Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

18 minutes ago, TornACL said:

That's my favorite part of it.  Not only is it incredibly stupid but it's completely lacking any context to the conversation.

This is what we get when Trump thinks on his feet and doesn't have his same tired campaign podium talking points. Master negotiator, indeed!

He had that one in his back pocket. Had he commented off the cuff he would have said something like "take off, you hoser"

What is stupid is that he does try to make it about literal invasion and literal war with the tariffed country. 

I bet you I could come up with a plausible national security reason that doesn’t invoke stupid images of being invaded by Mounties .    Just say that it’s being done to support our steel producing capabilities here in United States ( necessary in a case of war ) and Mexico and Canada were chosen as targets because they benefit from so many other trades with United States that one industry tariff would not hurt the overall trade relationship. Boom. Done. 3 seconds of brainstorming. 

44 minutes ago, Tuco said:

In Trump's defense, Britain was Canada in 1812.  The British forces included Canadian militia.  It's a profoundly stupid thing to actually cite in a foreign policy discussion in 2018, but he's not entirely wrong.

And this is how Trump wins. One small part of an extremely fucking stupid thing to say is true so his supporters get to say he is right. And then they try to act like Rhodes Scholars about the War of 1812 on twitter for the next week like they knew it even existed before today. And they don't stop.

Again, stupid people talk far more than smart people now. And they win because they keep talking.

Edited by Dr. Teeth
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tuco said:

In Trump's defense, Britain was Canada in 1812.  The British forces included Canadian militia.  It's a profoundly stupid thing to actually cite in a foreign policy discussion in 2018, but he's not entirely wrong.

So former colonies are on the hook for whatever their colonizer was doing around the world while they were colonies?  That doesn't make much sense.   It seems to me that Canada post-confederation isn't the same thing as the territories in that region that belonged to Britain in 1812.    Just like whatever the Brits did in the Bahamas or India or anywhere before the American Revolution isn't reasonably attributable to the United States. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

23 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

What is stupid is that he does try to make it about literal invasion and literal war with the tariffed country. 

I bet you I could come up with a plausible national security reason that doesn’t invoke stupid images of being invaded by Mounties .    Just say that it’s being done to support our steel producing capabilities here in United States ( necessary in a case of war ) and Mexico and Canada were chosen as targets because they benefit from so many other trades with United States that one industry tariff would not hurt the overall trade relationship. Boom. Done. 3 seconds of brainstorming. 

If that rationale is acceptable, then the rule regarding POTUS' power to institute tariffs is 100% meaningless, because that logic could be stretched to cover any proposed restriction.

10 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

So former colonies are on the hook for whatever their colonizer was doing around the world while they were colonies?  That doesn't make much sense.   It seems to me that Canada post-confederation isn't the same thing as the territories in that region that belonged to Britain in 1812.    Just like whatever the Brits did in the Bahamas or India or anywhere before the American Revolution isn't reasonably attributable to the United States. 

Actually, it's something that some Canadians brag about. When generally being considered the US's unofficial northern state, there are some Canadians who will point out that they fought the US twice (Revolutionary War, War of 1812) with favorable results. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-canada-celebrates-the-war-of-1812-123828437/

http://www.pbs.org/wned/war-of-1812/essays/canadian/

21 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

And this is how Trump wins. One small part of an extremely fucking stupid thing to say is true so his supporters get to say he is right. And then they try to act like Rhodes Scholars about the War of 1812 on twitter for the next week like they knew it even existed before today. And they don't stop.

Again, stupid people talk far more than smart people now. And they win because they keep talking.

I think the best way to counter Trump is to not focus on the tiny slivers of arguable truth in the incredibly stupid things he says. That's why I bring it up.  If folks focus on the Canada v. British thing to attack Trump, the attack is blunted in the minutia.  It's much better to focus on the fact that it's entirely irrelevant to today's trade policy.  If he had cited the Revolutionary War as a reason why the UK shouldn't be a strategic ally, it'd be just as stupid. 

7 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Actually, it's something that some Canadians brag about. When generally being considered the US's unofficial northern state, there are some Canadians who will point out that they fought the US twice (Revolutionary War, War of 1812) with favorable results. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-canada-celebrates-the-war-of-1812-123828437/

http://www.pbs.org/wned/war-of-1812/essays/canadian/

Neither link is about bragging about burning down the WH. They're about Canadians relishing that the US attacks on them failed in what they see as "a defensive war."   Some Canadians may joke about burning down the WH, in the same way any of us has joking trash talk, but that doesn't make it reality.   The Brits burned it down. 

20 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Apparently Dotard commuted the sentence of the old hag Kim Kardashian spoke to him about last week.  Kim Kardashian has influence over the fucking DOTUS.  This shit is out of control.

"Old hag?" Do you know her or are you just prejudiced against her because Kim K. and Trump are her champions? I don't know anything about her other than that she's in jail for life for a non-violent drug offense. I think that's wrong and support the commutation of those types of sentences. Based on what I know, good for her. It's probably a worthy act.

It bothers me that it's done for the wrong reasons. It's a joke that KK gets an audience with the president. It's a joke to commute this sentence when your AG is doubling down on the failed War on Drugs and will seek to sentence more people in the same way for the same kind of offense. Hell, the president himself suggested the possibility of the death penalty to drug dealers. (Hi Duterte, good buddy!)

I hate the reality tv show presidency too but why bear this woman any ill will because she benefitted? 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Apparently Dotard commuted the sentence of the old hag Kim Kardashian spoke to him about last week.  Kim Kardashian has influence over the fucking DOTUS.  This shit is out of control.

I wish he would do more of those Obama-esqe commutations.  I guess he thinks that there is only one inmate with these facts.

*  Maybe this whole endeavor was the reason behind Kanye wearing a MAGA hat?

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

"Old hag?" Do you know her or are you just prejudiced against her because Kim K. and Trump are her champions? I don't know anything about her other than that she's in jail for life for a non-violent drug offense. I think that's wrong and support the commutation of those types of sentences. Based on what I know, good for her. It's probably a worthy act.

It bothers me that it's done for the wrong reasons. It's a joke that KK gets an audience with the president. It's a joke to commute this sentence when your AG is doubling down on the failed War on Drugs and will seek to sentence more people in the same way for the same kind of offense. Hell, the president himself suggested the possibility of the death penalty to drug dealers. (Hi Duterte, good buddy!)

I hate the reality tv show presidency too but why bear this woman any ill will because she benefitted? 

63 year-old = old hag.

truf.

1 minute ago, scottsins said:

I wish he would do more of those Obama-esqe commutations.  I guess he thinks that there is only one inmate with these facts.

*  Maybe this whole endeavor was the reason behind Kanye wearing a MAGA hat?

Kanye plays chess better than DOTUS.

32 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Pretty much this. The woman deserved a pardon, but the whole pardoning process under this President (an now likely President's to follow) is completely out of control.

Just now, yoladu said:

Pretty much this. The woman from what i can tell deserves to have her sentence commuted, but the whole pardoning process under this President (an now likely Presidents to follow) is completely out of control.

16 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

it makes you raise  your eyebrow a little because it came right after kanye putting on a maga hat.  his wife gets to meet with trump and he gives a pardon.  smelled a little like 'praise trump and  you too can get something.'

That's been established since his first international trip to Saudi Arabia. Millions of Yemenis are paying for that with their lives. 

Steve Vladeck @steve_vladeck
 Progression:

1. Nothing happened.

2. Nothing bad happened.

3. Nothing illegal happened.

4. The Constitution protects the President even if something illegal happened.

5. The Constitution is wrong.

What's next?

12:30 PM - Jun 6, 2018

Edited by retread

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Waiting for Trump to issue a pardon for Andy Dufresne after watching The Shawshank Redemption.

...or the warden.

{shit...I mean the guard.  Been a while...}

Edited by Tuco

Just now, TDunk said:

He seems to be normalizing the pardons.  Then when he does pardon someone for his personal gain, he can claim bias.  He isn't a genius, just a sleazeball trying to game the system.

It's been his life's work.

• Like 2

I watched a movie many years ago which had a scene like that.  There was a board meeting at some obviously mega-corporation.  The board room was just what you'd expect - very elegant and very formal.  All the board members looked like peas in a pod and all deferred greatly to Mr Big.  A lady came in with a tea cart of deserts, many very fancy deserts.  Mr Big looked them all over very carefully.  After a bit he finally said "I'll have the blueberry pie."   Going down the row each member studied the cart the same way for the same time then finally said "I'll have the blueberry pie."  Every other board member seemed to be totally bored and paying no attention. But when it got to the movie protagonist, a newly minted board member, he  selected the chocolate cake. Suddenly about thirty heads snapped and looked at him in horror.  Noticing the looks he said "On second thought I'll have the blueberry pie".  And all members visibly relaxed and resumed their bored distant look.