Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Buddy Hinton said:

That report was not true per Jeff Passan.

MLB wants this guy, not just the A's.

Seriously, why?  So they can brag about having a Heisman-trophy winning guy in the league?  Let's def do the Tebow-in-MLB thing again!

I hate to admit it but if Murray and Boras succeed in squeezing another $10 million out of Oakland with the NFL gambit, I will be forced to give them a tip of the cap.

How does that work with regard to the slot where he was drafted? If the A’s give him $10M more now, what would that do? Anything. And this hardly sounds like the A’s — they don’t overpay for anything.

21 minutes ago, C-Man said:

How does that work with regard to the slot where he was drafted? If the A’s give him $10M more now, what would that do? Anything. And this hardly sounds like the A’s — they don’t overpay for anything.

Yea that is weirdest part in all this. It is the A's, these guys are cheap as fuck

10 hours ago, GhostofDanJones said:

Not surprised he asked for $15M from the A's. Selfish little prick.

I mean I don’t like him any more than you but to say he is selfish is just plain dumb.  He is literally on the verge of making what will very likely be the biggest business/financial decision of his life.  Trying to get closer to the first round NFL money through the better long term prospect of MLB, which is notoriously hard to navigate to the majors and ultimately the big money, is extremely smart.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I mean I don’t like him any more than you but to say he is selfish is just plain dumb.  He is literally on the verge of making what will very likely be the biggest business/financial decision of his life.  Trying to get closer to the first round NFL money through the better long term prospect of MLB, which is notoriously hard to navigate to the majors and ultimately the big money, is extremely smart.

Agreed. Murray should be playing the NFL and MLB off against each other to maximize his money. That just makes good sense.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

10 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Why is that selfish?

Agreed. Murray should be playing the NFL and MLB off against each other to maximize his money. That just makes good sense.

He's not wrong, he's just an asshole. /Lebowski

• Like 3

All of those eight guys are just hoping to get out of Class A next season. They probably have forgotten all about where they were drafted.

And if Murray goes that is exactly where he is going to be, desperately hoping he can play for the mighty Midland RockHounds. Ah the glamour and excitement of being drafted by Major League Baseball. 

Edited by Valmy77

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Seriously, why?  So they can brag about having a Heisman-trophy winning guy in the league?  Let's def do the Tebow-in-MLB thing again!

Yeah I don't get why the MLB would be that desperate for this guy. Great football player, yes. Big name, yes. But great baseball player? No. He would get lost in the shuffle in the lower levels and people will forget about him. This guy would be nowhere near a superstar in the MLB, ever.

I think he chooses the NFL draft.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think he chooses the NFL draft.

Yeah at least in the NFL you are pretty much guaranteed at least one year and a chance to compete for a starting position if you are drafted in the first round.

In MLB there is a good chance you will not even get a cup of coffee in the big leagues even as a first round draft choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah at least in the NFL you are pretty much guaranteed at least one year and a chance to compete for a starting position if you are drafted in the first round.

In MLB there is a good chance you will not even get a cup of coffee in the big leagues even as a first round draft choice.

Exactly. I get the big MLB money and guaranteed contracts but what percentage of players even get to that point? You don't have to really pay any dues in the NFL. 1st rd picks are usually going to start and be big parts of the team. 1st rd picks in the MLB are going to be busting their ass in the low ball leagues and riding buses. I don't think Murray can handle that life.

I also don't buy into that he can go play NFL for 5 to 6 years and then go back to baseball as a fallback. Like Tebow did. How far behind would he be? He'd be in his mid 20s having to start from scratch in the minors? I don't think that is plausible to expect to succeed like that. And it's not like he is some all world talent at baseball. He's just another guy.

5 minutes ago, Keef said:

Lulz what moron drafted this A's contract

True. I'm guessing Murray also indicated at the time that he would "for sure" play baseball after this football season. I doubt he or the A's thought what has happened was a possibility at all. Still should have put it in black and white.

Murray's an entitled me-first bitch whose intentions are liable to change at a moment's notice. People would be wise to make note of it at this point.  

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Because it would be small victory for MLB over the NFL in general. That is something they don't get anymore

Young & already famous African American kids are exactly flocking to the baseball fields anymore

2 minutes ago, Buddy Hinton said:

Because it would be small victory for MLB over the NFL in general. That is something they don't get anymore

Young & already famous African American kids are exactly flocking to the baseball fields anymore

Thank you for this 40 year old hot take. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buddy Hinton said:

Was I not asked a question?

Sure. But that cannot possibly be the reason because signing Kyler Murray will do exactly jack shit for either of those situations. I think it more likely that just want a big name, not thinking they will win over all African American kids and show they are bigger than the NFL. I mean maybe if this was 1972 that might hold some water but I don't think MLB is even thinking on those lines these days.

Edited by Valmy77

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Sure. But that cannot possibly be the reason because signing Kyler Murray will do exactly jack shit for either of those situations. I think it more likely that just want a big name, not thinking they will win over all African American kids and show they are bigger than the NFL. I mean maybe if this was 1972 that might hold some water but I don't think MLB is even thinking on those lines these days.

In addition to the A's, MLB sent their own marketing reps to meet with Murray. Disagree that race has nothing to do with this.

MLB has made no secret of it desire to broaden its appeal back to Black community

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Buddy Hinton said:

In addition to the A's, MLB sent their own marketing reps to meet with Murray. Disagree that race has nothing to do with this.

MLB has made no secret of it desire to broaden its appeal back to Black community

i think your earlier first point was accurate.  i don't think mlb likes the idea that the nfl can come waltzing in and snatch away a top 10 pick with the mere possibility of being a first rounder in their upcoming draft, just because the cba rules never anticipated this exact scenario.  he's undersized, and this is the era of cte and older athletes not wanting their kids to play pee-wee football, and this type of thing is still happening.  mlb doesn't like that, and it has nothing to do with them wanting a "big name" in their league.

that said, if i'm the a's, i'm seeing a potential mookie betts roaming the outfield in oakland for 10+ years, and that's very valuable to their marketing people, so i get it.

it's not like he's going back to ou, so can't he just declare now, and if they work something out with oakland, he can put the word out that he's not playing football?  there's plenty of time before late april in nashville, so you might as well get your paperwork straight, right?