RIP Black Mamba: Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash CONFIRMED

BigDHornfan

10 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I guess that’s how a cynic would look at it. I prefer to think he was sincere. And by many accounts he was a pretty good guy. Rapists tend to have multiple victims and we don’t see that here. As I said, may he RIP.

Would you, by any chance, also happen to be Catholic?

3 minutes ago, dad said:

We'll see what the NTSB report says before we fully settle on blaming the pilot. It's possible that he could have experienced mechanical failure at low altitude preventing him from being able to auto rotate somewhere safely. 

If he was that close to the hills ground affect would have been a serious problem in a bird that big. 

But at this point, short of mechanical failure, it's tough to blame anyone other than the pilot for making a series of bad decisions. 

Will be interesting to see what the ntsb says. 

3 minutes ago, pops said:

If he was that close to the hills ground affect would have been a serious problem in a bird that big. 

But at this point, short of mechanical failure, it's tough to blame anyone other than the pilot for making a series of bad decisions. 

Will be interesting to see what the ntsb says. 

Wouldn't ground effect only have helped him hover with less required power? Or are you thinking possibly getting into some kind of vortex ring state / settling with power? 

11 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Sucks that Bryant and his daughter died but this was just as bad.   

Just as bad.

So terrible.

Orange Coast College baseball coach John Altobelli was among those who died in the crash, the college confirmed. As a mentor and coach for 27 years, he helped students earn scholarships to play at four-year colleges and treated players like family, the statement said.

“Coach Altobelli was a giant on our campus — a beloved teacher, coach, colleague and friend. This is a tremendous loss for our campus community,” OCC President Angelica Suarez said in a statement.

Altobelli’s wife, Keri Altobelli, and his 13-year-old daughter, Alyssa, who played on the club team with Bryant’s daughter, were also among the victims, according to his family.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-01-26/aircraft-slams-into-hillside-explodes-in-flames-near-calabasas

My college baseball coach Mike Gardner coached him when he was an assistant at UH. I was told he wanted to puke when he got the news today. Small world. 

Just now, dad said:

Wouldn't ground effect only have helped him hover with less required power? Or are you thinking possibly getting into some kind of vortex ring state / settling with power? 

Yeah. I'm thinking he got much closer to the ground than he thought he was, weird vortex, adjusted throttle or pitch in the wrong direction and then it was church. 

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

The agnostics and atheists here won’t appreciate it, but here is an article on his Catholic faith and how it helped him get past the rape accusation. And that seemed like a real apology unlike many we see these days. RIP.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.catholicnewsagency.com/amp/news/the-catholic-faith-of-kobe-bryant-77371

I’ve been indifferent about Kobe, not a fan not a hater, just a guy I know because he’s famous. This article makes it pretty clear he committed rape and wasn’t punished.  The overall tragedy sucks with kids and families gone, but I’m not buying in to the hero worship.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I’ve been indifferent about Kobe, not a fan not a hater, just a guy I know because he’s famous. This article makes it pretty clear he committed rape and wasn’t punished.  The overall tragedy sucks with kids and families gone, but I’m not buying in to the hero worship.

We must have read different articles.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  Glad you know me.  But...Who the fuck are you? 

Wait. Are you saying it is surprising that someone would know you are a sooner fan? And that perhaps Oklahoma (as an educational institution and a state) appears to give not much of a shit about violence towards women?

Shit, I hope nobody on here suspects you are well off!

Edited by Serak The Preparer

1 hour ago, TheBryMan81 said:

ATC is Air Traffic Control.

IMC is Instrument Meteorological Conditions: basically when the weather is too shitty to be able to fly visually. When the weather is IMC, you fly via your instruments which tell you everything: altitude, heading, airspeed, etc.

I just gave my guys a brief on Spatial Disorientation and how easy it is for your body and senses to deceive you. There is such a thing as unrecognized spatial disorientation, where you think you know exactly what's going on and don't even recognize that you're losing altitude or in a spin because of what your body and senses are telling you. Reading about some of these cases or listening to the radio calls is scary shit sometimes

So true. This GIF was my most recent time in IMC. You go from seeing nothing to hey there is the ground in a second while cruising 115 knots over the ground.

edit: I should add this was in Calhoun County. No major elevation changes. You could see how 200 ft. up the visibility is next to nothing. It would not be good to be near a mountain and not know where you are  

animated.gif

Edited by Telegraph_it
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Wait. Are you saying it is surprising that someone would know you are a sooner fan? And that perhaps Oklahoma (as an educational institution and a state) appears to give not much of a shit about violence towards women?

Shit, I hope nobody on here suspects you are well off!

Oh wait...I would expect any regular to know that.  I'm just proud and a bit surprised that some lurker with 80 posts knows it.  I guess you know so much about me that you clearly know the stereotypes of okie dumbasses really hurt me.  Lulz

I would take you to town and roast you for a few more rounds but get some cred around here first.  Later champ. 

1 minute ago, GotThatFire said:

Was it Kobe’s privately owned helicopter? 

That's my understanding. Not sure if he employs the pilot directly or if he uses a company that provides the pilot that has their own liability. If not, poor widow will likely have some lawsuits from the surviving families. Hopefully everything can get worked out amicably.  

11 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

We must have read different articles.

"“Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter,” 

Not sure how this can be interpreted as anything other than, at best, "a bit rapey." Nevertheless, too young to die. The two kids who lost both parents and a sibling is as heartwrenching as anything else in this story.

1 minute ago, Pasken said:

That's my understanding. Not sure if he employs the pilot directly or if he uses a company that provides the pilot that has their own liability. If not, poor widow will likely have some lawsuits from the surviving families. Hopefully everything can get worked out amicably.  

They may sue his insurance company but I see no reason they'd personally sue a random heli pilot?  Those people are all well off and I highly doubt his widow has much of anything compared to the passengers on that flight.  Sad all around, but even worse getting attorneys involved.  

4 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Yep. Proud of it. Are you religious?

Typical religious chauvinism. Obviously that article appeals to you because it reinforces your own personal faith. 

I don't know what happened between Kobe and that woman. I can't call him a rapist because he was never convicted. Maybe he raped her, maybe he didn't. If he did rape her then claiming his Catholic faith helped him recover from the trauma of being accused of rape would reflect poorly on the faith, wouldn't it? Would that be okay with your God? Of course Kobe wasn't going to say how his many millions of dollars and high priced lawyers helped him get over it. I'm sure those helped. One thing I know for sure, neither his Catholic faith nor his fabulous wealth did him a damn bit of good today. 

I am not religious. I became aware that religion is a human invention before I turned 18. But I was raised in the Anabaptist tradition, a faith which is peppered with stories of their early church leaders being burned at the stake by the Catholics. 

4 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

An old friend's dad was a navy pilot, later flew for a major carrier, and somehow found time to practice aviation law which involved him in many high profile crash cases.

The one piece of advice from him that sticks with me: never fly in a helicopter.

Bryant's preferred mode of transportation in LA has been a copter.  For many year now.  Well established.   A control freak, he liked to maximize every minute of his time, including the simple to and fro of the vehicular issues well established in LA.

The dense fog won today. Or could have been a mechanical issue. Or both. 

We really should keep the rapey out of this thread. It’s been settled and vague at best.  

CSB time. I remember watching a rockets/lakers game. Rockets had a penalty and the crowd started chanting “Kobe Sucks!” As they threw the ball in,  I think, “oh shit”.  Threw the ball into Kobe and he drops a 3 pointer about 8 foot outside the 3 point line.  That shut everyone up.  Dude was magical.  

Side note is they did the same thing to Pujoles.  That worked out about the same.  

33 minutes ago, 'stache said:

but I’m not buying in to the hero worship.

Has anyone been waxing poetic about what a great man and humanitarian he was? Most of the sentiment has been about what a tremendous competitor he was, with a drive and work ethic worthy of idolization. The most I've seen about him as a person is that he seemed like a good father, and had a great, intellectually curious mind that seemed destined to achieve great things post basketball.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:
27 minutes ago, Pasken said:

They may sue his insurance company but I see no reason they'd personally sue a random heli pilot?  Those people are all well off and I highly doubt his widow has much of anything compared to the passengers on that flight.  Sad all around, but even worse getting attorneys involved.  

They don’t sue his insurance company. They sue him and the insurance company responds on behalf of him which is what triggers coverage.  If anything, I see the other passengers relatives suing, and likely for that matter. 

Even the Paul walker incident had suits related to heat cycled tires.  Would be surprised if we don’t see some here.  

53 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

My college baseball coach Mike Gardner coached him when he was an assistant at UH. I was told he wanted to puke when he got the news today. Small world. 

Apparently two other kids weren’t on the copter.  Orphans now.  Ugh.

I was trying to put myself in his wife's shoes wondering what she would think about basketball after all of this. It gave them everything (Kobe's success) and ironically it took it all away in the end (accident on the way to a game).

2 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

They don’t sue his insurance company. They sue him and the insurance company responds on behalf of him which is what triggers coverage.  If anything, I see the other passengers relatives suing, and likely for that matter. 

Even the Paul walker incident had suits related to heat cycled tires.  Would be surprised if we don’t see some here.  

Yes I assumed it was like medical malpractice where I’m sued but it’s never really me personally - either way my coverage kicks in.  But maybe for pilots you have to sue them directly.  

The Paul Walker thing is no surprise.  Any equipment / manufacturer is a huge target bc they have deep pockets.  

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It reeks of Cuban grandstanding and I’m a huge Mavs fan. Cuban has always been crazy and a shitbird. 

Na he was close to Kobe. Kobe was close to signing with the Mavs at one point but it didn't happen.

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It reeks of Cuban grandstanding and I’m a huge Mavs fan. Cuban has always been crazy and a shitbird. 

Sadly, this. Who the fuck cares what jersey the Dallas Mavericks (no offense) are going to retire after a tragedy like this? How about donating $1M--or pledging Mavs' participation--to his basketball academy?

• Like 2