College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

2 hours ago, Big Frog II said:

The Big 10 and the Pac 12 screwed this up from the start.  We should not change a damned thing to get them out of the mess they created.

I agree but the likelihood that everything that is scheduled to start next month goes off with out a hitch I just don't see happening. I hope to hell I am wrong but I just don't see it. 

The Big 10 pulled the trigger too soon because they had games starting before everyone else, they should have kicked the can down the road like everyone else to try and save any sort of season they could. With the push back and the financial loss coming to roost they had no other option to say we don't care if people laugh at us we have to do what we can to play. 

4 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Maybe this is 2020 related to CFB, could this sell off be due to the uncertainty in future sporting event broadcast..?

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1299517511482761216?s=21

DirectTV + AT&T has been a shitshow from what relatives have said.  This sounds like AT&T is streamlining  and tossing dead weight (see them gutting DC Comics).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mdmost said:

About 2 weeks in and the spread is getting massive. High schools have to seeing the same thing just high schools aren't actively testing their students so it's going mostly untested. Right now looking at 2 scenarios: 1) get so insanely lucky that by pure chance the virus mutated at just the right time to not be as damaging as before, or 2) the hospitalizations and deaths are on deck and are going to hit hard very soon just like when bars opened in June and deaths/hospitalizations shot up in July. 

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

About 2 weeks in and the spread is getting massive. High schools have to seeing the same thing just high schools aren't actively testing their students so it's going mostly untested. Right now looking at 2 scenarios: 1) get so insanely lucky that by pure chance the virus mutated at just the right time to not be as damaging as before, or 2) the hospitalizations and deaths are on deck and are going to hit hard very soon just like when bars opened in June and deaths/hospitalizations shot up in July. 

I am really curious to see what happens at UT. Travis county is on its best 7 day new CV19 case run since mid June and is close to establishing a new threshold down from the 200-300 new cases/day range into the 100-200 cases a day range. Obviously lack of discipline being shown in cell phone videos from off campus UT parties could fuck all that up. Any data from high schools to your point will show up in the age group testing numbers (at an aggregate level). Bear in mind a lot of HS are virtual the first 4 weeks so you may not see the data there you think you would. (until a time where kids are back at scale)

Cases in the 10 to 19 & 20 to 29 age ranges for Travis County over the next couple of weeks will be really telling and show what if anything is happening at UT.

On 8/29/2020 at 9:59 AM, Wanker Bob said:

Well lucky for us, the virus is clearly weakening, deaths and hospitalizations are down, and people under 20 at at close to zero risk from this. And treatments have vastly improved across the world. Meanwhile, we have psychos like Gavin Newsome claiming that they will "follow the science" and let positive test rates and cases lead over deaths and hospitalizations. Even if California reaches LESS THAN 1 positive test per day out of 100,000, businesses will only be allowed to open with restrictions and "modifications." In a bankrupt state with 40 million people, and after a very public scandal with the testing numbers. This shit has become fucking insane. This obsession with testing, "cases" and "percent positive" is fucking idiotic. All of these decisions are being made using highly inaccurate results that take far too long to do anything to "control the spread". And now even the NYT is finally reporting that up to 90% of the positive results from PCR test are people no longer contagious and who don't need to isolate.

But sure, you can go ahead and wait for all the hospitalizations and deaths that are "on deck." I am sure the refrigerator trucks are all on standby. 

Edited by blacklab
take that shit to CR
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

Well lucky for us, the virus is clearly weakening, deaths and hospitalizations are down, and people under 20 at at close to zero risk from this. And treatments have vastly improved across the world. Meanwhile, we have psychos like Gavin Newsome claiming that they will "follow the science" and let positive test rates and cases lead over deaths and hospitalizations. Even if California reaches LESS THAN 1 positive test per day out of 100,000, businesses will only be allowed to open with restrictions and "modifications." In a bankrupt state with 40 million people, and after a very public scandal with the testing numbers. This shit has become fucking insane. This obsession with testing, "cases" and "percent positive" is fucking idiotic. All of these decisions are being made using highly inaccurate results that take far too long to do anything to "control the spread". And now even the NYT is finally reporting that up to 90% of the positive results from PCR test are people no longer contagious and who don't need to isolate.

But sure, you can go ahead and wait for all the hospitalizations and deaths that are "on deck." I am sure the refrigerator trucks are all on standby. 

That sure is confident. 

I know a Sr. dr. who is dealing with this shit right now at the Methodist. Hes a red ass republican and Trump supporter and as of 3 days ago said said something quite different to a group of us when asked if he'd let his son play FB this season.

I guess we'll see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Well lucky for us, the virus is clearly weakening, deaths and hospitalizations are down, and people under 20 at at close to zero risk from this.

Feel free to cite some data or a study to back up this claim that the virus is "weakening." The most widely held theory about this is that since more young people are getting infected, the overall death rate is lower. It is theoretically possible the virus could mutate to become more easily transmissible, and less lethal, but I have seen no concrete evidence this is occurring. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Daughter lives in Jester and they randomly tested 300 kids that just moved in and got zero positives

Everyone around campus is wearing a mask and there's some serious peer pressure to keep them on, no one wants to go home.

My daughter has seen people get yelled at for not wearing them outside

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Daughter lives in Jester and they randomly tested 300 kids that just moved in and got zero positives
Everyone around campus is wearing a mask and there's some serious peer pressure to keep them on, no one wants to go home.

Pics of daughter?

Outside? Lol. That’s ridiculous
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, AUS-97HORN said:

not sure why you are being a dick here.

It’s really more of a celebration of football occurring, but yea pointing out all the false prognosticators is a bonus. 

There are also some spot on predictions about this from March and April that should be revisited. Maybe I’ll do one of those too

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Since CFB is starting up on TV here in a bit, just wanted to drop in and say get fucked everyone. College football is at least starting.

Since I’m quoted I’ll respond. My opinion has changed throughout this thread from what you quoted to they’ll definitely try to play because of money. I also think it’ll end up being a pretty messy, disjointed season and won’t really feel anything like what CFB should be. We’ll see. 

1 hour ago, SimkinsMan said:

Feel free to cite some data or a study to back up this claim that the virus is "weakening." The most widely held theory about this is that since more young people are getting infected, the overall death rate is lower. It is theoretically possible the virus could mutate to become more easily transmissible, and less lethal, but I have seen no concrete evidence this is occurring. 

Sorry, what I really mean is that the viruses' impact has weakened, not that the virus itself has mutated into a less virulent form, though there have been studies (disputed of course) suggesting a weaker viral load. And I am not saying that the virus isn't dangerous. It is, however, very dangerous to a very specific group, and that group does not include the college age or younger demographic. College-aged students testing positive on a PCR test is not something society should be overly concerned about. And obsessing over raw case numbers and using that metric to drive state and local decisions about people's fucking livelihoods is borderline criminal at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Texas needs to be doing this in the dorms.

• Hook 'Em 3