequences for saying awful shit). But for everyone else, there should be laws that bind them, but do not protect them.

It basically goes like this. They don’t want Original Law or New Law. They want Diet Law: all the rights, none of the responsibilities. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Hundreds of millions of dead white Europeans, slaughtered in centuries of constant warfare and violence, would like to quibble with any “black people are innately more violent than white people” claim.

Things that actually happened: Europeans raided African territory to kidnap and enslaved Africans and conquer (“colonize”) entire swaths of their continent.

White guy: Evolution made Europeans inherently less violent than Africans.

Rogan: Wow that’s amazing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

And to be clear: I’m not saying Rogan is a racist. I’m saying he’s a credulous dummy who falls for obviously stupid bullshit. 

Right and that’s really the overarching theme here: that a person so suggestible to provably false falderal has absolutely no business being in the kind of position he occupies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

This thread has gone full retard.

Your lengthy contributions were basically just "but I really like Joe. You all should like Joe, too. Joe's a comedian. Y'all should enjoy him. I enjoy him."

I recognize that my input is far more inane than that, but it's not like you've shed any new light on the topic. You just seem frustrated that people aren't respecting rogan as much as you do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've been anti-Rogan since probably 2015/6 or so because that's when I remember him validating some of the dumbest and most obvious right-wing talking points  under the rubric of "Social Librul Just Asking Questions" while normalizing people like this piece of shit.

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

And to be clear: I’m not saying Rogan is a racist. I’m saying he’s a credulous dummy who falls for obviously stupid bullshit. 

Yep. I don't think he's a racist. The planet of the apes thing was rugged, though. But he does seem highly influenced by whomever is sitting across from him at the moment. That might be due to a reluctance of wanting his show to devolve into a stale debate format or he might just be easily influenced. I loved his conversations with Paul Stamets. I grew fatigued with it later when it was mostly just him not getting other comedian's jokes and flexing his coyote knowledge. 

8 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Your lengthy contributions were basically just "but I really like Joe. You all should like Joe, too. Joe's a comedian. Y'all should enjoy him. I enjoy him."

I recognize that my input is far more inane than that, but it's not like you've shed any new light on the topic. You just seem frustrated that people aren't respecting rogan as much as you do. 

That's not at all close to a summary of what I said.

I'm frustrated as a progressive with not wanting to be associated with progressives because they eat their own in a closed minded tribal fashion.

26 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Things that actually happened: Europeans raided African territory to kidnap and enslaved Africans and conquer (“colonize”) entire swaths of their continent.

White guy: Evolution made Europeans inherently less violent than Africans.

Rogan: Wow that’s amazing. 

Yea but you see the Africans enslaved each other so it’s no big deal. 

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

That's not at all close to a summary of what I said.

I'm frustrated as a progressive with not wanting to be associated with progressives because they eat their own in a closed minded tribal fashion.

That's not a progressive tendency.  That's a human tendency.  Look at what the GOP just did to Liz Cheney and Kinzinger.  You have a small amount of unhappy, little busy bodies swirling around the hive and they often prevail due to corporate nervousness.  It's easier today to make a spectacle of yourself and especially others.  And it happens everywhere in every ideology and it is unproductive most of the time.  Sometimes it's validated.  Rogan himself has removed content on YouTube for simply mocking him and making him look silly.  

6 minutes ago, Goredho said:

First they came for Bill Cosby and Louis CK, and I did not speak up, for I am not a rapist.

First they came for the Dixie Chicks, and I did speak up because I am a Texan who opposed the Iraq War from the start and was also  ashamed that he is from Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1