Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyler will make way more money as an NFL qb even if he did beat the odds and become an MLB player with enough service time to reach free agency. By that time he would be in his 30s and no teams in this day and age are handing out 100 million dollar contracts to players in their 30s. Meanwhile a guy like Joe Flacco gets 120 million and has never even been a top 10 NFL qb.

15 years ago.  no way.  now the way the NFL rules are and the fact that offenses are changing someone will pay him.  my guess is he's thinking he can try NFL and fall back on baseball.  you can go the other way(baseball to football) in college but likely impossible to do in the NFL

https://jen-rainwater.weebly.com/
ABOUT ME:
Writer/Editor. Featured Writer at Athletics Nation. Oakland A's Correspondent at Prospects1500. 
Avid MLB fanatic.
Original "Oakland A's Socks Girl." Dallas Cowboys Fan. GS Warriors Fan. Cancer. Liberal. Online Shopaholic. Obsessed with Spell & the Gypsy Collective. Barack Obama. Harry Potter. Baseball history geek. Animal Lover. Cat Person. Penguins. Diet Coke. Good Beer. Good Behavior is the best show on TV. Brunch is YUM. The Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum and Disneyland. I love Troy Aikman, Jose Altuve and Bartolo Colon!

me41.jpg?1527258421
https://jen-rainwater.weebly.com/resume.html
Bylines Include:
Vox Media’s SBNation, Athletics Nation, FOX Sports, SI.com, FanRag Sports, FanSided, Yardbarker, The Sports Fan Journal and other various media outlets.

Objective:
As a disabled person looking to work on a steady basis, I am seeking a remote position on virtually any topic but my specialties include Major and Minor League Baseball, Sports, Politics & Fashion/Beauty....
e32cb0824a8856e72308e791c176e8b7.jpg
I'm curious how long her name has been Rainwater.  Maybe Indian, or hippy, or 1/1024th Joey Freshwater?

Can you specialize in five topics?

11 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

https://jen-rainwater.weebly.com/

ABOUT ME:
Writer/Editor. Featured Writer at Athletics Nation. Oakland A's Correspondent at Prospects1500. 
Avid MLB fanatic.
Original "Oakland A's Socks Girl." Dallas Cowboys Fan. GS Warriors Fan. Cancer. Liberal. Online Shopaholic. Obsessed with Spell & the Gypsy Collective. Barack Obama. Harry Potter. Baseball history geek. Animal Lover. Cat Person. Penguins. Diet Coke. Good Beer. Good Behavior is the best show on TV. Brunch is YUM. The Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum and Disneyland. I love Troy Aikman, Jose Altuve and Bartolo Colon!

me41.jpg?1527258421

https://jen-rainwater.weebly.com/resume.html

Bylines Include:
Vox Media’s SBNation, Athletics Nation, FOX Sports, SI.com, FanRag Sports, FanSided, Yardbarker, The Sports Fan Journal and other various media outlets.

Objective:
As a disabled person looking to work on a steady basis, I am seeking a remote position on virtually any topic but my specialties include Major and Minor League Baseball, Sports, Politics & Fashion/Beauty....

e32cb0824a8856e72308e791c176e8b7.jpg

I'm curious how long her name has been Rainwater.  Maybe Indian, or hippy, or 1/1024th Joey Freshwater?

I've known two dudes named Rainwater over the years. Richard Rainwater was a fellow Kappa Sig, many years ahead of me. He invited the whole chapter to come down to some shindig he threw in Austin with Little Richard as the entertainer. At the time, I think he might have been the richest man in Texas. (He was the financial adviser to the Bass family in FW, among other oil barons.)

I went to HS / ran track with another Rainwater in Houston. He flamed out of Strake after a year or two -- he was seriously into drugs far beyond pot, booze and X, which was what most of us confined ourselves to. Pills, maybe....Or even inhalants. So I assumed he'd be dead or under a bridge by now. I Googled him about ten years ago and it turns out he's a successful video game designer / special FX guy out in Cali now. Or at least back he was back then. 

Point is, Rainwater's a weird name, but it's not like Running Bears or something.

11 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

She considers ugly a disability?

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I'd fuck her

but not lovingly

Yeah, what Swandered said.

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Twitter speculation (fueled by Gil Brandt and ProFootballTalk) that Kyler Murray might be coming back to play his Senior season at OU.   The presumed 2019 starter at OU, Austin Kendall, has just entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal.

Of all of his options, this one makes the least sense.

I believe his deal with the A's allowed for a single season, right?  So unless he's negotiating a new one, staying at ou would void the deal and he'd lose the money.  He might be trying to renegotiate, but given his current flakiness about baseball and football, I'm not in a generous mood if I'm Oakland. 

On top of that, this is a very weak qb class in the draft and his stock is sky high.  If what you want to do is play in the NFL, go do it.

Either way, he should be going pro after this season.  He just needs to pick baseball or football.  If he decides to stay at ou another year, he really is an idiot. 

I usually don't take this type of position, but I think it would be an overall positive if he came back.  We've proven that we are at the very worst "equal" to OU, with him at QB, and it would set up an epic Texas OU game in October, and likely a huge CFP play-in game in December.

But of all the possible scenarios for him next year, I'd put this one at 5% or less.

39 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Am I the only one that thinks Dave Krieg was probably the shortest you could be to effectively play QB in the NFL?  Dave Krieg is a head over this ewok.

I think 6' is the threshold, if you're below that, you're gonna get snapped in 1/2 or 1/3.

Um....

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Twitter speculation (fueled by Gil Brandt and ProFootballTalk) that Kyler Murray might be coming back to play his Senior season at OU.   The presumed 2019 starter at OU, Austin Kendall, has just entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal.

Wishful thinking. Not a chance he comes back. 

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Twitter speculation (fueled by Gil Brandt and ProFootballTalk) that Kyler Murray might be coming back to play his Senior season at OU.   

yeah Murray seems like a real altruistic guy who's just in it for the rah rah college experience, and who sits around saying to himself, "sure I COULD make money doing X Y or Z, but how can I best help Oklahoma's football program?"

Edited by SwanderedTalent

On 1/10/2019 at 3:53 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Even if he is the last pick of the 1st rd (he won't be because that would be a Super Bowl team)

The end of the 1st round is when good teams trade with a shitty team that wants to get back into the 1st round for a QB. Then you get that shitty team's #1 for the next draft and usually, it's a high pick. I could def see a team like LA or NO trade out of the 30th pick to a team like Jax or Cincy for a 2020 #1.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sandman said:

The end of the 1st round is when good teams trade with a shitty team that wants to get back into the 1st round for a QB. Then you get that shitty team's #1 for the next draft and usually, it's a high pick. I could def see a team like LA or NO trade out of the 30th pick to a team like Jax or Cincy for a 2020 #1.

True. Didn't factor in all the trades teams do. Dallas tried to do this with Denver in 2016 to get Paxton Lynch but Denver refused. Thank god. Ddue was a bust, And we "settled" for Dak in the 4th round.

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
7 hours ago, mulletpelini said:
Am I the only one that thinks Dave Krieg was probably the shortest you could be to effectively play QB in the NFL?  Dave Krieg is a head over this ewok.
I think 6' is the threshold, if you're below that, you're gonna get snapped in 1/2 or 1/3.

Drew Brees or Flutie were not 6.

I've stood next to Brees and Theisman, Brees is barely under 6, Theisman is 6.  

Flutie, dats dey one.  dats dey one.

Here's the problem.  At 6' your arms are proportional to your 6' body (highest release point of your throw) and so should it be at 5'8 for ewok.  Unless you're telling me he has exceptionally long arms, I'm going to say his release point is 4-6" lower than Brees at 6'.  

Players in the NFL are the tallest/biggest in the world.  They will smash this little fucker into the ground and he will have to alter his throws to get the ball over them.  

There's a reason Doug Flutie has a 55% NFL career completion percentage.  Don't even bother telling me about Canada that's not the same fucking league and you know it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Of all of his options, this one makes the least sense.

I believe his deal with the A's allowed for a single season, right?  So unless he's negotiating a new one, staying at ou would void the deal and he'd lose the money.  He might be trying to renegotiate, but given his current flakiness about baseball and football, I'm not in a generous mood if I'm Oakland. 

On top of that, this is a very weak qb class in the draft and his stock is sky high.  If what you want to do is play in the NFL, go do it.

Either way, he should be going pro after this season.  He just needs to pick baseball or football.  If he decides to stay at ou another year, he really is an idiot. 

You're assuming the behavior of an intelligent actor, but we're talking about a guy who chose to go to A&M and then to OU.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Sandman said:

Teams like to get in late in the first round for a developmental QB because they get the first round option year.  I don't see Murray going real late in the first unless he measures 5'6".  

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Nothing stopping them from sweetening the pot

Probably just to restructure deal:

The A's selected Murray No. 9 overall and signed him to a $4.66 million signing bonus. But after one of the greatest seasons in college football history, the 5-foot-10 quarterback is projected to be a first-round pick in the NFL, where he would make more money right away.

There are provisions in Murray's signing bonus with the A's, and the team likely could be meeting with Murray to go over his contract more than looking to sway him away from football. If there were any changes to his contract, MLB would have to sign off on a restructured deal.