Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He’s way off from Brees. 3 inches at least. And lulz at the notion that if a a HOFer QB can play, so can Kyler. 

Flutie a very middling NFL QB.

15 hours ago, fellside said:

NFL QBs seem safer than college QBs these days.  You can't sack them at their legs.  You can't hit them in the head.  You can't take them to the ground.  The league isn't what it once was.

Kyler Murray annoys me and OU sucks, but everything that was said about why he wouldn't succeed this year at OU is now going to be said about why he won't succeed in the NFL. 

Do you realize how low you'd have to go to get Kyler at his legs?

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

lulz. A's fans are super salty because if Kyler chooses to play football, the A's don't get a compensatory 1st for him.  So they will have basically wasted the #10 pick in the draft, which is just another reason why reaching for Kyler was such a dumb pick. 

Which is why I think the A's will eventually capitulate and try and work with him if they can once he chooses football.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

lulz. A's fans are super salty because if Kyler chooses to play football, the A's don't get a compensatory 1st for him.  So they will have basically wasted the #10 pick in the draft, which is just another reason why reaching for Kyler was such a dumb pick. 

The baseball draft is a total crapshoot.  There's all kinds of first rounders teams take a flyer on.  There's no sure thing and 'dumb picks' are fairly common, especially in retrospect.  If he has more fun playing football than riding buses and playing baseball (boring) then it's not a terrible decision.  Financially he will do well as a first round NFL pick.  There's no guarantee you'll make the majors as a first round pick...unlike the NFL where you'd have to complete fall apart to not make the league as a first rounder.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

The baseball draft is a total crapshoot.  There's all kinds of first rounders teams take a flyer on.  There's no sure thing and 'dumb picks' are fairly common, especially in retrospect.  If he has more fun playing football than riding buses and playing baseball (boring) then it's not a terrible decision.  Financially he will do well as a first round NFL pick.  There's no guarantee you'll make the majors as a first round pick...unlike the NFL where you'd have to complete fall apart to not make the league as a first rounder.

I think any NFL team would be stupid to take Murray above the 3rd round.  But as you point out, stupidity is a way of life in the NFL.

Odds are, he would make more money in the long term playing baseball.

He would also have a longer life playing baseball.

He would also have a better quality of life once he reaches 35 or so (years I mean, not inches).

But he'll probably choose football, instant gratification, celebrity status.

But really, who gives a shit?

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Odds are, he would make more money in the long term playing baseball.

He would also have a longer life playing baseball.

He would also have a better quality of life once he reaches 35 or so (years I mean, not inches).

But he'll probably choose football, instant gratification, celebrity status.

But really, who gives a shit?

There is no doubt he'd make more money in baseball if he reached the necessary level to play in the bigs for some time.  Even if he never became an all star.  But odds are absolutely not in his favor of that happening.

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

There is no doubt he'd make more money in baseball if he reached the necessary level to play in the bigs for some time.  Even if he never became an all star.  But odds are absolutely not in his favor of that happening.

I'd say the odds of him having much of an NFL career are not in his favor either.

https://jen-rainwater.weebly.com/

ABOUT ME:
Writer/Editor. Featured Writer at Athletics Nation. Oakland A's Correspondent at Prospects1500. 
Avid MLB fanatic.
Original "Oakland A's Socks Girl." Dallas Cowboys Fan. GS Warriors Fan. Cancer. Liberal. Online Shopaholic. Obsessed with Spell & the Gypsy Collective. Barack Obama. Harry Potter. Baseball history geek. Animal Lover. Cat Person. Penguins. Diet Coke. Good Beer. Good Behavior is the best show on TV. Brunch is YUM. The Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum and Disneyland. I love Troy Aikman, Jose Altuve and Bartolo Colon!

me41.jpg?1527258421

https://jen-rainwater.weebly.com/resume.html

Bylines Include:
Vox Media’s SBNation, Athletics Nation, FOX Sports, SI.com, FanRag Sports, FanSided, Yardbarker, The Sports Fan Journal and other various media outlets.

Objective:
As a disabled person looking to work on a steady basis, I am seeking a remote position on virtually any topic but my specialties include Major and Minor League Baseball, Sports, Politics & Fashion/Beauty....

e32cb0824a8856e72308e791c176e8b7.jpg

I'm curious how long her name has been Rainwater.  Maybe Indian, or hippy, or 1/1024th Joey Freshwater?

Edited by clapclapclap

While I would much rather be a MLB regular than a NFL player, the chances of reaching that status through the grueling minor league system means I would probably go with the NFL if I was a first round choice in both leagues. 

Unfortunately this is a decision I never got to make.

2 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I'd say the odds of him having much of an NFL career are not in his favor either.

He'll be drafted high regardless of fan's opinions of where he should be drafted assuming he opts for the NFL.  So he'll get that $ from the NFL.  That initial NFL contract will be greater than his current baseball offer. 

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think it’s more that the A’s contract is 5 million and a shot at more if he gets to the big leagues and also sticks all the way into his arbitration years. Oakland doesn’t throw money at club controlled players. 

Vs the guaranteed money and immediate huge salary of an early first round nfl pick. 

Even if he sucks from day 1, he probably has 20 or more million guaranteed plus at least a couple of years salary before his team dumps its investment. 

He could consult JFF.

11 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

ABOUT ME:
Writer/Editor. Featured Writer at Athletics Nation. Oakland A's Correspondent at Prospects1500. 
Avid MLB fanatic.
Original "Oakland A's Socks Girl." Dallas Cowboys Fan. GS Warriors Fan. Cancer. Liberal. Online Shopaholic. Obsessed with Spell & the Gypsy Collective. Barack Obama. Harry Potter. Baseball history geek. Animal Lover. Cat Person. Penguins. Diet Coke. Good Beer. Good Behavior is the best show on TV. Brunch is YUM. The Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum and Disneyland. I love Troy Aikman, Jose Altuve and Bartolo Colon!

me41.jpg?1527258421

Bylines Include:
Vox Media’s SBNation, Athletics Nation, FOX Sports, SI.com, FanRag Sports, FanSided, Yardbarker, The Sports Fan Journal and other various media outlets.

Objective:
As a disabled person looking to work on a steady basis, I am seeking a remote position on virtually any topic but my specialties include Major and Minor League Baseball, Sports, Politics & Fashion/Beauty....

I'm curious how long her name has been Rainwater.  Maybe Indian, or hippy, or 1/1024th Joey Freshwater?

She considers ugly a disability?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

He could consult JFF.

JFF was drafted 22nd, and still made around 7 million during his time in Cleveland. 6.7 was the guaranteed portion of his contract.

the only qb drafted ahead of him was bortles at 3.  Bortles’ contract as the #3 pick had a 13 million signing bonus and over 20 million guaranteed.

The odds of Murray making 20 million or more are not great, as he would have to be a major league player for 5-6 years to get a couple of arbitration years. And if he’s behind developmentally and needs 2 minor league seasons, then he’s breaking into the majors at 24 and isn’t arb eligible until age 27 or so, FA eligible until around 30.  

So if he’s a top 5 pick, he’s getting bortles type money. If he’s a late first rounder, he’s getting manziel money, which would be similar to his baseball money. 

The kid has choices about how he wants to get (or keep) his millions. 

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep. He will guaranteed be a 1st rd pick. Some GM is going to want him. Even if he is the last pick of the 1st rd (he won't be because that would be a Super Bowl team), he will make a lot more more in the next 5 years than he would in baseball. Where he would be riding buses to podunk towns playing for peanuts.

I think he can succeed in the NFL. To what degree, not sure. But I had no doubts Baker would succeed. In fact, I thought he was the best QB of the class last year. But NFL execs have a hard on for the "prototypical" QB and how they should look so all we heard was Rosen, Allen and Darnold. Yet it was Baker who was the most dynamic and turned around the shittiest franchise by far.

Murray has a very good deep ball and is pretty damn accurate on all the difficult throws.

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Even if he is the last pick of the 1st rd (he won't be because that would be a Super Bowl team), he will make a lot more more in the next 5 years than he would in baseball. Where he would be riding buses to podunk towns playing for peanuts.

That's not guaranteed if he has to give his baseball signing bonus back. Does he? Haven't really followed his situation that closely, but giving back $4.5M that is already yours changes the calculation considerably.

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That's not guaranteed if he has to give his baseball signing bonus back. Does he? Haven't really followed his situation that closely, but giving back $4.5M that is already yours changes the calculation considerably.

I wonder how much of it he's spent?  That being said assuming he hasn't already spent it I don't think it changes much if you are assuming he's going to be drafted early.

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I wonder how much of it he's spent?  That being said assuming he hasn't already spent it I don't think it changes much if you are assuming he's going to be drafted early.

Dudes in Norman, everything is paid there if you win. 

Hell, I'm sure he's  got more $$ than his original signing bonus now. 

Edited by Okie Lite in Zapata

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

He’d repay it from his nfl signing bonus if he’s actually spent it. How would he spend several million in one year, when his school and food and housing are paid for?  

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

ABOUT ME:
Avid MLB fanatic.

me41.jpg?1527258421

Bylines Include:

Objective:

So she's fitlump, west coast edition. Got it. 

The most pertinent question IMO is will Murray get to see his NFL draft position before having to decide whether or not to honor his contract with the A's.  If so, it's a no lose proposition to declare for the NFL draft.  If he falls to the 3rd of 4th round he just plays baseball.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes he has to give it all back. Even the little over 1 million they gave him up front of that money. But I am talking about money in the NFL the next 5 years vs the money he would make playing baseball the next 5 years. Not to mention the endorsements that would come with it being as popular as he is. He wouldn't get that playing baseball in the minors. Plus it seems he enjoys football much more.

Baseball is such a grind. An everyday grind. You put in work in football on a daily basis but you are not even playing close to the amount of games they play. To make the big money in baseball, you have a long road to climb. Football you can make it instantly. 

I don't like him at all and agree that there are a lot of intangibles working against him, but I think if his agent floats that he's all in for football, he'll be the first QB taken.  And if I were him I would definitely choose football over baseball.  I hate baseball though so there's that.  But just the always on the road shit is not for me.  NFL travel, and season, is so much less.  Biggest reason though would be money.  I heard from one of the sports pods I listen to that something like only 50% of players selected in the first round go on to play at least 3 years in MLB.  33% never play at all.  It gets even worse when looking at college players taken in the first round, under 20% of them play at least 3 years in MLB.

Contrast that with first round NFL deals and its a no-brainer to go football.  Most 1st round draft picks end up getting all their money.  Manziel is the outlier first round pick who gets cut before 4 years.  Lots of them get the 5th year at a decent salary.  So if he is the #1 overall pick and is Famous Jameis level of just ok, he's gonna pull 50 mil or so over 5 years.  If he's actually good, 2nd and 3rd QB contracts in the NFL are fantastic and I think he has a far greater chance of landing in that territory versus the MLB guy getting in that money's neighborhood.

I don't think I'd take him in the first round but getting him on the field once every few downs puts A LOT of pressure on a defense.  Maybe think outside the box like as Tom slows in NE, have Kyler change the pace up.  Again, not a first rounder, but in the second/third round, that's a hell of a talent.  

But as almost everyone here agrees, the NFL is full of morons and he'll go in the first round. 

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

The most pertinent question IMO is will Murray get to see his NFL draft position before having to decide whether or not to honor his contract with the A's.  If so, it's a no lose proposition to declare for the NFL draft.  If he falls to the 3rd of 4th round he just plays baseball.

Word from a LOT of the draft scouts is that they believe (and are hearing from GM’s) that Kyler is almost guaranteed to go first round this draft, especially with the reaching NFL teams love to do for QBs in round 1. Will create a very interesting predicament for the Murray’s. I imagine that QB is the one position in the NFL that would make it nearly impossible to play another sport because of time commitment and the amount teams invest into the position.