Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

A's were stupid to put so much in on him anyways. He's an average baseball player. 

Eh, the A's aren't stupid. They probably knew there was some possibility of this happening, but a year ago it seemed very unlikely that a 5'9" QB who had never really played much would be a first-round pick in the NFL. 

He was absolutely a first-round talent (physically) in baseball. He performed well in a good conference last spring despite never concentrating on baseball. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, fellside said:

Either you're obtuse or dense.  Either way, this conversation isn't worth the energy it takes to type it.

Huh. I guess I'd say the same about you.

We went 1-1 against Murray. He didn't own us. He got the better of us one time. We got the better of him one time.

You must be a stat nerd. Stats don't win games or championships.

17 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Then why couldn't he tell Dan Patrick that last week?  Or better yet, not go on talk shows a few days ahead of that announcement.  Oh yeah, I just remembered who he and his dad are.  Never mind.  

You make a good point. Though I’m not one to shit on his old man after my own experiences. When there is money involved, and believe me it doesn’t even have to be first round money. Your brain can send some wacky signals to your mouth. You just don’t realize it until you hear the playback, and think “fuck, that sounded bad”.

But your take on not telling Patrick, who from what I understand has a large following. Would have hit a lot of ears. So that leaves me to believe that his discomfort on set (if you saw the interview, he was really uncomfortable) Could have been related to lawyers working out the money for the A’s. And what we saw was Murray was either poorly coached on how to get around those questions, or panicked.

27 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

You make a good point. Though I’m not one to shit on his old man after my own experiences. When there is money involved, and believe me it doesn’t even have to be first round money. Your brain can send some wacky signals to your mouth. You just don’t realize it until you hear the playback, and think “fuck, that sounded bad”.

But your take on not telling Patrick, who from what I understand has a large following. Would have hit a lot of ears. So that leaves me to believe that his discomfort on set (if you saw the interview, he was really uncomfortable) Could have been related to lawyers working out the money for the A’s. And what we saw was Murray was either poorly coached on how to get around those questions, or panicked.

Yeah he was horribly coached for sure and that was really 99.9% of the problem.  I'm pretty sure the reason he went on was to promote Gatorade.  Ok, that's cool.  Go sell your product, but they had to know those questions were coming.  The kid has been pampered, sheltered, and enabled his entire life.   This is the moment you decide to tell him to finally figure something out for himself?  Fucking stupid and I'm going to guess it's almost completely on his dad.  Fortunately for him and his decision makers, it won't really have any lasting effects.  But, damn, give the kid a little help there.  For as quick on his feet as he is on the football field, he appeared to be the exact opposite of that off of it.   I'd guess the only possible lasting effect this could have on him is a few teams passing on him because they question his intelligence.  I know I was after that interview.  

On 2/2/2019 at 11:12 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Because it was BFE until, I dunno, 15 years ago? North north Dallas, north of 635, is becoming like Houston.  The prior northernmost burb, e.g. Lewisville, Plano, gets abandoned as neighborhoods and homes age and some further north exurb, e.g. Frisco, Allen, gets populated.  Another 10-15 years and Frisco and Allen will be ditched for Proper and Princeton.  Not sure what's going to become of McKinney.

I went to a wedding on a farm in 1990. That was part of Allen.

A big chunk of Allen is formerly part of the McDermott Farm. (Who are the McDermott's? Eugene, the husband, was one of the founders of Texas Instruments. Margaret was one of THE matriarchs of Dallas.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_McDermott
https://www.dallasnews.com/obituaries/obituaries/2018/05/03/margaret-mcdermott-philanthropic-giant-whose-work-beautified-dallas-dies-106

On 2/2/2019 at 8:23 AM, tbone_ said:

JFC. 6700 kids and they still recruit.

I get that I’m an old fucker but I did grow up in Dallas and lived there most of my first 30 years. I don’t recall ever hearing the name Allen before I left.

Allen wasn't anything.

On 2/4/2019 at 9:56 AM, Bevo VIII said:

Well in your day it was probably just another school doing it tbh.

When tbone_ was growing up, it was PLANO SENIOR HIGH (there was no "Plano West" and "Plano East" was the poorer people who didn't have the money for all of the facilities and recruiting). There was a big "Old Money vs New Money" rivalry in the Dallas area that was called "the Highland Park vs Plano football game". Highland Park was barely 5A (there wasn't a "6A" back then) and Plano was about as big as a 5A got. Whereas Highland Park was about 1,000+ kids, Plano had ~1,250/class and only had 2 grades - 11th & 12th, though if you were an absolute stud 9th or 10th grade, you could play on the varsity. Plano Sr. High had 2,500 for only two grades and was considered the monster way up north.

That's a brief history of late '70s->late '80s Dallas area football compared to the urban sprawl recruiting of Allen and others today.

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

He’s gonna be fascinating to watch.  Midge but elite arm and legs. Got in argument on recruiting board over that but here Greg Cosell agrees. 

Yeah, no. You got in an argument because you said Murray has an elite ++ arm and will immediately be one of the 5 strongest arms in the NFL. Nothing in that scouting report supports that assertion.

Again, arm strength is the most overrated aspect of a quarterback's ability, but that's what was being discussed. Pure throwing velocity.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, no. You got in an argument because you said Murray has an elite ++ arm and will immediately be one of the 5 strongest arms in the NFL. Nothing in that scouting report supports that assertion.

Again, arm strength is the most overrated aspect of a quarterback's ability, but that's what was being discussed. Pure throwing velocity.

If you know Cosell’s work, you know he’s very muted in his praise of prospects. He typically throws in a “can have trouble driving ball at times” or something similar.  No mentions of that here.

7 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

If you know Cosell’s work, you know he’s very muted in his praise of prospects. He typically throws in a “can have trouble driving ball at times” or something similar.  No mentions of that here.

It feels like this argument has happened 50 times. His arm won’t be an issue at the NFL level, but he doesn’t have elite arm strength in the NFL.

Edited by Burt Macklin

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Just gonna leave this here. 8.3 YPA.

The reason this game is more relevant than, say, the rest of the season, is that OU on offense vs. Alabama on defense is more balanced in terms of coaching/talent to what he'll see in the pros than most any other game he played in. The DC has to force his read before the snap, roll into a different coverage post-snap, and contain so he is surrounded by 6'6" linemen with nowhere to run and very few passing windows. Do that, and he's shut down, where a QB who can make post-snap reads and, you know, see over his linemen, can make throws.

He'll be playing against men, now. Not boys.

Edited by Rimbo

15 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Just gonna leave this here. 8.3 YPA.

The reason this game is more relevant than, say, the rest of the season, is that OU on offense vs. Alabama on defense is more balanced in terms of coaching/talent to what he'll see in the pros than most any other game he played in. The DC has to force his read before the snap, roll into a different coverage post-snap, and contain so he is surrounded by 6'6" linemen with nowhere to run and very few passing windows. Do that, and he's shut down, where a QB who can make post-snap reads and, you know, see over his linemen, can make throws.

He'll be playing against men, now. Not boys.

I’m not sure what point you think you’re making.

8.3 YPA isnt bad at all. He went 19-37 for 308 yards and 2 TDs on 8.3 YPA plus ran for 17-108 with 1 TD.  Not to mention that he got better as the game went on and he got acclimated to the Bama D. 

That game wasn’t exaclty an indictment on Murray.

Is that so?

https://sports.yahoo.com/greg-cosells-draft-analysis-josh-allen-young-wild-stallion-needs-channeled-163817268.html

Allen has big-time arm strength. He can make any throw at any level of the defense.

Along with multiple paragraphs about his arm strength.

I don't know why you keep arguing this. Murray is a fantastic prospect in many ways. Elite ++ arm strength relative to the NFL just isn't one of those ways, but that is almost worthless anyway.