Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

Trump would be interested to that the line for Pete Souza and his book "Shade"   has already started forming outside the Long Center and his appearance isn't for another 5 hours.  3,000 people bought tickets to come see Pete and his book about the glaring lack of statesmanship in Pres. Trump.  That's more people than most Trump rallies attracts.  

I don’t understand why people are waiting for hours at rallies to hear trump lie to them.  And it’s not the normal political lies that we are used to from the past.  Like, “we’ve never been better” or statements that are basically opinions even if we know they are false.  Trump is making false statements like his claim at the rally last night that the stock exchange was open on sept 12, 2001.    

It wasn’t reopened until the 17th.    

And even when trump is presented with evidence he lied, his only response is that he heard it from someone else so he didn’t really lie.  The m-fer gets his facts from tweets to him from strangers or bots.  He believes CharlieUSA99 on Twitter more than his aides or national security team.   

This situation reminds me of the quote/exchange from the American President movie:

Lewis (Michael j Fox): People want leadership. And in the absence of genuine leadership, they will listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone. They want leadership, Mr. President. They’re so thirsty for it, they’ll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there’s no water, they’ll drink the sand.
Sheperd (Michael Douglas): Lewis, we’ve had Presidents who were beloved, who couldn’t find a coherent sentence with two hands and a flashlight. People don’t drink the sand because they’re thirsty, Lewis. They drink it because they don’t know the difference.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

And not only did he lie about the NYSE after 9/11, he got the name of the chairman wrong who he says supposedly took HIS advice to keep the NYSE open.

So, that's not some bullshit he got from someone - in that "story", the moral was the pussy chair of the NYSE (whose name he got wrong) was going to close it but it was TRUMP who convinced him to open it back up on 9/12.

So -

-he either misremembered the dude's name (dementia) or just fucking made it up

-made up a conversation in which he's the savior of the entire financial market

-told a whopper about a completely verifiable fact that he couldn't be bothered to Google, just to make sure he wouldn't be called on his bullshit immediately

That snapshot encapsulates how fundamentally dangerous he is.  He has basic failures of memory, fabricates conversations out of whole cloth, misattributes achievement to himself with only the purpose of making himself the hero, and lies about basic fact so carelessly that he knows can be disproven because he doesn't give a fuck and knows his brain-dead supporters WON'T CARE.

He's a comic book villain.  He's the fucking Penguin.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I’m a poor. I admit, I had to take my family to Copper Mountain a few years ago, before the era of President-Trump/2016. Since about November of 2016 an industrial conglomerate stock I’ve owned has gone from like $90 to $150.

That's awesome. Sorry your stock didn't participate in the run-up beginning 2009.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Eh, the only comic book stuff I watch/read are the Marvel shows, so I don't have a great well of knowledge to make an accurate analogy.

The Penguin is just the fattest, ugliest villain I could think of.

That's fair. But if you had to compare Trump to a Danny DeVito character, I think Frank from Always Sunny would be more accurate.

29 minutes ago, RPM said:

I couldn't even watch the full 45 seconds. Jesus Christ he's a horrible human being, if he is actually a human.

Talking about the press to a bunch of kids and implying their parents don’t really support him is just sad really. He is truly awful. 

6 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

That's awesome. Sorry your stock didn't participate in the run-up beginning 2009.

It probably did, I was just too poor and stupid to own any lol

I will be long gone, but it will be interesting when historians look back at the current times. There seems to be a trend in the world to move from globalism to nationalism...Trump, Brexit, Brazil electing a far right President, Germany's recent election, plus several other things. Is Trump influencing the rest of the world, or was his election just part of a global shift and he was in the right place at the right time? It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years. 

18 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I will be long gone, but it will be interesting when historians look back at the current times. There seems to be a trend in the world to move from globalism to nationalism...Trump, Brexit, Brazil electing a far right President, Germany's recent election, plus several other things. Is Trump influencing the rest of the world, or was his election just part of a global shift and he was in the right place at the right time? It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years. 

I’ll take “biggest business in the history of the world” for $200 Alex.

Not a fan of simplifying it that much but nothing generates profits like conflict.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

too busy to see the troops...

9 hours of ‘Executive Time’: Trump’s unstructured days define his presidency

President Donald Trump had about three times as much free time planned for last Tuesday as work time, according to his private schedule. The president was slated for more than nine hours of “Executive Time,” a euphemism for the unstructured time Trump spends tweeting, phoning friends and watching television. Official meetings, policy briefings and public appearances — traditionally the daily work of being president — consumed just over three hours of his day.

The president was slated to spend 30 minutes on the phone with CEOs and make brief remarks at a state leadership conference. He was briefed by senior military leaders in the evening and joined them for dinner. Apart from an 11:30 a.m. meeting with White House chief of staff John Kelly — his first commitment of the day — the rest of his day consisted of open time, some in blocks as long as 2 hours and 45 minutes.

The LA Times has an op-ed article that centers on the term "status anxiety" which is new to me, but seems pretty apropos.    It addresses the mindset of a lot of Trumpkins, this sense of not being enough in one way or another.   It doesn't address those Trump supporters that are college educated, however.   It's an interesting read, but it really could be expanded more as to how Trump not only shows signs of these insecurities, but uses them to advance himself by working on the insecurities, fears and pride of his followers. 

Now you can see something of the same sort of status anxiety feedback loop in the “Apprentice” host, and in his voters. (College graduates voted for Hillary Clinton, 52% to 43%. Those without a degree voted for Trump, 52% to 44%.)

Trump is the president of the United States, as he often reminds himself. And yet his status anxiety — about his intelligence, his competence, his attractiveness, his health, his net worth and his victory in 2016 — is deafening. Perhaps his voters, because they fear they lack education or small talk or grace with hors d’oeuvres plates, also feel left out of some mythic cocktail party. Maybe they identify with his impulse to overcompensate.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-heffernan-college-education-and-voting-20181028-story.html

6 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

The LA Times has an op-ed article that centers on the term "status anxiety" which is new to me, but seems pretty apropos.    It addresses the mindset of a lot of Trumpkins, this sense of not being enough in one way or another.   It doesn't address those Trump supporters that are college educated, however.   It's an interesting read, but it really could be expanded more as to how Trump not only shows signs of these insecurities, but uses them to advance himself by working on the insecurities, fears and pride of his followers. 

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-heffernan-college-education-and-voting-20181028-story.html

The appeal of Trump is he gives his supporters absolutism.  Whatever shortcomings or hardships they have in their lives isn’t their fault or responsibility.  It’s someone else’s fault.  It’s the democrats, the Deep State, the MSM, George Soros.  The Mexicans, Muslims, and Globalists are to blame and they believe it because the President of the United States says it’s true.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The appeal of Trump is he gives his supporters absolutism.  Whatever shortcomings or hardships they have in their lives isn’t their fault or responsibility.  It’s someone else’s fault.  It’s the democrats, the Deep State, the MSM, George Soros.  The Mexicans, Muslims, and Globalists are to blame and they believe it because the President of the United States says it’s true.

True, but he plays up those shortcomings and hardships.  He makes their plight seem worse than it is, to drive them deeper into the point of needing said absolutism.  He sets them up to knock them down kind of thing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

And not only did he lie about the NYSE after 9/11, he got the name of the chairman wrong who he says supposedly took HIS advice to keep the NYSE open.

So, that's not some bullshit he got from someone - in that "story", the moral was the pussy chair of the NYSE (whose name he got wrong) was going to close it but it was TRUMP who convinced him to open it back up on 9/12.

So -

-he either misremembered the dude's name (dementia) or just fucking made it up

-made up a conversation in which he's the savior of the entire financial market

-told a whopper about a completely verifiable fact that he couldn't be bothered to Google, just to make sure he wouldn't be called on his bullshit immediately

That snapshot encapsulates how fundamentally dangerous he is.  He has basic failures of memory, fabricates conversations out of whole cloth, misattributes achievement to himself with only the purpose of making himself the hero, and lies about basic fact so carelessly that he knows can be disproven because he doesn't give a fuck and knows his brain-dead supporters WON'T CARE.

He's a comic book villain.  He's the fucking Penguin.

It's gotten to the point where it doesn't surprise me and the hate for him has ebbed. But where are the Republicans in the Senate and Congress that just let him do all this???? Is it worse to be the man who is lying or the others who are letting him lie unchecked?

3 minutes ago, sachick said:

It's gotten to the point where it doesn't surprise me and the hate for him has ebbed. But where are the Republicans in the Senate and Congress that just let him do all this???? Is it worse to be the man who is lying or the others who are letting him lie unchecked?

Congress is far worse.  He is one stupid old man.  They are a collection of 535 individuals from across the spectrum (ok, still mainly old white guys, but there's some diversity in there) whose specific job is to be a check on the executive and they haven't done shit in two years.

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Congress is far worse.  He is one stupid old man.  They are a collection of 535 individuals from across the spectrum (ok, still mainly old white guys, but there's some diversity in there) whose specific job is to be a check on the executive and they haven't done shit in two years.

Kinda hard to blame the democrats for not trying to check Trump’s abuses of power.

Look what happened when they went hard to the paint with Kavanaugh, it nearly backfired and people actually think Kavanaugh was the real victim in that.

Just another example of how much is riding on this election. 

The power is supposed to reside with the people but when the person who gets the most votes loses to a guy who got millions fewer, I start to naturally question who is really in control.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

22 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The power is supposed to reside with the people but when the person who gets the most votes loses to a guy who got millions fewer, I start to naturally question who is really in control.

You are a smart guy; you understand how the Electoral college works.