Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

25 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Along with multiple paragraphs about his arm strength.

I don't know why you keep arguing this. Murray is a fantastic prospect in many ways. Elite ++ arm strength relative to the NFL just isn't one of those ways, but that is almost worthless anyway.

Oh, pshaw. I'm going to Jamarcus Russell's NFL Hall of Fame induction in the fall. You should join me.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

AZ would be fools to draft him. Part of what Kliff is supposed to deliver is identifying/developing QBs. If you have to spend a high 1st round pick on a QB, you are admitting Kliff isn’t all that.

I am guessing his previous comments about drafting Murray were a way to scapegoat why he lost that game, but he should be held to it since he's now in a position to impact the draft.

• Like 1

Will be fun to watch.

What I find interesting on this thread is that if he'd transferred to UT instead of OU (or come here originally) we'd be talking about how great he is and what a good pro QB he will be.  Much like Mayfield last year -- if he'd been OUR douchebag QB we'd all have loved him....

3 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Will be fun to watch.

What I find interesting on this thread is that if he'd transferred to UT instead of OU (or come here originally) we'd be talking about how great he is and what a good pro QB he will be.  Much like Mayfield last year -- if he'd been OUR douchebag QB we'd all have loved him....

Not really. He would have been obliterated running our offense. There’d be nothing left for the NFL to draft. 

And you not have noticed, but we’re very critical of Texas players. Probably negative to the extreme. Texas is not a mouthbreathing fanboi fanbase like aggy or OU trash. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Not really. He would have been obliterated running our offense. There’d be nothing left for the NFL to draft. 

And you not have noticed, but we’re very critical of Texas players. Probably negative to the extreme. Texas is not a mouthbreathing fanboi fanbase like aggy or OU trash. 

I get that, but presumably we'd be creative enough (or maybe I'm giving Hermann and Beck too much credit) to adapt to the Murray or Mayfield skill sets.

Whether or not Murray succeeds in the NFL, he was a gifted college QB, as was Mayfield.

2 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

I get that, but presumably we'd be creative enough (or maybe I'm giving Hermann and Beck too much credit) to adapt to the Murray or Mayfield skill sets.

Whether or not Murray succeeds in the NFL, he was a gifted college QB, as was Mayfield.

Some things are just better left unsaid. 

27 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Will be fun to watch.

"What I find interesting on this thread is this alternate reality I've made up in my head that actually has nothing to do with this thread."

Yes, because Texas internet boards have always done nothing but cheer on former Longhorns doing stupid things. Oh wait, no they haven't.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

I hope they have a head-on collision in their trailer park and end up drooling on themselves in nursing homes for the rest of their lives. They’re trash  

Fuck ‘em. 

Edited by Tex Pete

Who can forget those recent Longhorn internet campaigns such as:

Roger Clemens - He should be in the Hall of Fame, it's a conspiracy!
Lance Armstrong - Why is the media against him? He's really a great guy!
Cedric Benson - He's just misunderstood, repeatedly!
Russell Erxleben - It wasn't his fault!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Will be fun to watch.

You must be new to Texas sports

I do think he’s making the right decision though. In the short term, he’ll make more money playing FB. If that miraculously works out, he’ll make more in the long term. When it doesn’t work out - assuming he doesn’t sustain some massive injury (which is unlikely for QBs in today’s NFL) - he can go play baseball for at least a few more years. Kind of a win-win

Will be fun to watch.

They’re both cunts.
  • Like 1

If he gets at least 5 million guaranteed from his first contract, he made the correct decision. 

The odds of him making significantly more than his 5 million bonus playing baseball are pretty slim, as they are with most mlb draft picks. And to do it involves a lot more travel and several years before he even gets to his arbitration years. It’s not like Oakland will pay him ant more than they have to while he’s under their control. 

2 hours ago, Alien Octopus said:

Lineman will throw their arms up and bat down balls like they are Mutumbo. The first time a DE or safety squares him up will be brutal. I hope he starts, I love big hits.

He had 5 batted passes all last season with an o-line NFL league average in height. Keep bangin’ that drum. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Constant said:

He had 5 batted passes all last season with an o-line NFL league average in height. Keep bangin’ that drum. 

Right. Both because he had maybe the best OL in college football and he was able to get outside the pocket most of the time. That will be a lot different in the NFL. 

I’ll just keep bangin’ your wife. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, no. You got in an argument because you said Murray has an elite ++ arm and will immediately be one of the 5 strongest arms in the NFL. Nothing in that scouting report supports that assertion.

Again, arm strength is the most overrated aspect of a quarterback's ability, but that's what was being discussed. Pure throwing velocity.

14 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It feels like this argument has happened 50 times. His arm won’t be an issue at the NFL level, but he doesn’t have elite arm strength in the NFL.

Josh Allen, Michael Vick, Troy Aikman, Patrick Mahomes, Randall Cunningham, Dan Fouts, Dan Marino... These guys had "elite arm strength", Kyler Murray does not.

2 hours ago, Constant said:

I don't know how to break it to you, but your Offensive Line shouldn't be the ones batting down your passes.

(It should be the defensive line that is batting down passes, and if you have an NFL quality offensive line that is NFL average in height, then they are probably disabling the defensive line's ability to get off a block and bat down a pass. So... 

...your argument kind of sucks ass.)

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

(It should be the defensive line that is batting down passes, and if you have an NFL quality offensive line that is NFL average in height, then they are probably disabling the defensive line's ability to get off a block and bat down a pass. So... 

At least he has an excuse: he’s really dense. And a huge homer. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Josh Allen, Michael Vick, Troy Aikman, Patrick Mahomes, Randall Cunningham, Dan Fouts, Dan Marino... These guys had "elite arm strength", Kyler Murray does not.

I don't know how to break it to you, but your Offensive Line shouldn't be the ones batting down your passes.

This thread wouldn’t be complete without Napoleon weighing in.  

Meh, shit on the midget if it gets you through your day. But you’re debating the wrong points. 

There are only two things at play here. The first is the money. Murray gets picked in the top ten he will double his A’s money without playing a down. Should he survive his four year rookie contract he could potentially earn 10x as much. Value he would never see on the diamond as a position player.

And secondly is performance. He ass doesn’t need to be Brady, Brees or Rodgers. He simply needs to be better then the Peterman, Allen and Carr’s of the league.

Its not that hard.

1 hour ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Snd secondly is performance. He ass doesn’t need to be Brady, Brees or Rodgers. He simply needs to be better then the Peterman, Allen and Carr’s of the league.

Its not that hard.

Colt was making about $3M to hold a clipboard and then played less than 2 full games (I believe). I’d take Murray over Colt in a heartbeat. 

Murray’s accuracy & foot speed can keep him in the NFL for nearly a decade whether he is a starter the entire time or not. He just needs to avoid getting killed. 

*NOTE: I did not say that his “above average arm strength will keep him in the league”, but rather his ACCURACY.

Couple things:

I know he's short, quick and can spin it all while being a bitch, but does he have average hand size?  Is the larger NFL ball going to be a thing?

Secondly, watching his interview on Patrick, I think he's really going to struggle in that aspect with GM's and coaches. Maybe he's brighter and more articulate than he presented. 🤷🏿‍♀️

5 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Meh, shit on the midget if it gets you through your day. But you’re debating the wrong points. 

There are only two things at play here. The first is the money. Murray gets picked in the top ten he will double his A’s money without playing a down. Should he survive his four year rookie contract he could potentially earn 10x as much. Value he would never see on the diamond as a position player.

And secondly is performance. He ass doesn’t need to be Brady, Brees or Rodgers. He simply needs to be better then the Peterman, Allen and Carr’s of the league.

Its not that hard.

Better than Peterman.  No guarantee he's better than Allen or Carr.

On 2/13/2019 at 12:07 AM, Machinator said:

The Team that drafts Kyler needs to recruit him before drafting him..... otherwise Kyler will use MLB as leverage.

Kyler probably prefers to be drafted by an NFL team in a warm city or that plays in a Dome to enhance his chances to perform better.  A good O-line situation and rpo style OC will make a team a better candidate for Kyler as well.

#GottaRecruitKyler

Edited by LTtxfan

47 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

The MLB angle is a bluff. He’s already given back his bonus and stated his intentions are the NFL. He’s not going to hop on a bus in the Cape Cod league to play out his bluff.

If a team not of his liking drafts him and he tries to play the MLB card, what rights does the NFL team have?

They would just have his NFL rights.  They wouldn't have any recourse against him.  Agree that it's a bluff.  It's not even a bluff as it's just manufactured on message boards.  He's already stated he's focusing on football and isn't reporting to the As and is giving back the signing bonus.  He's not going to crawl back to the As because he doesn't like the team that drafted him months down the line.  Playing for a shitty NFL team is still better than grinding it out in the Cape Cod league, and Murray is far from a ready MLB player.

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

The MLB angle is a bluff. He’s already given back his bonus and stated his intentions are the NFL. He’s not going to hop on a bus in the Cape Cod league to play out his bluff.

If a team not of his liking drafts him and he tries to play the MLB card, what rights does the NFL team have?

None. They would lose their pick and just have his rights if he tried to go back to football. Kyler can’t afford to be wushu washy about football because no team is going to want to throw away a pick if he switches.

I'll just jump in to say that Murray in the NFL is interesting enough to make me watch a few Sunday games which I just about never do. The guy was fabulous college QB despite being uniquely small. Hell, his passes looked like CGI coming from that tiny frame.

He wasn't as fun to watch in college football as Manziel because Murray is more polished. That may make him fun to watch in the NFL.

He seems to be quite the dick, and I'm delighted that one of the two losses he has a lifetime starter is to Texas. Even so, if he's a success in the NFL, he'll become a legendary player. 

Can't say that I'm pulling for him, but I am curious.

• Like 1