COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I'm just glad all my grannies have passed and didnt have to spend the last days of their lives dealing with this fucking nonsense. 

I'm pretty sure a relative or two who thinks the whole mask and washing things hand is part of the covid hoax would have gotten my grandma killed, had she still been alive.

Yeah, mine are sadly gone, but I see it every Sunday when I go for my bike ride. 

And I could easily say, the weather is nice, going to go out with my other 20-30 year old friends to lunch and then spread it to granny who I see on Tuesday. Either way mofo's need to be a lot more careful. 

I want to see my stepmom. She is terminal. Not sure if I will be able to. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hi, Austin friends. It's very very very uncool taking care of ICU patients in a unit that is set up to recover people from anesthesia. Sucks for the nurses, sucks for the docs, and it really sucks for the patients (that is, you or your sick family member). So please stay at home and don't do anything that could have you wind up in an Austin hospital, because there's not a fucking bed for you.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Don't forget that Spring Break is two months away.  So to the extent that some folks are taking the numbers seriously and really hunkering down, and a decent amount of the population might get vaccinated between now and then, I think we're going to ride this wave into the Spring without much of a dip.

19 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Don't forget that Spring Break is two months away.  So to the extent that some folks are taking the numbers seriously and really hunkering down, and a decent amount of the population might get vaccinated between now and then, I think we're going to ride this wave into the Spring without much of a dip.

Many colleges aren't going to break for Spring Break.  They don't want the kids leaving, and then coming back.

Of course, grade schools and high schools will still break, and I doubt as many parents keep it as isolated this year, compared to last year, during Spring Break.

We're back to the surge status that we saw last spring at my hospital in Houston. We have been on full diversion for a couple of days now with COVID patients waiting for days in the emergency center due to no bed availability. Our hospital has been bleeding nurses to travel assignments, where they can make $120/hr, so we have been working with poor staffing in our ICUs. We had a neonatal nurse sent to my ICU to help us the last shift I worked. A COVID patient on the verge of intubation was convinced that he wanted to leave against medical advice because he thought he take care of himself better at home. He was tired of being told to lay on his stomach and to keep his Bipap mask on. It took our head doctor of the ICU to go talk to him and have him watch his vital signs monitor to see his oxygen levels drop from 88% on the Bipap to 70% with no supplemental oxygen to scare him enough that he stated he would stay one more day. Our doctor also offered to give him a tour of our ICU before he left so that the patient could see what the next step would be for him if he decided to leave our unit. That next step being sedated, paralyzed, and having a breathing tube down your throat. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Like it, and the other strain identified in South Africa, haven’t already been here.

My third hand but reliable source at TDH says we aren’t looking really hard for it. See no evil, hear no evil, more people on the vent kind of thing.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

God fucking damnit.  879 in ATX today. 

Yep. Highest day of cases pandemic to date with a bullet. 89 admits. 573 people hospitalized. Absolute shitshow. I expect 8-10 deaths from today's cases. Record for ICU patients as well with 164. ~34% of all ICU beds filled with CV19 patients. If the ~15% of cases ending up in admits holds to bear we will see ~131 admits stem from today's cases. Just crazy.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 1/7 vs 1/6 6 54 84 164 195 134 131 64 28 19 879
% of Daily Change 0.68% 6.14% 9.56% 18.66% 22.18% 15.24% 14.90% 7.28% 3.19% 2.16%  
% of Total Cases 0.54% 3.52% 9.73% 26.82% 20.93% 15.08% 11.43% 6.58% 3.17% 2.19%  
  • Hook 'Em 1

592 cases for Travis County, 89 admits (third straight day of 89 admits - weird) and 575 people hospitalized. ICU dropped 7 to 157 so that is positive sign as is fact that while we are admitting a shit ton the medical staff seems to be doing a good job of moving them out. 60 to 69 & 70 to 79 out-performed their typical share so that is not positive. I expect to see from today's cases between 5-7 deaths in upcoming weeks.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 1/8 vs 1/7 2 35 65 120 111 91 75 55 26 12 592
% of Daily Change 0.34% 5.91% 10.98% 20.27% 18.75% 15.37% 12.67% 9.29% 4.39% 2.03%  
% of Total Cases 0.54% 3.54% 9.74% 26.75% 20.91% 15.09% 11.44% 6.61% 3.19% 2.19%  

464 cases in Travis County today with a 107 admits (new 2nd place number). 586 people in the hospital (record) with 180 people in the ICU (record). We only saw an increase of 11 people hospitalized but an increase of 23 people in the ICU. That isn't good and given the over weight nature of the >60 cohorts the past several days I believe will lead to a spike in deaths.

There were 19 deaths for the second week in a row w/e Jan 9. Once again heavily concentrated in the 60+ age groups with 16 of the 19 overall deaths residing in these three age groups.

Stay frosty.

New Cases 1/9 vs 1/8 4 25 54 119 85 64 52 39 17 5 464
% of Daily Change 0.86% 5.39% 11.64% 25.65% 18.32% 13.79% 11.21% 8.41% 3.66% 1.08%  
% of Total Cases 0.54% 3.56% 9.76% 26.74% 20.89% 15.08% 11.44% 6.62% 3.19% 2.18%  

2 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

That’s old news. Been there since last week. 

They started activation of the ACS yesterday.

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/there-just-arent-beds-ready-austin-doctors-describe-influx-of-covid-19-patients-prepare-for-alternate-care-site/

Now, the group’s 70 providers have been notified that they may be needed to help staff Austin-Travis County’s ACS. 

“Essentially everyone in our group is already signed up and ready to help out,” Frederick says. 

“We’re kind of just trying to be ready to fill in the gaps everywhere needed,” says Kahn, who expects specific shift assignments next week. 

Saturday, health officials announced they’re beginning activation because they “believe it is inevitible” that the local healthcare system will soon exceed capacity.

The city and county are also working with the state to coordinate 24-hour staffing at the site, which would be used for patients who need a lower level of care to help keep hospital beds open for intensive care.

“A lot of COVID patients are having to wait in the emergency room partly because there just aren’t beds ready,” Dr. Kahn says. 

Earlier this week, the Travis County Medical Society put out a call for more physicians to help local hospital staff.

While this is a national link it gives us a good look at Texas vaccination rate, compared to doses available with all the other states.https://time.com/collection/coronavirus-vaccines-updates/

According to this site-

Texas has administered 700,559 first doses (2.4% of the population), accounting for 38% of total first doses shipped

well shit... so since this crap started I have lived in quarantine. Even broke up with a nice young thing since she would not follow the protocols at my house. I meet with my admin and our cartographer. Yeah, somethings cannot be done over zoom. To date all good, we are all careful. 

So last week my house cleaner called. She has not worked since March and is organizing a clothes drive to the border. I am getting prepared to move so I said fuck it, I have some good stuff.  I spent 5 minutes talking to her on the patio and both wearing masks. She calls today to tell me she tested positive. My exposure would have been 6 days ago. In the meantime I kept meeting with the team as we finish this project. I am so pissed at myself. 

All senses are fine. Guiness tastes like Guinness, modelo like modelo, Italian stew like Italian stew. New puppy still has the new puppy smell. But dammit, need to tell everyone and go get tested. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

well shit... so since this crap started I have lived in quarantine. Even broke up with a nice young thing since she would not follow the protocols at my house. I meet with my admin and our cartographer. Yeah, somethings cannot be done over zoom. To date all good, we are all careful. 

So last week my house cleaner called. She has not worked since March and is organizing a clothes drive to the border. I am getting prepared to move so I said fuck it, I have some good stuff.  I spent 5 minutes talking to her on the patio and both wearing masks. She calls today to tell me she tested positive. My exposure would have been 6 days ago. In the meantime I kept meeting with the team as we finish this project. I am so pissed at myself. 

All senses are fine. Guiness tastes like Guinness, modelo like modelo, Italian stew like Italian stew. New puppy still has the new puppy smell. But dammit, need to tell everyone and go get tested. 

What exactly are those protocols?

11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

You probably alright man. Get tested if you are worried about it. 

14 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Damn. You should have at least maybe have gotten Covid from the nice young thing. 

Also, you haven’t cleaned your house since March? 

12 minutes ago, Assman said:

What exactly are those protocols?

Don't break the established social contract. Going to go see mom? cool. Going to then go to a BBQ? nah. Especially when I have to reset lockdown everytime she did. 

And yeah, she was a damn fine pandemic princess. 

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You probably alright man. Get tested if you are worried about it. 

I know, more worried about it being passed to the team. They have been so damn careful at a time that few of their friends are. 

7 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Damn. You should have at least maybe have gotten Covid from the nice young thing. 

Also, you haven’t cleaned your house since March? 

Yeah, agree. Just glad I did not get something else. I hear COVID and Bobcat bumps are a horrid combination. 

As for cleaning. I had a plan. burnt the last one down in August and moved Into a new one. That is how the 1% do it right? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

It seems like you are the expert, so pardon me for chiming in, but if you were outside and weren’t within 6 ft of your cleaning lady for more than 15 minutes without a mask, I think you are all good, statistically speaking.  What am I missing here?  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, 3shot said:

It seems like you are the expert, so pardon me for chiming in, but if you were outside and weren’t within 6 ft of your cleaning lady for more than 15 minutes without a mask, I think you are all good, statistically speaking.  What am I missing here?  

Nothing, just pissed that I let my guard down and endangered two souls, and their families who trust me. I will get my test no matter tomorrow. They can both isolate here at the house and I will cover their losses. And really man, we don't know how a lot of people get it. A waiter who faces people for months does not, a person who decides to finally go to an outdoor market does. Just better to be smart and I fucked up. I could have done it better and reduced the risk to my team. Mea Maxima Culpa. 

I hear you.  Im currently in quarantine myself so no judgment.  Just trying to say, doesn’t sound like you did anything wrong at all or that you have been careless.  Your circumstances don’t even meet the CDC’s standards for having to get tested.  Not that you shouldn’t get tested or quarantine if you feel like you should...I’m just saying, talking to someone on your patio for 5 minutes with masks on isn’t really letting your guard down.  At least in my world.

What I’m trying to say is I think you are being too hard on yourself.  And I hope everything works out for you and your family.  Believe me, I had a lot of these same feelings when I found out I had been near someone that was positive.  I was scared shitless.  Thankfully it appears we are ok, and our exposure was a lot worse than what you described...not trying to get into a dick measuring contest or to be a one-upper, just trying to make you feel better about the situation :).  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

strangest humblebrag ever

also pics aren't coming through yet. take your pic man - young piece, cleaner, puppy whatever

Edited by staboner
  • Hook 'Em 1