Fitlump fucking won an Austin City Council seat

atomheartbevo

Just now, Jerry Callo said:

Doesn't have to be.  If we found out the NotActuallyALonghorn was running for local dog catcher, someone would start a thread about it.  Regardless of your political or policy views, we would comment about your social media posts, the dumb things you say in public, that ill fitting sport coat you insist on wearing at every damn function, etc.

8badmofo31 for Governor. 

9 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Doesn't have to be.  If we found out the NotActuallyALonghorn was running for local dog catcher, someone would start a thread about it.  Regardless of your political or policy views, we would comment about your social media posts, the dumb things you say in public, that ill fitting sport coat you insist on wearing at every damn function, etc.

And we would post the nudes, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, skittlebrau said:

This would all be very entertaining if it wasn't my district.

And also, one vote doesn't make a difference on things like homelessness or APD, but losing Jimmy to MK would make a significant dent in the urbanist block when it comes to land development reform.

All you have to do is make people aware of certain public information. 

Remember it won't take that many votes to get elected in a run off ballot

9 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t live in Austin and don’t follow ACC. Perhaps she knew she’d get smoked and it being Austin, I’d be surprised if she was continually elected. Don’t know. All I know is she is no Kelly in a lot of respects, and she gives me a PantsTent. 

She would have been re-elected and might have been unopposed. 

28 minutes ago, skittlebrau said:

This would all be very entertaining if it wasn't my district.

And also, one vote doesn't make a difference on things like homelessness or APD, but losing Jimmy to MK would make a significant dent in the urbanist block when it comes to land development reform.

Agreed. Unlike Troxclair, MK would take the GOPs new and totally incoherent anti-property rights position on zoning.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 minute ago, futureman said:

“young, smart, and dynamic...”

Yeah, "chubby, stupid, and drunk" was already copywritten  by John Landis. 

Edited by Lobo

12 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Jay Wiley has entered the chat

"We have had enough clown shows in politics recently and cannot afford another in our backyard."

Give the guy credit for properly assessing the current state of things on the council.   You can decide whether adding another / different clown to it, that of the Kelly type, will be addition or subtraction to the circus. 

And let's keep any dick pictures out of this.   Kelly has that market (semi / somewhat) cornered. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

This fucking dingus is going to end up making laws.

Let that sink in for a minute.

She's not going to be able to do shit.   1 vs. 10 isn't going to get you many places.  Kelly will be lucky to have someone smell her fart, on a good day. 

Now the comedic relief she can bring to things is another discussion, a much larger one. 

9 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

She's not going to be able to do shit.   1 vs. 10 isn't going to get you many places.  Kelly will be lucky to have someone smell her fart, on a good day. 

Now the comedic relief she can bring to things is another discussion, a much larger one. 

Agreed. The exchanges between her and the moron majority on the dais should be epic. The dunce cap is ready & waiting for her.

24 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

So, what’s Jay’s Surly handle?

I don't know him, but we know a lot of the same people and he's apparently a really good person. 

23 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

False - Ellen Troxclair was exceptionally productive. There's not one big 10 vote majority on this council, regardless of what Todd Jeffries imagines. Remember - power struggles in Austin revolve around land use. There are two factions, and they don't see eye to eye at all. And then there's the mayor, who really isn't a part of either faction. He doesn't appear to be comfortable moving forward on anything of consequence without at least a 7 and preferably 8 vote majority, even when he's on the losing end. 

One faction currently has a one vote majority. That seat is IMPORTANT. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

52 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

41 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Agreed. The exchanges between her and the moron majority on the dais should be epic. The dunce cap is ready & waiting for her.

We may have to have game day-style commentary going on if she wins, and gets to throw the crazy shit around.

Shame that rock-throwing tow truck drivers can't run for City Council from prison, because that would have rounded out Surly's 2020.

32 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don't know him, but we know a lot of the same people and he's apparently a really good person. 

False - Ellen Troxclair was exceptionally productive. There's not one big 10 vote majority on this council, regardless of what Todd Jeffries imagines. Remember - power struggles in Austin revolve around land use. There are two factions, and they don't see eye to eye at all. And then there's the mayor, who really isn't a part of either faction. He doesn't appear to be comfortable moving forward on anything of consequence without at least a 7 and preferably 8 vote majority, even when he's on the losing end. 

One faction currently has a one vote majority. That seat is IMPORTANT. 

I can't even begin to equate Troxy with Kelly.   One was / is very sound between the ears, well respected on the council (albeit most often disagreed with) and could be taken seriously.

I don't see the huge disparity / difference but will defer.   What's the breakdown of said faction? 

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We may have to have game day-style commentary going on if she wins, and gets to throw the crazy shit around.

Shame that rock-throwing tow truck drivers can't run for City Council from prison, because that would have rounded out Surly's 2020.

Why not Derka? 😉

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

I can't even begin to equate Troxy with Kelly.   One was / is very sound between the ears, well respected on the council (albeit most often disagreed with) and could be taken seriously.

I don't see the huge disparity / difference but will defer.   What's the breakdown of said faction? 

Sure, but the vote matters. And here's how I see it on the current council:

Faction A, broadbrush: wants Austin to adapt through infill and transit investments, supports LDC reform, pro-property rights: Renteria, Casar, Garza, Harper-Madison, Flannigan,  Ellis
Faction B, broadbrush: Sees sprawl and moving jobs out of downtown to the suburbs* as a mitigation strategy for growth, pro-petition rights and extremely protective of current zoning: Alter, Pool, Tovo, Kitchen

So as you can see above - code reform has 6 votes, 7 including the Mayor. 

Alter will probably win but it's not a sure thing, and Virden** has essentially the same alignment on land use and transit, which is what matters. So no change there.

If Flannigan loses, Kelly is almost certain to join the anti-developer, anti-infill side as she has indicated. That's different from Zimmerman or Troxclair, who were both supportive of property rights. It means Alder has to be the sixth vote on zoning cases and LDC reform, which he has demonstrated real reluctance about. 

*I'm serious, they actually have mused on the dais about how to move employers out of Central Austin to the suburbs, tax base and all, in order to preserve the zoning in central Austin as-is. 

** By the way - Virden's approach to affordability is essentially the root cause of California's affordability issues: cap supply with zoning, and then prevent mobility by capping taxes on homesteads. It's a blueprint for permanent housing shortage. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Faction A, broadbrush: wants Austin to adapt through infill and transit investments, supports LDC reform, pro-property rights: Renteria, Casar, Garza, Harper-Madison, Flannigan,  Ellis
Faction B, broadbrush: Sees sprawl and moving jobs out of downtown to the suburbs* as a mitigation strategy for growth, pro-petition rights and extremely protective of current zoning: Alter, Pool, Tovo, Kitchen

Alter will probably win but it's not a sure thing, and Virden** has essentially the same alignment on land use and transit, which is what matters. So no change there.

If Flannigan loses, Kelly is almost certain to join the anti-developer, anti-infill side as she has indicated. That's different from Zimmerman or Troxclair, who were both supportive of property rights. It means Alder has to be the sixth vote on zoning cases and LDC reform, which he has demonstrated real reluctance about. 

*I'm serious, they actually have mused on the dais about how to move employers out of Central Austin to the suburbs, tax base and all, in order to preserve the zoning in central Austin as-is. 

** By the way - Virden's approach to affordability is essentially the root cause of California's affordability issues: cap supply with zoning, and then prevent mobility by capping taxes on homesteads. It's a blueprint for permanent housing shortage. 

I wasn’t sure at first but I’m think Alter will lose.  Virden’s supporters were canvassing and talking up her comment about homeless needles not being for drugs, which while that could have been correct, it was simply tone deaf to lash back at your constituents.

https://www.honestaustin.com/2020/02/07/hundreds-of-needles-at-homeless-camp-not-for-drugs-says-council-member-alter/

We have 20+ tents under 183 at SW/McNeil and have had multiple issues with the homeless in this area and they decide to put the temp hotel right on the border of district 6 & 10.  Really bad timing for the runoff incumbents.

Obviously it depends on turnout but the general sentiment is that she needs to go.  Still not sure who I’ll vote for honestly.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Thank you for this recap.  

I often lament being represented by Pool.

I really hope Kelly loses. Austin doesn't need the lulz or chaos that will bring about.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I wasn’t sure at first but I’m think Alter will lose.  Virden’s supporters were canvassing and talking up her comment about homeless needles not being for drugs, which while that could have been correct, it was simply tone deaf to lash back at your constituents.

https://www.honestaustin.com/2020/02/07/hundreds-of-needles-at-homeless-camp-not-for-drugs-says-council-member-alter/

We have 20+ tents under 183 at SW/McNeil and have had multiple issues with the homeless in this area and they decide to put the temp hotel right on the border of district 6 & 10.  Really bad timing for the runoff incumbents.

Obviously it depends on turnout but the general sentiment is that she needs to go.  Still not sure who I’ll vote for honestly.

I agree on the issues, but on the other hand Alter is POPULAR with the neighborhood associations and they drive turnout during muni runoffs. Virden has a shot (and for the record, I dislike Allison Alter’s style on the dais very much), but I’ve seen what the ANC machine can do in a low turnout election.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I agree on the issues, but on the other hand Alter is POPULAR with the neighborhood associations and they drive turnout during muni runoffs. Virden has a shot (and for the record, I dislike Allison Alter’s style on the dais very much), but I’ve seen what the ANC machine can do in a low turnout election.

Alter and her husband walk our neighborhood almost every night it seems - at certain times, it's almost guaranteed we will see her.  During the before-time, when the neighborhood pool would be open during the summer, she'd make an appearance multiple times a week in the evening, and would swing by all of the neighborhood gatherings.  I know she occasionally reads Nextdoor, and she or her husband were following one of the neighborhood listservs.

She knows how to keep her seat.

Hell, I'm surprised we still have a homeless guy living under the Shoal Creek/34th street bridge, below the elementary school, there's no way she's missed some of the discussions about that.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/13/2020 at 8:54 PM, B00M said:

specifically why?

I have voted against her both times shes come up for reelection specifically because of her vote to kick out Uber & Lyft under the bullshit guise of protecting Austin from the hordes of Uber/Lyft drivers raping every time they took on a female passenger.  Of course the fact that the guy who owned Yellow Cab had donated $5k to all 7 of the Council members who voted to kick them out is TOTALLY cooincidental-amirite?

That 20 month time frame where we lost the ability to use those 2 companies there was a noticable uptick in the number of DUI arrests in this fucking city....  She and the rest of those clowns were happy to put $5k in their reelection coffers, while increasing DUI revenue for the city, and inconvienceing a shitload of folks just so they could say they had stood up to the Silicon Valley billionaires

Plus she's a repeater mouthpiece for whoever happens to be sitting in the mayor's seat. votes with the Mayor in lockstep, never thinking for her constituents instead.

but somehow this fucking district 7 electorate keeps reupping her at a fucking 67% rate. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I have voted against her both times shes come up for reelection specifically because of her vote to kick out Uber & Lyft under the bullshit guise of protecting Austin from the hordes of Uber/Lyft drivers raping every time they took on a female passenger.  Of course the fact that the guy who owned Yellow Cab had donated $5k to all 7 of the Council members who voted to kick them out is TOTALLY cooincidental-amirite?

That 20 month time frame where we lost the ability to use those 2 companies there was a noticable uptick in the number of DUI arrests in this fucking city....  She and the rest of those clowns were happy to put $5k in their reelection coffers, while increasing DUI revenue for the city, and inconvienceing a shitload of folks just so they could say they had stood up to the Silicon Valley billionaires

Plus she's a repeater mouthpiece for whoever happens to be sitting in the mayor's seat. votes with the Mayor in lockstep, never thinking for her constituents instead.

but somehow this fucking district 7 electorate keeps reupping her at a fucking 67% rate. 

Her opponent this past election was favored by the hardcore progressives here specifically because Pool is not a vote Adler can always count on. Her opponent was even further left. Did you write-in a more conservative candidate or did you vote against your own interests?

16 hours ago, B00M said:

Her opponent this past election was favored by the hardcore progressives here specifically because Pool is not a vote Adler can always count on. Her opponent was even further left. Did you write-in a more conservative candidate or did you vote against your own interests?

Just to be clear: the faction that opposes Pool are not “hard core progressives”. There are a handful of those, but it’s more like a coalition of them with transit nerds, free market/property rights people, various real estate business categories, renters, people under 40, etc. 

The whole left/right template just doesn’t apply at the municipal level, 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Fitlump fucking won an Austin City Council seat