Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Sort the band by the Eyes and not-Eyes team.  Put them in a cage and have them fight to the death.  Broadcast the event on PPV.  Use proceeds to hire a new football coach.

spacer.png

You’re going to make money on this????

• Like 1

I'm old enough to recall with pride when bands played Dixie and I can honestly say a prejudice thought never crossed my mind.  I just felt like it was a regional natural song.  It was openly played in political rallies as late as the 1960's.  It is no longer played anywhere except in perhaps private clubs or, unfortunately, those who put a racist slant to the song.  I've gotten over it.  Sorta.  

It would take years for everyone to get over the controversy of EOT that is a false narrative on racial matters.  

If they do somehow manage to change the Alma Mater the only song worth considering is the State Song, Texas Our Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

I'm old enough to recall with pride when bands played Dixie and I can honestly say a prejudice thought never crossed my mind.  I just felt like it was a regional natural song.  It was openly played in political rallies as late as the 1960's.  It is no longer played anywhere except in perhaps private clubs or, unfortunately, those who put a racist slant to the song.  I've gotten over it.  Sorta.  

It would take years for everyone to get over the controversy of EOT that is a false narrative on racial matters.  

If they do somehow manage to change the Alma Mater the only song worth considering is the State Song, Texas Our Texas.

how about Kernkraft 4000's zombie nation?

wont offend the living, possibly only the dead

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

'm old enough to recall with pride when bands played Dixie and I can honestly say a prejudice thought never crossed my mind.  I just felt like it was a regional natural song.  It was openly played in political rallies as late as the 1960's.  It is no longer played anywhere except in perhaps private clubs or, unfortunately, those who put a racist slant to the song.  I've gotten over it.  Sorta.  

Gonna go out on a huge limb here and guess that you're white?

Well, at this point I say we fire the leaders and all members of the Longhorn band and just go ahead and defund the fucking thing. 
Then, given on field performance the entire Longhorn football team and coaching staff can fucking go too. They're worthless as well.
Don't think I've forgotten about CDC, he can hit the road along with the rest of Belmont.
Let's just change the stadium into a demolition derby arena and let the current SJW team of the day compete against a team of folks supporting whatever the current issue of the day is winner take all. 
We can have flat earthers battle against geologist.
Everything is racist battle against the south will rise again. 
Anti-vaxxers against biology folks.
Jesus and his pet dinosaurs vs science.
Scientology vs Mormon, aliens vs magic hats billing.
Heavy Metal vs Death Metal: louder and faster.
Punk vs Ska: who's really a rebel
Hip-hop vs Rap: the Ghetto rules.
Pop vs Alt: is anyone really listening
Grunge vs all comers: as they are.
Mask wearing vs FREEDOM
Lochness vs Bigfoot: I wanna believe
Aliens vs Illuminati: it's all a conspiracy
We take the policy of the winner and it becomes what is taught and cared about at the University of Texas. 
Seems as good and well thought out a plan and based on as much reality as the current issue plauging Texas students and will be a lot more fun to watch.

I’d renew my season tickets for that

6 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

The Admin granted or at least addressed in meaningful ways nearly ALL of the items in the athletes’ initial list. What the fuck is that if it isn’t “comprise”? Myopic dumbfuck

I was responding to the idiots suggestion that "why not just sing the song and say racism was bad but not related"  was some form of compromise. Not to wherever deal the administration made which has clearly been bungled at this point.

47 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Some things we fight to change. Others we learn to live with. It's called life.

Who decides what we fight to change and what we "learn to live with"? You?

An amazing thing to me is that at UT, EOT is the subject of racial offense, while on the A&M campus, their alumni/faculty Klan robe collection doesn't rate a second thought. A striking cultural difference in what is and what isn't considered racist, even by the most strident activists on either campus.

One is in a museum/library and one is not only actively performed/observed, but required of student athletes. Your comparison here would work if players were supposed to put on the Klan robes themselves or stand solemnly while other people did. A nonsense comparison and yet another bizarre bit of supposed Longhorns idolizing the anti-anti-racist pedigree of Texas A&M.

- No one has called you or anyone else here racist for supporting The Eyes.
- No one on the team or in the band has raised a stink about anyone singing The Eyes.
- The administration of the school is acting like actual adults.
- Posters here should follow the lead of school administration if their goal is to actually get through the other side of this whole.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Who decides what we fight to change and what we "learn to live with"? You?

One is in a museum/library and one is not only actively performed/observed, but required of student athletes. Your comparison here would work if players were supposed to put on the Klan robes themselves or stand solemnly while other people did. A nonsense comparison and yet another bizarre bit of supposed Longhorns idolizing the anti-anti-racist pedigree of Texas A&M.

- No one has called you or anyone else here racist for supporting The Eyes.
- No one on the team or in the band has raised a stink about anyone singing The Eyes.
- The administration of the school is acting like actual adults.
- Posters here should follow the lead of school administration if their goal is to actually get through the other side of this whole.

One is openly discussed, while the existence and history of the other is hidden from the public. There are not "museum relics." A museum relic would be something retained for educational purposes. Education cannot be where ignorance is perpetuated. Some of those exact robes were worn by alumni/faculty at the Klan rallies routinely announced and promoted during their home games. How can one say they exist to educate students when the history they evidenced is denied to ever have occurred? One cannot legitimately promote ignorance in the name of promoting higher education.

Much of the systemic racial bias is rooted in our cultural norm of downplaying or ignoring the sins of the past while falsely glorifying the achievements. We fail to ensure our failures are remembered. We glorify false heroes. If our understanding the "racist" foundation of the UT school song is a matter of educating us better about the past, let that education begin. Until then, I am going to look at the facts as I know them and make up my own mind. And if anyone is offended, so be it.

But those robes are not where they are as "educational reminders" of the virulent racist nature of that culture. Far from it.

It remains an oddity that to some, the long-standing school song is "racist," while an alumni/faculty Klan robe collection is not considered out of place. Not even by those who see "racism" in the UT school song.

The definition of "racist" is extremely ill-defined and very fluid.

And to answer your question, we all individually decide what we fight to change and what we learn to live with.

10 hours ago, Born to Run said:
10 hours ago, David Dennison said:
It does now. 

Thats my sentiment as well. My University belongs to the students of today,

I don't know anyone who felt like that when we were on the 40.  Maybe Philpot's tribe in the student senate and the west mall warriors.  But they never claimed The University for their own.

8 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

One is openly discussed, while the existence and history of the other is hidden from the public. There are not "museum relics." A museum relic would be something retained for educational purposes. Education cannot be where ignorance is perpetuated. Some of those exact robes were worn by alumni/faculty at the Klan rallies routinely announced and promoted during their home games. How can one say they exist to educate students when the history they evidenced is denied to ever have occurred? One cannot legitimately promote ignorance in the name of promoting higher education.

Not entirely sure what point you're trying to make here with regard to The Eyes.

To the extent that A&M's sordid history is hidden from its students, the advocates for doing that are the types of people who would say, "Some things we fight to change. Others we learn to live with. It's called life."

Until then, I am going to look at the facts as I know them and make up my own mind. And if anyone is offended, so be it.

You're avoiding questions, so I know it's pointless to ask, but IS anyone offended by your opinion on The Eyes?

It remains an oddity that to some, the long-standing school song is "racist," while an alumni/faculty Klan robe collection is not considered out of place. Not even by those who see "racism" in the UT school song.

It's not an "oddity" to you at all. You're the guy who says "I'm curious" or "I'm confused" to preface a conflict-inducing "question" but isn't curious or confused at all, just passive-aggressive. You're purposefully conflating two entirely different situations in two entirely different cultural contexts.

Why would any of us Longhorns care about the klan robes at A&M?

Why are you guys so obsessed with mirroring A&M?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Think we'll see more and more kids pick another school other than Texas. We can play the song full blast during several mediocre seasons coming up

There are a tremendous number of legacies who can't get in because they are .0880000002 away from "top whatever percent" in their class.

aggy is 90 miles that way ---------------------->

• Hook 'Em 1

As someone very on the fence on this issue, it's striking that the general populace on here seems willing to say:

Fuck the football team

Fuck the band

Fuck the professors

Fuck the administration

Fuck the students

But willing to go to war over a song. 

I don't want the song to go away, but I'm pretty surprised at the willingness to cast aside basically every core component of the University over it.  I'm not going to get into a back and forth on who is right or wrong because honestly I don't know on this issue.  Just surprised at the responses.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

There are a tremendous number of legacies who can't get in because they are .0880000002 away from "top whatever percent" in their class.

aggy is 90 miles that way ---------------------->

There is an easy solution but the demand to get in is too high currently. Only admitting the top 6%. If you see a dip in applications just increase it to 7%. 

There is a long line of students willing to go to Texas who don’t give two shits about the song. 

that argument is actually dumb 

The Eyes of Texas are upon you,
All the livelong day.
The Eyes of Texas are upon you,
You cannot get away.
Do not think you can escape them
At night or early in the morn --
The Eyes of Texas are upon you
Til Gabriel blows his horn.

If one of you who thinks the band  and/or athletes is in the right by throwing their temper tantrum can point out the racist language in these lyrics,   I will take off my underwear and eat it on a live video feed.     Go ahead!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There is an easy solution but the demand to get in is too high currently. Only admitting the top 6%. If you see a dip in applications just increase it to 7%. 

There is a long line of students willing to go to Texas who don’t give two shits about the song. 

that argument is actually dumb 

We're in agreement.  Anyone who doesn't want to attend UT but goes anyway can GTFO and clear a spot for someone who actually wants to be there.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

As someone very on the fence on this issue, it's striking that the general populace on here seems willing to say:

Fuck the football team

Fuck the band

Fuck the professors

Fuck the administration

Fuck the students

But willing to go to war over a song. 

I don't want the song to go away, but I'm pretty surprised at the willingness to cast aside basically every core component of the University over it.  I'm not going to get into a back and forth on who is right or wrong because honestly I don't know on this issue.  Just surprised at the responses.

All of the above have earned it because it's symbolic bullshit that doesn't do anything to help the cause other than make some feel good while turning off a good chunk of people who might be on board with a lot of their concerns.  Their initial approach with the threat of boycotts and players quitting was all or nothing. The university in response put some things on the table such as renaming the field in honor of Ricky and Earl and other things involving $$$$ which are commendable.    Some are still stuck on my way or the highway after all of these concessions and thus the backlash.   It's really not that hard to understand.

The pro side wanting to get rid of the song equates it with real images like statues, names on buildings, etc.    The adults in the room (IE administrators, coaches, etc.) should have set the record straight the day their demands were released that we were not going to go there with the song for the simple reason it's a bogus as a three dollar bill.  So why all the "F" all that you noted.  Because they still haven't had that conversation and put the take or leave it on the table.  The band would have been the best place to do this and then go down the list.  Those who wanted to play the song, show up. Those who don't, turn in your uniform....  Simple!

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Well, at this point I say we fire the leaders and all members of the Longhorn band and just go ahead and defund the fucking thing. 

Then, given on field performance the entire Longhorn football team and coaching staff can fucking go too. They're worthless as well.

Don't think I've forgotten about CDC, he can hit the road along with the rest of Belmont.

Let's just change the stadium into a demolition derby arena and let the current SJW team of the day compete against a team of folks supporting whatever the current issue of the day is winner take all. 

We can have flat earthers battle against geologist.

Everything is racist battle against the south will rise again. 

Anti-vaxxers against biology folks.

Jesus and his pet dinosaurs vs science.

Scientology vs Mormon, aliens vs magic hats billing.

Heavy Metal vs Death Metal: louder and faster.

Punk vs Ska: who's really a rebel

Hip-hop vs Rap: the Ghetto rules.

Pop vs Alt: is anyone really listening

Grunge vs all comers: as they are.

Mask wearing vs FREEDOM

Lochness vs Bigfoot: I wanna believe

Aliens vs Illuminati: it's all a conspiracy

We take the policy of the winner and it becomes what is taught and cared about at the University of Texas. 

Seems as good and well thought out a plan and based on as much reality as the current issue plauging Texas students and will be a lot more fun to watch.

You forgot Whataburger vs In-and-Out which would have closed the circle 100%

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Their initial approach with the threat of boycotts and players quitting was all or nothing.

Lie.

Here's the letter.

We will continue to practice, workout, and participate in all required team activities in preparation for the upcoming season, but without an official commitment from the university we will not be participating in the recruiting of incoming players or donor-related events.

What does it say about our fanbase that they actively lie about our own players like this?

Some are still stuck on my way or the highway after all of these concessions and thus the backlash. 

More lies.

Pathetic, lying pricks trying to sow discord. You freaks should be ashamed of yourselves.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Lie.

Here's the letter.

We will continue to practice, workout, and participate in all required team activities in preparation for the upcoming season, but without an official commitment from the university we will not be participating in the recruiting of incoming players or donor-related events.

What does it say about our fanbase that they actively lie about our own players like this?

More lies.

Pathetic, lying pricks trying to sow discord. You freaks should be ashamed of yourselves.

Ok it's like trying have your cake and eat it too.   Half Boycott or whatever in the fuck.    The threat was there... the university went more than halfway and the players and band are still bitching and moaning about it.....   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The threat was there... the university went more than halfway and the players and band are still bitching and moaning about it.....   

No, it wasn't.

The players never threatened to quit. The only things they said they wouldn't do were recruiting and donor gladhanding.

Also, are the players "bitching and moaning"? Do you have any evidence of that?

You guys can be mad about whatever cultural grievances you want, but I have no idea what the hell you think you're accomplishing by outright lying about them all the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

If it's not inclusive, it need not be the alma mater.

I hate the us and them of this. I believe that a substantial enough number of us find offense at the Eyes of Texas. I don't think the sentiment is some weapon being used to deprive the poor, suffering white man of some thing he likes to do just for the sake of jabbing him. 

I love the song and singing it after the games. That I was totally unaware that it may offend other Longhorns doesn't remove the offense. I won't sing Dixie even though I never sang it with racist intent. We were kids who played yankees versus rebels sometimes and that was it. My lack of intent doesn't matter if others are legitimately offended.

I don't like the childish dismissal of calling someone a Social Justice Warrior as though merely the label means said SJW can't be saying something worthwhile. That's facile. That's not worthy of a graduate of a university of the first class. And, let's face it, some people tossing out that epithet are smearing their personal politics on this issue.

I'll go along with whatever the black Longhorns want to do about the song. I'd be fine with not playing it after any athletic events for a year then revisiting the issue. I very much want to demonstrate that I want that song to be all inclusive.

Dumping the song (which isn't what is being "demanded") to make the label Longhorn more inclusive would be a much greater statement about who we are than clinging to it because we think we've given them enough already.

They had no say for the worst of reasons. This is a small way to recognize that.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 3

Spoiler

Oh hey, this is a pretty reasonable post that engages with the actual topic. Pos rep. A couple things:

- I think it matters that the song's debut and how it gained popularity on campus was at a minstrel show so it's a bit reductive to say "performed at minstrel show once". It also matters that it is "likely" that the first performance was in black face. It's sucks that we won't ever get confirmation on that one way or the other but that's the way it is.

- Again, I'm not saying that this makes the song racist and I've said multiple times I think this whole thing can be salvaged but misconstruing what the actual issue is does nothing to further that goal (if that even is the goal). Ricky supports the song, but he also has talked about the importance of understanding and reckoning with our history, whatever that entails. Lots of people here just want to skip the second part.

The other day somebody on this board (sorry I can't remember who) said something along the lines of: "it's a clear sign that someone doesn't know what they are talking about when they take something complex and call it common sense". Seems like we are getting a lot of that here.

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

Edited by UncleSonny
Valmy77 post from last night meant to be quoted
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Ok it's like trying have your cake and eat it too.   Half Boycott or whatever in the fuck.    The threat was there... the university went more than halfway and the players and band are still bitching and moaning about it.....   

You could have recognized your mischaracterization and then explained why it happened. It also seem ironic that you're whining about bitching and moaning.

This is a revolting thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I very much want to demonstrate that I want that song to be all inclusive.

Yep.

The dream scenario is that we talk it out like adults, make sure the kids know we love them and that this song actually means we are united, make sure that they understand the deep meaning of The Eyes and that it has already overcome its minstrel origins and that we are OK with them needing time to understand it.

It's basic leadership. It's how you lead with calm and controlled authority and not shrieking insecurity.

"I know you're upset and I can understand why you are. I know it's an imperfect and ugly history and I know you're young and don't really feel the connections many of us feel. We support you as you find your way and we are listening to you the whole time with respect and love. You'll get there with us because we're all family."

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The players aren't bitching about it, their coach hasn't given then clear guidance on how to handle the situation so the "fans" are outraged. The band had nothing to do with the initial request and feel that they too also shouldn't be forced to do it.

6 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

The other day somebody on this board (sorry I can't remember who) said something along the lines of: "it's a clear sign that someone doesn't know what they are talking about when they take something complex and call it common sense". Seems like we are getting a lot of that here.

image.gif

It's not all that complex. 

If you want to raise attention to the checkered history of the song, use your platform (instablogs) and broadcast your opinion.  The same way people make annual reminders that Chris Columbus killed a whole lotta men and gave their women Old World Herpes.  Done.  Everyone nods tacitly.

As opposed to:

"Changes regarding the injun community at UT

*The replacement of Burnt Orange with a new color without racist undertones [due to tenuous reason here]

*Lifting the requirement of athletes to wear the color"

There.  The university cant use it anymore and we refuse to wear it.... but you fans can wear burnt orange if you want !!!

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

It's not all that complex. 

If you want to raise attention to the checkered history of the song, use your platform (instablogs) and broadcast your opinion.  The same way people make annual reminders that Chris Columbus killed a whole lotta men and gave their women Old World Herpes.  Done.  Everyone nods tacitly.

As opposed to:

"Changes regarding the injun community at UT

*The replacement of Burnt Orange with a new color without racist undertones [due to tenuous reason here]

*Lifting the requirement of athletes to wear the color"

There.  The university cant use it anymore and we refuse to wear it.... but you fans can wear burnt orange if you want !!!

There we go. Another good faith, logically equivalent argument. Some of you guys must be terrified of your own shadow, if only for the fact that it's dark and you worry a scary social justice warrior may jump out and call you racist for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

The same way people make annual reminders that Chris Columbus killed a whole lotta men and gave their women Old World Herpes.  

I don't know about herpes but syphilis went from new world to old. I think it's the one disease that's been identified that the Europeans brought back from the new world, and then promptly spread everywhere else.

37 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

It's sucks that we won't ever get confirmation on that one way or the other but that's the way it is.

But we'll ditch it just because someone says that could have possibly happened. 120 years ago. Fucking stupid.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 6