COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

I have a lot of respect for the guy's wife - not because she apologized that his views/opinions/etc. hurt people (and he led a lot of battles against mask mandates in school and businesses), but because she realized that he was wrong and she prayed that he would survive with a new perspective and appreciation for what he had.

That's a helluva hard thing for a spouse to admit to publicly, and to apologize for.  That's a helluva hard thing.

If you feel inclined, the GoFundMe is here.  It's not going to hurt you to toss $20 their way.

She and those three little girls and the fourth child that is due in a month deserved none of this.  She's way into her pregnancy and couldn't work, and she was having to beg strangers on the internet to help her with mortgage and electric and water bills and stuff for her little girls.

You know how humiliating it must be for that woman to beg for help from strangers, to admit she prayed he'd survive with a new perspective, to even apologize for him?  At the same time, she's got the strength to try and get shit together the best she can, because she's now a single mom to three girls with a four kid arriving in a month.

Here's my piece:  

He wasn't some single guy with no responsibilities.  This wasn't some cranky old guy whose kids were long grown up.

This was a man with three little girls, and a baby due next month, and who didn't have much money in the bank.

Anybody who thinks it's a hoax or that mask mandates or kids having to wear masks in school are bullshit, fine, fucking whatever.

But if you are a parent of three little kids and a fourth on the way, or even just one little kid, and you are not loaded with cash, and your wife has no means to pay the bills if you die, you fucking bite that bullet, you man the fuck up, you do the mask thing when you are asked to, and you get the fucking vaccination.  Bitch all you want online, but in real life, you fucking do the things that a husband and father should do, you do everything you can to make sure that you see your kids survive to adulthood, that you walk your three daughters down the aisle if the chance arises.  Check your fucking politics at the door and you make your family the centerpiece of your life.  Because there are going to be three little girls who grow up without a daddy, and their main memories of their daddy will be A) how he died and B) how he fought the things that could have saved his life.  And there's going to be a fourth child who will never know their daddy, and if they Google him, they will find him angrily arguing with people over wearing masks or getting vaccinated and then they'll find stories about his dying, and people laughing and posting memes about how he fucked around and found out.

Anybody you know with young children, who is refusing the vaccine, you send them the articles above, or send them the GoFundMe link with the wife's pleas/prayers, and you ask them "hey, would you like to skip out on the chance of watching your kids grow up?  Can your spouse raise the kids on their own and can your spouse cover the bills if you die??"

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I have a lot of respect for the guy's wife - not because she apologized that his views/opinions/etc. hurt people (and he led a lot of battles against mask mandates in school and businesses), but because she realized that he was wrong and she prayed that he would survive with a new perspective and appreciation for what he had.

That's a helluva hard thing for a spouse to admit to publicly, and to apologize for.  That's a helluva hard thing.

If you feel inclined, the GoFundMe is here.  It's not going to hurt you to toss $20 their way.

She and those three little girls and the fourth child that is due in a month deserved none of this.  She's way into her pregnancy and couldn't work, and she was having to beg strangers on the internet to help her with mortgage and electric and water bills and stuff for her little girls.

You know how humiliating it must be for that woman to beg for help from strangers, to admit she prayed he'd survive with a new perspective, to even apologize for him?  At the same time, she's got the strength to try and get shit together the best she can, because she's now a single mom to three girls with a four kid arriving in a month.

Here's my piece:  

He wasn't some single guy with no responsibilities.  This wasn't some cranky old guy whose kids were long grown up.

This was a man with three little girls, and a baby due next month, and who didn't have much money in the bank.

Anybody who thinks it's a hoax or that mask mandates or kids having to wear masks in school are bullshit, fine, fucking whatever.

But if you are a parent of three little kids and a fourth on the way, or even just one little kid, and you are not loaded with cash, and your wife has no means to pay the bills if you die, you fucking bite that bullet, you man the fuck up, you do the mask thing when you are asked to, and you get the fucking vaccination.  Bitch all you want online, but in real life, you fucking do the things that a husband and father should do, you do everything you can to make sure that you see your kids survive to adulthood, that you walk your three daughters down the aisle if the chance arises.  Check your fucking politics at the door and you make your family the centerpiece of your life.  Because there are going to be three little girls who grow up without a daddy, and their main memories of their daddy will be A) how he died and B) how he fought the things that could have saved his life.  And there's going to be a fourth child who will never know their daddy, and if they Google him, they will find him angrily arguing with people over wearing masks or getting vaccinated and then they'll find stories about his dying, and people laughing and posting memes about how he fucked around and found out.

Anybody you know with young children, who is refusing the vaccine, you send them the articles above, or send them the GoFundMe link with the wife's pleas/prayers, and you ask them "hey, would you like to skip out on the chance of watching your kids grow up?  Can your spouse raise the kids on their own and can your spouse cover the bills if you die??"

And tell them to buy some gotdamn life insurance.  

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

And tell them to buy some gotdamn life insurance.  

I was reading that and thought to myself “men who don’t get life insurance when their spouses are stay at home moms are the worst. 
My wife will have enough to pay off the house and between the kids SSI and what’s left over and earning interest have 100k a year income. Then- she will be able to send the kids to college and have them be debt free coming out of school (that will wipe out the last of her insurance), before having enough to live a frugal but reasonable life on my social security if she keeps the house, or sell the house, downsize into a condo bc she will be old by then and line on $1,000,000 in bank/the interest it draws her going forward along with my social security. 
Of course, if she wants to work after the kids graduate she can certainly do so- she’s not lazy or handicapped or anything like that and once the kids are gone she won’t have any responsibilities toward them. 
All this planning took roughly an hour of writing it all down in instructions, 3 phone calls to buddies (hey, I’m doing my will setting stuff up for in case I die- can you keep an eye on my wife and help her with any financial decisions if I die?) and about $85 a month in term life policies and I’m a great big fat guy and smoker to boot). 
But no this dick head gonna preach about personal responsibility, not have a will and leave his soon to be mother of 4 barefoot and pregnant and penniless. Fucking prick. 
poor lady. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I was reading that and thought to myself “men who don’t get life insurance when their spouses are stay at home moms are the worst. 
My wife will have enough to pay off the house and between the kids SSI and what’s left over and earning interest have 100k a year income. Then- she will be able to send the kids to college and have them be debt free coming out of school (that will wipe out the last of her insurance), before having enough to live a frugal but reasonable life on my social security if she keeps the house, or sell the house, downsize into a condo bc she will be old by then and line on $1,000,000 in bank/the interest it draws her going forward along with my social security. 
Of course, if she wants to work after the kids graduate she can certainly do so- she’s not lazy or handicapped or anything like that and once the kids are gone she won’t have any responsibilities toward them. 
All this planning took roughly an hour of writing it all down in instructions, 3 phone calls to buddies (hey, I’m doing my will setting stuff up for in case I die- can you keep an eye on my wife and help her with any financial decisions if I die?) and about $85 a month in term life policies and I’m a great big fat guy and smoker to boot). 
But no this dick head gonna preach about personal responsibility, not have a will and leave his soon to be mother of 4 barefoot and pregnant and penniless. Fucking prick. 
poor lady. 

Yep. With way less than $85/month he could’ve at least made sure there was a few years worth of living expenses so mom could get educated and get a decent job. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

poor lady. 

Pretty smart to buy a chunk on the stay at home mom as well, unless you clear enough scratch to pay for $1500/kid to watch them while you keep working during your grieving period if something happened to her.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Pretty smart to buy a chunk on the stay at home mom as well, unless you clear enough scratch to pay for $1500/kid to watch them while you keep working during your grieving period if something happened to her.   

Yep. I’ve got $50k for her to bury her and hire a bang maid to help with house and kids. 

I took the virus serious from the beginning and I might have waited to get the shot but the fact that my child was born in January was all I needed to get my first shot in March and I drove an hour to get it in a rural community where people weren’t showing up so they had room for me. I feel bad for this guy’s family but he kept it real and it went wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

This should be a lesson for a lot of folks.  The guy I mentioned above, he was only 30.  He should have gotten vaccinated, if only to protect his pregnant wife and kids.

The wife wore masks even as he protested against them, and he refused to see a doctor because he didn't want to be a covid statistic, and he was taking ivermectin.

https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/news/2021/08/22/texas-covid-delta-variant-hospitalizations-high-mom-fights-save-husband/8196516002/

From a few weeks ago (he had been unconscious since early in August):

SAN ANGELO, TX — Five-year-old Brooke Wallace in San Angelo knows her daddy is very sick. On a sweltering afternoon, she sat under the shade of an oak tree beside her two younger sisters — Aubrey and Kate — swinging on a backyard play-set until it was time to call their father.

At about 5:15 p.m. that Thursday, Aug. 19, 2021, Jessica Wallace gathered all three children together, and the four took a short walk to a relative's house next door. She strolled hand-in-hand with Kate, who is one year old, while Aubrey, age 3, toddled ahead of her mother to keep pace with Brooke.

"Aubrey does ask a lot, 'Where's daddy, where's daddy?'" Jessica said. "My five-year-old, Brooke, she understands."

The nurse tells Jessica it's not a problem and hangs up to don a plastic suit of PPE, personal protective equipment required to enter Caleb's room. About five minutes later, Jessica answers her phone and the video call begins.

"Keep fighting, daddy," Caleb's children said Thursday into the video screen. "We miss you."

The conversation is one-sided; Caleb says nothing.

Since Aug. 8, the 30-year-old father of three (soon to be four), has laid unconscious, heavily sedated in an intensive care unit at Shannon Hospital. A mechanical ventilator pumps fresh oxygen into his lungs, which have been crippled by the virus.

This doesn't stop Caleb's daughters from talking for roughly 10 minutes Thursday. They tell Caleb how their day went, how much they love and miss him, and how badly they want him home. 

"When it's getting late and we haven't called yet, (Brooke) immediately starts asking, 'When are we calling Daddy? When are we calling Daddy — I need to talk to the doctors,' Brooke says. She needs to talk to the doctors because she wants to tell them to 'take care of her daddy,'" Jessica said.

"She wants to tell her daddy to 'keep fighting.' She tells him every day that she misses him," Jessica said. 

On July 26, Jessica said her husband began experiencing symptoms of the coronavirus: shortness of breath, high fever, and a dry cough. Those symptoms became worse the following day. 

"Every time he would start to cough, it would turn into a coughing attack, and then that would cause him to completely go out of breath," Jessica said.

At first, Caleb refused to get tested for COVID-19, or go to the hospital.

"He was so hard-headed," Jessica said. "He didn't want to see a doctor, because he didn't want to be part of the statistics with COVID tests."

Caleb instead began taking tablets of ivermectin (an anti-parasitic medicine the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has since urged people not to take for COVID-19), high doses of Vitamin C, zinc aspirin, and an inhaler. By July 30, however, Caleb was taken by a relative to the emergency room at Shannon Medical Center.

.Caleb would tell me, 'You know masks aren't going to save you,' but he understood I wanted to wear them. It gives me comfort to know that maybe, just maybe, I'm either protecting someone or avoiding it myself."

A medical device known as an ECMO machine is Jessica's "last hope," but all her efforts so far to find an available device have proven unsuccessful.

Short for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, the ECMO machine works by inserting a plastic tube into a large vein and/or artery through the neck, chest or groin of the patient. Essentially, the device helps patients by acting as their heart and lungs, giving organs a chance to rest and heal.

As of Aug. 21, 2021, the number of hospitals who have available ECMO machines are scarce, and thanks to COVID-19, the waiting list is long.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Calling my shot.  I think we may have peaked/are peaking in Texas. Covid nowcast has had Rt below 1 in the state for over a week, and cases look to be leveling off/falling.  Hospitalizations are also slowing. My WAG is hospitalizations peak next week. One question is whether schools keep this wave fired up.  I'm betting no, but we'll see.  

Not to worry, once this wave dies down, there will be another large one this winter.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's my piece:  
Well said. I threw $50 her way. I do feel for her and the kids.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

So you’ll have a bang maid for 2.2 days tops.   

I think you can probably get a bang maid, if they are live in for free and you don’t ask them to do too terribly much for $1000 or $1500 or so if you mail order it. That’s what I was told anyway. And it makes sense. But that’s light sex work. And light house work. But not near as expensive as you are making it out to be. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think you can probably get a bang maid, if they are live in for free and you don’t ask them to do too terribly much for $1000 or $1500 or so if you mail order it. That’s what I was told anyway. And it makes sense. But that’s light sex work. And light house work. But not near as expensive as you are making it out to be. 

Where would you be  mail ordering from?  Can you get a hot, young Eastern European for that, or are we talking about a plump 40-something from somewhere south of here?  Asking for a friend.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Where would you be  mail ordering from?  Can you get a hot, young Eastern European for that, or are we talking about a plump 40-something from somewhere south of here?  Asking for a friend.

Best bet is Phillipines is my understanding.  Probably not super hot. Or 30 something 6 from somewhere south of here. I’m told. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

download (19).jpeg

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I thought a blowjob on demand girl cost $120 Million dollars? Somebody is doing it wrong 

886 cases in Travis County today (including the weekend) This is ~150 more than last Monday.

There are 604 people hospitalized, down 34 from this day last week.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/30 vs 8/27 12 98 113 207 176 110 91 44 25 10 886
% of Daily Change 1.35% 11.06% 12.75% 23.36% 19.86% 12.42% 10.27% 4.97% 2.82% 1.13%  
% of Total Cases 0.71% 4.89% 10.89% 25.78% 20.85% 14.73% 10.86% 6.36% 3.02% 1.90%  

886 cases in Travis County today (including the weekend) This is ~150 more than last Monday.
There are 604 people hospitalized, down 34 from this day last week.
Age Bracket 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/30 vs 8/27 12 98 113 207 176 110 91 44 25 10 886
% of Daily Change 1.35% 11.06% 12.75% 23.36% 19.86% 12.42% 10.27% 4.97% 2.82% 1.13%  
% of Total Cases 0.71% 4.89% 10.89% 25.78% 20.85% 14.73% 10.86% 6.36% 3.02% 1.90%  
Orange slices for everyone!!!

14 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Don’t forget football season starts soon.

That’s at least outdoors in most cases, and a decent chunk of the crowd can be vaccinated. 
primary school children don’t have that option, and the ones that don’t mask probably have non masking parents to bring it home to. 

17 hours ago, Red Six said:

I'm wondering if they don't have much more capacity at the moment, so the numbers can't increase further.

14 hours ago, XYZ said:

This.

looks like there's some facilities that can be converted still, though no idea if there's enough personnel to actually staff it

TMC-COVID-19-Monitoring-Metrics-8-31-202

724 cases in Travis County today (up 100 from this day last week). Still heavily over normal rates in the youth categories. Interesting thing is hospitalizations dropped below 600 for first time since Aug 16th at 583, so that is a positive (will see with higher case count thus far this week if that trend maintains in future).

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/30 vs 8/27 10 77 86 168 143 108 73 37 16 6 724
% of Daily Change 1.38% 10.64% 11.88% 23.20% 19.75% 14.92% 10.08% 5.11% 2.21% 0.83%  
% of Total Cases 0.72% 4.93% 10.90% 25.76% 20.84% 14.73% 10.86% 6.35% 3.02% 1.89%  

This date last year we had 82 cases day over day with cases in the youth categories of 19 total (23.17%). Interestingly enough it is not that big a % difference in the daily share of cases. 23.89% represents the share of the youth categories in 2021 on a day over day basis (8/31 vs 8/30).

<1 (2)

1 to 9 (6)

10 to 19 (11)