The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

4 hours ago, G650 said:

It's a fucking go kart driven by women and middle aged men having a mid life crisis.

CSB warning

Spoiler

My wife as a young girl had fond memories of helping her dad work on the old family car.  (mostly just keeping him company and handing him tools)   He died just after buying her a car when she turned 16.  16 years later of the blue she mentions that she'd like to know more about working on cars and maybe RESTORE ONE.  Tha fuck!?  We talked a little bit about it and time passed...  then she brought it up again.... and again.   So I started looking for a cool easy project because once we got into it I knew the nostalgia would fade and the greasy grimy reality would set in.  Plus what the hell man? I'm the one who should be suggesting stupid shit to do... that's my job!

We settled on the idea of an early Porsche 356...  so cool, so simple, I have a 12mm wrench

The problem remained, we had a lot of other things going on and not a lot of time to do a resto right or even competently...  parts would be a pain and neither one of use were mechanics or wanted to be.   So I began to sabotage the project (fish aren't going to catch themselves)   After talking for a while about what she wanted out of this, the answer was clear, her end goal was NOT to restore a car.  She wanted to know how they work, know her way around them and do some projects completed in 2-4 hrs in a clean garage like they do on TV.

I found a target 356 and before even going to look at it made a pros and cons list Vs a hypothetical modern 2 seat roadster 

Pros

356 is fucking cool

Rare and beautiful

Small / fits in garage

and is fucking cool

Cons

Reliability

availability of parts

community support

safety 

cost

performance

AC - not fucking cool

top leaks

wind noise

oil leaks

etc...

For us it was a no brainer.   

Fun 2 seat convertibles at the time:  Miata, S2000, or z3 

Factors:

cheap, gently used, out of warranty...   advantage Miata (over 1 million sold) 

Clean straight body...  I'm not doing body work, fuck you sanding

User/community support...   although s2k has a big enthusiast community it was mostly ricer/fast and furious crowd with how tos on big ass muffler tips, lowering and stereo install.   The clincher really was the Miata community.  Really really incredible real performance minded folks...and some idiots.  If you want to get into and argument about flame front propagation, you can on Miata.net   Anything you want to do to this car has been done and documented.  Which really turns the Miata into a bunch of easy projects to do anything you want...  Parts are cheap,  plentiful, and support is fantastic

We did these togther...

Intake / exhaust (ezpz)

Bigger brakes

Suspension Shocks and Sway bars

Forced induction (NA-NB motors were born to be turbo'd)

Engine Management (stand alone ecu)

Radiator and cooling

Intercooling / injection

Rollbar install

The turbo install was the longest project, took a weekend... and a lot of cussing.  Oil supply line sucks

Drove it for a few years, almost got arrested, sold it within 7 days of listing it, and got my money back...  I figured it was that or the LS motor swap. 

I would love to do something like that with my 15yr old, but no way am I going to put him behind the wheel of a 275 bhp / 2450lb convertible....  no fucking way

Edited by Loco
spoiler-ed longcat
  • Like 2

Anyone want a new 1966-77 Ford Bronco? Only cost you 100k+

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/07/1966-ford-bronco-gateway/

For anyone who loves the original Ford Bronco, we have some fantastic news for you. Gateway Broncos and Ford have just reached a licensing agreement that allows Gateway to build limited numbers of 1966-77 Broncos. This isn't just some cheesy take on the original Bronco either. Gateway is building these trucks with Ford's blessing, and they come with up to a five-year bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Gateway was started by Seth Burgett in 2016 as a Bronco restoration company, but it's quickly grown into something much more than that. We've seen recreations like the Icon Bronco, but nobody has this kind of an agreement with Ford to remake the vehicle. These new trucks from Gateway won't just be restored, but rather, they're going to be crafted with new metal all around. If you want, Gateway will build you an entirely new body and frame. That's right, no donor car or scrapping necessary. Every last bit of the vehicle can be brand new, just as Ford intended when they rolled into the world in 1966. However, the option of restoring an existing vehicle or putting a new body onto a vintage frame remains.

To begin, Gateway will offer three models of the Bronco it calls the Fuelie, Coyote Edition and Modern Day Warrior. These range in price from $120,000-$180,000. Gateway is improving upon original Broncos with new technology, in addition to making them appear original. The Coyote Edition gets a Ford 5.0-liter V8 predictably, as does the Modern Day Warrior model. The Fuelie makes do with a 347 Stroker. Four-wheel disc brakes from Willwood are included to make stopping the now-faster truck less stressful. Noise and vibration reductions are engineered into the new vehicle too.

One could draw comparisons with Singer 911s, but these guys are even different from them. Gateway is literally adding first-generation Broncos to the road, and not just bringing back to life what has already existed for half a century. The caveat with this one is the new technology being put into them. There's certainly something to be said for making it exactly the way it was from the factory, but the power and reliability of new engines is tough to argue with.

With the new Bronco(s) on their way, excitement around the model name is building to a fevered pitch. If the new one isn't exactly your cup of tea when it's eventually revealed, options abound. That is, if you have the princely sums of cash Gateway Broncos is asking — the company says it expects to build four vehicles per month in 2019.

On 12/14/2018 at 5:45 PM, PorscheGuy said:

Picked up new Porsche I ordered late summer

Panamera 4 S e-hybrid

Dolomite silver, Black accents
Had some of badging deleted
Acid green breaks changed to black
Painted crest on the 22” wheels
4 zone ac/ 4 heated and cooled seats
Touch screen operations in back
Chalk interior with brushed alum trim
Black carpet, mats

Way faster then my ‘16 hybrid
Added torque and HP are very noticeable
4 wheel drive really makes up for the weight of the car compared to the real wheel drive version
Steering in far superior as well, especially in sport plus mode.
Love I get 30 plus miles of full electric.
Expect 50-60 mpg city. Only driven 40 miles daily on average

Gear selection will take some getting used to. Have to toggle from reverse to drive. Press a button for park

This will due till kids get old enough to drive and a 911 makes more logical sense.

0378afefa3ab973ad4a3bf25268ef471.jpg26f468fceb8e5e5d63f1e72949b18cc7.jpg

Nice chick car.

-Signed, guy with chick car.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2018 at 4:45 PM, PorscheGuy said:

Panamera 4 S e-hybrid

Black carpet, mats

4 wheel drive really makes up for the weight of the car compared to the real wheel drive version

Gear selection will take some getting used to. Have to toggle from reverse to drive. Press a button for park

This will due till kids get old enough to drive and a 911 makes more logical sense.

It’s not a boat. 

It’s a yacht 

26 minutes ago, elfenix said:

was it the pastor's wife?

My buddy who runs the local Porsche/Jag/Rover dealers was shooting the shit with one of his delivery guys awhile back. Driver said he had to make a run up to Roanoke with two Bentleys., for the pastor and his son.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, PorscheGuy said:

Panamera 4 S e-hybrid

Black carpet, mats

well done!  that silver is beautiful.  I bought my wife's cayenne at Park Place up near DFW.  Insane dealership.  Enjoy!

On 12/7/2018 at 10:19 PM, Sandman said:

Anyone want a new 1966-77 Ford Bronco? Only cost you 100k+

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/07/1966-ford-bronco-gateway/

I visited their facility yesterday with a guy I know is currently having one built.  It was really impressive.  There are a lot of restoration and resto-mods going on there, but they showed me the half built version of the very first "new" old bronco.  It's a total beast.  Apparently Ford has let them license the Carroll Shelby name and badging for it. The version I saw was a 5.0L Coyote motor with a Shelby/Whipple Super charger that is slated to put out 835hp at the wheels.  it was mated to a 6 speed raptor transmission.  It had king suspension (which I'm told was designed for stability at highway speeds, but still provide a fair amount of travel off-road.  Long story short.  If I won the powerball, I'd have to get one.

Edit to say that unfortunately Pics were not a possibility.

Edited by BTW
no pics

This morning, before the weather changes later today I took the '98 911 out, top down, and then the '68 Buick Riviera. Not a bad day for a couple short drives. Put about 60 miles on both. It's amazing how different the brakes are between the two. The Riviera still has its original drums and the Porsche has what would be comparable to Westinghouse Air Brakes.

• Like 3