Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, futureman said:

kyler is a great quarterback.  he’s still 5’5”, maybe 5’6” in cleats.  doesn’t change the fact that he’s a great qb.  get over it. 

Kyler was a great college quarterback. Eric Crouch and Johnny Foosball say hi.

And since this is the Internet, I can play armchair psychologist and say Kyler seems like a front-runner. He's fine at a place like OU where you win 80% of the time because you have the better talent 90% of the time. In the NFL, where the good teams lose 30-40% of the time and the difference between the Super Bowl and 6-10 is like two fifth-round picks, it's not hard to envision his little brain getting frustrated. Whether the quits or divides the locker room, who's to say, but fuck OU.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

And since this is the Internet, I can play armchair psychologist and say Kyler seems like a front-runner. He's fine at a place like OU where you win 80% of the time because you have the better talent 90% of the time. In the NFL, where the good teams lose 30-40% of the time and the difference between the Super Bowl and 6-10 is like two fifth-round picks, it's not hard to envision his little brain getting frustrated. Whether the quits or divides the locker room, who's to say, but fuck OU.

Dr. Swandered does have a nice ring to it.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Scouts were claiming that years of sitting out and split focus had slowed his development. 

But baseball scouting is such a flawed profession. 

He always had the physical tools in baseball, but yeah, he was playing football, so he was not developing as a baseball player. 

He did hit .296/.398/.556 with 10 HR for OU last spring in 51 games. That's good, and the B12 is a good conference. 

Physical tools + presumably more room to improve compared to other college players (because he'd never dedicated himself to baseball) + good production in a good conference

...that's why he was picked so high. 

He is currently a better football player than baseball player; that doesn't mean that he's more likely to have a long, successful pro career (and earn more money) in football than baseball. But, it seemed really unlikely 6 months ago that he'd be a first-round NFL pick, so his decision to go the football route does not seem as bad now. 

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Wilson is a terrible, terrible comp.  Besides being taller, much, much bigger, and having a better arm, Wilson blew every team away with his maturity, intelligence, and natural leadership/confidence.  If he was 6'2", it would have been a coin flip between he and Andrew Luck as the #1 pick.

An understated part of being an NFL quarterback is looking the part.  And I don't mean that you have to be 6'4", 220.  But you have to be the adult in the room.  In college, the team takes cues from the head coach.  In the NFL, the quarterback has to be a leader, if not the leader.  Grown men are going to be looking at you when things start going sideways.  Sure, Mayfield seems to share some of the immaturity and entitlement and is doing okay...but he's a tough son of a bitch.  He'll put his head down for a first down, get up, and talk shit to the linebacker.  Guys respect that.  Kyler is really going to have to ball the fuck out to make up for his stature, attitude, limited arm, and business decision slides (wise as they may be).

You're just pissed off that he left your program and went on to win a Heisman for OU

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

You're just pissed off that he left your program and went on to win a Heisman for OU

Couldn't possibly care less. He was never going to be anywhere near as good in our program under Sumlin. He's a diva, and Sumlin in a pushover...that relationship was never going to work.

Kyler needed a year to sit, observe, and work with a QB coach on his mechanics (seriously, he was shot-putting the duckiest of ducks on any throw over 10 yards when he was at A&M). Sumlin didn't have the backbone for that, and it cost him two quarterbacks and any authority he had left (not much).

3 hours ago, Lat22 said:

When are the A’s going to stop playing nice and make him pick one or the other?

The As gave Murray a year of FB in his contract.  I think he'll be in breach if he fails to report for spring training or signs another contract that will prevent him from doing so.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Couldn't possibly care less.

Your multiple posts about his "leadership qualities" seem to indicate otherwise.

1 minute ago, sushihorn said:

The As gave Murray a year of FB in his contract.  I think he'll be in breach if he fails to report for spring training or signs another contract that will prevent him from doing so.

Reports I've read say he'd have to give his signing bonus back. But A's get fucked because they don't get a compensatory first round pick, as they would have if he had never signed.

Edited by irishtexan

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Your multiple posts about his "leadership qualities" seem to indicate otherwise.

And a couple weeks ago I was arguing that he'd be able to move the ball and score points just fine against Alabama's over-hyped defense because Alabama ALWAYS struggles against great college quarterbacks, especially dual-threat ones. And Kyrie is a GREAT college quarterback who found a much better program, offense, and coach in Oklahoma.

But his NFL prospects are the topic du jour, and those are my thoughts, regardless of where he started his college career.

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

I'm surprised that several of you believe that he's actually 5'9".  

Not a chance.

There aren't a lot of pictures of Kyler Murray standing next to people of known height.  The Heisman awards ceremony was a pretty good place to comp him.  Haskins is listed at 6'3", 6'1" for Tua.  I presume they were not wearing heels.  Draw your own conclusions.

heisman.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pops said:

He needs to sue the manufacturer of whatever drugs his mom took while she was pregnant with him. He has the proportions of a fucking Shetland pony. 

He has the face and body features of a midget.  I think he may actually be a tall member of the wee folk.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Instant stardom of being drafted as a 1st Round NFL QB is much more appealing for Kyler than 3-4yrs of bus rides in minor league baseball with no guarantee Kyler ever makes it to the Majors.....

This is what it comes down to. That would be a complete 180 from being the star on campus at Allen and OU to go to being a nobody minor leaguer living that kind of life. I always thought that would be a factor for him. Plus, who knows if he would ever get to the majors. People make it seem like it's a foregone conclusion he would play for 2 decades and make all this money. Baseball drafts are the biggest crapshoots out there. There is a lot more quicker money to be made in the NFL, even if he flames out. Now he does have that signing bonus from Oakland but that would be less than what he can make if he's drafted in the 1st round in the NFL. And I think he will be a 1st rd pick.

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

This is what it comes down to. That would be a complete 180 from being the star on campus at Allen and OU to go to being a nobody minor leaguer living that kind of life. I always thought that would be a factor for him. Plus, who knows if he would ever get to the majors. People make it seem like it's a foregone conclusion he would play for 2 decades and make all this money. Baseball drafts are the biggest crapshoots out there. There is a lot more quicker money to be made in the NFL, even if he flames out. Now he does have that signing bonus from Oakland but that would be less than what he can make if he's drafted in the 1st round in the NFL. And I think he will be a 1st rd pick.

I think it’s more that the A’s contract is 5 million and a shot at more if he gets to the big leagues and also sticks all the way into his arbitration years. Oakland doesn’t throw money at club controlled players. 

Vs the guaranteed money and immediate huge salary of an early first round nfl pick. 

Even if he sucks from day 1, he probably has 20 or more million guaranteed plus at least a couple of years salary before his team dumps its investment. 

• Like 1

If only there were history on this guy we could use to try to predict future behavior. We could know whether he is a patient, wait-your-turn team guy. We would know if he is happy to leave an old team when something newer and more exciting comes along. Whether being in the spotlight and avoiding his due of humility will affect what he chooses. Oh well.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

There aren't a lot of pictures of Kyler Murray standing next to people of known height.  The Heisman awards ceremony was a pretty good place to comp him.  Haskins is listed at 6'3", 6'1" for Tua.  I presume they were not wearing heels.  Draw your own conclusions.

heisman.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

How tall is the Dude on the Trophy??

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Atticus said:

Russell Wilson is damn near 5'11 barefoot with orangutan arms and arm strength for days. He's also got a pretty stout frame.

Kyler Murray is a between 5'9 and 5'10 with shoes with average arm length and above average arm strength. I'm not sure he can put on much mass either.

He's elusive as hell, but he's still gonna get hit, and it isn't going to be pretty. It'll be fun to watch on replay though.

Murray's arm strength and accuracy are very good. His size is not as detrimental as it once was with the NFL contact rules. Hell, Doug Flutie lasted almost 20 years at the pro level in the 80's when you could decapitate QB's. He is smart about not taking hits, and I am not particularly concerned about him being able to play in the NFL. I could see him being a successful starter on the right team. You can't tell me that he isn't an upgrade over 30% of current NFL starters provided he stops being a whiny bitch. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Murray's arm strength and accuracy are very good. His size is not as detrimental as it once was with the NFL contact rules. Hell, Doug Flutie lasted almost 20 years at the pro level in the 80's when you could decapitate QB's. He is smart about not taking hits, and I am not particularly concerned about him being able to play in the NFL. I could see him being a successful starter on the right team. You can't tell me that he isn't an upgrade over 30% of current NFL starters provided he stops being a whiny bitch. 

In the 1980s Randy White was still playing DT for the Cowboys at 250.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I agree with all this, but he doesn’t seem like the best team player to me.  Being an asshole might work for a couple of years in college, but I don’t think his nfl teammates are gonna put up with his bullshit.  Especially when they know they can pick him up and flick him across the room like Ren and Stimpy.