Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

2 hours ago, happyfunball said:

You mean the party that has embraced the following political rhetoric

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/kkk-flyers-found-in-metro-atlanta-neighborhood

Trump hasn't endangered Republicans but shown who they really are without cover of dog whistling.  

I don't disagree, but if they think he's going to get blown out in 2020 and they might get run in Senate elections (possibly facing a filibuster proof Dem majority) in 2021, they may chuck him over the edge for the stability of Mike Pence.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I don't disagree, but if they think he's going to get blown out in 2020 and they might get run in Senate elections (possibly facing a filibuster proof Dem majority) in 2021, they may chuck him over the edge for the stability of Mike Pence.

If this map gives you +10-ish dems, I'll eat my hat. A long way out tho.

2020_Senate_election_map_as_of_2018-03-0

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

The question is how many GOP members of Congress would stick with him. I think most would, especially in the House.

They, as a whole,  aren’t loyal to him.  They are loyal to what gets them elected and gives them power, and he will probably cost them control of the House as it is.   If he did something this stupid and horrifying, he’s given their opponents everything they need to defeat them in 2020, further stripping their power.  

Now there are so,e that appear very dirty with ties to Russia.  They will go down with Trump.  But the rest won’t.  

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Heard an excerpt from the Axios interview on NPR this am. In response to the interviewer pointing out that this is an actual amendment to the Constitution, Trump said something like

"They are telling me I can do that with an executive order."

The obvious question to me would be: "Who? Who is telling you that you can do that with an executive order?" But that question didn't get asked, at least in the clip they played.

Anytime someone says "They are saying" or "they are telling me" or "I am hearing", the immediate follow up should be "Who? Specifically, who? Names, please."

Dollar says Bolton and glue eatin' Miller 

Hitler was a murderous cunt coward, for sure.  But compared to Trump, he was Richard the Lionheart. 

Hitler fought in the trenches of WWI, spent time in prison and was involved in street fights. They helped make him a tyrant.

Had Trump served in Vietnam and got his ass kicked a few times, he’d probably be better off for it.

6 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Hitler fought in the trenches of WWI, spent time in prison and was involved in street fights. They helped make him a tyrant.

Had Trump served in Vietnam and got his ass kicked a few times, he’d probably be better off for it.

Yep and was awarded an Iron Cross...was speaking mostly of his pussy suicide. 

The verified Trumpkins are on full attack: 

"This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the government of the United States" 

They actually think that reads as all foreigners. 

I actually don't have an issue with ending the birthright citizenship or in making it similar to what the UK does where at least one parent must be a citizen.

Plenty of countries have some type of requirement that at least one parent be a citizen in order to grant citizenship to a baby born in that country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

I actually don't have an issue with ending the birthright citizenship or in making it similar to what the UK does where at least one parent must be a citizen.

Plenty of countries have some type of requirement that at least one parent be a citizen in order to grant citizenship to a baby born in that country.

That's fine, but ending birthright citizenship requires amending the Constitution.

• Like 1

Trump is an elderly 300 pound elderly man who only stands up to play golf and give "speeches" at rallies. You can tell he uses spray tan, has had cosmetic surgery, and probably spends an hour a day on hair and makeup. He almost certainly has never been in a fistfight, shot a gun, been fishing, or done a day of manual labor in his life. I'd say he's as alpha and tough as Kim Kardashian, but I feel like that's an insult to Kim Kardashian. 

• Like 2

Storytime!

Blaring Rush Limbaugh and wanted to talk about Trump the minute I got in the car. Talked about black people all looking alike and “I don’t know if you’re a big Facebook person but I was reading this argument...” I couldn’t have made this person up better for the CR.

Anyone wanna guess age/race/sex?

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

If this map gives you +10-ish dems, I'll eat my hat. A long way out tho.

2020_Senate_election_map_as_of_2018-03-0

Jesus you’re dense.  It’s a tail scenario. If the Dems some out eck out a 52-48 this year, the economy craters, then it becomes kinda a Katie Bar The Door scenerio, where Pence is seen as triage. 

I didnt say it was likely. 

Edited by Bateshorn

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Blaring Rush Limbaugh and wanted to talk about Trump the minute I got in the car. Talked about black people all looking alike and “I don’t know if you’re a big Facebook person but I was reading this argument...” I couldn’t have made this person up better for the CR.

Anyone wanna guess age/race/sex?

Not black?

26 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

"This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the government of the United States" 

Then they must agree the 2nd only gives gun ownership rights to well regulated militia members. Slippery fuckin' slope.

16 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

We literally fought a war against the UK because they considered us subjects and not citizens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RPM said:

Then they must agree the 2nd only gives gun ownership rights to well regulated militia members. Slippery fuckin' slope.

I'd be willing to clarify birthright citizenship by constitutional amendment if we can also address the 2nd Amendment and the issue of corporate personhood.  Let's get to it.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Trumpkin constitutional opining...

E86F.gif

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

We literally fought a war against the UK because they considered us subjects and not citizens.

Not sure members of an established colony seeking independence is analogous to non-citizens coming to a country and having a baby in order to anchor themselves to the child's automatic citizenship to facilitate their own citizenship.

My comment on UK being a country that requires a parent be a citizen I don't think has anything to do with the Revolutionary War.

France, Germany, Australia, Ireland and others don't convey citizenship to children born to non-citizens/non-permanent residents automatically.

Just saying that the US wouldn't be only major country to add some "hair" to birth-based citizenship to foreign parents.

Just now, BrazilHorn said:

Not sure members of an established colony seeking independence is analogous to non-citizens coming to a country and having a baby in order to anchor themselves to the child's automatic citizenship to facilitate their own citizenship.

My comment on UK being a country that requires a parent be a citizen I don't think has anything to do with the Revolutionary War.

France, Germany, Australia, Ireland and others don't convey citizenship to children born to non-citizens/non-permanent residents automatically.

Just saying that the US wouldn't be only major country to add some "hair" to birth-based citizenship to foreign parents.

Anod those policies have led to some serious problems with immigrant communities in those countries that are unable to assimilate into the broader society. In Germany, it also at one point enabled the Holocaust.

5 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Also, those countries have a lot higher taxes and social support system. Do you support their policy of high taxes?

39 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

Trump is an elderly 300 pound elderly man who only stands up to play golf and give "speeches" at rallies. You can tell he uses spray tan, has had cosmetic surgery, and probably spends an hour a day on hair and makeup. He almost certainly has never been in a fistfight, shot a gun, been fishing, or done a day of manual labor in his life. I'd say he's as alpha and tough as Kim Kardashian, but I feel like that's an insult to Kim Kardashian. 

The perfect embodiment of 2018 Americans. 

The number of Constitutional scholars that show up when racism asks them to is amazing.  

I find the whole thing dumb.  EOs are for how the executive branch carries out something.  Citizenship is a state of being here.  What is the executive not going to do?  Not give these people passports?  Issue SSNs?  That's just an annoyance, not a change in the citizenship of the people.   

An EO can't change the constitution.  An EO can't change a statute  (8 USC 1401 "The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth: (a) a person born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof;").  

I would say a properly teed up suit in order of likelihood: (1) denies cert and never reaches SCOTUS; (2) goes 8-1/9-0 against Trump; (3) goes 5-4 along party lines with Roberts going liberal; (4) - (49) other; (50) Trump wins.

1 minute ago, happyfunball said:

Also, those countries have a lot higher taxes and social support system. Do you support their policy of high taxes?

I am not commenting more broadly than simply showing that if the US made an adjustment to birthright citizenship to require at least one parent to be a citizen/permanent resident that they wouldn't be "going it alone" in this regard.

I don't support banning outright but do believe that allowing citizenship to convey to a child simply due to being born in US doesn't make sense in today's easily globally connected world. There should be some connectivity between at least one parent and the US in order for the child to achieve citizenship.

I don't see how that would lead to the fears laid out above around a new Holocaust etc.

In terms of this issue politically it is not a real needle mover for me, and I do believe Trump is using this just to make noise/provide news cycle fodder. He can say this, get folks spun up and then do something crazy he can do via executive order.

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

I am not commenting more broadly than simply showing that if the US made an adjustment to birthright citizenship to require at least one parent to be a citizen/permanent resident that they wouldn't be "going it alone" in this regard.

I don't support banning outright but do believe that allowing citizenship to convey to a child simply due to being born in US doesn't make sense in today's easily globally connected world. There should be some connectivity between at least one parent and the US in order for the child to achieve citizenship.

I don't see how that would lead to the fears laid out above around a new Holocaust etc.

In terms of this issue politically it is not a real needle mover for me, and I do believe Trump is using this just to make noise/provide news cycle fodder. He can say this, get folks spun up and then do something crazy he can do via executive order.

You are trying to legitimize a racist policy that solves a problem that isn't an issue. It is news cycle fodder as you say and only reinforces Trump's racist base. By trying to legitimize this policy, you are enabling racist.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

My immigration law knowledge is weak. If parent A is in the MS-13 mob and is from Honduras and has a child in Houston with parent B from the same MS-13 mob who is from Guatemala then is the baby an Honduran and Guatemalan citizen or are they stateless? 

If the baby is born in Houston, it's a U.S. citizen.

No idea if it's Honduran or Guatemalan.