The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Neighbor went on a big Porsche rally last weekend. Lead car encountered a rather fast moving motorcycle in his lane.

d11cb5edceb66ce108a81dd0113c847e.jpg

The young lady riding it is not in good shape.

Only because I'm a motorcycle rider as well as a sports car owner. I assume the bike crossed the double? I mean yikes.

If you're crossing a double to make your turn you're going way too fast for you're turn or you're riding beyond you're skill level and endangering yourself and others.
Odds are about 90% she doesn't have enough insurance to cover the damage to thar car

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

ok, dumb question ... since when is a car been called a "whip?" I have never heard this term, but my son insists it's been around since the 90s

I would say about the same thing only based on the fact that that's about when I first heard it, but that's also when I started driving.

It wouldn't surprise me if it goes back to the buggy whip days in some respect for all I know though. 

3 hours ago, Okie State said:

You serious, Clark?

100% dead serious.

54 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I would say about the same thing only based on the fact that that's about when I first heard it, but that's also when I started driving.

It wouldn't surprise me if it goes back to the buggy whip days in some respect for all I know though. 

I have literally never heard it until now, and only because it was in the NYTimes Connections puzzle for today, and then only because my son told me that was the answer.

My son started referencing hip-hop songs, so maybe that's the deal. I never listened to hip-hop. I can count on one hand the hip-hop tunes I listen to now and then.

• Like 1

I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

It’ll happen to you!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

The new AMG GT coupe is gorgeous. MB really nailed it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5ef93ec68f09f434d7fb7cc648729662.jpeg

MB is making great looking cars (the interior maybe not quite so much). Even the four door looks good. I took a look at those when I got the E450 but couldn’t justify the cost as I go into the college years. Maybe a 60th bday present for myself when they are done. 

6 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I took a look at those when I got the E450 but couldn’t justify the cost as I go into the college years. Maybe a 60th bday present for myself when they are done. 

Im not trying to hate but late 50s is a bit old to still be attending college

• Haha 1

Im not trying to hate but late 50s is a bit old to still be attending college

But once he graduates he will be able to afford some bad ass cars

I also didn’t know about whip until doing the connections the other day
  • Hook 'Em 1

i just learned that in the current c63 mercedes went away from their v8 down to a 2 liter 4 cylinder (!!!)... but it still makes 480hp? the fuck? and it has electric motors too for 680hp combined peak? bizarro universe up in here

i just learned that in the current c63 mercedes went away from their v8 down to a 2 liter 4 cylinder (!!!)... but it still makes 480hp? the fuck? and it has electric motors too for 680hp combined peak? bizarro universe up in here

Pretty amazing what they are doing with 4 bangers. And the 3 cylinder Yaris/Corolla engine is a beast.

On 6/1/2024 at 5:53 AM, 52-80 said:

The 2.0 turbo four is becoming the 5.x liter V8 of the modern car.  I have one rated at 295hp in my lil caddy, the other option was the 3.6NA V6.  The tuner boys like the four better because there are more tunes and aftermarket shit for it, where 4-500hp is not out of the question, once you put in forged pistons and rods and some other stuff.

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The 2.0 turbo four is becoming the 5.x liter V8 of the modern car.  I have one rated at 295hp in my lil caddy, the other option was the 3.6NA V6.  The tuner boys like the four better because there are more tunes and aftermarket shit for it, where 4-500hp is not out of the question, once you put in forged pistons and rods and some other stuff.

Yes, that's true but I've never driven a 4 cyl that wasn't buzzie and un-refined and that includes BMW, MB and Audi. The purest don't like it and there's talk of them going back to the V8.

Mercedes-AMG might go back to V8s in the C 63 and E 63 - Autoblog

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Pretty amazing what they are doing with 4 bangers. And the 3 cylinder Yaris/Corolla engine is a beast.

280 OEM hp or something out of those too. Utterly insane. 

Wife just replaced her aging 6cyl Outback with a Mazda CX 50 2.5 Turbo. Liking it so far.

First time I’ve dealt with a dealer since 2015. Still a PITA.

052ea8979c0df4cf0812e373a5be1a56.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hard Times said:

Yes, that's true but I've never driven a 4 cyl that wasn't buzzie and un-refined and that includes BMW, MB and Audi. The purest don't like it and there's talk of them going back to the V8.

Mercedes-AMG might go back to V8s in the C 63 and E 63 - Autoblog

Good. Some cars should always have a V8. C63's and E63's are two of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexPx said:

Wife just replaced her aging 6cyl Outback with a Mazda CX 50 2.5 Turbo. Liking it so far.

First time I’ve dealt with a dealer since 2015. Still a PITA.

052ea8979c0df4cf0812e373a5be1a56.jpg

I’m considering this exact swap for my 3.6R Outback too. Hopefully, I can get a few more years out of the Subaru first though 

• Like 1

I’m considering this exact swap for my 3.6R Outback too. Hopefully, I can get a few more years out of the Subaru first though 

Never had any issues with my 3.6s and it was our third one. Not a fan of their CVT tranny paired with the 2.5 four in the new one. CX has more torque and like most all Mazdas it’s just more fun to drive.

On 6/6/2024 at 7:38 AM, TexPx said:

Never had any issues with my 3.6s and it was our third one. Not a fan of their CVT tranny paired with the 2.5 four in the new one. CX has more torque and like most all Mazdas it’s just more fun to drive.

2.5l sucks bad, but the 2.4l turbo in the XT is fun. The CVT reminds me of a smooth shifting old 3-4 speed auto and it’s a lot more relaxing in traffic than my ZL1.  Great sound system and tech, rubber floor mats and came tuned to 90.5. I’m going to throw on my Chacos and live the dream.  I would have preferred the Onyx visually, but went with the Touring to get ventilated seats.  

IMG_0872.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This year’s trip to Germany and then to the beach in France has been completed and I usually give a little update on the cars we saw.

For the first time in a many years I saw a bunch of Rolls. This year I saw four. The Bentley sightings were plentiful around St. Tropez. I saw five cars and two of the SUVs. The Continentals are really beautiful. There is one guy I see each year who drives the courtesy car for  I think the Hotel de Paris in St. Tropez and all he does is drive about a six-block square. This year he was driving a Flying Spur. And I just laugh because here he is driving one of the best cars, ever, and he can only drive about 20 km per hour, at tops.

Saw three Alpine 110s, two were blue and one was white. I do like them.

Saw a bunch of Ford Rangers. Saw about 10 Ford Mustangs. They were all newer models. Last year I saw a bunch of vintage Mustangs.

Of course there were a normal numbers of Porsche 911s, always nice. We did see a decent number of Ferrari too. Two were Romas, which I find incredibly sexy.

The funniest of the whole trip was the Dodge Ram in the parking garage in St. Tropez. I posted a picture of that in the parking thread. 

When I spent my first summer with the relatives in Germany I remember them telling me how all of our American cars “were sooooo big” and now I constantly remind them of all the Q7s, big BMW X7s and the big Mercedes SUVs that there are an how my cars are smaller.