COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

4 hours ago, victory88 said:

This delta variant is about to spread like a motherfucker.  Pretty sure I have it and I got the vaccine as soon as it came out and still wear a mask.  On top of that, lots of my friends are sick right now and all of them are vaccinated.  Fuck everyone that didn’t get this damn vaccine…

There's a ton of upper respiratory viruses going around right now. We are paying the immunity debt by separation for 12+ months. Especially kids. Truely a catch-22 type scenario. Hide out from Covid and lose or don't build the rest of your immunity. We've coexisted with viruses for thousands of years. RSV, rhinovirus, etc. aren't going anywhere. These viruses were just waiting around for the kiddos to get back together. So y'alls one to two year olds are going to have back to back illnesses for the next few months if they didn't already this summer.  That is partly why pediatric hospitals are full of everything.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I miss Wide World of Sports.  There was something really cool about it in the 80s.

Good in the 60s, too. Stuff you only want to watch for a little time every once in a while like cliff diving, barrel jumping, or even a hunting feature.

spacer.png

Or so I'm told.

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

No, we were on our way to beating it if people kept getting vaccinated. Probably would've worked if 40%+ of the population weren't morons who believe YouTube clips and Facebook posts over scientists. 

9 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I don’t know if that’s true. I agree those people are morons and know if people wouldve kept getting vaccinated our hospitals would be in better shape. But beating jt? Disagree

Yup.  There is zero chance we were ever going to "beat it" because as is abundantly clear, breakthrough infections are occurring in large numbers.  This will be endemic, it will live with us forever, and that was the inevitable outcome the moment the virus escaped its place of origin.  It's just too transmissible.

What we CAN do through vaccination, is limit the severity and keep more people out of the hospitals and keep the death count down.

23 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

There's a ton of upper respiratory viruses going around right now. We are paying the immunity debt by separation for 12+ months. Especially kids. Truely a catch-22 type scenario. Hide out from Covid and lose or don't build the rest of your immunity. We've coexisted with viruses for thousands of years. RSV, rhinovirus, etc. aren't going anywhere. These viruses were just waiting around for the kiddos to get back together. So y'alls one to two year olds are going to have back to back illnesses for the next few months if they didn't already this summer.  That is partly why pediatric hospitals are full of everything.

yeah local children’s hospital in Corpus currently has 20 kids in ICU with Covid. And 20 kids with RSV.

42 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Well I guess we will never know, will we?

we might be limiting the death so that is a win but with the need for a booster we weren't "beating" it.  get the vax and be in the lower % bucket or don't get the vax and be in the higher risk bucket(assuming you are over 45ish).  its up to them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

33 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yup.  There is zero chance we were ever going to "beat it" because as is abundantly clear, breakthrough infections are occurring in large numbers.  This will be endemic, it will live with us forever, and that was the inevitable outcome the moment the virus escaped its place of origin.  It's just too transmissible.

What we CAN do through vaccination, is limit the severity and keep more people out of the hospitals and keep the death count down.

This is kinda where I'm at, or at least heading.  The unvaxxed are contributing to the fuckery of our hospitals right now, and we need as many as possible to get vaxxed to relieve the strain and save lives.  

But this notion that "but for the unvaxxed, we would have 'beaten' this thing" seems hard to believe, and frankly the "fuck all these anti-vaxxers for giving me and my vaxxed friends covid" sentiment seems a bit misplaced.  I mean look at Israel. It's probably the most vaxxed any free society is gonna get, at least among adults.  And they too are having another massive outbreak, with breakthrough infections quite common.  

Vaxxed or unvaxxed, we're probably all getting this variant or the next.  Maybe the newer versions of the vaccines will stamp this thing out, but it seems doubtful, at least at this point.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:
This is kinda where I'm at, or at least heading.  The unvaxxed are contributing to the fuckery of our hospitals right now, and we need as many as possible to get vaxxed to relieve the strain and save lives.  
But this notion that "but for the unvaxxed, we would have 'beaten' this thing" seems hard to believe, and frankly the "fuck all these anti-vaxxers for giving me and my vaxxed friends covid" sentiment seems a bit misplaced.  I mean look at Israel. It's probably the most vaxxed any free society is gonna get, at least among adults.  And they too are having another massive outbreak, with breakthrough infections quite common.  
Vaxxed or unvaxxed, we're probably all getting this variant or the next.  Maybe the newer versions of the vaccines will stamp this thing out, but it seems doubtful, at least at this point.  

If by “beating it” you mean we get back to normalcy then yes I think we would have had a good chance of that if there had been more widespread vaccination.

I don’t disagree that mutations still would have occurred; whether they would have developed into the spikes we are now seeing that put many of those who are vaccinated at risk of serious negative outcome is where I think I diverge from you all who are saying we never would have beaten it.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

you aren't allowed to mention Israel...

4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

If by “beating it” you mean we get back to normalcy then yes I think we would have had a good chance of that if there had been more widespread vaccination.

I don’t disagree that mutations still would have occurred; whether they would have developed into the spikes we are now seeing that put many of those who are vaccinated is where I think I diverge from you all who are saying we never would have beaten it.

The experience in the UK and Israel is hard to square with your take.  Is Israel back to normal?  80% of adults there are fully vaccinated, and life there is now more restricted than it is here.  

Even some top Brit scientists seem to be taking the stance that there's no real "beating" this thing:

London: The Delta variant of COVID-19 has wrecked any chance of herd immunity, according to the Oxford scientist who led the AstraZeneca vaccine team, as he called for an end to mass testing so Britain could start to live with the virus.

Scientists who addressed Britain’s all-party parliamentary group on coronavirus said it was time to accept that there is no way of stopping the virus spreading through the entire population, and monitoring people with mild symptoms was no longer helpful.

Professor Andrew Pollard, who led the Oxford vaccine team, said it was clear that the Delta variant can still infect people who have been vaccinated, which made herd immunity impossible to reach, even with Britain’s high uptake.

The Department of Health confirmed on Tuesday that more than three quarters of adults in Britain have received both jabs and calculated that 60,000 deaths and 66,900 hospitalisations have been prevented by the vaccines.

Speaking to the all-party parliamentary group on coronavirus, Sir Andrew said: “Anyone who is still unvaccinated will, at some point, meet the virus.

“We don’t have anything that will stop transmission, so I think we are in a situation where herd immunity is not a possibility, and I suspect the virus will throw up a new variant that is even better at infecting vaccinated individuals.”

Paul Hunter, a professor at the University of East Anglia and an expert in infectious diseases, told the committee: “The concept of herd immunity is unachievable because we know the infection will spread in unvaccinated populations and the latest data is suggesting that two doses is probably only 50 per cent protective against infection.

“We need to move away from reporting infections to actually reporting the number of people who are ill. Otherwise we are going to be frightening ourselves with very high numbers that don’t translate into disease burden.”

On Tuesday, Sajid Javid, the Health Secretary, confirmed that third dose booster shots would be given from next month. However, Pollard argued that Britain could be continually vaccinating the population for no real health benefit if mass testing continued.

“I think as we look at the adult population going forward, if we continue to chase community testing and are worried about those results, we’re going to end up in a situation where we’re constantly boosting to try and deal with something which is not manageable,” he said.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Palabra.

So far 5 MAGATs i know have perished while spewing every bit of wing nut propaganda they could before covid shut them the fuck up permanently. .

Need more of them to die.  There’s zero talking sense to these clowns.  I’m a complete asshole when dealing with them. It’s the best way.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

“We need to move away from reporting infections to actually reporting the number of people who are ill. Otherwise we are going to be frightening ourselves with very high numbers that don’t translate into disease burden.”

We need to go here.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
29 minutes ago, dcar00 said:
you aren't allowed to mention Israel...

no one ever said 60% Vax rate would get us to heard immunity even before Delta. A lot of the narrative with Isreal is twisted horseshit.

its just data.  they are at 80% adult population.

6 hours ago, victory88 said:

This delta variant is about to spread like a motherfucker.  Pretty sure I have it and I got the vaccine as soon as it came out and still wear a mask.  On top of that, lots of my friends are sick right now and all of them are vaccinated.  Fuck everyone that didn’t get this damn vaccine…

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

GIF by memecandy

Let the hate flow through you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The minute this shit spread beyond China, the cat was out of the bag.  

“Beating this” isn’t completely eradicating the disease.  It is going back to a more normal way of life where the vast majority of people who contract it going forward will have no long term issues and it is like a cold or mild flu.  That is how you win.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

“Beating this” isn’t completely eradicating the disease.  It is going back to a more normal way of life where the vast majority of people who contract it going forward will have no long term issues and it is like a cold or mild flu.  That is how you win.

Right. It will go endemic. I don't get what Australia is doing. Long term covid zero seems impossible.  I don't get it.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Correct.

People getting all semantical and shit over "beating it" sound silly.  It also sounds like a rationalization justifying a stance that vaccination doesn't really matter and also a rationalization to deflect well-earned blame. 

As I understand it, Delta and already present but as yet unidentified variant spawn in the unvaccinated. Rapid reproduction in the host cells of a hospitable (unvaxxed) victim allows the greatest chance for mutation.

The hundred million malign idiots out there volunteering their bodies as hosts will be the source of unknown havoc and death. 

I wouldn't give these anti-Americans the sweat off my balls if they were dying of thirst in their death throes. I merely mimick their care for their fellow man, fellow citizens, and their own families.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

So I don't have access to anything at DCMC other than being able to view their ED numbers, and I can tell you that last night there were around 25-30 kids who were in the ED or ED waiting room who were designated as "COV SUS" which basically means we're almost certain they have it, but for one reason or another we can't definitively say yet. The youngest of these patients was three weeks old or so. Many of them were younger than two years old. 

Totally normal scene for that hospital. Totally normal. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

So I don't have access to anything at DCMC other than being able to view their ED numbers, and I can tell you that last night there were around 25-30 kids who were in the ED or ED waiting room who were designated as "COV SUS" which basically means we're almost certain they have it, but for one reason or another we can't definitively say yet. The youngest of these patients was three weeks old or so. Many of them were younger than two years old. 

If they weren't infected already, they are now. What percent of those kids needed to be seen by a doctor verses being sent home to isolate?

• Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Thanks. Can you please clarify ED?

Was talking with a Texas Children’s NICU nurse 2-3 days ago and she sounded concerned then started in on the “news is spinning this, not that bad, etc” so my confidence kind of dropped.  SIL is in cardiology for TC and she’s been horrified for awhile now.   Don’t know if it’d make me feel any better but would just like to know the damn truth.   *Houston area. 

The US vax rate, or UK vax rate, or Israeli vax rate have fuckall to do with Indian vax rate, where delta sprung from. Once delta happened and it could better defeat the current vaccinations, it was over for 2021. It was kind of a global race between vaccinations and mutations.  If it’s true about animal hosts, it was over before it started. 

so what we have is a good prophylactic. Hopefully the next iteration can improve vs delta and maybe be more universally protective to the forthcoming variants.  And hopefully we can find a good treatment while it’s still a fairly dangerous infection to get. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Thanks. Can you please clarify ED?

Was talking with a Texas Children’s NICU nurse 2-3 days ago and she sounded concerned then started in on the “news is spinning this, not that bad, etc” so my confidence kind of dropped.  SIL is in cardiology for TC and she’s been horrified for awhile now.   Don’t know if it’d make me feel any better but would just like to know the damn truth.   *Houston area. 

ED = Emergency Department

That nurse sounds full of shit if you ask me

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, dcar00 said:
its just data.  they are at 80% adult population.

So kids don't count?

of course they do.  but they don't risk death in anywhere near the risk people over 40 do.   if we were at 80% adult pop vaxxed and seeing what Israel is seeing we'd be.."huh?"

nothing wrong the the vax, we just need to be realistic as to what the numbers are saying.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The US vax rate, or UK vax rate, or Israeli vax rate have fuckall to do with Indian vax rate, where delta sprung from. Once delta happened and it could better defeat the current vaccinations, it was over for 2021. It was kind of a global race between vaccinations and mutations.  If it’s true about animal hosts, it was over before it started. 

so what we have is a good prophylactic. Hopefully the next iteration can improve vs delta and maybe be more universally protective to the forthcoming variants.  And hopefully we can find a good treatment while it’s still a fairly dangerous infection to get. 

exactly.  and we need to be telling everyone that if you get the vax you go back to normal.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-clubhouse-shutters-doors-after-gov-abbott-prohibits-mask-mandates/

Public entities that receive state funding are bonded by Gov. Greg Abbott’s executive order, which prohibits them from mandating masks or asking for vaccination proof. 

An Austin organization said it’s having to shutter its doors all over again because of it. 

The Austin Clubhouse, located at 610 East 45th Street, is an organization that offers support for adults experiencing a mental health illness.

“We have meetings every day at 9:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.,” said Austin Clubhouse Executive Director Sharon Lowe.

In June, Lowe reopened the doors for the more than 100 active club members. 

“We thought we could receive vaccination status and continue to operate with masks, but then we received the governor’s order, and since we receive state funding, we can’t,” said Lowe.

Twenty-five percent of the clubhouse budget comes from state funding, meaning mask requirements can’t happen. The doors shut again on August 2, just two months after reopening in more than a year. 

“When we could be back in person again and step into the physical space, the world came alive,” said Jason Kelly, clubhouse member.

So... They reopened in June after the "no mask mandate mandate" went into effect and then two months later closed down under the same circumstances in a town where many are already vaccinated and/ or masking?

And they operate out of a church? Couldn't the church do them a solid and say "masks or gtfo?"

36 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

ED = Emergency Department

That nurse sounds full of shit if you ask me

How many cases of COVID is NICU seeing? For the TCH NICU nurse, I doubt much has changed. Texas Children's Hospital/Texas Heat Institute/St. Luke's isn't a trauma center like Hermann.

Edited by Bevo

14 minutes ago, Okie State said:
4 hours ago, CleverNickname said:
Right. It will go endemic. I don't get what Australia is doing. Long term covid zero seems impossible.  I don't get it.

Australia seems out of their damn mind. The goal was never and should never be zero. It's impossible.

they are only the first

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Less than 50% is fucking pathetic. It is hard to believe there are that many out there who think they know more than the doctors.

Oh so you have not met my ex wife? UT grad (Bio) then went to nursing school so she could pursue non-traditional healing. AKA crystals. She is pissed at the kids for getting vaccinated. 

Not directly COVID related but I thought I’d dump this here as an aside instead of starting a whole new thread. 

Moderna has started testing its HIV vaccine based on the mRNA model used for its COVID vaccine. 

https://www.newsweek.com/modernas-hiv-vaccine-start-human-trials-early-wednesday-uses-mrna-like-covid-shot-1619374

• Hook 'Em 3